New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

tongue D&D 3.5 Slavery?

So my DM is known to make our campaigns pretty hard which is actually really fine with us players. So we usually have a back up character in case ours die and we can't revive them. So i came up with an idea for a character but they actually like slavery. For this character I want one or two slaves to follow them around and help fight. But me and my DM have never really seen this in books so i was wondering if there was a book that talked about that. Yes this is a little dark but this character will be chaotic something (probs evil or neutral) So i'd like some help with finding the information i need. And just as a side note i have always hated slavery and always will i think it is a barbaric practice BUT i think it would add a nice layer to our campaign and allow for more role playing.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 3.5 Slavery?

slavery rules are on p 101 of lords of madness. formula is (cr^ 2) x 100gp. price may increase by 100% for great strength, beauty, skill, or exotic origin

thayan slaver is a class structured around catching new slaves and maintaining your collection. it grants a killer spell list

crimson scourge is a slave hunter class structured around tracking down escaped slaves. it gives a bunch of cool abilities including immunity to nonlethal, which is half the battle in becoming unkillable via hp damage.

bloodhound and justiciar aren't directly tied to slavery, but are mundane people hunters so may grab your interest if your game is very low op.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Clearing it with the DM beforehand is good; I'd suggest also clearing it with the other players as well.

There's a Psionic class called Thrallherd that's particularly well-suited to this concept. I suspect there are some items on this in Drow of the Underdark, but I'm away from the books at the moment.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    slavery rules are on p 101 of lords of madness. formula is (cr^ 2) x 100gp. price may increase by 100% for great strength, beauty, skill, or exotic origin

thayan slaver is a class structured around catching new slaves and maintaining your collection. it grants a killer spell list

crimson scourge is a slave hunter class structured around tracking down escaped slaves. it gives a bunch of cool abilities including immunity to nonlethal, which is half the battle in becoming unkillable via hp damage.

bloodhound and justiciar aren't directly tied to slavery, but are mundane people hunters so may grab your interest if your game is very low op.
    Awesome. Thank you so much. Do you know what books where i could fine thayan slaver and crimson scourge or is it also in the lords of madness? ( i gotta get the PDF of that book but i will ) Also thanks for the hints about the justiciar but I don't think I'll be looking into that since it does require a lawful character.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Clearing it with the DM beforehand is good; I'd suggest also clearing it with the other players as well.

There's a Psionic class called Thrallherd that's particularly well-suited to this concept. I suspect there are some items on this in Drow of the Underdark, but I'm away from the books at the moment.
    My DM is actually already looking up the rules about that with me as for the other players. We all sort of surprise each other. So they won't actually know about this character unless they are introduced. And that is if my first character dies and can't be revived.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FTG72 View Post
    Awesome. Thank you so much. Do you know what books where i could fine thayan slaver and crimson scourge or is it also in the lords of madness?
    IIRC, Thayan Slaver is found in Unapproachable East.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Forcing people to work for you, when it exists as a societal structure (i.e. is known, is accepted, has codified customs and practices), is associated with Lawful Evil, but can occur in Lawful Neutral and Neutral Evil contexts. Forcing people to work for you in other environments would be Chaotic Evil or possibly Chaotic Neutral. The position on the Good/Evil axis is determined by the harshness of the forcing, naturally.

I personally wouldn't call something 'slavery' unless it existed in the former sense, using 'forced labour' for non-legal(ized) occurences. To quote the best source (Wikipedia ): "Slavery is, in the strictest sense of the term, any system in which principles of property law are applied to people" (it then goes on how slavery can be used in the broad sense, of course).

Anyhow. This point is relevant because, in D&D, slavery is assocated with Law. Wee Jas is one deity canonically acceptive of slavery, as is Hextor, who might even be called keen on slavery. You could play an Ordained Champion of Hextor, for example, which combines nicely with Prestige Paladin of Tyranny (if this is allowed) on a cleric base.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2017-09-20 at 03:54 PM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FTG72 View Post
    Awesome. Thank you so much. Do you know what books where i could fine thayan slaver and crimson scourge or is it also in the lords of madness? ( i gotta get the PDF of that book but i will ) Also thanks for the hints about the justiciar but I don't think I'll be looking into that since it does require a lawful character.
    Happy to be of assistance. I always relish the chance to whip out the obscure slavery rules.

Thayan slaver is indeed in unapproachable east p37
    crimson scourge is in cityscape p92
    justiciar is is in complete warrior p47
    bloodhound is on page 28

I understand rejecting justiciar for being a weak class, but is there some kind of mechanical reason you can't be lawful? alignment's meaningless nonsense and all, but within its confines, slavery's usually considered pretty Lawful
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Happy to be of assistance. I always relish the chance to whip out the obscure slavery rules.
    I understand rejecting justiciar for being a weak class, but is there some kind of mechanical reason you can't be lawful? alignment's meaningless nonsense and all, but within its confines, slavery's usually considered pretty Lawful
    Because i feel like the way she'll be using slaves is more chaotic then lawful. She uses it for her pleasure and for economic gain. She's not really doing because she's like a certain race isn't worthy of being non slaves. It's more like well person can cost some gold. Let's capture and sell them.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

whatever works for you. let us know how it goes.

Iron Chef Medals!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Wait, do you even need mecahnics for slaves? what for? Can't you just have some people weaker than you are and tell them "fight for me, or else", and call it a day?

I assume the trick with slavery here will be to have the slave(s) powerful enough that they are useful, but not so powerful that they can escape or betray you. It's a fairly fine line, so it should give an appropriate level for those slaves.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

12. - Top - End - #12

Necrotic Tumor?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    Wait, do you even need mecahnics for slaves? what for? Can't you just have some people weaker than you are and tell them "fight for me, or else", and call it a day?

I assume the trick with slavery here will be to have the slave(s) powerful enough that they are useful, but not so powerful that they can escape or betray you. It's a fairly fine line, so it should give an appropriate level for those slaves.
    Well she is not only going to have slaves for her self but also she's going to steal people to sell. Plus there are three types of slaves i'd love for her to have at all times. A great fighter to be her meat shield and sword, a non-lethal fighter that knows how to tie people up to sell, and a pack mule to carry her stuff. That's the three that's going to be kept with her at all times but the others she's going to just sell and trade so she has a source of income.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

whatever works for you. let us know how it goes.
    I will if and when the character i'm playing right now dies and can't be brought back to life because of reasons.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post

In societies where slavery is normal/legal, escaping slaves would have to deal with the full power of the authorities, just as any other criminal. Even if the slaves have enough power to run away, they may not have enough to survive on the run.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirNibbles View Post
    In societies where slavery is normal/legal, escaping slaves would have to deal with the full power of the authorities, just as any other criminal. Even if the slaves have enough power to run away, they may not have enough to survive on the run.
    This is exacerbated because in these legal systems, it's illegal to hide them or aid them in escaping, so the general population will be inclined to look the other way to escape criminal prosecution.

Iron Chef Medals!