New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default Gaining Divinity, Bit By Bit.

In the game im currently running the gods all died fighting each other, bits of Divine Essence, simply refered to as Power in universe was scattered all over the world, beings are constantly fighting to gather it up in attempts to ascend to quasi-godhood.

Seeing as how i have players, its pretty much guaranteed that they'll find ways to gather up some themselves but i want the quasi-godhood to be something they have to purposefully go after it but to still reward them if they. To that end this is what i have so far.

Power
    50 units of Power to become a Godling, 100 for greater Godling.

Up to 25 units can be used for misc. Bonuses.

1 to 1 ratio for stat increases. (Max +8 per stat)
    1 for +10ft movement.
    1 for +5 to a skill
    2 for Fast Healing 5 (max 15)
    2 for +2 to all saves
    3 bonus feat
    3 for a knowledge of all languages
    5 to gain spells as a 1st lvl wiz or cleric.(another 5 to cast as a 3rd lvl caster, and another 5 as a 5th)

Can anybody think of any more options for the list or maybe just a better way of piecemealing divinity?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gaining Divinity, Bit By Bit.

I was just reading the other day about how (I think it was) spellthieves were originally created by someone accidentally falling into the remains of a fallen god. Maybe you can buy levels in another class, maybe that fill in as a quasi gestalt type thing?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

All the things that are part of having Divine Ranks? DR, SR, resistances, Max HP, immunities. Scale the increases as slowly as you like.

4. - Top - End - #4

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    In the game im currently running the gods all died fighting each other, bits of Divine Essence, simply refered to as Power in universe was scattered all over the world, beings are constantly fighting to gather it up in attempts to ascend to quasi-godhood.

Seeing as how i have players, its pretty much guaranteed that they'll find ways to gather up some themselves but i want the quasi-godhood to be something they have to purposefully go after it but to still reward them if they. To that end this is what i have so far.

Power
    50 units of Power to become a Godling, 100 for greater Godling.

Up to 25 units can be used for misc. Bonuses.

1 to 1 ratio for stat increases. (Max +8 per stat)
    1 for +10ft movement.
    1 for +5 to a skill
    2 for Fast Healing 5 (max 15)
    2 for +2 to all saves
    3 bonus feat
    3 for a knowledge of all languages
    5 to gain spells as a 1st lvl wiz or cleric.(another 5 to cast as a 3rd lvl caster, and another 5 as a 5th)

Can anybody think of any more options for the list or maybe just a better way of piecemealing divinity?
    Look up the Birthright Campaign Setting, is my suggestion. It's got a similar theme going on: the gods died long ago fighting the great evil, and as they died their power washed over those nearby, granting them Bloodlines. There's also a whole Highlander aspect of killing people to eat their power, in addition to being able to pass power directly to people an some other stuff, but what you might be most interested in is the Bloodline Powers that people can roll for. I know there's a 3rd/3.5 fan conversion floating around on the internet. There's also the 2nd edition books for the campaign setting. But either way, the point would be to check that list over and either lift ideas off it, or use it for inspiration in writing your own (or both).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

3 to gain access to a Domain power of your choice.
    5 to gain Followers (per the Leadership Score table). (Gotta have worshipers, right?)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Does spending power count against becoming a godling?
    i.e if I have 50 power, and I put 2 into fast healing 5, then do I drop to 48? If so, can I remove it to get back to 50?

Also, 5 power for an epic feat seems like a bit much, then again, epic feats are pretty bad.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

7. - Top - End - #7

Devil

No, basically the idea is that from 1-25 you get these bonuses, then at 50 you become a lesser godling, gaining access to a single domain and the ability to grant spells up to 4th level spells, then at 100 you get a second domain and fully grant spells.

The step from greater godling to full fledged deity is still up in the air, probably has more to do with number of worshipers than Power.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I would suggest using the pathfinder mythic system having each tier represent multiple divine points gains as they acclimate to the foreign power, like gather 5-10 and gain a tier