New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Evocative names for real nations

Quote Originally Posted by Bogwoppit View Post
    Take your pick - there a host of alternate news for the lands of the Caribbean.
    *Spoon-feeding in the Playground*
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Toponymy+of+the+Caribbean+islands
    While I agree with he premise of your posts (as a lurker), this sort stuff really doesn't help endear anyone to your point (or you).

At OP: maybe you ought to just read up on some history of the locations you're trying to emulate? That way you can decide exactly *how* alternate history you are gonna be, by being informed about these places' history. While you decide where he deviations occur, you can start to craft an idea of what people from the home of the PCs call each nation. Also, it might be fun, history is surprisingly interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    That's a RAW abuse. Fortunately, like many RAW abuses, it has its counter built in by way of more stupid RAW: tripping does not, in fact, cause you to fall.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    A lot of countries' real names are slightly inaccurate or use words in unconventional fashions. How about making them accurate. For instance
    *The United States of America becomes the United Administrative Divisions of America.
    My personal favorite US-knockoff country name is "Federal Unites". It lets you write 'FU' on everything, and here in the states the moment we hear the world 'Federal', we immediately think about the US government.

You could try something like 'Unified Atlantic States'. The acronym (UAS) is close enough. And if you want to simplify the world map somewhat, it also lets you roll up a few other countries in there (i.e. canada, mexico, cuba, other Caribbean islands).
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2017-09-25 at 11:54 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTrevor View Post
    Sooooo aside from being unhelpful and snarky, you're also going to ignore the Alt. History nature of the request and insist that the only possible evocative names are just ones people already use.

Mmmmmmk.
    You're not reading the linked articles then? There's a bunch of articles there about why the Caribbean islands have the names they now do - from which you can extrapolate new new that fit those conventions - and alternative names that have been historically used.
    My point is that the names we use now come from somewhere, and only by understanding that can we make new evocative names that make sense.
    You can't just pluck some sounds out the air and you can't just use the name of some part of the country as the whole name without dealing with WHY that's happened. It'd be like call the whole USA "New England" - it ignores the rest of the history of the other parts. Maybe the counterfactual history includes the British Empire expanding continuously into the continent - but this is an alternate history you're going to have to deal with when you create a name like that, as others in this thread have already pointed out.

Now, as for examples, let's see - Caribbean: Puerto Nova, The Majestic Islands, Kalinago
    - Netherlands: Lowlands, Platland
    - England: Anglia, The Mercian Empire (Mercia held out against the Danes instead of Wessex)
    - France: Gaulle, Grande Aquitaine (the Hundred Years War ending significantly differently)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Poitescme (pronounced "pwah tehm") is a mythological region in the south of France. They're often at war with the Saracens, a golden age Moslem empire.
    If it's not obvious, insert a after my post.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Please don't - Albion is for the whole of Great Britain, including England, Scotland and Wales. And please, if you don't know why that's important, then please don't try to steal our culture.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albion
    Unless your a UK citizen, England and UK are essentially synonymous, even though they aren't.

Again, please don't use the "-stan" ending for a non-Persian-based place. Same reasons as above, really.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/-stan
    Eh, the -stan suffix just means place. So Afghanastan is just Place of the Afghans.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Unless you're a UK citizen, England and UK are essentially synonymous, even though they aren't.

Eh, the -stan suffix just means place. So Afghanistan is just Place of the Afghans.
    So let's call Canada the USA and Japan a part of China, right? There have been wars over these differences - discussions of which would be against forum rules.
    Just because it's a common mistake doesn't mean it shouldn't be called out. It's insulting to the overlooked nations, it shows you don't care.

And -stan is a Farsi (Persian) suffix, so it'd only really be appropriate for a pseudo-Caribbean location if it was Persians who discovered and colonised it. Which would be fine if that was the plan, but from the OP, it seemed like they were after a fairly vanilla piratical adventure setting.
    Last edited by Bogwoppit; 2017-09-25 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Spelling, grammar

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Since there is a lot of mess about what should be culturally and historically appropriate for this 'reworked' Planet Earth, maybe BlacKnight should give us more details about it so we can come out with better ideas.

For example, if Jews had a larger part in the culture of this world, Ashkenaz could be a good name for Germany, and Sepharad for Spain.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Considering that by the end of that century, the British Empire was being called "the Empire on which the sun never sets", that seems - confusing.

For Spain, I agree the historic names of some of its precursor kingdoms seems like the way to go. I suggest Castille.

For France, how about the Carolian Kingdom (from Charlemagne)?

For England, Anglia. (For Wales, Cymru; for Scotland, Alba or Hibernia; for Ireland, Eireann. For the whole of Great Britain - Albion works.)

Kinda true... but still, I'd be uncomfortable with that argument. Casual racism is not really something I want to give a foothold to.
    Pretty sure it isn't racist to point out that Scots eat haggis and play bagpipes.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Pretty sure it isn't racist to point out that Scots eat haggis and play bagpipes.
    It is pretty awful to call an entire culture by some specific aspects of it though.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

You'd think that people who roleplay about fighting trolls would know better than to feed them...

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

I want to second the early suggestion of looking at 7th Sea and how they're reworked Europe to fit their fantasy world of Thea. The nations/countries in 7th Sea are *clearly* not-Spain, not-Germany, not-Italy, etc, but they did a lot of interesting fluffing around them too to also make them interesting.

I haven't finished reading the book yet, but it is very well-written and it seems they did a lot of work in world-building.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Depends on the alt-history, really, and the . I do love how the most recent MTG expansion had their conquistador-equivalents be vampires, for example, as a gentle poke towards "Sun Kingdoms" of Western Europe.

You can also mix and match territories. For example, France, Germany, Belgium, Luxemborg & The Netherlands could all be a single empire called Gaul, or Gallia, or variations thereof. The Caribbean islands could have already been settled, be called something like "New Phoenicia".

Heck, you could have your alt-history be that Rome expanded via boats instead of via roads, so you could simply apply various Roman terms to the islands of the faux-Caribbean, and go from there.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thanks for the answers !
    The 7th Sea setting is exactly what I was searching for. Altough it seems to concentrate too much on not-Europe instead of not-Caribbean. But it's very valuable.

I understand the linguistic and historical problem, but really my campaign is not something so refined. It's just a pulp setting for having a little fun. So if names aren't exactly correct or there is no plausible history for them... it doesn't matter. My players won't notice and I don't want to waste time on useless stuff.
    That said I think the Netherlands is going to be the Seven Provinces, while France and Spain has to struggle for having the "Sun" in their name... so I'm deciding which is better between Gaul and Aragon. Having Spain and Italy fused is another interesting possibility.

For the Caribbean I'm probably going to just change a little the real names (maybe I could switch the languages, so that Puerto Rico is Port Riche or Rijke Poort). But also having some roman or greek names would add an unique flavour to the setting. And it would also provide an excuse for a precursor civilization or something like that.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    It is pretty awful to call an entire culture by some specific aspects of it though.
    Only if the aspects are some of the negative aspects.

Of course, if you really hate haggis and bagpipes, you might think that was the case in the example.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Only if the aspects are some of the negative aspects.
    A stereotype is a stereotype whether it is positive or negativeis irrelevant.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2017-09-28 at 05:23 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by BlacKnight View Post
    Thanks for the answers !
    The 7th Sea setting is exactly what I was searching for. Altough it seems to concentrate too much on not-Europe instead of not-Caribbean. But it's very valuable.
    As I recall there's a 7th Sea expansion that covers pirates, and its own pseudo-Caribbean.

I understand the linguistic and historical problem, but really my campaign is not something so refined. It's just a pulp setting for having a little fun. So if names aren't exactly correct or there is no plausible history for them... it doesn't matter. My players won't notice and I don't want to waste time on useless stuff.
    As a suggestion one of the options to go with for the Caribbean is name the islands after what their actual name is, rather than what the current territory is calls. For example Hispaniola is the name of the island that the Dominican Republic and Haiti are situated on, most people probably don't realize that it even has a name. So if you want two countries on the same island Hispaniola Majoris and Hispaniola Minoris might be a good way to differentiate. Also, try spelling things the way they are in original language and pronouncing them that way too rather than how you might in English. Havana in Spanish is Habana, and pronounced with the B rather than the V sound we have in English.

That said I think the Netherlands is going to be the Seven Provinces, while France and Spain has to struggle for having the "Sun" in their name... so I'm deciding which is better between Gaul and Aragon. Having Spain and Italy fused is another interesting possibility.
    Remember that Spain until the 13th/14th century was actually a bunch of smaller countries, and only after that period did its two largest members create Spain. Also, Spain was once the Kingdom of León

For the Caribbean I'm probably going to just change a little the real names (maybe I could switch the languages, so that Puerto Rico is Port Riche or Rijke Poort). But also having some roman or greek names would add an unique flavour to the setting. And it would also provide an excuse for a precursor civilization or something like that.
    Another option is to just remember substantial Spanish influence is as simple as changing the name from Spain, or some variation, to something like Navarre, León, Castile, Aragon, Galacia, or something else from the pre-Spanish kingdoms.

Other thoughts:

Europe: Europa, not original but it sounds old timey
    British Isles: Albion
    Ireland: Éire (actual name in Irish Gaelic)
    France: Gallia (or Wiwi if you go Maori, derived from how the French say "yes, yes")
    Netherlands/Holland: Hulandes (derivative of the name in a local language)
    Canada: Acadia
    USA: Columbia
    Germany: Alemannia
    Iceland: Thule
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2017-09-28 at 12:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    What do we call them, then? Obviously not "Scots," since location is just one aspect of their culture and that would be racist.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

For extra fun, refer to the Netherlands by the name of another province (Holland is one, what are the other eleven?). For example, Zeeland (yes, what New Zealand is named for), Friesland (Frisia, people are famously tall here), or Drenthe (a lot of heath, some peat bogs--this would be more of an in-joke, because this only had about 20 000 inhabitants in the early 18th century, and no right to vote within the Union).
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2017-09-29 at 11:54 AM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Firbolg in the Playground

or maybe Eriksonia
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

20. - Top - End - #50

So let's call Canada the USA and Japan a part of China, right? There have been wars over these differences - discussions of which would be against forum rules.
    Just because it's a common mistake doesn't mean it shouldn't be called out. It's insulting to the overlooked nations, it shows you don't care.
    If I'm playing an RPG in my own home and I make up a fantasy name for a real world inspired country, I absolutely do not care if that might offend some hypothetical people who I don't know and never will.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    If I'm playing an RPG in my own home and I make up a fantasy name for a real world inspired country, I absolutely do not care if that might offend some hypothetical people who I don't know and never will.
    Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking.

So you go right ahead.

22. - Top - End - #52

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking.

So you go right ahead.
    But since your idea of 'doing the right thing' is not committing such crimes as re-stickering England as 'Albion' and Scotland as 'Orkney' in a private tabletop RPG session, it's an absurdly trivial, nitpicking concern that any normal person would consider a non-issue.
    Last edited by Mr Beer; 2017-09-29 at 04:04 AM.

93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

If you want your players to hate your names, name the Netherlands "Grachten". It doesn't have any links to historical names (a gracht is a canal or a moat inside or around a city, distinct from the word kanaal (canal, in the case of the British one also channel) and sloot (ditch, either continually or very regularly containing large amounts of water)), but it's one of the most Dutch word to pronounce imaginable and since we do have a place called Drachten Grachten sounds like it could easily be a real geographical name.

No, I don't know why nobody in your setting invented an English name for the place.

Batavia is also pretty acceptable, it's one of those historical terms that started long enough ago and has been used often enough that nobody can really object to it on the grounds of it being only part of the country and stuff like that. Do note that in the real world Jakarta in Indonesia was called Batavia during the Dutch reign there, try not to confuse your players with that.

For Belgium just Belgica would work. Terms like Brabantia, Flandria, Wallonia are all loaded terms when playing with some actual Belgians, but if you don't have any each of those if usable.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2017-09-29 at 06:27 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    But since your idea of 'doing the right thing' is not committing such crimes as re-stickering England as 'Albion' and Scotland as 'Orkney' in a private tabletop RPG session, it's an absurdly trivial, nitpicking concern that any normal person would consider a non-issue.
    We're not supposed to discuss political current affairs here, so I'll just suggest you go look elsewhere for the historical and present day objections to the Scots and Welsh being conflated with / ruled by the English.
    As for "Orkney" being acceptable - the word includes an element meaning island, so it's just plain wrong unless you re-do your pseudo-Scotland as an island.

There are of course other name suggestions that have come up here that I've also pointed out problems with, but you're only interested in picking on the ones you think after silliest - because you don't seem to give a damn about respect for minorities and their cultures.

Lastly, I started offering comments about how names for places might be offensive with the word "Please". You insist on privacy as a defence. You can go ahead and say any offensive, insensitve, dismissive crap in your own home.
    Last edited by Bogwoppit; 2017-09-29 at 11:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

As for "Orkney" being acceptable - the word includes an element meaning island, so it's just plain wrong unless you re-do your pseudo-Scotland as an island.
    Insofar the etymology is at all relevant (which it isn't), that's easily solved. The early settlers of Scotland either mistook it for an island, or it's the name of all of Britain. Big deal.

Lastly, I started offering comments about how names for places might be offensive with the word "Please".
    'Please' is not in and of itself enough to excuse unconstructive nitpicking.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm British, of mixed heritage (Scottish, Welsh, Irish and English), and yes, I'd be a bit pissed off if someone named an England-substitute "Albion" - why not use "Avalon", or "Anglia", or something else that is more English, or at least isn't inherently British - but I think we're well past the point of the OP now.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Angel Isles - Great Britain and Ireland
    Galliant - France
    Ibisnia - Spain
    Dankshain - Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

28. - Top - End - #58

DrowGuy

Other thoughts:

Europe: Europa, not original but it sounds old timey
    British Isles: Albion
    Ireland: Éire (actual name in Irish Gaelic)
    France: Gallia (or Wiwi if you go Maori, derived from how the French say "yes, yes")
    Canada: Acadia
    Germany: Alemannia
    Iceland: Thule
    let's take that one a bit further: france has always (since the merovingians at least) been divided north-south by the tongue they spoke before french. the north was "langue d'oïl" and the south was "langue d'oc" or "languedoc", "oïl" and "oc" were the ways people said "yes". so, there's some food for thought in that tidbit of info. being from an area in the current languedoc, i'd be pretty chauvinistic in saying "name your ersatz france that". but i'll do it anyway. "france" is named that simply because it was the kingdom of the tribe that prospered there, ie, the franks. it was gaul, could have been the merovingian kingdom, was the carolingian empire, then they settled on france because remembering the different royal lineages is a pain even for me, a french historian specialized in medieval history.

and, because i can't resist feeding the trolls,

Quote Originally Posted by bogwoppit
    - France: Gaulle, Grande Aquitaine (the Hundred Years War ending significantly differently)
    you can take my raymond's cross from my cold, dead hands before i call myself aquitain. (the duchy of aquitaine and the county of toulouse have been mortal enemies for about 1000 years, give or take. it's still a very serious rivalry to this day). plus, and more significantly, aquitaine was british, so essentially, you'd be making france english with a name like that.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    you can take my raymond's cross from my cold, dead hands before i call myself aquitain. (the duchy of aquitaine and the county of toulouse have been mortal enemies for about 1000 years, give or take. it's still a very serious rivalry to this day). plus, and more significantly, aquitaine was british, so essentially, you'd be making france english with a name like that.
    That is exactly my point.

30. - Top - End - #60

We're not supposed to discuss political current affairs here, so I'll just suggest you go look elsewhere for the historical and present day objections to the Scots and Welsh being conflated with / ruled by the English.

There are of course other name suggestions that have come up here that I've also pointed out problems with, but you're only interested in picking on the ones you think after silliest - because you don't seem to give a damn about respect for minorities and their cultures.

Lastly, I started offering comments about how names for places might be offensive with the word "Please". You insist on privacy as a defence. You can go ahead and say any offensive, insensitve, dismissive crap in your own home.
    I'm not going to support your agenda of being offended over non-issues by going any further down this rabbit hole with you.