New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [BITPRē] Kyuukyoku Gaiden: The Beachdown Apocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Of course he could, he just won't, for better or for worse. "Did you ask a name from the person you got a ride from? Or do you remember their car's registry plate?"

Meanwhile, Svetlana found a parking spot at the corner of a city block, between a few other cars. Sarah can see from the passenger side's window that there's a cafeteria in the building right next to them. It's too bad they don't have any money.

On the driver's side and ahead, there's just an empty street and grey haze, with just distant traffic lights and headlights of other cars managing to break through on occasion.
    Koutarou makes an effort to try and remember the random plate of any car he's seen on the way here, which he promptly abandons. "Sorry, no. I felt quite... disoriented making my way here. I'm sure it's not difficult to surmise that waking up one day somewhere you couldn't recognize remembering nothing but your name can be very... disconcerting.

I don't think I was drugged or anything of the like, but a couple of hours in from when I first got here it felt like things were quite surreal."
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

"I can believe that", the officer says. "Since your memory is light on details, there is no need to prolong this interview. We will see if any new evidence turns out that indicates a crime. Is there anything you'd like to add before we let you go?"

A distant rumble resonates through the building. Thunder. Svetlana and Sarah might've seen the flash from their car. Looks like this storm will last at least as long as the sudden snowfall.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

3. - Top - End - #303
    Colossus in the Playground

A thought occurs to Sarah. The snow the other night wasn't natural, was it? Maybe the rain ins't either.

Sarah might not be able to force the soul of a false body to reject the spirit inhabiting it, but she has no problems looking at water as an inatinmate object.

She reaches out and tries to sense the souls of the rain droplets--she doesn't think the clouds are close enough to fullbring, but she'll try anyway.

Does anything feel "off" about the sudden down pour?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

She can't sense them from inside the van - the artificial structure forms a sort of a barrier around her, muting the natural world outside. She'll have to step out and risk being soaked.

5. - Top - End - #305

Before doing so, Sarah checks if rolling down a window and sticking her arm out will work instead.

Child, what are you...?

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

Well that works too.

The water is cold against her skin. If it has a soul, it pays her no heed, continuing to fall down according to natural law. It's almost as if she stuck her hand into another world - a world that does not care about her nor her powers, one where she is small and insignificant.

It's in stark contrast to the warmth inside the van, though that warmth will quickly flee if she keeps the window open. She may have noticed a difference between man-made and natural things before, but now it's as clear as the difference between white and black.

It's also a far cry from Hueco Mundo. There, the environment may have seemed desolate, but spiritually, it was dense, heavy with longing, with unsatisfied desire and whispers of those who have perished. She could feel her powers growing just breathing in that oppressive air.

Here, right now, she gets a feeling that if she were to step in that freezing downpour, it would wash away what little spiritual connection she has to the world around and just leave her soaking wet and miserable.

7. - Top - End - #307

Sarh quickly pulls her arm inside and rolls the window back up.

"There's no way in Hell this storm is natural. It's just... it's like... Anti-Spirit. Like ghosts and stuff will get washed away and spiritual power depletes and... I don't even think the rain has a soul.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Orc in the Playground

"I can believe that", the officer says. "Since your memory is light on details, there is no need to prolong this interview. We will see if any new evidence turns out that indicates a crime. Is there anything you'd like to add before we let you go?"

A distant rumble resonates through the building. Thunder. Svetlana and Sarah might've seen the flash from their car. Looks like this storm will last at least as long as the sudden snowfall.
    "Yes. I have no idea why I seem to be proficient in this language in particular, if my apparent lineage is anything to go by... I should be having a lot more trouble with pronounciation. But I know I wasn't born here, so it's unlikely I received a dual education growing up in this country." That is stated more matter-of-factly than anything else, but...

"I think I might have come to this country in search of someone. A girl called Sarah. I get the feeling she ran away, but I don't know why."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

"There have been cases where memory loss has caused a person to suddenly gain fluency in a language they were only passingly familiar with. This said, I am no expert on such things", the officer muses, then raises an eyebrow at the sudden addition of a new person in Koutarou's narrative. "Who is this Sarah? Can you describe her to me?"

Elsewhere, as Sarah pulls her hand back and closes the window, it's like a barrier closing around her. The van's frame of plastic and steel, the fabric of her clothes, they are a shield between her and the cold world. The rain might not care, but other humans did and do. That intent lives on in all these man-made objects.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Orc in the Playground

Koutarou basically describes, you know, Sarah.

Just in case at any time he needs to establish that she's with him.

He obviously doesn't know Svetlana is back in the picture, nor who or what she is.

"I think I actually ran into her once since I got here. She may be keenly distrustful of law enforcement, so if you need to approach her for any reason, I suggest you take care to ensure she's not in any trouble."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

"We'll keep an eye out on her", the officer assures him after typing in the details. "I suggest you get yourself a cellphone so you can contact us if you see her, or so that we can contact you if anything turns up in the investigation. You can get a cheap prepaid plan from basically anywhere these days, and a basic phone from any big market. Is there still something you'd like to say?"

12. - Top - End - #312
    Orc in the Playground

"I think that about does it. I was also told there was a place I could apply for monetary aid? I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ah, the Social Insurance Institution. You can probably fill in the necessary applications on their web page, kela.fi. Or, if you can't find a place to use a computer in, you can visit their local office. It's not far, Eerikinkatu 26, I believe is their address. Have a safe journey." The officer stands up and offers a hand for a shake.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2018-05-08 at 03:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314

"You know I used to live in one of these?" Sarah says, referring to the van. I"It was in a nice secluded part of an abandoned junk yard... Well, abandoned by the living. There was a car crash victim chained to a cube of crushed metal and he eventually went hollow, but after I caved his skull in it was pretty quite. I think the van belonged to a traveling hippy or something, because there was a water bed in the back. I had to move on after a couple of weeks. The land got bought up by a develeper or something. I think there's a Motel 6 there now."

Sarah's mostly just making small talk. Is there any sign of the rain stopping anytime soon?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Orc in the Playground

"Ah, the Social Insurance Institution. You can probably fill in the necessary applications on their web page, kela.fi. Or, if you can't find a place to use a computer in, you can visit their local office. It's not far, Eerikinkatu 26, I believe is their address. Have a safe journey." The officer stands up and offers a hand for a shake.
    Koutarou isn't too used to the gesture, but he manages a smile and a shake of his own before he's off to FILL IN PAPERWORK!

I mean, why not ignore matrix glitches a little while longer.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Sarah's mostly just making small talk. Is there any sign of the rain stopping anytime soon?
    No. On the contrary, this looks like one of those rains that'll go on for the whole day and maybe the next one too. A slight nudge in the spiritual landscape tells Sarah that Koutarou has gotten on the move again, being the only perceptible development at the moment.

As for Koutarou, he's greeted by a merciless wind and a raging downpour the second he sets foot out of the station. It's not much better than the blizzard earlier. His next destination is only half a kilometer away, but that's long enough to get him drenched no matter how fast he tries to make it.

There's someone else standing on the sidewalk across the street, facing Koutarou. The heavy rain is obscuring their figure somewhat, but it's some dude in a black jacket and mirror shades. Water drips down their shoulders, their clothes, their nose, as they wait there.

17. - Top - End - #317

Svetlana makes a judgment call: Waiting out the rain doesn't seem to be an option, so she restarts the van and starts driving, slowly, to somewhere else as the current location is rather conspicous if they'd end up having to sleep in the van.

Sarah ends up giving her directions, as best she can, to the police station and the Shinigami outside it. If Sarah's really going to do this, she's going to freaking commit.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

Isn't that the guy who lent him money for these clothes?

Koutarou looks around. In Japan, police stations often have courtesy umbrellas to help people caught in the rain, the only condition being that one gives it back afterwards. Maybe the same could happen here.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

No such luck for Koutarou here. Spare umbrellas aren't a custom in this part of a world.

He is correct that it's the same man as before. But before he gets to dwell on this, a van appears from his left and drives between them.

He can see Sarah on the passenger's side, facing him. The trip to the station was shorter by car than they thought. Just a few left turns and stretches of straight street to get around a city block. Now they just have to get their van parked nearby.

Of course, Koutarou's never seen the driver, Svetlana, and can feel Hollow Reiatsu coming from her.

20. - Top - End - #320

Svetlana does her best to park the vehicle(if it isn't already.)

(Beyond that, I want to wait for Koutarou's reaction)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Orc in the Playground

Looks like Sarah made a new friend. Or is that an old one?

The Hollow Reiatsu puts him on guard out of habit, but the fact no one seems to be screaming in pain from the direction they came from is a good sign.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322

The vehicle parked, the girl and the woman step out of the van. Sarah stays close to Svetlana, indicating that the hollow feeling woman is familiar. Sarah seems to be frightened of the rain.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

They didn't have to search far, there was an empty parking square by the sidewalk less than fifty meters from the station. Getting outside proves unpleasant; Sarah may be the only one suffering from existential dread due to the rain, but it's capable of making them all equally drenched and cold.

The man is still standing across the road, now in full view of everyone now that the van's parked, if they just bother to look. The sky flashes white and a dozen seconds later, rumble of approaching thunder follows.

24. - Top - End - #324

"W-what's going on here?"

Sarah looks at the man in the biker coat. Is this the same guy who told her to go to the police in the first place?
    Last edited by Rater202; 2018-05-16 at 04:52 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Orc in the Playground

"Thanks for the clothes again. I'd still be walking around in a swimsuit if it weren't for you."

Shunpou, of course, explains the 'how', just not the 'when'. Though the ominous flash of lightning was his best cue.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

It is the same man who told her to go to the police, as far as Sarah can tell. Also the same man Svetlana talked to at the river, if she bothers to look.

The man turns his head slowly to look at Koutarou, but otherwise stays put. "... you're welcome", he notes, barely audible through the rain.

As far as the answer to Sarah's question goes, nothing seems to be going on. Just the four of them in the rain.

27. - Top - End - #327

"Just so that everything is clear," Svetlana states as clearly as she can, "all three of us have independently encountered this man?"

Sarah thinks to herself that that's a little suspicious, but she doesn't voice this comment. She does know that if nothing happens soon, she's going to do her best to move inside as she would like to be out of the unnatural soul-washing-away rain.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Orc in the Playground

"I wouldn't know about the two of you, but I did encounter this man by myself." Koutarou replies. "I don't think I ever got your name, by the way."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    "I wouldn't know about the two of you, but I did encounter this man by myself." Koutarou replies. "I don't think I ever got your name, by the way."
    "Svetlana. I am Sarah's legal guardian. You would be Koutarou?"

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

"One day in the future, you will know me as Rautiainen, Mikael",, the man replies to the same question as Svetlana. He looks back and forth between Svetlana, Koutarou and Sarah. "So have you lot decided yet?"