1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    ?????
    SUCH KNOWLEDGE MUST BE MINE!
    Seriously, how you do that?
    1. Go to https://blogtrottr.com/

2. Input the OOTS RSS feed ( http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots.rss ) and your email address

3. Profit!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbebatman View Post
    Eh. I suspect that if Bloodfeast got taken down in battle, Belkar would be like "Aw. That sucks, he was cool. But at least he went down fighting." Whereas Scruffy dying would be a "big NO" moment.
    Example where Belkar was very especially concerned for the safety of Bloodfeast. Thus I believe he cares for 3 living beings. Scruffy, Bloodfeast and himself.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wesleytj View Post
    OK, shocked nobody has mentioned this yet...

The Sandstone/Sandrock thing. Do we think this is a typo, an honest mistake, or a major clue about our seemingly innocent dwarven acolytes?

I am leaning heavily towards the latter.
    It's a typo; it's already been corrected to Sandstone.

4. - Top - End - #34

It's important to get the right seat. Best to get one with a window, or one that is padded and has a seat-belt, or one that fits the length of your back and legs.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Two good gags that got me grinning:
    (1) Food wrappers
    (2) "And you were worried that she wouldn't fit in."

Quote Originally Posted by NihhusHuotAliro View Post
    It's important to get the right seat. Best to get one with a window, or one that is padded and has a seat-belt, or one that fits the length of your back and legs.
    Given that in Valhalla one is often fighting, drinking, and mostly carrying on, I suspect most seats are like benches at a picnic table.

(PS: Belkar agrees to tracking, and behaving like a ranger? We're all doomed! )
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-09-25 at 03:41 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #36

So, is this one of those instances where Durkon's player realizes that in order to have some fun, he needs to roll up another character to be stumbled upon during the game...?

(I know OOTS is not a game of DnD, but to me it is..... )
    Thanks to Gorbash Kazdar for the avatar: Edhelras Taladin, CG Male Moon Elf Ranger

7. - Top - End - #37

I like that Blackwing also has red eyes, indicating that they are sharing spells. The Giant certainly pays attention to details!

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post
    So, is this one of those instances where Durkon's player realizes that in order to have some fun, he needs to roll up another character to be stumbled upon during the game...?

No, I think it is a fake-out of that....
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

9. - Top - End - #39

PirateCaptain

Oh, god, now there are two Elans. ...Is Rich trying to tell us something about blond people?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Does this really make any sense? The vampires are outside, the Dwarven council is inside. Seems to me that the Order could just stay inside and guard the council. It would make for a terrible story, perhaps, but still...

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    IFTTT with the RSS feed as input is one possibility.

?????

Sorry, I don't grok your jive.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    1. Go to https://blogtrottr.com/

2. Input the OOTS RSS feed ( http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots.rss ) and your email address

3. Profit!
    10-4!

Quote Originally Posted by https://blogtrottr.com
    Your subscription to 'Order of the Stick' has been confirmed.
    WOO HOO!

Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Am I alone in thinking 'oh, so that door the vamps attacked was underground then'?
    It was obvious to me from the first time we saw them (last panel) that they were underground. Don't know why anyone got any other impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Zindaras View Post
    Does this really make any sense? The vampires are outside, the Dwarven council is inside. Seems to me that the Order could just stay inside and guard the council. It would make for a terrible story, perhaps, but still...
    But apparently some people did.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

13. - Top - End - #43

Hmmm. No, everybody involved is definitely inside. If you mean inside the "dedicated chamber for it [the council of clan elders] in the center of town," neither party is inside that. Should the good guys go straight there and set up on the defensive, rather than hunting for the vamps? Advantages and disadvantages. You can set up fixed defenses, but you give up mobility and the possibility of choosing the moment for battle.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm sorry? Are you under the impression those junior priests are the council?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    It was obvious to me from the first we saw them (last panel) that they were underground. Don't know why anyone got any other impression.

But apparently some people did.
    It's clear to me that they're underground. What I'm less clear on is how the topography of Firmament is. I got the impression the temple is the way into Firmament and the vampires were therefore outside of the town and currently unable to reach the council (which would explain why they put so much effort into getting into the Temple of Thor in the first place, which seems a little less relevant now). Going back to previous comics, apparently I was wrong.
    Last edited by Zindaras; 2017-09-25 at 04:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

Quick! Grab some higher level gear for the new cleric! Give her somewhat more of a chance to survive!
    Last edited by Stiletto; 2017-09-25 at 04:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Colossus in the Playground

Greg wants some vampires to fight the Order somewhere far away from the council while the council is being dominated by some other vampires. The Temple of Thor was his first choice for a battlefield to fight the Order, as it would have been particularly vicious to Durkon to kill Roy there, after killing all the priests there. That's why he wanted to get into the temple.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

Alas, Minrah did not gain enough XP from killing that dramatic moment to be able to Turn a high-level vampire cleric.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

this is looking like the order is actually being competent. which means we should expect something to go wrong very soon for the proper tension.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post

You mean like Ceclia's presence in Don't Split The Party? :p

Hmmm. No, everybody involved is definitely inside. If you mean inside the "dedicated chamber for it [the council of clan elders] in the center of town," neither party is inside that. Should the good guys go straight there and set up on the defensive, rather than hunting for the vamps? Advantages and disadvantages. You can set up fixed defenses, but you give up mobility and the possibility of choosing the moment for battle.
    Also, leaves the possibility that the vamps will simply find and dominate the elders before they get to the chamber.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

It's clear to me that they're underground. What I'm less clear on is how the topography of Firmament is. I got the impression the temple is the way into Firmament and the vampires were therefore outside of the town and currently unable to reach the council (which would explain why they put so much effort into getting into the Temple of Thor in the first place, which seems a little less relevant now). Going back to previous comics, apparently I was wrong.
    Firmament is an underground city inside the mountain. The temple is also underground but on the edge of the mountain for the purpose of skygazing, the tunnel the heroes are currently inside connects the temple to the city (either it is isolated if the city is deeper inside the mountain or it acts as an underground street).

The Vampires teleported inside the city and attacked the temple coming from there and were blocked by the main entrance while the Order came through the backdoor (High Priestess Rubyrock especially called it that) that leads to the mountain.

As for why they attacked/ wanted to get inside, it was not stated but lo and behold I have theories :

EDIT : Bad Fyraltari, should check comics instead of trusting memory, bad ! Durkon* said why he wanted to get inside.

1) They are under the impression that the meeting is to be held there (Durkon would not know but Hel probably would if she bothered to check).

2) The Thorsaken just wanted to kill some priests of Thor before they turn into an endangered species.
    Also profanate their temple and probably laugh in Durkon's face while he was at it.

3) The death of the Thor's clergy is necessary for whatever scheme he has in mind.

4) He just wanted to make sure that the Order/any opposition he will face would not be supported by guys that can throw Cure Serious Wounds around like there's no tomorrow (well... you get my point) as a precaution.

The fact that it did not take much convincing for him to go elsewhere means that his wanting to go inside was probably just to finish the acolytes off.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2017-09-25 at 05:21 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Meh, pretty underwhelming comic, even aside from it being #1100.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Wow she really does not like litterbugs"

And the Belkster continues to bring the goods!
    That part was indeed great.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Greg wants some vampires to fight the Order somewhere far away from the council while the council is being dominated by some other vampires. The Temple of Thor was his first choice for a battlefield to fight the Order, as it would have been particularly vicious to Durkon to kill Roy there, after killing all the priests there. That's why he wanted to get into the temple.
    I agree with most of that, except the part about Greg's team splitting up. That seems foolish going into a fight with a party of high-ish level adventurers, so I checked, and it doesn't match what he said to Hel. He said that they will have plenty of time to kill the good guys before the council convenes.
    Last edited by alwaysbebatman; 2017-09-25 at 05:02 PM.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

When Roy gets the key from the HPoT, she says the temple has its own private door to the outside so the priests can check the weather. (Thor is a weather god, remember.) That's the door the Order went to but it's not the main door to the city.

ETA: It also seems to be the door they ejected Durkon from almost 20 years ago.
    Last edited by dtilque; 2017-09-25 at 05:08 PM.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    You mean like Ceclia's presence in Don't Split The Party? :p
    Actually, I would've loved to play Celia in DnD. Particularly if I was otherwise playing this greatsword-wielding dumb (yet strangely intelligent...) fighter guy. What a nice break from the routine! An opportunity to engage in pure role-play, not just swordplay and roll-play.

Besides, wings. Need I say more?
    Thanks to Gorbash Kazdar for the avatar: Edhelras Taladin, CG Male Moon Elf Ranger

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    As for why they attacked/ wanted to get inside, it was not stated but lo and behold I have theories :
    No, Durkula came right out and said what they had wanted into Thor's temple for: "As much fun as it would've been to meet Roy in battle on the floor of Thor's temple..." So kinda like theory 2 but more hatred of Roy thrown in.

The traits of Thor's temple needed for Durkula's plan are evidently just those they have in common with a banquet hall: lots of open space, mainly.
    Last edited by alwaysbebatman; 2017-09-25 at 05:13 PM.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Was hoping for a little more with comic #1100, but I'm sure Rich will make up for it in a few comics. ;)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Belkar agrees to tracking, and behaving like a ranger? We're all doomed! )
    It's a sign of the end times. Which we did, after all, already know were here.
    I prepared Comic Sans today.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

No, Durkula came right out and said what they had wanted into Thor's temple for: "As much fun as it would've been to meet Roy in battle on the floor of Thor's temple..." So kinda like theory 2 but more hatred of Roy thrown in.

The traits of Thor's temple needed for Durkula's plan are evidently just those they have in common with a banquet hall: lots of open space, mainly.
    Argh, I hate being wrong.

Thank you for the correction.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As usual Belkar and Elan get all the good lines.
    Especially Belkar.

And Minrah makes a fine addition to the Order.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")