New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: (IC) Festival of Heroes - Tears of Amber - Main

Aurix begins running towards and up the stairs after Markas as he calls out the answer, "Find the ebony door with silver frame on the top floor! Say "Knowledge is power" to it and it'll open into a foyer! After the door closes behind you, say "Knowledge is sacred" to the ivory door in the next room. If you don't wait or get it wrong, it'll teleport you into the cells! Or you can just wait, we're right behind you!" Aurix begins climbing the stairs.
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Spoiler: If you speak Draconic
    Show
    Aurix Kornari means "Gold Heart"

DM of Twinborn

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Markas let out a frustrated sigh debating on whether or not to wait for his friends. If Geiravor was right time probably wasn't on their side, but also the princess needed them all to go... "Fine I'll wait!" he decided. However if they arrive too late to help Hervir because he waited, Markas knew he'd never forgive himself.
    Festival of Heroes

Markas Fletcher (Male Human Monk):
    bald, approaching middle age, but very fit.

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Aurix heads up the stairs, then waits for everyone else to arrive at the top floor.

When all the heroes have gathered, he leads them to where the ebony door is hidden. "It's here," he says. "Knowledge is power." The ebony door opens into a foyer with an ivory door inside. Aurix gestures everyone inside. Once in, the ebony door closes behind them. He approaches the ivory door. "Knowledge is sacred," Aurix announces, and the ivory door opens, admitting them into the Magic Repository.
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear pauses as people are deciding what to do he gathers energy for a moment to gather energy as he exchanges his ability of eye of the void greater for celerity as he becomes hasted for the next 20 rounds. He then uses that extra speed to double move every other round, using the other rounds to buff his shorter lasting abilities.

Spoiler: Buffs:
    Show

Haste 20 Rounds from Floor 1
    Telekinetic Deflection (Swapped for Eye of the void) from floor 3
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

The group of heroes poured into the magic repository, with Markas taking the lead, filling the space between the two rows of benches, in the middle of the room. Hervir stood on the far side of the room, behind the lipped work table, which had been cleared of its usual odds and ends and instead bore the cockatrice egg and an assortment of other rare, expensive magical reagents.

Spoiler: For those who can see invisible, make a DC 20+distance perception check
    Show
    Hervir seems to be surrounded by an invisible wall, enclosing her completely and going floor-to-ceiling.
    Last edited by Wolfykins; 2017-09-29 at 03:14 PM.
    Spoiler: Aurora
    Show

Spoiler: Inaemehkiwak (Ina)
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

redface Re: (IC) Festival of Heroes - Tears of Amber - Main

Hervir slowly looked up from her work. The cockatrice egg on a small silver stand on the lipped table in front of her. Around the egg was a pinch of iron powder, a palm-sized dimond, and a silver spoon all in the middle of a chalk-lined magic circle. She quietly sighed.

"So you're all here, except Zeetzeet." she said in a raspy voice.

Her blue eyes were bloodshot and puffy as if she had been crying. On a table to the side of the room was an open scroll, a candle, and a cup of tea. Tricey was locked up in a small birdcage on the table with her personal effects.

"Sorry about leaving to deal with the crowd, I needed to get a spell ready. I didn't mean to worry you all." Hervir apologized.

Geiravor tried to steady her breathing as she stared at the egg.
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War
    Prince Alloishus Figleaf of Lilygrove, Elven Spell Dancer

Bartleby Herrmannsdorfer, Dwarven Forgemaster

The Lily Blooms
    Nesse Nola, Paladin of Sarenrae

Festival of Heroes
    Co-DM and Princess Geiravor of Juvelnord, Aasimar Warpriestess

7. - Top - End - #67

RedWizardGuy

Markas's eyes widened at seeing Hervir looking so distraught. He looked to Geiravor who seemed on the verge of panic as she stared at the egg Marks helped the Court Mage retrieve.
    He also saw Tricey and Hervir's items put aside. Now he was really worried.
    "Hervir... what exactly are you doing?" he asked, the worry escaping in his voice, "whatever it is, please stop! If this ritual takes your life it's not worth it! Not as a first resort! We're all here because we're ready to help! Yes Juvelnord's under siege, but whatever it is wasn't expecting the greatest heroes in the world already gathered together to resist them! We can beat this, but we need your help and not like this! We need the Court Mage's expertise to figure this out....Not just that, but...Princess Geiravor needs you, Tricey needs you, and I need you! Not as the Court Mage, but just as your sweet self. Don't leave us when you are needed the most. Please," Markas begged, his own eyes starting to water...
    Last edited by paladin_artea; 2017-09-29 at 05:23 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Aurora said nothing at first, watching the scene unfold with a worried expression. She'd never seen Hervir like that before. She stamped one back hoof nervously and fidgeted with a lock of hair.

Aistriú patted Markas' head again.
    "You seem to know something about what's going on with the other tower," she said, looking up at Hervir. It was worded as a statement, but there was an implied question in her words.
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jaylyn walked past Umbear to stand between Geiravor and Aurix. "Hervir, please at least tell us about this spell. Some of us risked our lives to help you get that egg. I wanted to ask you before about it, but I didn't want it said out in the open for unknown ears to hear." Jaylyn said with urgency in her voice, Jaylyn gripping her staff so hard her knuckles turned white, "You owe us that much at least."

Then something Markas said clicked in Jaylyn's head. "Wait a second, maybe that's EXACTLY what whomever is doing this wanted. To gather the strongest people from around this area. Think about it, if whomever wanted to do this when the city was at it's weakest, they would have send out enough forces to cause a distraction to call us away. Instead they wait until the exact moment we'd all be in town to put this plan in motion. The events line up just a little too perfectly to be chance. However if anybody can dispute that, please do." Jaylyn said with even more worry in her voice then normal.
    Festival of Heroes: Jaylyn a 5 foot Kitsune with golden brown fur, black ears, and golden eyes. She's an average build leaning on the smaller size. When in human form her hair is golden blonde, but retains her golden eyes. her build is still average but a bit bigger then in Kitsune form.

No matter which from she is in, she always seen in her white halter-top dress, carrying a 5 foot staff with a sapphire on top, and a jeweled necklace around her neck.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Aurix intently studies the ingredients on the table, but says nothing.

Spoiler: Jaylyn
    Show
    Jaylyn hears Aurix's voice in her mind. "Do you see it? She's put up a Wall of Force around herself. Unless you have Mage's Disjunction, we're going to have to beat it down, and that'll take time. And could potentially be dangerous, in this room."

As Jaylyn begins talking about the egg, Aurix turns his head in her direction.

Spoiler: Jaylyn
    Show
    "That egg...it just looks like a cockatrice egg. But it seems to have a prominent place in this spell...and she needed you to get it? Please, tell me about it."
    Show

DM of Twinborn

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear stood there watching. considering a Trickster from his young he descideds to look around the room where everone else seemed to be ignoring.

(1d20+26)[42] perception

As umbear looks around his eyebrows raise, but then as he looks up, his brow furrows.

Concern... Worry
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2017-09-29 at 06:39 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Droktoktor handed the box he received on his way back through the gate to Gorrun, this is for you from the safely returned ambassador and his family. The catfolk then rushed toward where the others were located. Sorry I'm late everyone, he said apologetically.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Gorrun absentmindedly accepted the box and slipped it into his bag. Thank you. he remains focused on Hervir.
    I know you're scared, but you don't have to do this alone. Why have you walled yourself in? We're you afraid for yourself from what's out there? We're you afraid that what you're doing would get out of there? We're you afraid we would try to stop you? I only ask to better understand. You know you have allies. Let us in and we will help you. (1d20+34)[49] diplomacy
    To all things there is an end. With every end, a new beginning.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Geiravor took a step forward, holding out her hand. "Hervir, what are you about to do?" she asked.

"Studying the history of our people, I suspected this might happen. The Abyss spilling out into the East Tower confirmed my suspicions. Legions of the Abyss are on their way here and will spread across the world like a plague unless I contain them. I will contain all of Juvelnord in a barrier that even a demon simply can't bypass. However, this spell drains my vitality and converts it into the strength of the barrier. It's dangerous but I believe I can control it. In the past, I could always control when the magic stopped, except once when I was alone. Geiravor found me before the magic overtook me. So I'm so happy that you're all here! Because, with you all here, I believe I can control the magic. Keep it from going too far."
    "To answer your question, General, I had no way of knowing when the Legions of the Abyss would arrive and I couldn't take the chance of them breaching the tower and interrupting me before I finished. If you will all promise not to interfere, I will drop the walls, but you MUST promise."
    She looked specifically at Aurix and Gorrun. "Because I fear if you won't keep that promise, something bad will happen to Geiravor, because of an old prophecy." She punctuated her pause by lifting the silver spoon.
    Last edited by EdgeGrinder; 2017-09-29 at 08:20 PM.
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War

The Lily Blooms

Festival of Heroes

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear steps past everyone and moves north of the barrier hiding Hervir. He knocked gentle on the barrier and smiled.

"Do you think this would stop us if we wanted in there?"

He sat down on the ground, looking to the princess.

"Your kingdom. Your word. I'll follow suit"
    Festival of Heroes:

16. - Top - End - #76

RedWizardGuy

Markas listened intently to Hervir's explanation and tried to understand,
    but a few things confused him, "Hervir, this barrier you're trying to erect, is it to prevent the demons from entering the city in the first place, or is it to ensure that even if they reach the city they never go beyond? How long will you need to be here to keep this barrier up? Also...is it possible to use the vitality of more than one person to power this barrier and lessen the overall risk to those involved? If so, I'm willing to be at your side for this."
    Festival of Heroes

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

One life to save countless others. It is the ultimate sacrifice. I would likely do the same were I in your position, so you have my word. However, is there no other way? Is the coming force truly insurmountable? I would march my army right through the gates of Helheim and meet them on their own soil if that is what is needed I've even brushed up on the language here recently thanks to Aurora's new friend here. Or, perhaps, another conduit. Something else to power the shield, the mana crystals. If they can be attuned to water, or to the abyss, perhaps they could be attuned to life itself?
    To all things there is an end. With every end, a new beginning.

18. - Top - End - #78

Jaylyn looked over at Aurix and focused...
    Spoiler: Aurix
    Show
    "Yes I have Mage's Disjunction and can cast it 3 more times before being depleted. Yes that is a Cockatrice egg, Markas, Zeet, Drok, Hervir, and myself went and got it for a spell...that spell."

Jaylyn then shifted her gaze from Aurix to Hervir. "Umbears right, as is Markas and Gorrun. If vitality is needed to power the spell, why not simply ask us. I can not, and will not, speak for the other but I'll gladly give up some of my Vitality to help power this spell. I have to think bout Varrock as well and if the barrier fails she's in danger too." Jaylyn said relaxing the grip on her staff before turning to Geiravor, "As Umbear said, I'll follow your orders to the best of my power."
    Festival of Heroes: Jaylyn a 5 foot Kitsune with golden brown fur, black ears, and golden eyes. She's an average build leaning on the smaller size. When in human form her hair is golden blonde, but retains her golden eyes. her build is still average but a bit bigger then in Kitsune form.

No matter which from she is in, she always seen in her white halter-top dress, carrying a 5 foot staff with a sapphire on top, and a jeweled necklace around her neck.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

"I understand where you're coming from, Hervir, even if I don't like it," Aurora said with a sigh. She looked over at Gorrun with sad eyes.
    "I don't think there's time to research anything new at this point. I doubt Hervir would make this decision lightly."

"Wow," Aistriú said somberly, feeling humbled, "that's a big risk. So if I understand what you're saying... you're going to contain the whole nation so the demons are restricted to Juvelnord's borders? That puts the people of Juvelnord at risk, but... I think I get it. If you confined just the tower, nobody would be able to get to the fiends to beat them back, so when they inevitably broke through, nothing would've been accomplished after all... or they might have another way out of the tower than the door, so it would be a waste. If you contained just the city or part of the city, it would concentrate the hordes into such a small area that they would overrun the small area and destroy everyone and everything within. By encapsulating the entire nation, it gives them space to spread out, and thus spread thin, making them easier to combat, so they're less likely to do as much damage to any given area... especially if their goal is to reach your barrier to try and break through it to the rest of the world, then they'll be focusing on fanning out as quickly as possible, which will likely put them in less-populated areas."
    The tiny fey pinched the bridge of her nose and let out her breath in a whoosh as she ran her hand over her forehead and through her long bangs.
    "It's risky all-around, but I get it... You risk yourself to give the Hero's Tourney heroes a chance at actually being able to keep the threat at bay. And you risk all of Juvelnord for the sake of the rest of the world."

Aurora sucked in a breath. "That's a big responsibility, but I daresay it will be easier to try and protect just one nation than the entire world, though I'm sure there are those in Juvelnord who will certainly not appreciate that."
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Aurix's expression turns grim as he hears the news, then mentally comes to terms with what he's heard. It was not far from what he had expected. Torilee senses Aurix's emotions hardening as he shifts into a more pragmatic, adventurer frame of mind.

"I'm...not hearing that Hervir has to die to cast this spell. It sounds like you're saying you need our help to turn it off once it's done, or then you'll die. And absolutely, I support this. It's for the good of the world, if what your research says is true. And I believe it. It's exactly the kind of thing we've been warned about. Not to mention, you love this country, and the people in it. It's entirely within your rights to risk your life for it. How could we say no?"

Aurix turns to look at the assembled heroes. His voice is firm, and filled with conviction. His eyes are resolute. "But this doesn't solve the problem- it contains it. And it contains it here, which makes it ours to deal with. It means Juvelnord flooded with possibly ENDLESS armies of demons. There will be no citizens fleeing once this spell is cast." Aurix focuses on Jaylyn. "There will be no returning to Varrock, or any other place, once this spell is cast. All of us will be trapped in here with them, and we won't be coming out until they break past us, or we beat them back."

"I'm not saying this to dissuade you. FAR FROM IT. What I'm telling you is that when we cast this spell, we declare war on the Abyss. Know it. Be prepared for it. Know what the decision you're making means." Finally, he focuses on Geiravor. "It means that every man, woman, and child in this city lives in a battlefield...and that we lead that battle, until we find a way to seal the Abyss back up. We can do this. We have to do this." His gaze softens slightly. "I know it's not what you would want for your people...but we're gonna fight for them too. You tell them what's at stake. Don't shy away from it. We'll be there with you."

Aurix turns to Hervir. "I'm in. How do we help you?"
    Show

DM of Twinborn

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

The catfolk heard everything that was being said and made his decision.

The demons of the Abyss must not be allowed to have their way. I will put everything I have into this fight.

The catfolk then readies himself for whatever is needed of him.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Hervir laughed. "I suppose these walls can't stop you after all."
    She walked to Markas. "Once the spell has completed its effects, it will remain as long as it retains durability. To answer the question you all seem to have, no it can't use the vitality of others. It must come from the caster. What I need from all of you is to keep me from losing myself to the magic. Talk to me, hold me, believe in me, love me. Whatever you have to."
    "Aistriú knows my thoughts exactly. As does Aurix, and he put it so eloquently. The nation of Juvelnord will be the battlefield. Remember though, the people are born of warriors. We, Juvelnord, are tough enough to survive the coldest of winters. It's been a while, but they will remember war."
    Hervir looked to her dear cousin. "So cousin, will you let me help you? she asked with a smile.

Geiravor threw her arms around her cousin and sobbed. After a moment, she pulled away and stared into her green ears and pushed back her blonde curls behind her ears. "This is so... unfair. I basically have to choose the people over you. An impossible choice. Almost an impossible choice. You would have me choose the people. I would choose the people. Hervir, please do not leave us." Tears rolled down the Princess's face. " Hervir... cast the spell."

Hervir nodded. She returned to Markas. "A kiss for good luck?" she asked. She leaned in and pressed her lips against his, wrapping her arms around him. She dared not linger a second more as she pulled away and took her post at the lipped table. Holding out the spoon, she took a deep breath and sang.

Spoiler: Celestial
    Show

Oh the hero comes
    I can hear the drums
    And the horses drawn
    To the kingdom come
    Through the pale moonlight
    Our hearts ignite to the call

Claim your prize
    For a crown of stars
    In the name of love
    Be the sacrifice
    You and I will stand and fight
    Our backs to the wall

And that vocal component, she swung the silver spoon sideways to the egg causing an audible crackle.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

As the shell of the precious egg split, its contents began to ooze out. Bright, sparkling; a glittery, oozing light shimmering between holy white and mana blue. The light flowed up the spoon and over Hervir's hand and encompassed her whole body and then faded as if sinking into her. Then sparkling blue and white motes began to spark off of Hervir, flowing through the air, some spreading outward, past people, through people. Some motes just drifted straight upward, and soon the outward-drifting ones moved to join them, flowing together, forming a stream. They seemed to be following some unseen path.
    The more motes flowed from Hervir, the weaker she became, her life and vitality draining from her.
    The stream of light went through the ceiling, following the connection to the mana crystal that kept the repository displaced.
    Outside the tower, the giant crystal on the roof grew brighter and brighter, a stream of light shooting from the point at the top and spreading up and arcing outward, a dome of aquamarine blue and silvery white light, swirling like the colors in a bubble. The dome spread further and further, stretching ever closer to the nation's borders.

The mana crystal began to hum. The repository quivered as energy reverberated through it and around it. Everyone could feel it in their teeth, hair standing on end. The humming grew louder and more persistent until there was an audible pop, almost like when one's ears pop at high altitude. The room seemed to shift violently to the side! Tables, chairs, benches and bookcases toppled. Hervir stumbled into Markas and Geiravor's arms.
    The motes flowing from Hervir were becoming larger and larger, and she grew paler and weaker as they flowed even more rapidly along the path now binding just her, and not the room, to the mana crystal!
    Something seemed wrong about that.
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Hervir's breathing was weak and shallow. "Cast through... the crystal to... amplify the spell... to give it the... range... it needed. Never... attempted it before... taking too much energy... too fast." she struggled to get out.
    Last edited by EdgeGrinder; 2017-09-29 at 10:16 PM.
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War

The Lily Blooms

Festival of Heroes

25. - Top - End - #85

RedWizardGuy

Markas swallowed an imaginary lump in his throat as Hervir explained what it was she needed to do, and what she needed from him and the others. The tears he was holding back were finally seeing release at Geiravor embracing her precious cousin. When Hervir briefly held and kissed him, he closed his eyes and squeezed her briefly, "I love you," he whispered as she pulled away.

He wiped his eyes and looked on in amazement at the effects of Hervir's spell. It was so beautiful to gaze upon, it was hypnotic until the mana crystal began to hum, then it was just uncomfortable. When the humming crescendoed to a loud pop, the whole world seemed to move. Both he and Princess Geiravor reacted quickly, catching Hervir in their arms.

"Hervir! We're here!" he called to her, stroking her blonde hair and kissing the top of her head, her continuingly paler skin causing more and more worry for the monk, "Geiravor and I both are holding you, the others are still close. We're not leaving you. Don't you dare leave us! Tell us what we need to do!" He turned to the princess, his normally calm demeanor broken into desperation, his cheeks wet with tears, "What can we do? Whatever it takes I'm prepared!"
    Festival of Heroes

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Aurix stares at the motes of light as they do their work. He grows concerned as the room hums, until it pops! Aurix speaks loudly, "She's used the spell to change how mana crystals work! It's pulling energy now! It just broke the connection with the repository! We're in normal time now instead of astral time!"

As Hervir grows more and more frail, Aurix reports again, "The spell is draining away her body's constitution! If we want her to survive through it, she'll need Restoration spells! That'll keep her going, and just might give her a chance to live! Aurora, Geiravor, Jaylyn- anybody! Cast Restoration or Greater Restoration!" Aurix pulls out a bag of diamond dust and begins chanting.

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    "I wish for the world to change to my whim, I wish for the world to change to my whim...

Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 22
    Show
    Limited Wish

3 rounds later, Aurix casts Restoration on Hervir.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Aurora spread her hands, blinking back tears. "I-I'm sorry, I only have 'Lesser Restoraton', not the regular version, and the 'greater' version is beyond my capacity at this time," she said with great regret. She picked up overturned benches and set them to rights so there was some space to move around again.
    "Did anybody get hurt when we shifted back to the material plane?" she asked, trying to focus on something she could actually do something about.
    Last edited by Wolfykins; 2017-09-29 at 11:42 PM.
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #88

Jaylyn watched as Hervir hugged Geiravor and kissed Markas before performing the spell. Tears flowing down her eyes made the scene blurry for the Kitsune. She used her left arm and wrist to wipe away the tears before saluting Hervir.

Once the spell started, something appeared wrong and Hervir gasped her last message. Jaylyn nodded reaching into her bag, "Wish Diamond" she called out not caring who heard her now. Once she felt the diamond hit her hand she pulled it out and closed her eyes. "I have one better Aurix," Jaylyn said focusing on her most powerful spell, "I wish for a fully charged 'Wand of Restoration'."

Spoiler: spellcraft DC 24
    Show
    Wish
    Last edited by Erealyn; 2017-09-29 at 11:50 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

An elegant ivory wand with a mithral grip suddenly appeared in Jaylyn's hand.
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear Gathers energy for a moment as he switches his ability to make ramparts for kinetic Restoration, reaching over her places a hand on Hervier.
    Replenish (1d4)[3] of a stat drained. eliminates any fatigue that you suffer, and improves an exhaustion condition to fatigued.

"I can do that until I pass out....which... might be never, I may not be able to take your place, but my strength shall hold you up as long as you need"

Concern

He looks to Jaylyn.

"If that is what I think it is... use it sparingly... We dont know how long we have to keep her alive... that spell should fully reviltilize her... I can keep her for a bit... so in bursts when she is getting close, hit her again... would not not be the most effective method Aurix?"
    Festival of Heroes: