Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

Ok, here's a good question...I think.

Why do people suck at spelling properly when using text-based communication, when they aren't in a rush?

Seriously, it's not like its hard to take a moment to check and make sure that you spelled something right.
    To those who wish a nerd to enter the fray, they need only bring up an interesting story or possible plot lines. I'll even help those who want a bit of feedback on something if they ask for it.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lorekeeper View Post
    Ok, here's a good question...I think.

Why do people suck at spelling properly when using text-based communication, when they aren't in a rush?

Seriously, it's not like its hard to take a moment to check and make sure that you spelled something right.
    In my case, most of the time it's because doing a re read, I read what I expect to see. Coming back 5 minutes later, I see what I actually wrote.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

In addition it is not always "easy". You may find it such but if it were not for the damn little wiggly red lines all my text based communication would be a mass of misspellings (more than they end up being)...and I wouldn't know. I was heavily trained in how to spell but English makes little to no sense to me in this and just route memorization doesn't work for me (when i need to recall it for a test I can, when I need to recall it to use the word it may as well not exist). I may have a massive vocabulary that I use extensively but my brain does not naturally process that mass of data as letter groupings.

Some people can't remember names, some can not kick a ball into a net, some people can not remember history, some can not "math" (how has this become a verb?), some people have to be guided through the most basic of logic arguments, some people can not drive in a safe manner, some can not spell. Just because one is good at these things does not mean there are actually easy for everyone. The same amount of effort from different people will produce massively different results.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

I was recently introduced to the phrase "virtue-signalling." Apparently, it's supposed to be an insult. i don't get how it is suppose to sound negative, at all.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"Look-at-me! I'm am doing GOOD! Thus I am GOOD! And you should praise me!/I am better than you!" is how people who see virtue signalling as an insult see the behavior that draws the comment.
    Actual result of behavior is irrelevant.

Declaring not only do they think they have a better set of values than the people they are signalling to, but that they should be praises, given social status, or as a weapon against those with "lesser" moralities. So, not doing good for doing good but to appear to do/be good for social benefits.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I was recently introduced to the phrase "virtue-signalling." Apparently, it's supposed to be an insult. i don't get how it is suppose to sound negative, at all.
    It is sometimes described as "doing the right thing for the wrong reasons". Its not even a recent thing (the name for it is, mind you, but not the action itself). For example, in the Bible, there is a moment when a rich man ostentatiously donates money to a temple. Without going into the religion of it, that is virtue signaling: "look at me as I donate a large sum to the temple, look how much better I am than those that give less". I am sure there are even more ancient examples, but I think a couple millenia is plenty far back*.

Of course, on the Internet, when used as an accusation or insult, it usually is done by assuming that the reasons were the wrong ones - that "no-one could possibly truly want to better the lives of 'those' people, so the fact that you are campaigning for it must mean you only care about how it will make you look good, but you are as xenophobic as I am, you just don't want to admit it". As is frequently the case (as with the "SJW as insult"), it says more about the person using the term than the person the term is ascribed to.

Grey Wolf

*ETA: a more modern example is Sean Connery, who has given a lot of money to various causes, but stopped doing it publicly, because he found that only brought forth accusations of him "doing it for the publicity" and therefore distracted from the cause he wanted to help.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-12-06 at 10:28 AM.
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum,
    there wouldn't have been such speculation.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    Scientia est similis fluminis te capere non possunt in perpetuum
    (Knowledge, like a river, cannot be constrained forever)

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Because it's a form of vainglory. In the literal sense, communicating your virtues IS technically falling into vanity, whatever the purpose. As a rule of thumb, people aren't expected to be "honest"* about their virtuosity, but rather speech in a more humble form. It escapes me the reason why people would be offended by others having some virtue (whatever it is) but it's widely considered rude. And also, most people would regard you as an hypocrite anyway.

Other than that, I think the thing is "insults" are never meant to be taken literally and out of context. There is nothing wrong with the words "gay", "cis" or "SJW" per se... It's just that even if some people can use it in a friendly manner, others will prefer to wield them as slurs. Whether your gender/sexuality/behaviour is in fact, questioned or not; that's secondary to the point of the insult. An insult is meant to hurt, not judge. Judgement is what usually leads to insult, but not every insult is permeated with a proper judgement of the person. It's like throwing an F- bomb. People sometimes just feel like it, despite the literal meaning of the word**.

*Whether that "honesty" is sincere or not, objective or not; that's beside the point.
    **Of course, a lot of people JUDGE and therefore use an insult. What I mean is that whichever the case, eventually the expression used for an "insult" develops its own connotation, that may or may not be used by a judgemental person. Now, whether a word/expression should qualify as an insult, that's a different question
    Last edited by joeltion; 2017-12-06 at 10:51 AM.
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

8. - Top - End - #308
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The implication is that the alleged virtue is in fact a false front. You aren't doing it because you are good, you are doing it because it makes people think you are good. The accusation is that you don't actually care about the cause at all, its just being used as a shield from criticism.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #309
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    In my case, most of the time it's because doing a re read, I read what I expect to see. Coming back 5 minutes later, I see what I actually wrote.
    This happens to me as well, particularly when typing from my phone (which is usually when I'm posting to Facebook). My phone doesn't autocorrect; it will offer suggestions (some of which are helpful and many of which are not), but if I just keep typing away, it won't auto-substitute anything. So I look back over what I wrote, see what I expect to see, and only when checking replies later will I see any typos I may have made.

It's not precisely the same thing, but if you're familiar with the expression "holier-than-thou," that should give you an idea of the spirit in which "virtue-signalling" is meant as insulting. It's basically an accusation that someone is trying to show how morally superior they are than someone else, and often carries an implication of falsehood as well.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The implication is that the alleged virtue is in fact a false front. You aren't doing it because you are good, you are doing it because it makes people think you are good. The accusation is that you don't actually care about the cause at all, its just being used as a shield from criticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    Because it's a form of vainglory. In the literal sense, communicating your virtues IS technically falling into vanity, whatever the purpose. As a rule of thumb, people aren't expected to be "honest"* about their virtuosity, but rather speech in a more humble form. It escapes me the reason why people would be offended by others having some virtue (whatever it is) but it's widely considered rude. And also, most people would regard you as an hypocrite anyway.

Other than that, I think the thing is "insults" are never meant to be taken literally and out of context. There is nothing wrong with the words "gay", "cis" or "SJW" per se... It's just that even if some people can use it in a friendly manner, others will prefer to wield them as slurs. Whether your gender/sexuality/behaviour is in fact, questioned or not; that's secondary to the point of the insult. An insult is meant to hurt, not judge. Judgement is what usually leads to insult, but not every insult is permeated with a proper judgement of the person. It's like throwing an F- bomb. People sometimes just feel like it, despite the literal meaning of the word**.

*Whether that "honesty" is sincere or not, objective or not; that's beside the point.
    **Of course, a lot of people JUDGE and therefore use an insult. What I mean is that whichever the case, eventually the expression used for an "insult" develops its own connotation, that may or may not be used by a judgemental person. Now, whether a word/expression should qualify as an insult, that's a different question
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It is sometimes described as "doing the right thing for the wrong reasons". <snip>
    Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    "Look-at-me! I'm am doing GOOD! Thus I am GOOD! And you should praise me!/I am better than you!" is how people who see virtue signalling as an insult see the behavior that draws the comment.
    Actual result of behavior is irrelevant.<snip>
    Thanks, y'all. I think when I first heard the phrase, I only really processed the "virtue" part, and didn't really register the "signalling" part. Now that you explain it it makes sense how someone could think of it as an insult.