Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Next you'll be ranting about how the price of gas has gone through the roof,

Factually speaking, the price of gas HAS gone through the roof. I'm in my 30's, and the money a full tank of gas costs would've bought two tanks plus lunch when I was at university. It should also be noted that the price of crude oil is significantly lower at the moment than the last time gas prices spiked anywhere near what they are currently. How is that NOT absurd?

2. - Top - End - #782
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not so much when you understand that fuel stations buy their fuel using old locked prices from six-months plus ago, not the one you see today. Plus, they attempt to maintain 'price stability' by occasionally eating the loss [which is repaid, and more by not passing on the savings of downswings].
    Shameless plug for my pbp forum: http://eabn.forumotion.co.uk/
    Got a pbp VtM game forum? PM me, please.

'This is my truth, tell me yours.' - Nye Bevan

3. - Top - End - #783
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    It also may be a factor of the US, where there can be a ridiculous (in my opinion) variance in quality of your degree. My view comes from an Engineering degree background, so there could be faculty specific issues.

In Canada for Engineering, our universities are close enough in terms of quality of education that which one you go to is more of an economics choice than anything else. Where American Engineering graduates write two sets of exams to get their professional designation after their undetgraduate courses, Canadian Engineers just need your 4 years of experience within Canada to qualify.

I believe the top Engineering university programs in North America are in the US. But the Canadian average for writing those tests to allow them to practise south of the border was around 85% compared to 60% for those from American institutions.
    I don't know. I know that engineers can typically find jobs easier regardless of their school of origin. But for lawyers (to my knowledge) that isn't the case. Like employers really care about which school you went to, and it's very cultish, whereas other majors aren't exactly the same in that regard (although there may be some that are).
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

Sorry for any typos just forearm my wrist and am using voice to text on my phone.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xyril View Post
    I honestly wasn't sure whether you see it that way. To me, making fun of a guy for not sharing your hobbies is a comparatively inoffensive (in the sense that it's making fun of something that very few people would tie to their self-worth) way to bust a friend's chops, but the way you talked about it made it sound like you regarded it as a very hostile way in which they were holding themselves above you. You seemed to take very deep, sincere offense that they were giving you crap about not watching sports, which implied to me that the whole guys ragging on each other thing was outside the scope of your worldview.
    A high level overview doesn't tell you much - it's not particularly hard to embed actual venom in what would otherwise be friendly ribbing, and I say that as someone who has several friendships involving plenty of ragging on each other in ways that would come across as incredibly hostile if done to a stranger. For instance, I have one friend who is studying to become a cop, and the cop jokes alone would come across as incredibly hostile if meant that way and communicated as such. For instance, in response to getting some crap about having to actually hit the books for school I once said "See, the difference between us is that I'm studying to become a useful member of society, and you're studying to become a jackbooted thug". In the context of that friendship, and the context of people ribbing each other at work, he found it hilarious. Saying that to some random criminal justice major? It takes more charisma than I have to make that come across as anything but actively mean.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

5. - Top - End - #785
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    A high level overview doesn't tell you much - it's not particularly hard to embed actual venom in what would otherwise be friendly ribbing, and I say that as someone who has several friendships involving plenty of ragging on each other in ways that would come across as incredibly hostile if done to a stranger. For instance, I have one friend who is studying to become a cop, and the cop jokes alone would come across as incredibly hostile if meant that way and communicated as such. For instance, in response to getting some crap about having to actually hit the books for school I once said "See, the difference between us is that I'm studying to become a useful member of society, and you're studying to become a jackbooted thug". In the context of that friendship, and the context of people ribbing each other at work, he found it hilarious. Saying that to some random criminal justice major? It takes more charisma than I have to make that come across as anything but actively mean.
    Not charisma so much as jackboots. Oh. And if you can mug the guy who telling the joke. That's all you really need to land the punchline with anyone. Plus, free wallet!
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking).

Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Actually im saying all of them are trans, even if theyve made babies or not. Its fantasy, baby!

6. - Top - End - #786
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blobby View Post
    Not so much when you understand that fuel stations buy their fuel using old locked prices from six-months plus ago, not the one you see today. Plus, they attempt to maintain 'price stability' by occasionally eating the loss [which is repaid, and more by not passing on the savings of downswings].
    Every fuel station I ever seen immediately raises pries in accordance with upward movement of crude oil. And always say they bought their fuel at much higher prices 6 months ago when price of crude goes down.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random Sanity View Post
    Factually speaking, the price of gas HAS gone through the roof. I'm in my 30's, and the money a full tank of gas costs would've bought two tanks plus lunch when I was at university. It should also be noted that the price of crude oil is significantly lower at the moment than the last time gas prices spiked anywhere near what they are currently. How is that NOT absurd?
    Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Every fuel station I ever seen immediately raises pries in accordance with upward movement of crude oil. And always say they bought their fuel at much higher prices 6 months ago when price of crude goes down.
    I remember when gas was 89 cents a gallon, though I wasn't driving at the time. Gas around here was just over $3 a gallon last time I checked, so you could get 3 fill ups and lunch with that differential.

And consumer gasoline is essentially tied to the average price of crude in the last 6 months, plus the standard deviation of the price of crude. So when crude oil is especially swingy, the price goes up. And it takes a while for drops of prices in crude oil to trickle to the consumer market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    We should change the collective noun for crocodiles to "an abundance of crocodiles".
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Dwarf in the Playground

- Plus, have to remember much fuel comes from the refiners' own sources, not from the world market. They may in fact be getting their crude from fields which are above-market prices.
    - Many of the companies are also carrying the costs of the binge into shale etc which promised to be viable in c2005 but weren't in c2018.
    - Several of the old, cheap fields [example: North Sea] are now in decline, and the new ones coming online are more expensive to exploit [which they weren't touched before].
    - There are other inputs into refining than just crude.
    - The profits from gasoline sales is being used to subsidise the costs of fitting hydrogen pumps etc.
    Shameless plug for my pbp forum: http://eabn.forumotion.co.uk/
    Got a pbp VtM game forum? PM me, please.

'This is my truth, tell me yours.' - Nye Bevan

9. - Top - End - #789
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    I don't know. I know that engineers can typically find jobs easier regardless of their school of origin. But for lawyers (to my knowledge) that isn't the case. Like employers really care about which school you went to, and it's very cultish, whereas other majors aren't exactly the same in that regard (although there may be some that are).
    The simple fact is that there is a glut of law school graduates relative to what the market can take. This not only means that more desirable firms (and other employers) can be more selective, but also that the bigger employers must be more superficially selective when it comes to on campus recruiting/interviewing and sorting through resumes that come from open recruiting and cold solicitations. If you've been employed long employed long enough for people to notice your abilities, or if you did something extraordinarily noteworthy during law school (such as winning one of the major moot court competitions or getting something published), then where you went to school becomes almost irrelevant. However, if you're one of hundreds (if not thousands) of recent graduates applying for a handful of associate positions with a major firm and you don't find a way to make yourself immediately stand out from the crowd, your school and your ranking within the school matters much more. Even a regional firm might be able to cut everyone who didn't come from a top twenty national law school or rank in the top 5% or 10% of a decent regional law school, and still have around a hundred resumes to examine more closely.

It's also less work-intensive to vet engineers for the skills that directly impact how good they will be at a job. Passing the Bar in most states is... a pretty low bar. Also, beyond basic competencies, it doesn't really show whether you'd be a good trial lawyer, or whether you'd be good at legal research, or just generally being quick on your feet and giving sound, well-reasoned legal advice to a client in a timely manner. Unless an applicant really stood out competitively as a law student, you really have no clue how someone would be at these skills until you interview them. In contrast, the fundamentals of engineering exams and supervised work requirements to get your EIT/PE tend to be a bit more stringent about foundational engineering skills very relevant to most jobs. It's also easier to look at grades and theses/engineering projects in your school record and get a good picture of an engineers skills and deficiencies. I would be incredibly wary about hiring a structural engineer who took multiple attempts to barely pass solid mechanics; in contrast, quite a few people I know who just barely passed criminal law and criminal procedure became very successful at criminal prosecution or criminal defense.