New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

Ok, here's a good question...I think.

Why do people suck at spelling properly when using text-based communication, when they aren't in a rush?

Seriously, it's not like its hard to take a moment to check and make sure that you spelled something right.
    To those who wish a nerd to enter the fray, they need only bring up an interesting story or possible plot lines. I'll even help those who want a bit of feedback on something if they ask for it.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lorekeeper View Post
    Ok, here's a good question...I think.

Why do people suck at spelling properly when using text-based communication, when they aren't in a rush?

Seriously, it's not like its hard to take a moment to check and make sure that you spelled something right.
    In my case, most of the time it's because doing a re read, I read what I expect to see. Coming back 5 minutes later, I see what I actually wrote.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

In addition it is not always "easy". You may find it such but if it were not for the damn little wiggly red lines all my text based communication would be a mass of misspellings (more than they end up being)...and I wouldn't know. I was heavily trained in how to spell but English makes little to no sense to me in this and just route memorization doesn't work for me (when i need to recall it for a test I can, when I need to recall it to use the word it may as well not exist). I may have a massive vocabulary that I use extensively but my brain does not naturally process that mass of data as letter groupings.

Some people can't remember names, some can not kick a ball into a net, some people can not remember history, some can not "math" (how has this become a verb?), some people have to be guided through the most basic of logic arguments, some people can not drive in a safe manner, some can not spell. Just because one is good at these things does not mean there are actually easy for everyone. The same amount of effort from different people will produce massively different results.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Firbolg in the Playground

I was recently introduced to the phrase "virtue-signalling." Apparently, it's supposed to be an insult. i don't get how it is suppose to sound negative, at all.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"Look-at-me! I'm am doing GOOD! Thus I am GOOD! And you should praise me!/I am better than you!" is how people who see virtue signalling as an insult see the behavior that draws the comment.
    Actual result of behavior is irrelevant.

Declaring not only do they think they have a better set of values than the people they are signalling to, but that they should be praises, given social status, or as a weapon against those with "lesser" moralities. So, not doing good for doing good but to appear to do/be good for social benefits.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I was recently introduced to the phrase "virtue-signalling." Apparently, it's supposed to be an insult. i don't get how it is suppose to sound negative, at all.
    It is sometimes described as "doing the right thing for the wrong reasons". Its not even a recent thing (the name for it is, mind you, but not the action itself). For example, in the Bible, there is a moment when a rich man ostentatiously donates money to a temple. Without going into the religion of it, that is virtue signaling: "look at me as I donate a large sum to the temple, look how much better I am than those that give less". I am sure there are even more ancient examples, but I think a couple millenia is plenty far back*.

Of course, on the Internet, when used as an accusation or insult, it usually is done by assuming that the reasons were the wrong ones - that "no-one could possibly truly want to better the lives of 'those' people, so the fact that you are campaigning for it must mean you only care about how it will make you look good, but you are as xenophobic as I am, you just don't want to admit it". As is frequently the case (as with the "SJW as insult"), it says more about the person using the term than the person the term is ascribed to.

Grey Wolf

*ETA: a more modern example is Sean Connery, who has given a lot of money to various causes, but stopped doing it publicly, because he found that only brought forth accusations of him "doing it for the publicity" and therefore distracted from the cause he wanted to help.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-12-06 at 10:28 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #307
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Because it's a form of vainglory. In the literal sense, communicating your virtues IS technically falling into vanity, whatever the purpose. As a rule of thumb, people aren't expected to be "honest"* about their virtuosity, but rather speech in a more humble form. It escapes me the reason why people would be offended by others having some virtue (whatever it is) but it's widely considered rude. And also, most people would regard you as an hypocrite anyway.

Other than that, I think the thing is "insults" are never meant to be taken literally and out of context. There is nothing wrong with the words "gay", "cis" or "SJW" per se... It's just that even if some people can use it in a friendly manner, others will prefer to wield them as slurs. Whether your gender/sexuality/behaviour is in fact, questioned or not; that's secondary to the point of the insult. An insult is meant to hurt, not judge. Judgement is what usually leads to insult, but not every insult is permeated with a proper judgement of the person. It's like throwing an F- bomb. People sometimes just feel like it, despite the literal meaning of the word**.

*Whether that "honesty" is sincere or not, objective or not; that's beside the point.
    **Of course, a lot of people JUDGE and therefore use an insult. What I mean is that whichever the case, eventually the expression used for an "insult" develops its own connotation, that may or may not be used by a judgemental person. Now, whether a word/expression should qualify as an insult, that's a different question
    Last edited by Lord Joeltion; 2017-12-06 at 10:51 AM.
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The implication is that the alleged virtue is in fact a false front. You aren't doing it because you are good, you are doing it because it makes people think you are good. The accusation is that you don't actually care about the cause at all, its just being used as a shield from criticism.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    In my case, most of the time it's because doing a re read, I read what I expect to see. Coming back 5 minutes later, I see what I actually wrote.
    This happens to me as well, particularly when typing from my phone (which is usually when I'm posting to Facebook). My phone doesn't autocorrect; it will offer suggestions (some of which are helpful and many of which are not), but if I just keep typing away, it won't auto-substitute anything. So I look back over what I wrote, see what I expect to see, and only when checking replies later will I see any typos I may have made.

It's not precisely the same thing, but if you're familiar with the expression "holier-than-thou," that should give you an idea of the spirit in which "virtue-signalling" is meant as insulting. It's basically an accusation that someone is trying to show how morally superior they are than someone else, and often carries an implication of falsehood as well.

10. - Top - End - #310

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The implication is that the alleged virtue is in fact a false front. You aren't doing it because you are good, you are doing it because it makes people think you are good. The accusation is that you don't actually care about the cause at all, its just being used as a shield from criticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    Because it's a form of vainglory. In the literal sense, communicating your virtues IS technically falling into vanity, whatever the purpose. As a rule of thumb, people aren't expected to be "honest"* about their virtuosity, but rather speech in a more humble form. It escapes me the reason why people would be offended by others having some virtue (whatever it is) but it's widely considered rude. And also, most people would regard you as an hypocrite anyway.

Other than that, I think the thing is "insults" are never meant to be taken literally and out of context. There is nothing wrong with the words "gay", "cis" or "SJW" per se... It's just that even if some people can use it in a friendly manner, others will prefer to wield them as slurs. Whether your gender/sexuality/behaviour is in fact, questioned or not; that's secondary to the point of the insult. An insult is meant to hurt, not judge. Judgement is what usually leads to insult, but not every insult is permeated with a proper judgement of the person. It's like throwing an F- bomb. People sometimes just feel like it, despite the literal meaning of the word**.

*Whether that "honesty" is sincere or not, objective or not; that's beside the point.
    **Of course, a lot of people JUDGE and therefore use an insult. What I mean is that whichever the case, eventually the expression used for an "insult" develops its own connotation, that may or may not be used by a judgemental person. Now, whether a word/expression should qualify as an insult, that's a different question
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It is sometimes described as "doing the right thing for the wrong reasons". <snip>
    Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    "Look-at-me! I'm am doing GOOD! Thus I am GOOD! And you should praise me!/I am better than you!" is how people who see virtue signalling as an insult see the behavior that draws the comment.
    Actual result of behavior is irrelevant.<snip>
    Thanks, y'all. I think when I first heard the phrase, I only really processed the "virtue" part, and didn't really register the "signalling" part. Now that you explain it it makes sense how someone could think of it as an insult.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Pixie in the Playground

Why isn't the death rate 100%? We all die!

12. - Top - End - #312

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    It's not precisely the same thing, but if you're familiar with the expression "holier-than-thou," that should give you an idea of the spirit in which "virtue-signalling" is meant as insulting. It's basically an accusation that someone is trying to show how morally superior they are than someone else, and often carries an implication of falsehood as well.
    "sanctimony" is another synonym. What I don't understand is why people can't just say "sanctimony"
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PunsAndDragons View Post
    Ive never died. Statistically speaking, I'm pretty sure that means I'm immortal.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Ive never died. Statistically speaking, I'm pretty sure that means I'm immortal.
    I, for one, praise our new Keltest overlord.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #315
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Which is why they don't generally measure death rate as a percentage, but as a number out of every thousand people who die per year.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I, for one, praise our new Keltest overlord.
    We could do worse.

Far worse.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    "sanctimony" is another synonym. What I don't understand is why people can't just say "sanctimony"
    Because it's not entirely synonymous.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Because the mortality rate is implicitly a rate per year. If we aren't all going to die in the next year, then it's not 100%.

19. - Top - End - #319

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    If we aren't all going to die in the next year, then it's not 100%.
    That's a big 'if'.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    That's a big 'if'.
    True, but that isn't a prediction one can make with significant accuracy until fairly close to the end.

21. - Top - End - #321

That's a big 'if'.
    I choose to believe the Keltest will be merciful.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I choose to believe the Keltest will be merciful.
    You lot are entertaining so far. Ill probably spare most of you.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

That's a big 'if'.
    Perhaps, but since some simplistic, shallow, naïve, idealistic people somehow think it isn't going to happen, they don't assume a 100% mortality rate for next year.

And since we are here to have this conversation, it wasn't 100% for the last year, either.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

I get asked questions about transit a lot. Mostly from people I don't know, some of whom seem like they might be out of town. Some questions are pretty reasonable, like "which bus goes to Rose Quarter?" that sort of thing.

Yet there are some questions that could be answered if folks would just read the danged signs. Yes, the train that has the sign that says "Airport" will take you to the airport. No, the train with the sign that says "Out of Service" will not take you to Beaverton. I mean, these questions would make sense if the signs were hard to see or hard to read but they're not. They're on the front, back, and sides of each train car!
    Last edited by The Fury; 2017-12-27 at 02:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    I get asked questions about transit a lot. Mostly from people I don't know, some of whom seem like they might be out of town. Some questions are pretty reasonable, like "which bus goes to Rose Quarter?" that sort of thing.

Yet there are some questions that could be answered if folks would just read the danged signs. Yes, the train that has the sign that says "Airport" will take you to the airport. No, the train with the sign that says "Out of Service" will not take you to Beaverton. I mean, these questions would make sense if the signs were hard to see or hard to read but they're not. They're on the front, back, and sides of each train car!
    I feel you there. About half the questions I get every day at the library involve how to use the printer... that has the instructions literally taped to the top of it.

26. - Top - End - #326

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    I feel you there. About half the questions I get every day at the library involve how to use the printer... that has the instructions literally taped to the top of it.
    Ok, this kind of bugs me. One of my friends works at a library. She got her Bachelor's in history. The library is her first non-retail job, and she loves it there. It's a dream job. Couldn't be happier. But she posts all these memes about librarians, as if she were one. I learned back in high school, librarian is not an easy position to get into. They're basically professional researchers with at least a Master's in library science, not people with a useless degree who happen to get a job in a library (i love her, but seriously, what do you do with just an undergrad degree in history?). The thing is, writing in a library makes get perfectly happy. She doesn't need to be a librarian. Linear Assistant is wonderful. She loves it, and im really happy that she had such a great job that she actually is excited about going to in the mornings. It's wonderful. I just don't get why she always tries to play up the librarian angle.

27. - Top - End - #327

Imp

I see two simple reasons to lean into librarian:

A). Ambition. Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. She wants to be a librarian, so she thinks of herself as librarian.

B). Simplicity. Very few people know what a linear assistant is. Tell someone you work in a library, they assume you're a librarian. Why get specific when the easier explanation works?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

28. - Top - End - #328

A). Ambition. Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. She wants to be a librarian, so she thinks of herself as librarian.

B). Simplicity. Very few people know what a linear assistant is. Tell someone you work in a library, they assume you're a librarian. Why get specific when the easier explanation works?
    This is one of the smartest people I know. She is very sharp, and when she does have a goal she wants to go for, she absolutely follows through on it. If she wanted an MLS, I have little doubt that she would pursue it. She seems perfectly happy with the job she has.

As for B, most people don't know what a clinical assistant is, but I'm pretty sure they say "i work in a doctor's office" over "I'm a nurse/doctor."

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

My thoughts on the matter:

She identifies with a lot of the workplace humour associated with being a librarian, so she shares it on social media.

She isn't going to be fined for false practise like someone claiming to be an engineer would.
    Last edited by Mith; 2017-12-28 at 03:20 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

I think B in particular is quite true (though I don't know whether it's the motivation in this case or not). Quite a few people have no idea that there's a degree for librarianship at all, much less that it's a master's. One of the first things pointed out to me in library school was that the average library goer doesn't know the difference between a shelver and a librarian. Most probably have no idea that catalogers even exist, much less what they do. This is often used to motivate MLS (or in my case MLIS) students to do a better job in communicating to the public what it is we do and why it matters, since libraries are in a constant fight for adequate funding (and also because every single one of us hates the "oh, it must be nice having a job where you get to read all day" comments from people who have no idea what we do).

This is one of the smartest people I know. She is very sharp, and when she does have a goal she wants to go for, she absolutely follows through on it. If she wanted an MLS, I have little doubt that she would pursue it. She seems perfectly happy with the job she has.

As for B, most people don't know what a clinical assistant is, but I'm pretty sure they say "i work in a doctor's office" over "I'm a nurse/doctor."
    Not knowing her, I can't say for sure what her motivations may be. I will say though that at a previous job while I was still working as a desk assistant, several of my librarian coworkers would refer to me as a librarian even though I didn't have the job responsibilities they had. That was a different situation since I was already most of the way through my MLIS program before I even started there, but it could be something similar in her case.