Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

I may well be more annoyed at it than I really should be. My dad had a small elitist attitude that favored the highly educated, and I won't deny that it rubbed off on me somewhat.

Also, to be fair, a job where you get to read all day would be nice. Lemme know if you ever find one.
    I'M A DADDY!

Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"
    Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Applying the swarm rules and vampire template to a group of babies strikes me as incredibly funny.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I may well be more annoyed at it than I really should be. My dad had a small elitist attitude that favored the highly educated, and I won't deny that it rubbed off on me somewhat.

Also, to be fair, a job where you get to read all day would be nice. Lemme know if you ever find one.
    Full time book critic and editor?

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I could be a book critic.

I'M A DADDY!

It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"
    Applying the swarm rules and vampire template to a group of babies strikes me as incredibly funny.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The only problem there is that, by definition, you're going to be spending a lot of your time reading *bad* books. You couldn't pick up Eragon and drop it after 30 pages because your eyes were bleeding, you'd have to go through the whole thing!

5. - Top - End - #335
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post

Comment Moderator? Professional Spell Checker (if that is still a thing)? Proofreader is certainly still a thing thought right?

I think there is a fair number of jobs out there where you not only get to but have to read all day everyday. Or at least, most of the time (there will always be some part of your job revolving around reacting to the things you read, a critic for example would also have to write reviews and can't just read).

Maybe Audiobook narrator? You get to read [outloud] the whole day. I think that's the closest you can get to just reading and not reacting.

However, it is still easy to think of jobs where your main activity is to read things all day.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Conformist [kuh n-fawr-mist] Noun: Not one of us. Mainly used by groups of people who are all using the same way to be different. See also: Irony.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Those are both heavy on writing as well as reading.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The only problem there is that, by definition, you're going to be spending a lot of your time reading *bad* books. You couldn't pick up Eragon and drop it after 30 pages because your eyes were bleeding, you'd have to go through the whole thing!
    Sure you could. Considering that the function of a literary critic is to inform people about books so they'd get an idea of whether or not they'd enjoy them, if you were to write, "After reading 30 pages my eyes started to bleed. It's probably cursed or something. I cannot recommend this book to anyone," your readers will have learned what they need to know to make an informed decision.
    Iop brain.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Sure you could. Considering that the function of a literary critic is to inform people about books so they'd get an idea of whether or not they'd enjoy them, if you were to write, "After reading 30 pages my eyes started to bleed. It's probably cursed or something. I cannot recommend this book to anyone," your readers will have learned what they need to know to make an informed decision.
    Jorge Luis Borges on Ulysses: "I confess that I have not cleared a path through all 700 pages, I confess to having examined only bits and pieces, and yet I know what it is, with that bold and legitimate certainty with which we assert our knowledge of a city, without ever having been rewarded with the intimacy of all the many streets it includes."

To be fair, though, it is James Joyce.
    I'M A DADDY!