Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 310
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    I'm totally with you when it comes to PDA. I would argue that anything you wouldn't do to a relative (obviously I am assuming here that you're a normal person and not say someone who is currently trying to keep the royal bloodline pure for the next generation) is something you shouldn't really do in public. The polite and proper way to behave outside is in such a way that you blend easy with the crowed. Everybody who's outside has their own life to live and they don't want to take notice of yours, it's the same reason you should keep your arguments to yourself. If you do something that makes you stand out (like making out for half an hour, or even for just a few minuts) I will simply assume you're doing it for the attention and judge you accordingly.

    That is the thing of course about the public space. You can do what you want outside (as long as it is legal) and nobody can stop (nor should they try too) but some of the things people can do outside is watch and judge others. If you don't want somebody to watch what you're doing, do it somewhere they can't watch it.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given



    Conformist [kuh n-fawr-mist] – Noun: Not one of us. Mainly used by groups of people who are all using the same way to be different. See also: Irony.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over there ->
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post

    Shows like Survivor and Big Brother started out with firstly the faux-psychology-experiment gimmick, and novelty value.
    I enjoyed the first few seasons of Survivor and Big Brother. After that, it became about the drama and how to stir it up. The host of Survivor is super notorious for this. Often at "Tribal Council", he'll bring something up that was supposed to be private just to get the drama going.


    Quote Originally Posted by The Eye View Post
    1- People who spit in the street, why do why people spit on the street? It's such a horrible habit that I see so many random pedestrians just spiting on the street as if it was something normal and no one besides me batting an eye or calling then out on their horrible behavior. Why? In my 24 years of existence I never felt the need... The urge to do that, why do people feel that they need to? Is there a thing I'm not getting?
    I got triggered so badly one day. i was out to eat with my family and the restaurant that we were eating at had their entire front redone. New Sidewalks, new parking lot, the works. When i say they just had it done...i mean they just did it the night before.

    Anyway, we're eating and it's a busy night and lots of people are coming and going. Then a guy and his group of friends come around the corner...probably not even 20 years old. They open the door and this guy makes the snottiest, messiest sound that i could imagine and spat right in front of the door, right in the middle of the brand new sidewalk, right where everyone was going to be walking.I don't think he did it on purpose. It's not like he laughed about it afterwards, but I got so irritated at it that if i was not an introverted antisocial person who fears any kind of social interaction. I would have probably have said something.


    Here's something that I'll never understand. Why do people get so angry at multiplayer gaming?I get it...in cases where there's something actually on the line like say you were playing a ranked game of League of Legends, but even then there's no reason to yell and scream at your opponents or teammates. Especially when there's nothing on the line...There's no reason to get angry. If things don't go your way, then sit back and try again next time. However, i've been yelled at ,screamed at, reported for cheating, told to kill myself. It's absolutely absurd how angry people get over a video game. Then you get on the forums and complain about all the toxicity within a community and you often just get told to toughen up and get over it. That's...not the kind of attitude that leads to a positive conclusion.

    In my opinion, If gaming wants to put itself up there with other sports, then there really needs to be some sort of sportsmanship conduct in any multiplayer game. I think part of the problem is that many of the people playing video games don't really get the opportunity or have to learn what proper sportsmanship is and what it means. All they know is how to get angry and yell at people who beat them.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GolemsVoice's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post

    Here's something that I'll never understand. Why do people get so angry at multiplayer gaming?I get it...in cases where there's something actually on the line like say you were playing a ranked game of League of Legends, but even then there's no reason to yell and scream at your opponents or teammates. Especially when there's nothing on the line...There's no reason to get angry. If things don't go your way, then sit back and try again next time. However, i've been yelled at ,screamed at, reported for cheating, told to kill myself. It's absolutely absurd how angry people get over a video game. Then you get on the forums and complain about all the toxicity within a community and you often just get told to toughen up and get over it. That's...not the kind of attitude that leads to a positive conclusion.

    In my opinion, If gaming wants to put itself up there with other sports, then there really needs to be some sort of sportsmanship conduct in any multiplayer game. I think part of the problem is that many of the people playing video games don't really get the opportunity or have to learn what proper sportsmanship is and what it means. All they know is how to get angry and yell at people who beat them.
    Frustration. I am generally a polite guy, even if I have somewhat of a temper, but I lose it sometimes. Not on voice, though, and I never actually communicate this to my teammates, but it happens. If you get killed a lot, maybe even in ways which seem unfair, or embarrasing, and/or you feel that your teammates are just that incompetent, it build up a mighty feeling of powerlessness. And sometimes you just want to vent that.

    Then there's the fact that sometimes, the players aren't exactly mature, emotionally or simply age-wise. To a certain point, I guess, it's a self-enforcing circle, because people might even feel like it's expected, just a thing you do when playing, say, CoD, and so people do it, and so it's expected...

    Also, obviously, internet anonymity, and almost total lack of enforcement. Note that I'm not defending this kind of behaviour, just explaining it.

    Last but not least, if you look at popular sports, like soccer, there's a lot of rudeness going on, both during and after the game, kept in check mainly by the presence of the referee and maybe the audience. Now, the FANS however....
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

    The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lvl 2 Expert's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Beer and Chocolateland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    If it's spitting in the street or swallowing a huge chuck of phlegm, I'll spit every time. I try to do it as out of the way as possible, but out it goes.
    I know a guy who has this as a pet peeve. He organizes water sports specific training for young people following an education to become sports instructors/organizers/professionals, and he generally is of the opinion that most of them aren't professional or motivated enough to make it in sports. This is coming from a man who was educated as a musician himself and then fought his way into the field, so there's probably some truth to his ideas on how to handle a career like that. But spitting on the ground is his main pet peeve. He'll mention it in his "big" start of the day speech, and he's just so ashamed when he's talking to someone from the sailing club who's grounds we're on and he sees one of the students sitting there spitting on the ground. So I guess my point is: know that each and every one of you ground spitters have a mortal enemy out there somewhere. A mortal enemy who's a cool dude overall and good at what he does, but still.

    Myself, I'll do it occasionally, on those moments when you're plowing along with a dry mouth and no drinking water in the foreseeable future, and there's nobody around whom I wouldn't want to have a bad image of me.
    The ultimate OOTS cookie cutter nameless soldier is the hobgoblin.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NothingAbnormal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    No where out there <-->

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Well, this one may take me to the stake, but here goes:
    Anime, particularly people's obsession with it... Why?
    Last edited by NothingAbnormal; 2017-09-29 at 02:14 PM.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH Feel free to use it, I would love to hear how it went!

    Renegade Hippie DM in the Playground

    Extended Sig


    "There are many here among us,
    Who feel that life is but a joke"


    Prestige Class Contest 3.X, Race to the Top

    Chat Thread || Voting Thread

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Lettuce's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Spitting in the streets: I have to say that I 100% agree with OP on this one-- it's icky and gross and spreads germs. To all of you people who post about why you do it: Yes, the reasons for needing to spit are absolutely quite fair, but-- why do you not carry a packet of tissues with you, that you can spit into if you need to? It's like not covering your mouth when you cough, except ten times worse!

    PDA: Eh, I don't have problems with 'em, as long as no one's getting undressed. No one's forcing me to watch them, and it obviously means something to them, so... sure, why not, I guess. *shrugs* Generally I have something else to be doing anyway-- walking somewhere, shopping, or sitting and reading-- so by and large no one person stays on my radar for very long. Depending on how prudish you are, you could say that I'm a contributor myself: my husband and I walk holding hands when we're out together sometimes (although this is somewhat common where I live), and we will sometimes give each other quick kisses (e.g. like if he's leaving me at the table to go order food at the local pub), but that's about it. I'd find doing a full make-out session in front of other people pretty awkward, but hey, to each their own.

    Career Advisors: O...kayyyy.... that's kind of a sweeping assumption without any data provided to back it up. Where does this broad generalization come from, and if it indeed comes from nowhere, why entertain it and be mistaken? I guess you could say I don't understand this thing-you-don't-understand!

    - - -

    Responding to the person above me about anime, I would guess that it's for the same reason a person might like "movies" or "music"-- the art style appeals to them and they've liked both content and delivery of the stories they've watched. Liking "anime" is really broad thing, so it's hard to pinpoint anything specific that's the sole appeal. Slightly different tropes or different cultural undertones/values? Different narrative techniques and different tones mixed and struck withing a series? Soundtracks and instrumentation slightly different and utilized differently than in western media? *shrug* And I imagine that the reasons that people like specific genres within it vary depending on what the genre in question is, the same as it would in movies/books/music/etc.

    - - -

    My thing that I don't brain: Why does the "insert" key still exist on the keyboard? What's it used for in this day and age? I mean-- I obviously know what it's LITERALLY used for, but... why would anyone want to messily overwrite stuff they're typing? I'm genuinely curious about what use people have for it since I'd be much happier if it were gone, seeing as I seem to have this mildly frustrating habit of not realizing I've accidentally pressed it at some point (it's right next to one of the arrow keys on my keyboard) until I've gone and typed half a sentence over something else.

    My other thing that I don't brain: Some people using terms like 'nerd' or 'geek' as a put-down. The concept of intelligence and/or studiousness being objectionable traits is honestly pretty baffling to me. My best guess is 'jealousy', but I get the feeling that it has to be more than that-- it's far more seldom that I seem to hear people making fun of people for being too pretty or athletic or what-have-you.
    Last edited by Lettuce; 2017-09-29 at 09:02 AM.
    “Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.”
    ― Meg Cabot

    Avatar by me!

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Well, this one may take me to the stake, [b]ut here goes:
    Anime, particularly people's obsession with it... Why?
    The story structure and/or its tropes and/or its imagery appeals to them, presumably. I.e. "they like it". I myself quite enjoyed Ranma 1/2 when I was younger, even if I simply can't get into anime anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    Career Advisors: O...kayyyy.... that's kind of a sweeping assumption without any data provided to back it up. Where does this broad generalization come from, and if it indeed comes from nowhere, why entertain it and be mistaken? I guess you could say I don't understand this thing-you-don't-understand!
    Even a cursory examination of other threads started by The Eye will tell you that he is an uncommonly judgmental individual quick to make sweeping generalisations of entire professions. Also, he hates sports.

    In short, "it's him, not you".

    Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    My thing that I don't brain: Why does the "insert" key still exist on the keyboard? What's it used for in this day and age? I mean-- I obviously know what it's LITERALLY used for, but... why would anyone want to messily overwrite stuff they're typing? I'm genuinely curious about what use people have for it since I'd be much happier if it were gone, seeing as I seem to have this mildly frustrating habit of not realizing I've accidentally pressed it at some point (it's right next to one of the arrow keys on my keyboard) until I've gone and typed half a sentence over something else.
    Some of us still have to deal with Fixed Width files where each field is not delimited by commas as in a csv but by establishing that each field must be a pre-arranged length. When editing such files, insert is a great way to ensure you don't break them.

    But yes, thankfully, they are dying out and the insert key is increasingly obsolete.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    My other thing that I don't brain: Some people using terms like 'nerd' or 'geek' as a put-down. The concept of intelligence and/or studiousness being objectionable traits is honestly pretty baffling to me. My best guess is 'jealousy', but I get the feeling that it has to be more than that-- it's far more seldom that I seem to hear people making fun of people for being too pretty or athletic or what-have-you.
    I believe you misunderstand the intention behind the insult. It is not accusing them of being smart (presumably, anyone who makes "nerd" an insulting remark puts little stock on knowledge) so much as remarking on the negative stereotypes associated with the labels - usually lack of social graces. They are not saying that the individual is too intelligent as much as they are saying that "your knowledge of that area demonstrates you are incapable of having friends/getting laid/etc".

    As to the reason they are insulting them? Reasons will vary, of course, but it probably is a form of tribalism ("you are an outsider to my group").

    Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-09-29 at 09:38 AM.
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum,
    there wouldn't have been such speculation.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    Scientia est similis fluminis te capere non possunt in perpetuum
    (Knowledge, like a river, cannot be constrained forever)

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Lettuce's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Some of us still have to deal with Fixed Width files where each field is not delimited by commas as in a csv but by establishing that each field must be a pre-arranged length. When editing such files, insert is a great way to ensure you don't break them.

    But yes, thankfully, they are dying out and the insert key is increasingly obsolete.
    Ah-ha! I knew there had to be a reason; thank you. I guess I'm lucky that I haven't had the 'privilege' of interacting with any such program!

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I believe you misunderstand the intention behind the insult. It is not accusing them of being smart (presumably, anyone who makes "nerd" and insulting remark puts little stock on knowledge) so much as remarking on the negative stereotypes associated with the labels - usually lack of social graces. They are not saying that the individual is too intelligent as much as they are saying that "your knowledge of that area demonstrates you are incapable of having friends/getting laid/etc".

    As to the reason they are insulting them? Reasons will vary, of course, but it probably is a form of tribalism ("you are an outsider to my group").

    Grey Wolf
    Huh... so to put it another way, it's due to (erroneously) grouping several traits together and making an over-generalization that if you have one trait in that group, then you must have all of them? That's an interesting way of looking at it! And you're right-- I had definitely thought that they were suggesting that being smart was itself a negative trait, somehow. Your explanation is definitely more brain-able.
    “Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.”
    ― Meg Cabot

    Avatar by me!

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Here's something that I'll never understand. Why do people get so angry at multiplayer gaming?I get it...in cases where there's something actually on the line like say you were playing a ranked game of League of Legends, but even then there's no reason to yell and scream at your opponents or teammates. Especially when there's nothing on the line...There's no reason to get angry. If things don't go your way, then sit back and try again next time. However, i've been yelled at ,screamed at, reported for cheating, told to kill myself. It's absolutely absurd how angry people get over a video game. Then you get on the forums and complain about all the toxicity within a community and you often just get told to toughen up and get over it. That's...not the kind of attitude that leads to a positive conclusion.

    In my opinion, If gaming wants to put itself up there with other sports, then there really needs to be some sort of sportsmanship conduct in any multiplayer game. I think part of the problem is that many of the people playing video games don't really get the opportunity or have to learn what proper sportsmanship is and what it means. All they know is how to get angry and yell at people who beat them.
    Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    Frustration. I am generally a polite guy, even if I have somewhat of a temper, but I lose it sometimes. Not on voice, though, and I never actually communicate this to my teammates, but it happens. If you get killed a lot, maybe even in ways which seem unfair, or embarrasing, and/or you feel that your teammates are just that incompetent, it build up a mighty feeling of powerlessness. And sometimes you just want to vent that.

    Then there's the fact that sometimes, the players aren't exactly mature, emotionally or simply age-wise. To a certain point, I guess, it's a self-enforcing circle, because people might even feel like it's expected, just a thing you do when playing, say, CoD, and so people do it, and so it's expected...

    Also, obviously, internet anonymity, and almost total lack of enforcement. Note that I'm not defending this kind of behaviour, just explaining it.

    Last but not least, if you look at popular sports, like soccer, there's a lot of rudeness going on, both during and after the game, kept in check mainly by the presence of the referee and maybe the audience. Now, the FANS however....
    To put it more succinctly, refer to John Gabriel's Greater Internet F***wad Theory.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    Huh... so to put it another way, it's due to (erroneously) grouping several traits together and making an over-generalization that if you have one trait in that group, then you must have all of them? That's an interesting way of looking at it! And you're right-- I had definitely thought that they were suggesting that being smart was itself a negative trait, somehow. Your explanation is definitely more brain-able.
    There is some of that as well, though. Especially here in North America, but to an extent everywhere, there is an anti-intellectual subculture that has been ongoing since... the 80s maybe?

    You can see this represented in the denial of scientific fact, cuts of funding for higher education and other such things.

    But it still tends to boil down to an "Us vs Them" thing. We aren't nerds, they are, therefore being a nerd is inherently bad!
    (To be honest with ourselves, we tend to do the same to Jocks, Preps, Goths, whatever other clique we aren't.)

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GolemsVoice's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Well, this one may take me to the stake, nut here goes:
    Anime, particularly people's obsession with it... Why?
    With anime, I suspect part of it is the same as with role-playing games and video games. There was (and to some extent still is) a certain social stigma attached to liking "nerdy" things, as we are discussing right now. While anime has some mainstream appeal, like RPGs and video games, many people still remember real or imagined shaming, and thus get overzealous in response. Also, a lot of anime is still not readily available outside of Japan (it's much better now, as far as I know, though), so to get into anime outside of the mainstream, you probably have to bring some zealousness from the get go.

    Also, as Grey Wolf said, most people just like it, and as with any fandom, some make an obsession out of it.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

    The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Well, this one may take me to the stake, nut here goes:
    Anime, particularly people's obsession with it... Why?
    Part of it is that the tropes and style of it is very different from western media. It's similar to how some people will become obsessed with K-pop, or Nordic metal music. Or the British version of the Office. Or Thai food. Really anything that's interesting, and different from what's commonly available.

    (Note, this is also why many of those same folks will shun western adaptations of the same. The writers and directors used the tropes and styles familiar to them, which are different from the styles the fanbase likes. Again, see The Office.)

    There's also a certain amount of novelty involved in being a fan of something unusual, especially from a different culture. Some people (obviously not the majority, but some of the obsessives) take that novelty and decide it's a superiority, something that makes them unique, and they use it to define themselves. You can see similar in any niche fandom. Like D&D for instance.
    Last edited by ve4grm; 2017-09-29 at 02:04 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NothingAbnormal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    No where out there <-->

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Alright, maybe I should have said why they try to get everyone else to watch it even when they don't want to? More of a why is no not an answer?
    Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    You can see similar in any niche fandom. Like D&D for instance.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH Feel free to use it, I would love to hear how it went!

    Renegade Hippie DM in the Playground

    Extended Sig


    "There are many here among us,
    Who feel that life is but a joke"


    Prestige Class Contest 3.X, Race to the Top

    Chat Thread || Voting Thread

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground
     
    golentan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bottom of a well

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Alright, maybe I should have said why they try to get everyone else to watch it even when they don't want to? More of a why is no not an answer?


    Often because people hear anime and think of maybe one or two genres, when it has a LOT of genres and sub-niches, and most shows have a complete plot of varying degrees of originality and genre convention. Saying "I don't like anime" to an anime fan is usually perceived as a bit like saying "not a big fan of chinese food" to a foodie on a trip to Beijing when you've only had the Panda Express at the mall. I'm with you on Panda, but c'mon, have a bite of this mushroom noodle soup and tell me it isn't the best damn mushroom soup you've ever tasted, we could eat a different delicacy from a different world class chef every meal and die comfortably of old age before experiencing a tenth of what's on offer!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

    Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

    Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Alright, maybe I should have said why they try to get everyone else to watch it even when they don't want to? More of a why is no not an answer?


    Eh, again there's similar in any fandom. Passion.

    They love the thing, and they think you would too. If you maybe just gave it a chance! No, more of a chance than that! No, I swear you'll like this one! Argh, why don't you like this one??!!?!?

    People want to share their passions with people. See the Rick and Morty discussion above this in the thread. Some folks like it, some don't, and some of those who love it have a hard time seeing why people might not.

    I think everyone does it to a certain extent, with different things. Bands, shows, sports, books, whatever. Some are more... passionate than others.

    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Often because people hear anime and think of maybe one or two genres, when it has a LOT of genres and sub-niches, and most shows have a complete plot of varying degrees of originality and genre convention. Saying "I don't like anime" to an anime fan is usually perceived as a bit like saying "not a big fan of chinese food" to a foodie on a trip to Beijing when you've only had the Panda Express at the mall. I'm with you on Panda, but c'mon, have a bite of this mushroom noodle soup and tell me it isn't the best damn mushroom soup you've ever tasted, we could eat a different delicacy from a different world class chef every meal and die comfortably of old age before experiencing a tenth of what's on offer!
    There is this, too. Anime isn't a genre in itself, and most people could probably find something they liked if they tried.

    But for some folks, that would take a LOT of effort they don't have time for.

    For example, I'd probably be able to find some horror movies I like, or hardcore metal, or whatever. But sifting through it to find that is a tiring thought.
    Last edited by ve4grm; 2017-09-29 at 02:37 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NothingAbnormal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    No where out there <-->

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Often because people hear anime and think of maybe one or two genres, when it has a LOT of genres and sub-niches, and most shows have a complete plot of varying degrees of originality and genre convention. Saying "I don't like anime" to an anime fan is usually perceived as a bit like saying "not a big fan of chinese food" to a foodie on a trip to Beijing when you've only had the Panda Express at the mall. I'm with you on Panda, but c'mon, have a bite of this mushroom noodle soup and tell me it isn't the best damn mushroom soup you've ever tasted, we could eat a different delicacy from a different world class chef every meal and die comfortably of old age before experiencing a tenth of what's on offer!
    Hmm, good point...
    Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    Eh, again there's similar in any fandom. Passion.

    They love the thing, and they think you would too. If you maybe just gave it a chance! No, more of a chance than that! No, I swear you'll like this one! Argh, why don't you like this one??!!?!?

    People want to share their passions with people. See the Rick and Morty discussion above this in the thread. Some folks like it, some don't, and some of those who love it have a hard time seeing why people might not.

    I think everyone does it to a certain extent, with different things. Bands, shows, sports, books, whatever. Some are more... passionate than others.



    There is this, too. Anime isn't a genre in itself, and most people could probably find something they liked if they tried.

    But for some folks, that would take a LOT of effort they don't have time for.

    For example, I'd probably be able to find some horror movies I like, or hardcore metal, or whatever. But sifting through it to find that is a tiring thought.
    Well, maybe I should give anime (another) try... not toturo this time though XD
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH Feel free to use it, I would love to hear how it went!

    Renegade Hippie DM in the Playground

    Extended Sig


    "There are many here among us,
    Who feel that life is but a joke"


    Prestige Class Contest 3.X, Race to the Top

    Chat Thread || Voting Thread

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Well, this one may take me to the stake, but here goes:
    Anime, particularly people's obsession with it... Why?
    For me, at least? I find most Anime utter trash, even what is recommended to me in threads. But that goes for most media, really. However, every so often, there is Anime that just satisfies things I like that I can't find anywhere else. Let's see.

    1) Genre. There is a good amount of nerdy genres in Anime. Cyberpunk, Sword and Sorcery, Sci-Fi, Noir and a lot of other genres really don't get much content outside of anime.

    2) Plot. Now, American TV shows have discovered the long-form story telling again, but for a long time, if you wanted a continuous story in a TV show, you went with Anime. And a lot of it is quite well told.

    3) Art. A lot of anime is just damn beautiful.

    Now, this is mostly anime written for older teens and adults, and mostly shorter series. All the stuff I actually (still)* like is in there.

    *Still because I quite liked Naruto when the first few seasons came out. I imagine I would hate it now. And as a kid I watched a lot of those fairy tale animes that were imported for children's TV.


    What I'll specifically never get about Anime is the humour. I don't think any anime has ever made me laugh. Whether it was a specific comedy anime or just a one-off joke, to me it's all either gigantic cringe or just head-scratching.

    Also, yeah, the "not liking anime thing"... most commonly, if someone says they don't like anime, what they mean is "I've seen episodes of both Dragonball and Naruto, it's all childish crap". Two shows with mainstream appeal, in broadly the same genre aimed at teenagers, when there's anime of every genre and age group you can think of.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2017-09-29 at 03:47 PM.
    “It’s honest. What our religion tells us, the part that is a religion, is that the gods created life to try and make meaning. It’s ultimately hopeless, and even gods die, but the effort is real. Will always have been real, even when everything is over and no one remembers.”
    -The Litany of Earth, Ruthanna Emrys

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NothingAbnormal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    No where out there <-->

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    For me, at least? I find most Anime utter trash, even what is recommended to me in threads. But that goes for most media, really. However, every so often, there is Anime that just satisfies things I like that I can't find anywhere else. Let's see.

    1) Genre. There is a good amount of nerdy genres in Anime. Cyberpunk, Sword and Sorcery, Sci-Fi, Noir and a lot of other genres really don't get much content outside of anime.

    2) Plot. Now, American TV shows have discovered the long-form story telling again, but for a long time, if you wanted a continuous story in a TV show, you went with Anime. And a lot of it is quite well told.

    3) Art. A lot of anime is just damn beautiful.

    Now, this is mostly anime written for older teens and adults, and mostly shorter series. All the stuff I actually (still)* like is in there.

    *Still because I quite liked Naruto when the first few seasons came out. I imagine I would hate it now. And as a kid I watched a lot of those fairy tale animes that were imported for children's TV.
    I hate naruto, one of the ones I have watched (partially)
    What I'll specifically never get about Anime is the humour. I don't think any anime has ever made me laugh. Whether it was a specific comedy anime or just a one-off joke, to me it's all either gigantic cringe or just head-scratching.

    Also, yeah, the "not liking anime thing"... most commonly, if someone says they don't like anime, what they mean is "I've seen episodes of both Dragonball and Naruto, it's all childish crap". Two shows with mainstream appeal, in broadly the same genre aimed at teenagers, when there's anime of every genre and age group you can think of.
    Let's see: an episode of RWBY, naruto, and all of toturo...
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH Feel free to use it, I would love to hear how it went!

    Renegade Hippie DM in the Playground

    Extended Sig


    "There are many here among us,
    Who feel that life is but a joke"


    Prestige Class Contest 3.X, Race to the Top

    Chat Thread || Voting Thread

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Regrettably not Hogwarts
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    "The thing is that you guys stereotype and repress other ideologies and that's bad."

    . . . I think my brain is breaking. Somebody already pointed out that it doesn't make sense how people can function as hypocrites - here's my example of that.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Over the Rainbow
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    Everybody who's outside has their own life to live and they don't want to take notice of yours, it's the same reason you should keep your arguments to yourself. If you do something that makes you stand out (like making out for half an hour, or even for just a few minuts) I will simply assume you're doing it for the attention and judge you accordingly.
    Ugh, I'm not trying to point fingers or accusing you or anything; but this is exactly the argument people use on girls who dress "to stand out", or simply use a skirt "way too short". Which is a totally disgusting way to rationalize things.

    I'm fine if you dislike "having to watch PDA" (nobody ever pointed a gun, I assume; and you could always simply mind your own business); but I totally hate the kind of reasoning supporting your argument. People should do as they please in the street or in their houses, as long they aren't invading/threatening anything that is personal to another being (i.e.: "do as much PDA, but please don't traumatize my kids or rub against my shoulder").

    Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Here's something that I'll never understand. Why do people get so angry at multiplayer gaming?
    In addition to the previous answers; I just want to point out the (kinda) obvious: Games want to be engaging. A game whose people aren't engaged with, is never a good game. From the perspective of the game designer, the actual feeling that the game triggers may or may not relevant; but a "happy player" is always one that feels engaged with the gameplay.

    So, while game design doesn't actually foment hating or being angry at the game; part of GD is certainly creating the most engaging environment. In a competitive game, it's only natural the most common form of engagement is Hate, Despise and Anger. It's a game about destroying things, after all.

    Successful game about blowing stuff up + strong feelings/engagement = PEEPLFKNPWNUONL1NEBCH!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Well, this one may take me to the stake, but here goes:
    Anime, particularly people's obsession with it... Why?
    Because the culture is very different. I could speak a lot about what makes anime its own thing; but in reality it all reduces to the cultural differences. Japanese and Asians in general share a particular form of humor (not talking about comedy). For instance, some months ago I got really hooked by a DORAMA (Japanese "drama" or soup-opera). It was a romantic comedy. Now, I basically never in my life would have watched a romantic series; or any kind of soup-opera. But the show was really witty, fun, and the characters were quirky enough for be truly bizarre; yet realistic enough to appear very human and relatable. A "westernalized" version of the same series I would have probably found not worth my time. I know, because the plot was pretty standard too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    My other thing that I don't brain: Some people using terms like 'nerd' or 'geek' as a put-down. The concept of intelligence and/or studiousness being objectionable traits is honestly pretty baffling to me. My best guess is 'jealousy', but I get the feeling that it has to be more than that-- it's far more seldom that I seem to hear people making fun of people for being too pretty or athletic or what-have-you.
    Depending on the context, the insult might be referring to something related but not necessarily the same or part of the actual meaning of the word. Like when people say "don't be a pussycat". They don't mean cats, or women, or anything sexual. It's the implied connotation of weakness that really matters*. It's like an euphemism, only for insults.

    Now, whether that connotation is true or based on personal belief doesn't truly matters (from a linguistic POV). People convey meaning everyday, and while some are more unfortunate (racist slurs, sexist slurs); some others are more innocuous, like people using the word "nerd" when they mean something else, unrelated to being smart.

    *I wanted to avoid such a sexist slur, but the other example involved "donkeys" and "holes", and I really don't know what would be worse using here.
    Last edited by joeltion; 2017-09-29 at 05:20 PM.
    (sic)

    My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    I hate naruto, one of the ones I have watched (partially)
    Ha, yeah, Naruto (and DragonBall, and others like those) have a very specific audience that they're trying to appeal to. Teen (and somewhat pre-teen) boys. They attract others as well, but if you aren't a teen boy, there's a good chance you won't enjoy it.

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Let's see: an episode of RWBY, naruto, and all of toturo...
    Yeah, not really the broadest of experience. This is like saying you don't like Western cartoons, when you've only seen She-Ra (awesome girls kicking butt), Thundercats (pre-teen male power fantasy) and Alvin and the Chipmunks (youth-focused).

    The key, just like finding a movie you like, or a book you want to read, is finding the genres you enjoy. Do you want to find a good fantasy? Sci-Fi? Action? Do you want comedy? Slice of Life? Something darker?

    I'm sure there would be something you'd enjoy, but go into it with your own preferences first, not those of other people.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Velaryon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Here's something that I'll never understand. Why do people get so angry at multiplayer gaming?I get it...in cases where there's something actually on the line like say you were playing a ranked game of League of Legends, but even then there's no reason to yell and scream at your opponents or teammates. Especially when there's nothing on the line...There's no reason to get angry. If things don't go your way, then sit back and try again next time. However, i've been yelled at ,screamed at, reported for cheating, told to kill myself. It's absolutely absurd how angry people get over a video game. Then you get on the forums and complain about all the toxicity within a community and you often just get told to toughen up and get over it. That's...not the kind of attitude that leads to a positive conclusion.

    In my opinion, If gaming wants to put itself up there with other sports, then there really needs to be some sort of sportsmanship conduct in any multiplayer game. I think part of the problem is that many of the people playing video games don't really get the opportunity or have to learn what proper sportsmanship is and what it means. All they know is how to get angry and yell at people who beat them.
    I may be totally off-base here, but I wonder if it has something to do with gamers having a less developed sense of team, for various reasons.

    1. Gamers usually are playing in the solitude of their own home, connected to other players only via headset (if even that much). Many other players, not only on the opposing side but on their own team as well, are strangers that they will probably never meet in real life.

    2. Regular team-based sports often have coaches, who coordinate strategies for the entire team, cultivate a sense of collective identity among their players, and give directions that most players understand are to be followed for the good of the entire team. Video gaming, to my knowledge, does not have this. I'm not sure about the esports scene because frankly I don't care, but most people playing a team-based game just for fun are no more coordinated than a dodgeball team in 2nd grade gym class.


    Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Well, this one may take me to the stake, but here goes:
    Anime, particularly people's obsession with it... Why?
    Well for one thing, there have always been people who enjoy foreign films. Anime is basically just foreign films, but in animated form. And sometimes more of a TV series than a movie, but you get my point.

    Also, western countries still have a perception that animation is for children's entertainment, or at most for comedic shows (the Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, etc.). With a few exceptions (most of which are at least somewhat influenced by anime anyway), those who want a more dramatic show that's aimed at an age group over 10-12 years old don't have much other than anime to turn to. Also, with a very few exceptions, much of the art and animation of western cartoons is IMO really, really bad anymore.

    For that matter, go back 20 years and there wasn't a whole lot of televised media at all that would appeal to fantasy or superhero fans. Sure, there was some televised sci-fi in the 90's like the various Star Treks and Babylon 5, but other than that you had Buffy in the late 90's, and not much else. Anime scratched the itch of someone who might be looking for something a bit more superhero-ish, or who wanted something more fantasy-based. We have more alternatives now, but anime has had a huge head start in terms of catching the interest of people who are more geek-minded in their entertainment.

    Also, I'd argue that anime was helped along by the Japanese dominance of the video game industry in the 80's and 90's. When Nintendo and Sega ruled the gaming world, they gave Japanese culture an in to western markets that didn't previously exist.


    Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Alright, maybe I should have said why they try to get everyone else to watch it even when they don't want to? More of a why is no not an answer?
    This is not restricted to anime fans. Lots of people tend to push the things they like on others in hopes of finding a new fan they can gush about their passions with. Often times, it has the opposite effect, and makes that person hostile to the thing that they feel is being crammed down their throats. This is why I avoided anime for my teens and early 20's, why one of my friends refuses to ever read A Song of Ice and Fire, and so on.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    Yeah, not really the broadest of experience. This is like saying you don't like Western cartoons, when you've only seen She-Ra (awesome girls kicking butt), Thundercats (pre-teen male power fantasy) and Alvin and the Chipmunks (youth-focused).
    OK, this is actually my biggest problem with anime. Or, more precisely with people who obsess over anime. There are so many different styles and different stories in different genres, and the only thread that holds any of it together is a generic art style. Virtually all of my friends are huge anime fans, and I've never understood it; they love almost all the anime they've seen, and will readily watch things based solely on the fact that they're anime. Now, I've nothing against anime. Some of my favorite movies are animes (I'm looking at you, Castle in the Sky). But I've never seen a reason to completely geek out over the whole damn style. Another of my favorite movies and one of my favorite shows are Western animation (I'm looking at you, Iron Giant and Futurama), and I'm not running out to find every Western animated show I can find. I just don't get it.

    Oh, also, fan service. **** fan service. What a waste of creative ability. If you like that sort of thing, then what's wrong with just admitting it and watching hentai or something? There's been the occasional anime that I've really enjoyed, and then BAM! Pointless, gratuitous fan service. Completely takes me out of the story. Also I hate sports.
    Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    My thing that I don't brain: Why does the "insert" key still exist on the keyboard? What's it used for in this day and age? I mean-- I obviously know what it's LITERALLY used for, but... why would anyone want to messily overwrite stuff they're typing? I'm genuinely curious about what use people have for it since I'd be much happier if it were gone, seeing as I seem to have this mildly frustrating habit of not realizing I've accidentally pressed it at some point (it's right next to one of the arrow keys on my keyboard) until I've gone and typed half a sentence over something else.
    I use the Insert key a lot when I'm copying and pasting something and tweaking it so I can send it out again, because a lot of the communications I need to send to my students are things like "Don't forget that Assessment #1 is coming up next week, on 09/15/17! [Long explanation of things about assessments.]" Next month, I can copy that, paste it, turn Insert on, and over-write the 1 with a 2, the 09/15 with 10/16 (or whatever) and go through the document generally making those kinds of changes (most of my changes are dates and occasionally times, so tend to be the same number of characters each time). I get annoyed when programs override my use of the Insert key (which newer versions of Word seem to).

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Well, this one may take me to the stake, but here goes:
    Anime, particularly people's obsession with it... Why?
    I got really into anime for a while, because until I understood the Japanese set of drama conventions, a lot of the plots seemed less formulaic and more surprising to me than the tv I was used to. After a while, I learned the typical genre conventions they were playing by and my interest in watching pretty much any random thing waned (this was way back before streaming services when people got their anime either as fansubs passed along by mailing tapes around, bought commercial tapes based on the cover art, or had to deal with whatever limited selection of tapes a local rental shop had, so my ability to choose what kind of anime to watch was limited by what people I knew had lying around), but at first it was just nice to have a fresh set of assumptions to work with.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Draconi Redfir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gobbotopia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    if you're going to be spitting out pghlem, carry some tissues with you and spit into that, then toss it into the nearest garbage can. easy, clean, and a thousand times less gross.

    if you're spitting out saliva... dude... just swallow it, it's not going to hurt you.



    As for what i would like to add:

    People who Don't take their shoes off when they enter their home / someone else's home. Like dude, take those off, leave them at the door. You're getting dirt everywhere, no telling what you stepped in outside. n-no, don't put your feet up on the table / couch / bed! You're just making things worse! For cripes sake people just take off your shoes when you enter a home!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show


  25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    Ugh, I'm not trying to point fingers or accusing you or anything; but this is exactly the argument people use on girls who dress "to stand out", or simply use a skirt "way too short". Which is a totally disgusting way to rationalize things.

    I'm fine if you dislike "having to watch PDA" (nobody ever pointed a gun, I assume; and you could always simply mind your own business); but I totally hate the kind of reasoning supporting your argument. People should do as they please in the street or in their houses, as long they aren't invading/threatening anything that is personal to another being (i.e.: "do as much PDA, but please don't traumatize my kids or rub against my shoulder").
    The thing is something like don't traumatize my children doesn't work as a standard because it is way too subjective. I don't think that I, or anyone from my old elementary school would have been traumatized by seeing two peole.. created life so to speak. On the other hand Ned Flander's boys might just get traumatized if they saw a simple innocent kiss. The latter may be a fictional example but there are plenty of real world strict upbringings. Arguably a kid raised in the right culture could get traumatized by this girl of yours wearing a skirt, even if ut isn't too short as long as it shows some skin. The assumption that "potential to traumatize kids" is some kind of standard we can all understand and agree upon is just as wrong as the assumption we can agree upon what is and isn't moral behaviour.

    Similarly, the idea that if there is no gun pointed at you then you don't have to watch it makes no sense. Take for example one if the general concensus on decent public behaviour: you don't go outside in the nude. Not everyone agrees with it but most people do and for now I will assume you are part of this general public. Would you tell me that if a man walked into bus nude and sat down in your line of sight, maybw not directly across from but it still a seat facing you that you could simply ignore him? That you could chose not to look at him and feel the same as if he wasn't there? What if this man started to... really enjoy his state of undress so to speak, could you ignore it still?

    Maybe you can, maybe you have an iron will and an uncanny ability to reach a zen-like state that few have manage to master but surely you can see why others would not be able? Why a large part of the population, not just people sharing my original view, would not be able to simply ignore this man's pressence. We might be able to look away but that would not stop us from knowing he was there and it wouldn't stop his flaunting of society's conventions from ruining our bustrip.

    If you can think of just one scenario where someone doing something they think is okay but you don't would be impossible for you to look away from and still feel as comfortable as you did before yo briefly noticed that occurance than you have to accept it's a silly thing to suggest. What can and can't be looked away from is just based on personal levels of comfort. I can't really understand people doing something that I am that uncomfortable with it andI bet you can't either (it's just that PDA isn't one of them).

    What constitutes too short is up to personal opinion. I would argue most skirts are too short but that is only because I get cold very quickly (so it's the same argument I use against shorts), no moral judgement involved here. However, I would assume that you Joeltion have no problem with anyone oggling someone in short attire, you might find there justification to be disgusting but surely if you notice someone oggling you and you don't like it you can simply look away and mind your own bussiness. No one is pointing a gun at you. An oggler is neither threatening you nor invading personal space so they should do as they please.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given



    Conformist [kuh n-fawr-mist] – Noun: Not one of us. Mainly used by groups of people who are all using the same way to be different. See also: Irony.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    1/2 O2 + 1 H2 = 1 H2O

    But that's silly. You can't have half a molecule. So it's lowest common multiple time. Double the recipe!

    1 O2 + 2 H2 = 2 H2O
    Actually, the way we do it here, your last step wasn't needed, as the former recipe can be interpreted to be half a mole of O2 + one mole of H2 will give you one mole of H2O
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    My thing that I don't brain: Why does the "insert" key still exist on the keyboard? What's it used for in this day and age? ...I've gone and typed half a sentence over something else.
    I find it very useful in certain database and excel spreadsheet type situations where there is a lots of copy and update with new information as replacements and the like. . . massively lowers my error count.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    My other thing that I don't brain: Some people using terms like 'nerd' or 'geek' as a put-down. ...t's far more seldom that I seem to hear people making fun of people for being too pretty or athletic or what-have-you.
    Spoiler: response
    Show

    Also "nerds" were a lot more socially outcast before the rise of the the personal computer and its subsequent dominance in the entertainment and now social milieus. Thus they had less social capital to push back against being outcast. Further there were fewer extremely high status people who would have been associated with the term "nerd" it was when people like Bill Gates became incredibly rich and public known for his wealth that those "computer nerds" started to look like they may be able to have social status one day. For a similar idea look how quants moved into the finance system and became a major force in a field that was dominated by people who were known for their charisma, salesmanship, etc at most levels of the system....college athletics was actually seen as a huge plus for many companies because it "showed drive and competitive spirit" and probably an ability to BS over a few drinks.

    So while people with nerd traits can get a lot more respect today the insult is part of a throwback to an earlier image of the nerd in society. Kinda like how cheerleaders are still often stereotypes as doing not much except hanging out with football team and being the "plastics" of their high school which may well have applied when the acrobatics teams still existed in the 70's but much less so after.

    and the anti-intellectualism tradition has been waxing and waning in the US for MANY MANY years. It was seen a effete and European vs the manly frontier spirit back in one of its other heydays.


    Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Alright, maybe I should have said why they try to get everyone else to watch it even when they don't want to? More of a why is no not an answer?
    Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    Eh, again there's similar in any fandom. Passion.

    They love the thing, and they think you would too. If you maybe just gave it a chance! No, more of a chance than that! No, I swear you'll like this one! Argh, why don't you like this one??!!?!?
    ....
    There is this, too. Anime isn't a genre in itself, and most people could probably find something they liked if they tried.
    .....
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Well for one thing, there have always been people who enjoy foreign films. Anime is basically just foreign films, but in animated form. And sometimes more of a TV series than a movie, but you get my point.....
    This is not restricted to anime fans. Lots of people tend to push the things they like on others in hopes of finding a new fan they can gush about their passions with. Often times, it has the opposite effect, and makes that person hostile to the thing that they feel is being crammed down their throats. This is why I avoided anime for my teens and early 20's, why one of my friends refuses to ever read A Song of Ice and Fire, and so on.
    And this is where I'd disagree with a bunch of you. Sure there are people who really love opera or modernist classical music (myself) but the odds that they will be of the "no you must like this thing I like" is higher than just about any other obsessive about their hobby topic if that topic is Anime. Huge football fans (both types) generally don't try to get me to watch after I've said no. Heck huge sports fans don't keep trying to see if I like watching Jai Alai, skeet shooting, or field hockey if I don't watch sports. So there is something either about Anime, the kinds of people attracted to it, or the social norms associated with it that makes this behavior MORE COMMON than in many other fields. To some extent comics and manga fans (and the various overlaps between all three) seem rather similar and often come from the same social field so I guessing it is that. But anime/its fandom does have something about it.

    Myself I know why I don't really like it- it has animation and words. . . and I find it really hard to like anything with both. Anime or Western. Doesn't stop people from trying. . . and I find it insulting
    Last edited by sktarq; 2017-09-29 at 08:45 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    San Francisco Bay area
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    ....For that matter, go back 20 years and there wasn't a whole lot of televised media at all that would appeal to fantasy or superhero fans. Sure, there was some televised sci-fi in the 90's like the various Star Treks and Babylon 5, but other than that you had Buffy in the late 90's, and not much else....

    That's actually something I don't get.

    I think there's some superhero stuff being broadcast now, but of other fantasy and science fiction shows being broadcast I know nothing.

    "Back in the day", I could watch Babylon 5, Buffy, Doctor Who (on PBS), and Star Trek.

    Now I can't watch anything like those shows that I know of. If they're being broadcast they're after my bedtime, or on cable which is NOT BROADCASTING (I hate the rise of cable so very much, TV was free dagnabbit! I WILL NEVER PAY FOR CABLE!)..

    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all


    Extended Sig
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan View Post
    ...2d8HPos: the whole world is my lawn and I set it on fire!

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    That's actually something I don't get.

    I think there's some superhero stuff being broadcast now, but of other fantasy and science fiction shows being broadcast I know nothing.

    "Back in the day", I could watch Babylon 5, Buffy, Doctor Who (on PBS), and Star Trek.

    Now I can't watch anything like those shows that I know of. If they're being broadcast they're after my bedtime, or on cable which is NOT BROADCASTING (I hate the rise of cable so very much, TV was free dagnabbit! I WILL NEVER PAY FOR CABLE!)..

    Well I guess that all depends on your definition of "back in the day".

    Anime started gaining western popularity in... the 80s? Late 70s maybe? Star Trek TOS was gone (except reruns). Doctor Who was around, but was definitely an acquired taste back in those days. TNG hadn't come out yet. DS9 and B5 were a decade away, as was Buffy. We were even between BSG series.

    And that covers sci-fi, sure. But fantasy and superhero genres (besides things made for kids, and the occasional movie) have always been harder to find in the west, until recently.

    By the 90s, when the shows you're talking about were on, anime was already a small but growing subculture.

    (With regards to now, there's tons of content, but the concept of broadcast networks is indeed dying. Much of it is on streaming services, without even going to cable first, too. So you're right there. The 90s were a good time for genre TV.)

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    San Francisco Bay area
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    Well I guess that all depends on your definition of "back in the day"...

    ...With regards to now, there's tons of content, but the concept of broadcast networks is indeed dying. Much of it is on streaming services, without even going to cable first, too. So you're right there. The 90s were a good time for genre TV.

    Yeah I was referring to the '90's, but for the record I watched the Star Trek, Doctor Who, Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run, Lost in Space, Wonder Women, Ultraman and The Incredible Hulk live action television shows in the 1970's.

    Also in the '70's I saw the Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets, and Star Blazers Japanese Cartoons (I didn't know the word"anime" back then), plus I had seen Hobbit cartoon television movie, and a bunch of "genre" films probably starting with The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (at a drive-in theatre!) and ending the decade with Star Trek:The Motion Picture

    By the end of the 1980's I did learn the word "anime" and had watched Akira, Galaxy Express, and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind in movies theatres, not on television. I think I may have watched some Robotech in the early 1990's, but the only "anime" I've watched since has been stuff my son chose this last decade.

    The last "genre" show that I can remember seeing broadcast was Extant in 2015, which wasn't very good.

    Judging by the mentions I see about it Doctor Who is still being broadcast in the UK, but if it's still on PBS (like it used to be) it's either after my bedtime, or while I'm at work.
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all


    Extended Sig
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan View Post
    ...2d8HPos: the whole world is my lawn and I set it on fire!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •