New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    There was a pub, about ten minutes' walk down from my office when I was in England, that had a £5 entry in their menu that was a slab of meat with a pineapple ring on top and a few fries.
    I'm guessing that the slab of meat in question was gammon (e.g. very thick ham)? Gammon and pineapple is a British dish, certainly. (And we actually have a whole range of edible stuff these days, you must have been here a long, long time ago if the situation was different for you).

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Huh. I always figured it was pineapple (tropical, indicative of Hawaii) and ham and bacon (indicative of luau) that lent the name. Regardless, I'd wager few Hawaiian pizzas would use Hawaiian pineapples anymore.
    Hawaiian pizza was invented by a greek chap in Canada. He died not long ago. The factoid about pineapple source naming the pizza was mentioned in a few of the obituaries.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm guessing that the slab of meat in question was gammon (e.g. very thick ham)?
    It's been a while, but I think it was just regular beef. Not a prime cut, for that price, of course, but definitely not ham.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    (And we actually have a whole range of edible stuff these days, you must have been here a long, long time ago if the situation was different for you).
    It was a good 12-14 years back, I think. But nah, I was just slyly referring to the stereotype that all British food is just boiled stuff that is terrible

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-06-29 at 11:21 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #693
    Orc in the Playground

England has always had edible things. Problem is, we had a 'cultural cringe' food-wise for about two centuries, which meant few good professional cooks ever really bothered with learning it. Result; the vast majority of food encountered by tourists would be foreign in origin, as few decent restaurants would serve 'English food'. Said cringe expanded to our middle classes; I would guess the nadir was the 1990s, when a statement 'I like English food' would paint the speaker as some dull, insular provincial.

Part of the improvement in 'English cuisine' has been since then, with more professional cooks - always looking for 'new' things to introduce to the public - 'discovered' traditional foods which by that point were only properly still cooked by a few old people.
    My online 'cabinet of curios'; a collection of seemingly random thoughts, experiences, stories and investigations: https://talesfromtheminority.wordpress.com/

'This is my truth, tell me yours.' - Nye Bevan

4. - Top - End - #694
    Barbarian in the Playground

Why do people park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?

5. - Top - End - #695
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    Why do people park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?
    Because both words predate cars. Driveways were paths alongside barns that were for driving carriages on, and parkways were scenic, landscaped paths.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Because both words predate cars. Driveways were paths alongside barns that were for driving carriages on, and parkways were scenic, landscaped paths.
    The "park" was a land classification then?

7. - Top - End - #697

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It's been a while, but I think it was just regular beef. Not a prime cut, for that price, of course, but definitely not ham.
    I've encountered Hawaiian schnitzel (as distinct from wienerschintzel, which has a lemon, nchovy and caper ontop) which is the same thing just with an ananas (pineapple) ring on top.

Schinitzle out of a porkcut is usually very cheap too.

9. - Top - End - #699

Actually, the anchovy is a bit of a debate with the Wiener Schnitzel. THese days, lemon and parsley is more common in most restaurants.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Actually, the anchovy is a bit of a debate with the Wiener Schnitzel. THese days, lemon and parsley is more common in most restaurants.
    Weel, it's not like it's an exact recepie. Local "traditions" will impact.

There's a Florida schnitzel with peach and bearnaise sauce. A Holstein schnitzel substituting an egg for the lemon. Hunter's schnitzel with mushrooms sauce. Swiss schnitzel stuffed with ham and Emmentaler cheese. All of which I suspect were more based on stereotypical ideas thna anything else.

Besides noboy likes anchovy anyway right? We used to pick that off the dishes whenver served in school. Even most lunch places will only add it if asked or just generally don't bother with.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Besides noboy likes anchovy anyway right? We used to pick that off the dishes whenver served in school. Even most lunch places will only add it if asked or just generally don't bother with.
    On the contrary. I absolutely adore anchovies. Back in my student days, for a Friday treat, I'd buy a cheap frozen Margherita pizza and garnish it by adding a few anchovies to it. Anchovies can cover for a multitude of sins.

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

12. - Top - End - #702

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Weel, it's not like it's an exact recepie. Local "traditions" will impact.

There's a Florida schnitzel with peach and bearnaise sauce. A Holstein schnitzel substituting an egg for the lemon. Hunter's schnitzel with mushrooms sauce. Swiss schnitzel stuffed with ham and Emmentaler cheese. All of which I suspect were more based on stereotypical ideas thna anything else.

Woah, woah woah. If you stuff it, it's not a Schnitzel, it's a Cordon Bleu. Also, French, not Swiss. A Swiss Schnitzel is in cream sauce. Also, I love anchovies. I eat them straight from the jar for breakfast, occasionally.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #703

I got an anchovy pizza once to try it. One if they most foul concotions I've ever had. Then a few years later I met my now-wife, whos mother uses dried anchovy in a few dishes like fishcake, and also as a snack. I love them like that. Don't know how that pizza came out so bad.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Confrontational fans of literally anything. I enjoy stuff, and explain why I like stuff, but getting angry about recreation is weird to me.

15. - Top - End - #705

Quote Originally Posted by NAdamV423 View Post
    Confrontational fans of literally anything. I enjoy stuff, and explain why I like stuff, but getting angry about recreation is weird to me.
    You say you enjoy stuff? A likely story. Name me at least 15 stuffs you enjoy, including three from an obscure subculture in the '50s.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Also, every new stuff has to be the best stuff ever, or it's terrible and the worst stuff ever!
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NAdamV423 View Post

Don't be down on yourself, it just takes practice.

But.stop dawdling and hurry up and get to it!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

18. - Top - End - #708
    Orc in the Playground

Is it just me or in the last 2-3 years have people stopped being worried of being knocked over by cars?

I started noticing recently that people wouldn't stop when a car was, for example, reversing out of a parking spot in a crowded car park. If there's a lot going on it's easy enough to miss someone walking past, and hit them. Surely it's self preservation as well as polite to give drivers plenty of room to maneuvre?

Is it an inevitable consequence of urban overcrowding, are people less considerate of others, or did I just pass the EU mandated age for grumpy old man-ness?

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinewmire View Post
    Is it just me or in the last 2-3 years have people stopped being worried of being knocked over by cars?

I started noticing recently that people wouldn't stop when a car was, for example, reversing out of a parking spot in a crowded car park. If there's a lot going on it's easy enough to miss someone walking past, and hit them. Surely it's self preservation as well as polite to give drivers plenty of room to maneuvre?

Is it an inevitable consequence of urban overcrowding, are people less considerate of others, or did I just pass the EU mandated age for grumpy old man-ness?
    You probably have (check if your home has suddenly grown a yard and what your feelings about children playing in it are to be sure), but the root cause is that pedestrian deaths due to vehicular impact are down, so we are becoming overconfident. In the EU, especially, stricter and more enforced speed limits, coupled with a renewed appreciation for pedestrian-only in-city areas are the likely cause in the reduction, with a bit of better cars thrown in for good measure. A welcome development, although getting blasé about it might be a bit premature, I'll grant you.

Grey Wolf

20. - Top - End - #710
    Orc in the Playground

I suspect it's not just that. In Europe, average ages have been creeping up for decades, and many nations are now at the stage where we have more over 65's than under 18's. [More grumpy old drivers, less children to run over]. I'm not that old, but less kids play out in/near the streets than I was that age, so a lower risk of hitting them too. Pedestrians have also become a bit more blasé about traffic / other people too, and while I hate to point a finger at an oft-cited 'enemy' to apparently everything... I suspect smartphones/headphones may have something to do with this. [If you're watching a screen, you're not watching your surroundings. QED.]
    My online 'cabinet of curios'; a collection of seemingly random thoughts, experiences, stories and investigations: https://talesfromtheminority.wordpress.com/

'This is my truth, tell me yours.' - Nye Bevan

21. - Top - End - #711
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

I will definitely use your information. Thank you.

22. - Top - End - #712

I watch a video on youtube and like most videos there was an ad at the start of it. It was these people playing I guess soccer (or football for non-Americans) but they were in these large bubble things that covered their torsos and head. Anyone know what sport that is or if it's a variation on soccer or what the deal with it is?

Also how is the word "Sarabande" pronounced? It's a piece of classical music I like, but I've only ever encountered the word written, and cannot seem to find a proper pronunciation of it. I'd just like to know I'm saying it right so I do not sound like an idiot.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

I watch a video on youtube and like most videos there was an ad at the start of it. It was these people playing I guess soccer (or football for non-Americans) but they were in these large bubble things that covered their torsos and head. Anyone know what sport that is or if it's a variation on soccer or what the deal with it is?
    I'm guessing bubble football.

Also how is the word "Sarabande" pronounced? It's a piece of classical music I like, but I've only ever encountered the word written, and cannot seem to find a proper pronunciation of it. I'd just like to know I'm saying it right so I do not sound like an idiot.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sarabande+dance+pronunciation

GW

24. - Top - End - #714

Why do old timey cartoon characters wear glove? Was it a conspiracy by the glove companies to sell gloves to children or is that literally the stupidest explanation I could think of? I just want to know why they wear gloves.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ettin in the Playground

Why do old timey cartoon characters wear glove? Was it a conspiracy by the glove companies to sell gloves to children or is that literally the stupidest explanation I could think of? I just want to know why they wear gloves.
    Gloves are easier to draw than fingers.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Look at a lot of older characters, and chances are, unless it's Betty Boop, the body and limbs are black. Trying to figure out what the hands/feet are doing unless they are white would be quite confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

27. - Top - End - #717

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    It wasn't because people back then were more conservative and modest and they thought seeing the naked human hand was indecent exposure?

I want to see some hot pinky action!
    -Some pervert from olden times maybe*

*I am not a historian

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

It is a little known fact that anchovies are actually concentrated bitterness spawned by Ahriman to sow discord and sorrow on Earth.

I just don't undersatnd why people care about celebrities' personnal life. I mean this persons sings very well (or whatever), allright. Why are so interested in where they spend their vacations?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is wrong for people to care (though that must get tiring really fast for celebrity) but I simply don't get the appeal.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

29. - Top - End - #719

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I just don't undersatnd why people care about celebrities' personnal life. I mean this persons sings very well (or whatever), allright. Why are so interested in where they spend their vacations?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is wrong for people to care (though that must get tiring really fast for celebrity) but I simply don't get the appeal.
    I think some people (not all, I want to note, just some fraction of them) have lives so boring* that they live vicariously through celebrities. Or celebrities add excitement to their lives. The same people who obsessively watch Maury or Jerry Springer, I think.

Also, relevant to nothing, Jerry Springer's life did not at all turn out the way he wanted.

*By choice. Like refusing to spend free time productively with hobbies or interests, refusing to ever learn new things or skills, etc.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-07-07 at 06:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It is a little known fact that anchovies are actually concentrated bitterness spawned by Ahriman to sow discord and sorrow on Earth.

What's the matter with anchovies? Good fish, when you know how to prepare and use them.

I fear your other question is rooted in projection. Basically, we're told over and over again how to lead an fulfilling life, which is plain impossible for most of us, so some people tend to "adopt" a celebrity as a surrogate and project their wished on them. Dunno, not my cup of tea.