New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

biggrin Happy 14th Birthday, OotS!

Can you believe they've now been around for 14 years! (And poor Kasumi's been pregnant for what, 7 years now?)

Thanks, Giant!
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-09-29 at 07:44 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Happy 14th Birthday, OotS!

Happy birthday!
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

3. - Top - End - #3

Flumph

I believe I started reading around the 10th anniversary. Time does fly...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I probably started reading it around 2005. I've been wondering... I've been probably opening this page for like, 12 years. How will it be once the last strip of the last book is out?

What will I do out of my life???

Congratulations OOTS!

5. - Top - End - #5

Keep coming here to partake in the community. I'm sure we'll still be arguing stuff from book one on.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Wow, I think I started reading around the end of DStP(give or take, I think V and O'Chul were about to throw Xykon's phylactery). It's been a lot of fun being around for the entirety of BRitF, and this book as well.

Keep on being awesome, OotS!
    The not-so-secret identity of Nat1Advice.
    I also write more serious 5e content on my blog, TBM Games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I started reading this in eighth grade. Now I’m a college grad. By sometime next year, I’ll have been reading this strip regularly for half my life.

Crazy stuff, man. Crazy stuff.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Wow, for me it’s only been about 4 years, but it feels like it’s been with me forever. Happy Birthday!

Peelee’s Lotsey

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well I never realised Oots was created on my birthday, while I only received it just over a decade later this is still one of the best birthday things I have received.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

amused Re: Happy 14th Birthday, OotS!

Wow, hard to believe the new art style started 3 1/2 years ago, in #947. Doesn't seem so long ago. The one where Belkar was fighting frost giants and Haley dubbed him "Doomsealer" was a year ago today. Crazy to think of 14 years ago. I didn't start following until 2009, I think. After the Battle of Bluetown. I spent two happy days reading the crap out of the archives. OOTS was the first real webcomic I ever read, all the others were junk IMO.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    Well I never realised Oots was created on my birthday, while I only received it just over a decade later this is still one of the best birthday things I have received.
    It's on my birthday, too!

12. - Top - End - #12

Wow. Ok. So I've always known I've been reading since fairly early on, but didn't have any way to really nail down how early. But given that I'm pretty certain I started reading OOTS while I still lived in Taiwan and I only lived in Taiwan for a little over 2 months past when OOTS started publishing, it must have been pretty close to the beginning, indeed.

May there be many (more) happy returns of the day!
    Last edited by pearl jam; 2017-10-05 at 12:01 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel very new, only been following for a few months. Loving every page tbh, considering going back and rereading. This has replaced critical role for the most part for me, I just don't have that kind of time, this works much better.
    The moon sees nothing of this. She is bald and wild.
    And the message of the yew tree is blackness - blackness and silence.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel as if I had just advanced 2 Age Categories....dang, there goes my gym-built-strength, if I only had been as smart before....

Thank you for (in my case) 9.x great Years!
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2017-10-06 at 10:43 AM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Sometimes I wish for a memory erasure so I may read OotS anew.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It was around 2009 for me when I first found this comic :)

I remember reading a TvTropes entry in which an OoTS strip was featured (Might have been the one about lampshading) and got curious about its source. Then I went to a Wikipedia page, from which I followed a link to the actual comic, and then totally got hooked from there. Went all the way from the first strip to one somewhere in the middle of the 4th book, Don't Split The Party. I remember waiting through the hiatus between book 4th and 5th, and afterwards I dropped the comic for a while before picking it up again, but not too long before Sir Thumb's combat with The Glasswin Doe.

It wasn't until late 2010 did I make an account in this fourm. Back then, the jokes, puns, and occasional play on DnD rules were enough for much of the giggles even for someone who had never played DnD like me, but there were some of the US pop culture references that I could understand only after reading the forum.

And what d'you know, it's been 7 years already. Still checking the comic everyday, yo!
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Sometimes I wish for a memory erasure so I may read OotS anew.
    Heh, at my age, memory degradation usually suffices to make some old things new ... but not my back. :(

Uh, where's V in this picture? Invisible again?
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-10-13 at 12:42 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post

In a bed. With Durkon.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Heh, at my age, memory degradation usually suffices to make some old things new ... but not my back. :(

Somebody has to be taking the picture.

20. - Top - End - #20

I'm feeling old.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

The future ain't what it used to be. I think I remember a time when there wasn't a Erfworld link... and that goblin was going to knock us all down but we jus' felt really... stable!
    Proud member of the Vaarsuvius Fan Club.
    -Hey, V, how much do you know about spirits?
    -In order for one to enjoyably consume Aged Dwarven Brandy, possession of two livers is a necessity.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

*deep shudder*

....I THINK I started reading the comic after discovering it mentioned endlessly on TV Tropes, and after I started talking on email to a fellow member and fanfic writer in the Oblivion fandom and they specifically recommended it to me. I was sixteen.

I'm turning twenty-six next month and am a grad student...

Also, novel-length arguments with people on this forum (usually about Vaarsuvius...) literally got me interested in rhetoric and essay-writing when nothing else at the time could, to the point where my grades in several essay-based school classes skyrocketed. Let it never be said that proving that Someone is Wrong on the Internet is a waste of time!!

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    In a bed. With Durkon.
    1) Twisted minds think alike, and 2) so I wonder what anniversary the Cracked Pairings thread would be celebrating if it was still around
    Last edited by Kaytara; 2017-10-20 at 04:36 PM.
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I honestly wouldn't have guessed that a tossed out link to a webcomic from someone who I RP'd what was basically 8-bit theater fanfiction with would lead me to a community I would be a part of for over a decade but wow do I love the internet.

This comic means a whole lot to me, and has been with me through some pretty bad times. Im definitely a better person for reading and continuing to read Oots, and I cannot wait to see what's to come

Here's to another 14 years
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

24. - Top - End - #24

BlackDragon

I can't believe this comic is 14 years old already. I think I started reading when it was around strip 125 (13 years ago or so), and joined the forum later on to occasionally participate in some of the inanity. Since I've been reading OOTS, I completed my undergraduate degree, graduated from law school, became a lawyer, got a job, adopted a cat, and yet over the past 13 years, I still visit the site regularly in the hopes of seeing a new comic. Some things don't change I guess. :D (And man, Erfworld's been around for 11 years now). I feel old. :)
    Last edited by Theodoriph; 2017-10-20 at 10:09 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Well, you needn't feel that old. I mean, it's not like Sluggy Freelance is twenty now or Irregular Webcomic hits fifteen at the end of the year or anything. YAFGC is only 11, Darths and Droids just turned ten, Girl Genius will be fifteen two weeks from tomorrow...

Okay, we're old. Meet you at Denny's for the Senior Special?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

I first came to this board by following a link from someone saying "use minions".

The link was to the strip where Xykon use hobgobelins to feed a dragon/monster.

I was interested at the time by the art, but thought it was a random comic strip page as I have had read in other and was not very interested in random puns.

Then some time later, I discovered TVtropes and found a page entry related to "the order of the stick", which promoted an interesting and smart author work. (I believe it was something about Rich planning years ahead things to happen).

Googled it, started reading from 1.

It was around 2011 I believe (start or middle of the book 5 IIRC - my perception of time is not good).
    At work, I have read at least 10 times the full comic pages.

I bought all of the books (1-5 + SoD) from the amazon.com which costed a lot in shipping costs. Now each day, I open this page, hoping for an update.

I think Rich is one of my favorite authors. He does what I like and I like what he does.

There are more comics on the web, but none I think are briliant like this one.

Sadly, none of my roleplaying friends knows it, and when I mention it, they seem to be stuck by the "art style", which is quite a closed-mindset. The art is simple, but that is not to say it is bad. It is quite the opposite. Using simple art to pass complex messages is I think, harder than the opposite.

Keep going on, and I will buy each book which follow (and from what I have understood, there will be only 2 even if they are doorsteppers... which I'm fine with!)

But please do not die before finishing :D.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordSith View Post
    Keep going on, and I will buy each book which follow (and from what I have understood, there will be only 2 even if they are doorsteppers... which I'm fine with!)

But please do not die before finishing :D.
    Is this a ASOIAF thread ?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I have no idea how I got here. Someone on some forum linked to #754
    in a joke about how the Laws of Physics needed to cry in the corner, so I started not long after that was released. However, where I was when I got that link is forever gone from my memory.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Wow, hard to believe the new art style started 3 1/2 years ago, in #947. Doesn't seem so long ago. The one where Belkar was fighting frost giants and Haley dubbed him "Doomsealer" was a year ago today. Crazy to think of 14 years ago. I didn't start following until 2009, I think. After the Battle of Bluetown. I spent two happy days reading the crap out of the archives. OOTS was the first real webcomic I ever read, all the others were junk IMO.
    They were fighting the Frost Giants a A YEAR AGO!?!

No. That can't be right. That was like last month.

Edit: I've been here since 2007?!? And I was reading for like two years before I made an account! I really had no idea it'd been that long....but when I think back, I discovered this comic on a library computer at the beginning of college when I was bored and checking out TV Tropes. And that has to have been about 12 years ago. Time gets weird when you grow up.
    Last edited by Narren; 2017-10-31 at 07:24 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Wait until you start getting old.