New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Dual natured and Astral Projection

Can a being who is dual natured, say a shapeshifter, do Astral Projection? I vaguely recall that they can't, but I'm not very confidant in this at all.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Dual natured and Astral Projection

If they are trained to, I believe they can, but they do not astrally project by nature.

So, a shapeshifter shaman is always astrally perceiving (and naturally perceiving). However, they can choose to astrally project, allowing such things as metaplanar travel, in addition to usual form of astral projection.

This may also vary by edition... things that were common in earlier editions disappear in later ones.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

In 2E, if they are magicians (either shamans, mages, druids, or astral adepts - or dragons), then yes, they can. If not, then no, they can't.

Edit: ninja'd. Or Street Samurai'd?
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-09-29 at 12:54 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ugh, can't believe I forgot. This is for 4th ed. Lacking a more solid quoting, I'll go with the earlier reference.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Mark Hall hit the nail on the head. From 4e Runner's Companion: "Drakes are Awakened beings, but not magicians. The drake’s innate abilities and powers only function in drake form. But, as dual natured beings in their dracoform, drakes may learn Assensing and Astral Combat. They cannot, however, learn or use any other Magic Skills, astrally project, initiate, or bond foci unless they also take an appropriate quality such as Adept, Astral Sight, Latent Awakening, Magician, or Mystic Adept at character creation."

The same phrasing is used for dual-natured Infected (except "gaki", page 79 sidebar, who can all astrally project!), shifters and mixed sapients.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2017-10-01 at 12:07 AM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list