New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Xanathar's Guide - Official Videos describing Confirmed Subclasses

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Mearls: "I like designing unique mechanics, so this is the Arcane Archer's thing, nobody else gets it."

HOW MANY THINGS HAVE YOU GIVEN VERSIONS OF THE BATTLEMASTER MANEUVERS & SUPERIORITY DICE, MIKE?! HOW MANY?!
    I think JC said in the cavalier video (samurai maybe?) that no one liked that practice and so they are finally going to stop.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Mearls: "I like designing unique mechanics, so this is the Arcane Archer's thing, nobody else gets it."

HOW MANY THINGS HAVE YOU GIVEN VERSIONS OF THE BATTLEMASTER MANEUVERS & SUPERIORITY DICE, MIKE?! HOW MANY?!
    This is presumably why they're dropping those maneuvers from the Cavalier.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Lee View Post
    This is presumably why they're dropping those maneuvers from the Cavalier.
    It's exactly why they dropped them from the Cavalier.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound438 View Post
    I think JC said in the cavalier video (samurai maybe?) that no one liked that practice and so they are finally going to stop.
    Spell-less Ranger (In fairness, designed by Rodney Thompson, not MM)
    Fighter: Scout
    Fighter: Monster Slayer
    Fighter: Cavalier (multiple versions, I believe!)

That's just what I can recall off the top of my head.

It was just such... a lazy crutch.

I'm glad it's finally gone.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spell-less Ranger (In fairness, designed by Rodney Thompson, not MM)
    Fighter: Scout
    Fighter: Monster Slayer
    Fighter: Cavalier (multiple versions, I believe!)

That's just what I can recall off the top of my head.

It was just such... a lazy crutch.

I'm glad it's finally gone.
    I'm right there with you. Sup Dice are the Battle Master's thing. I'm glad they stopped handing it out to every new Fighter. It'd be like handing out the Champion's expanded crit range to a Warlock at 1st-level...oh, wait.

DISCLAIMER: I do love the Hexblade as a patron option, as I'm sure everyone's noticed, but that one aspect bothers me a lot. And Hexblade's Curse should totally apply only to melee weapon attacks.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Unfortunate, because I feel like "Magical fighting class without just giving them spellcasting" is something that should be expanded. I think you could build a really cool class on that.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rbstr View Post
    Unfortunate, because I feel like "Magical fighting class without just giving them spellcasting" is something that should be expanded. I think you could build a really cool class on that.
    The Arcane Archer is a great start toward that.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by rbstr View Post
    I...may or may not be working on this exact thing right now

9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DracoKnight View Post

DISCLAIMER: I do love the Hexblade as a patron option, as I'm sure everyone's noticed, but that one aspect bothers me a lot. And Hexblade's Curse should totally apply only to melee weapon attacks.
    Let's not take away my Hexbow options. Reduce it to weapon attacks.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis_Elrod View Post
    Fair enough.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Valid point, I guess.

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by DracoKnight View Post
    Valid point, I guess.
    I have no problem with this. Makes perfect sense to me

Edit: seems so obvious I feel a bit daft for not doing this to the rules before I let the table’s warlock run with them.

Ah well
    Last edited by Spiritchaser; 2017-10-06 at 12:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritchaser View Post
    I have no problem with this. Makes perfect sense to me

Edit: seems so obvious I feel a bit daft for not doing this to the rules before I let the table’s warlock run with them.

Ah well
    Currently one of my favorite builds 12 levels of HexBow and then 8 levels into whatever kind of archer (rogue/ranger/arcane archer etc)

14. - Top - End - #224

Currently one of my favorite builds 12 levels of HexBow and then 8 levels into whatever kind of archer (rogue/ranger/arcane archer etc)
    I have a STR>CHA>CON GWM F1/ hexblade bladelock at my table who loves the versatility. His eldritch blast does not need to be as powerful it could become. Right now it’s not a huge deal as his CHA could be higher, but that’ll change soon. This is a change I need to seriously consider making.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

I am both happy and disappointed.

I like the idea of a gish who knows how to put temporary enchantments on the equipment they use, as distinct from one who juggles between spellcasting and martial stuff.

But that should cover all armors and weapons, not just ammunition. Especially when spellcasting is mostly a ranged business already.

My fear is that the arcane archer, the forge cleric and the artificer will all come close but no cigar.

Edit: Another hope would be a half-psionicist.
    Last edited by Millstone85; 2017-10-06 at 01:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

He said the team thought people would be interested in seeing this mechanic expanded, and that they'll drop it due to negative feedback.

IMO the superiority dice were fine to share, but the manoeuvres would have needed to be nearly 100% different each time.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    He said the team thought people would be interested in seeing this mechanic expanded, and that they'll drop it due to negative feedback.

IMO the superiority dice were fine to share, but the manoeuvres would have needed to be nearly 100% different each time.
    Yeah, I don't mind the idea of superiority dice being the Fighter class thing, even though the other PHB subclasses didn't have them, but each of the classes would need different things to do with them, kinda like how fighters, rangers, and paladins all have slightly different versions of Fighting Style.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Temperjoke View Post
    Yeah, I don't mind the idea of superiority dice being the Fighter class thing, even though the other PHB subclasses didn't have them, but each of the classes would need different things to do with them, kinda like how fighters, rangers, and paladins all have slightly different versions of Fighting Style.
    I thought there was room for a superiority-dice style rogue that focuses on dirty fighting, with different manoeuvres to blind, hamstring and the like. I had toyed with the idea while building a homebrew Rogue subclass based on the old Yakusa class from 1E, but eventually abandoned it for the same reason the others don't work: I want to steal trip attack and feint and half of the battle master moves. And then it feels too similar.
    Part-time DM, part-time player in 5e. I aim to be reasonable.
    Homebrews on the stove (5e):

Wizard School: Black Magic
    Druid Circle of the Many
    Druid Circle of the Silver Moon
    Bard College of the Chord

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

It is too late for that sort of design, but I wouldn't have minded if the PHB had got a whole chapter on martial maneuvers just like there is one on magic spells, and all martial and/or magic subclasses would have referenced those.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Do we have any idea of the mechanics somewhere?

All I see on the videos are flavor talk and some core notion of how the subclass should work. Like cavalier locking foes.

For the cavalier, for example, I was expecting an active form of tanking, that wasn't dodge. Something like, "raise shields" and you get temp HP for a round. And while you're in that stance you can make some unique reactions and perhaps even increase your threatening area.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Nicollo Corleone - The Scoundrel Malconvoker

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Minaerva - The Wild Caller from Rokiri Island.

Requiem Macabre Doc

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Dudu View Post
    Do we have any idea of the mechanics somewhere?

All I see on the videos are flavor talk and some core notion of how the subclass should work. Like cavalier locking foes.

For the cavalier, for example, I was expecting an active form of tanking, that wasn't dodge. Something like, "raise shields" and you get temp HP for a round. And while you're in that stance you can make some unique reactions and perhaps even increase your threatening area.
    Nah, these releases are basically teaser trailers, they won't release real details because they want people to buy the book that's coming out. But these classes were in UA articles, so you can cross reference the videos with the UA articles to get a sense of it. But no concrete details.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ugghh....

They should have made superiority dice a main component of the Fighter and not a niche of one subclass. What a failed opportunity. I liked the superiority dice on the Scout. Especially because they gave it extra uses for it that the Battlemaster didn't have.

Every class and its little brother gets spell slots. But God forbid you give superiority dice to anything but the Battlemaster

My desire for this book drops further and further. Of the confirmed subclasses so far the only one I actually like is the Forge Cleric. The rest look like left overs.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Some of the links in the OP are now redundant.
    The playlist doesn't get updated as soon as the video is released, but it does get updated.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    It is too late for that sort of design, but I wouldn't have minded if the PHB had got a whole chapter on martial maneuvers just like there is one on magic spells, and all martial and/or magic subclasses would have referenced those.
    I agree. I'm glad the cavalier had superiority dice removed, because I feel like they weren't handled in an interesting way. But I think it would have worked if at least Fighters had martial maneuvers as a core class concept, so that each subclass using didn't have to have half it's features dedicated to just added superiority dice to the class.

D&D Next playtest actually had 'Martial Dice' and lists of martial maneuvers by class that were much like spell lists - it seemed like a good way to be similar to 4E's "everyone has special abilities" without making martials and spellcasters play the same. I wish they had kept that for all classes, it would have been great. It also probably would have made the original half-caster Bard work better, Martial Dice could have been combined with their Inspiration Dice for more flexibility.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    I agree. I'm glad the cavalier had superiority dice removed, because I feel like they weren't handled in an interesting way. But I think it would have worked if at least Fighters had martial maneuvers as a core class concept, so that each subclass using didn't have to have half it's features dedicated to just added superiority dice to the class.

D&D Next playtest actually had 'Martial Dice' and lists of martial maneuvers by class that were much like spell lists - it seemed like a good way to be similar to 4E's "everyone has special abilities" without making martials and spellcasters play the same. I wish they had kept that for all classes, it would have been great. It also probably would have made the original half-caster Bard work better, Martial Dice could have been combined with their Inspiration Dice for more flexibility.
    Consistency of design is definitely not a 5e strong point. My impression is they tried too hard to make it like 3.5e and not like 4e without fully understanding what people did and didn't like about each. Overall, WotC did well with 5e. But it's hard not to get a just a little dismayed thinking about what could have been.

Off topic, but rogues have this even more than fighters do. The base class doesn't add a single consumable feature until level 20.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Eh, the Fighter is good as it is. It seems a lot of people really don't like the Superiority Dice outside of the Battlemaster, for some reasons, though.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, the Fighter is good as it is. It seems a lot of people really don't like the Superiority Dice outside of the Battlemaster, for some reasons, though.
    To use it as often as they have for previous UAs, it seemed to me like it was becoming a lazy design crutch. That’s my criticism of it. Battlemaster is fine. I just wish the archetypes they tried the Superiority Dice on got something more unique.

Ah, what could’ve been.

28. - Top - End - #238

To use it as often as they have for previous UAs, it seemed to me like it was becoming a lazy design crutch. That’s my criticism of it. Battlemaster is fine. I just wish the archetypes they tried the Superiority Dice on got something more unique.
    That's pretty much it. You'd get this archetype full of battlemaster maneuvers and instantly start wondering either "Is this better at its stated goal than just playing a battlemaster" or "why didn't they just give these maneuvers to the battlemaster.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I think that's only because of the way it's handled. That it ended up being Battlemaster-exclusive in the PHB makes it awkward to put to other subclasses while still having room for unique mechanics. Superiority dice eats up a lot of subclass 'budget', so to speak.

I do think the Fighter is good as it is, just that having dice as a core feature would work best for subclasses that used it. I'm fine with current Fighter with just Battlemaster, or a hypothetical Fighter with superiority dice as a core and multiple subclasses using that resource.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

For some reason I thought the Shadow Sorcerer wouldn't make it. A pleasant surprise.
    Now looking forward to the Hexblade.