New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Days of Our Inhumans

I'm trying very hard to give this show a chance.

But we have the villain wanting to get rid of the caste system while he fights the "genetic council", and at the same time the protagonists are mostly spoiled privileged people.

Yes, I guess later they will learn the error of their ways, but so far in the ideological front I'm siding with the villain despite every attempt of the show to paint him evil.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, it does seem the show is slowly starting to--if you'll pardon the phrase--'humanize' the main cast. Whether they'll succeed at that or not remains to be seen.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I’ve missed the last two episodes. I hear it is improving slightly, but the ratings are starting to tank.

Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    I feel like Black Bolt not being able to talk and being a major character is going to get old fast. I know it is comic accurate, but I also know he exists in a world with power inhibitors that could be used to control his power. I mean the Inhumans have that fancy communication tech, force field tech, cloaking for a whole city, and they never thought to invent something to suppress the powers of individuals who can't control their powers or suppress the powers of criminals? Again, I get it, comics don't do logic well. This show isn't and doesn't have to be 100% faithful to the comics though. Maybe they could play it up and Black Bolt isn't comfortable trusting the inhibitor to work so he only uses it to speak when it is vital or something. I don't know, at the very least they could give him subtitles when he uses sign language so all of us that don't know sign language can understand. There will be times when Medusa isn't there to translate or there is no reason for her to repeat what he said.
    Well, in a comic, you could at least read the thought bubbles or what have you, so you’d at least know what he was thinking. This ain’t possible in a TV format.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-10-15 at 08:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post

But we have the villain wanting to get rid of the caste system while he fights the "genetic council", and at the same time the protagonists are mostly spoiled privileged people.

Yes, I guess later they will learn the error of their ways, but so far in the ideological front I'm siding with the villain despite every attempt of the show to paint him evil.
    Well, that's what happened when you get rid of Maximus' craziness (might convince the council that their genepool is giving crazies), previous attempts (he killed Black Bolt's parents, aka also his), and such.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Is anyone still watching this?

I caught a couple minutes of the last episode, which looked like a bad fan video shot in the local park, complete with a knockoff Deadpool whose costume would be laughed off a high school stage. The acting, if you can call it that, wasn’t much better.

Gah. Couldn’t change channels fast enough.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

I've pretty much dumped the show in favor if Gifted.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

In response to Perlmutter's insistence of giving them spotlight that didn't bode well along with the disaster of a show.
    Spoiler: Somethat that Marvel should learn, a comparison
    Show

I mean compared getting "enslaved" under a benevolent alien empire is better compared to a caste system that will also be based on not getting chances of turning into blob.
    And also you know who gas people without their consent (like Inhuman Mutant debacle)? Imperium does and Games Worshop are not under illusion that it is a good thing.
    Also "unjustly", depending if you view selling superior product that actually teach people other than praying to it.
    Last edited by t209; 2017-10-22 at 08:44 PM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

There are so many Marvel shows right now and I've fallen so far behind. I've seen both seasons of Daredevil, one season of Jessica Jones (is the 2nd season out yet?), and maybe half a season of Agents of Shield. I haven't seen Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders, Agent Carter, Powers, Legion, Inhumans, or The Gifted. And now we've got The Punisher, Runaways, and Cloak & Dagger on the way! And that's not even getting into the DC shows. There's just way too many superheroes on TV right now.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    There are so many Marvel shows right now and I've fallen so far behind. I've seen both seasons of Daredevil, one season of Jessica Jones (is the 2nd season out yet?), and maybe half a season of Agents of Shield. I haven't seen Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders, Agent Carter, Powers, Legion, Inhumans, or The Gifted. And now we've got The Punisher, Runaways, and Cloak & Dagger on the way! And that's not even getting into the DC shows. There's just way too many superheroes on TV right now.
    Powers was a DC project and probably the only one of these more panned than Inhumans. Season 2 of JJ is set for 2018.

Of the ones you mentioned, Legion is the best, but it's also the least like a superhero show. Gifted is worth watching and there aren't many episodes to get you caught up.

Defenders kind of acts like the next season for its cast, so you'll want to watch Luke Cage before moving forward on that one. Iron Fist can be skipped. Agents of Shield gets a lot better. Season 2 and especially 4 stand out, but there are a lot episodes, so it's a big time investment. Agent Carter is fun and has a good message. Season 1 is better than season 2. It doesn't really have much bearing on the MCU, so it's not a must see, but it's quite solid.

And yeah, there really is a lot out there.
    Playing Pokemon Y

Friend Code: 4914-4022-6171

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I still am. I want to see where they go with this whole 'good guys are stuck up slavers but the bad guy wants freedom for all' thing. I somehow doubt it will last more than a season, anyway, and it's something to do until SHIELD is back on the air.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Still watching the show, but I find it hard to comment it.
    I understand that it was originally planned to be a movie and not a series, and it makes sense.
    seeing the development from king in a caste system to a more understanding ruler after learning a lesson is possible in the big screen, but harder when you have an entire week between episodes with no one to side with.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    I recommend watching Legion and Luke Cage, In my opinion they are the best in the list.
    Defenders was okay, but I still recommend watching Iron Fist before the defenders since they share the same villains. (And honestly, I don't think Iron Fist was that bad. It was the worst of the four heroes, but still better than most other superheroes in the current market)
    Didn't really like Agent Carter, the main idea got old after a few episodes, but I guess it was still an okay series.
    Gifted looks fine so far, but as a standard X-Men plot. So I recommend watching the more unique ones first.
    Agents of Shield, I think I watch it more from inertia than anything else.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Fawkes
    There are so many Marvel shows right now and I've fallen so far behind.
    I’m barely aware of half of these. I don’t watch anything on Netflix, and I don’t feel that I’m missing much.

Originally Posted by random11
    Agents of Shield, I think I watch it more from inertia than anything else.
    Sadly, that’s where I am too. After Bobbi and Hunter left, a touch of joy went out of the show. The whole evil-duplicate/alternate-world thing got a little old, and I’m not sure if “Agents in Spaaaaaaace” will revive my interest.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

That’s the thing about the show, they want you to side with the villain’s ideology. Maximus has one main political message: “get rid of the caste system” and the caste system is indefensible.

The caste system is based on Inhuman transformation, which is depicted as random, cruel, and potentially responsible for the entire political mess unfolding.

Then the royal family seems not only blind to the problem, but entitled and lacking empathy.

What’s odd about this message is there is such a lack of nuance, if Black Bolt cares about the problem he hasn’t shown he is willing to do anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post

I caught a couple minutes of the last episode, which looked like a bad fan video shot in the local park, complete with a knockoff Deadpool whose costume would be laughed off a high school stage. The acting, if you can call it that, wasn’t much better.

Gah. Couldn’t change channels fast enough.
    I'm still watching it because my wife loves anything with super powers. My major problem with the entire series if that the writing is so poor. It feels very lazy, very hackneyed, and it's difficult to latch onto anything that's particularly enjoyable about the show outside of Hawaii being a gorgeous place.

Spoiler: My last straws
    Show

My major issue is the writing stinks and seems to repeat. Karnak needs to loosen up, so he gets pulled into the ocean by human lady. The sister needs to loosen up, so she gets pulled into the ocean by human dude. Human lady gets shot to raise the stakes; she also randomly leaves at the end, for reasons. Locus gets shot to raise the stakes (and there's zero reason she needed to be shot outside of making sure it's difficult for them to find Crystal and to beat into the Royals that they're jerks).

Maximus has morphed from a well-intentioned extremist to a mustache twirling villain very quickly.

I still find it absolutely mind-boggling that the Inhumans, with all their technology, haven't come up with a way for Black Bolt to communicate outside of sign language with his wife translating.
    Last edited by Joran; 2017-10-23 at 10:06 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Walloping web-snappers! Low ratings spell doom for the Inhumans!

http://screenrant.com/inhumans-ratings-series-low/
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-10-24 at 12:10 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

There were rumors the show was cancelled before it even started airing. Even if that's not true, the low ratings probably mean there will be no second season.

17. - Top - End - #47

From the sounds of it, it was never really intended to be anything other than a miniseries. Of course, they didn't originally intend to give Agent Carter a second season either.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, Perlmutter’s own fault
    - trying to give spotlight to Inhumans, even whitewashing their history.
    - even Inhumans vs X-men didn’t help that Inhumans are “good guys” despite gassing people (Not just Mutant's ills, but consider how much of the Nu-Inhumans turned into blobs), stockpiling weapons, and enslaving humans in guise of liberation (at least from my analysis rather than writer's intent). You know who else do it? Gundam Titans except tomino know that they are bad guys.
    - and same goes for series where the bad guys is freedom fighter and writers didn’t even have a second thought.
    Last edited by t209; 2017-10-24 at 11:11 AM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

So...that was...that.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    And even though Not-Ramsay is portrayed as the bad guy
    Ramsay?
    Spoiler
    Show

If !=Ramsay is like him then he's not a bad guy, he's just got high performance standards.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

21. - Top - End - #51

Iwan Rheon, who plays Maximus, was formerly in the role of Ramsay Bolton on Game of Thrones.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

So...that was...that.

Spoiler
    Show
    What happened in the end?
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

What happened in the end?
    Spoiler: S1E8 - And Finally: Black Bolt
    Show
    Attilan was destroyed, all of the Inhumans migrated to Hawaii to start over, Maximus was left stranded in a bunker on the moon, and while it was never outright stated, it was heavily implied that the Kree are coming in season 2...if there is a season 2.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Show
    Attilan was destroyed, all of the Inhumans migrated to Hawaii to start over, Maximus was left stranded in a bunker on the moon, and while it was never outright stated, it was heavily implied that the Kree are coming in season 2...if there is a season 2.
    Sounds about as exciting as mashed potatoes.

Is ... is Lockjaw OK, at least? I really only care about Lockjaw.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-11-12 at 12:44 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Sounds about as exciting as mashed potatoes.

Is ... is Lockjaw OK, at least? I really only care about Lockjaw.
    Spoiler: Lockjaw's Fate
    Show
    Yeah, he's fine. He's a good boy, yes he is, yes he is.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Then they will probably make them the most progressive society to the point they are good guys and probably had to be opposed because...duh, bad guys.
    (sarcasm)
    Seriously though, it reminded me of Lock Up in Batman, who is supposed to be the "bad guy strawman" but every rant turned out to be true, like the fricking fact that the news just treated Poison Ivy as a celebrity and most of "brutalized" inmates are bad guys . Gah, does the writers heard about contexts?
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

This is what I found most fascinating about the last episode:
    In the control room, there were two women always sitting next to the monitor, one of each side.
    I noticed them before, but they always sat so still, so I was never sure if they are really alive or statues.

Then I saw the two in the ending scene with the rest of the moon people, and I just can't stop thinking what their purpose was.
    Were they always there? Was there job just sitting next to the computer? Maybe their special power was to power it or as a live anti-virus?
    If they were always there, weren't they also present when Marcus programmed the fail-safe and broke the dome?

As for the rest of the episode, you can probably guess how good I thought it was based on what drew my attention.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Then they will probably make them the most progressive society to the point they are good guys and probably had to be opposed because...duh, bad guys. (sarcasm)

Seriously though, it reminded me of Lock Up in Batman, who is supposed to be the "bad guy strawman" but every rant turned out to be true, like the fricking fact that the news just treated Poison Ivy as a celebrity and most of "brutalized" inmates are bad guys . Gah, does the writers heard about contexts?
    The problem, I don't think anyone on this thread actually disagrees, is that it was never adequately articulated why the "heroes" chose to perpetuate such a society in the first place.

It appears like Maximus was supposed to have a point to be a more sympathetic villain. However, the effect in the first episode (that you may have seen in IMAX) is to make him more understandable than the rest of the so-called heroes.

Then Blackbolt and Medusa never go through a lot of soul searching on Earth to challenge their views. In fact, its unclear if they ever really disagreed with Maximus in the beginning! Blackbolt didn't say that Maximus was wrong to want to move to Earth, or nor did he contradict anything he was saying to the people about the unfairness of their caste system. He was both literally and actually silent.

When the time comes, the royal family simply accept that Maximus was right all long...they say something that they saw things on Earth that help....but they really didn't see much of Earth at all. Also, didn't have a lot of great conversations where we see what the family really believed. On the rare occasion Medusa had that sort of conversation with Louise, she didn't really seem to commit to believing anything.

This is what I found most fascinating about the last episode:
    In the control room, there were two women always sitting next to the monitor, one of each side.
    I noticed them before, but they always sat so still, so I was never sure if they are really alive or statues.

Then I saw the two in the ending scene with the rest of the moon people, and I just can't stop thinking what their purpose was.
    Were they always there? Was there job just sitting next to the computer? Maybe their special power was to power it or as a live anti-virus?
    If they were always there, weren't they also present when Marcus programmed the fail-safe and broke the dome?

As for the rest of the episode, you can probably guess how good I thought it was based on what drew my attention.
    I think the two white robes (I thought it was a man and a woman) reveal something important about what the show fails to convey. We don't know who the robes are, or whether they were people or living computers.

I would sum up this episode:

Spoiler: Season (Series?) Finale
    Show
    Like the beginning this series did not end with a bang, but a whimper

I imagine what they were trying to do was to have the heroes, initially undeserving of their reign, go through a lot of soul searching to end up going full circle, and embrace the equality Maximus stood for while Maximus abandons his ideals in pursuit of sheer power.

This gets lost however because: 1) we never clearly understood what the heroes believed in (except for maybe Karnak), 2) the soul searching doesn't really happen, there are a few not-bad interactions with humans, and a soldier dies in front of the family, and suddenly everyone's ready to sign on to Maximus's agenda and 3) Maximus doesn't really abandon the revolution, he just makes it clear to all his confid its all really about him.

The entire story of the heroes returning humbled, changed and as better rulers is undermined by the poor execution of its ambitious complex stoyline. It is undermined, by the fact that the heroes didn't seem to have any reason to fight there way back to the throne except because they think rulership is their right of birth, especially if they were going to embrace Maximus' very own agenda.
    Spoiler: Last Episode
    Show
    The late breaking reveal that Black Bolt was only on the throne because he needed to be to properly defend against some threat with his power, doesn't really change the fact that the rest of the heroes were all set to seize power back without knowing any of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar