New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Mobile crit fisher

Race: Half Orc
    Background: Outlander
    Start class: Fighter 1 with mariner fighting style and skills perception and survival
    Starting stats after racials: 16/14/16/8/12/8

Level progression: 1-6 Fighter champion 2 ASI´s max STR, 7-9 Barbarian bear totem,
    10-11 rogue stealth skill and expertise in perception and athletics. 12-20 Champion
    take feats mobile, alert and GWM, 2nd style as defence.

Leaves you with a very simple character with good offence(many attacks, action surge, rage, high initiative with alert + 2 from dex + half
    proficiency from champion, advantage at will with 19-20 crits and 18-20 crits as capstone)
    good defence(19 AC with half plate, half damage from all sources xcpt psycic)
    good mobility(40ft movement with option to bonus action move another 40ft and full movement speed while swimming and climbing
    while wearing no-medium armor with no shield), decently skilled with 6 skills and 2 with expertise.

Could make it barb 2 rogue 2 for another ASI/feat but feel bear totem level 3 ability is superior to any ASI or feat.

Could also remove rogue altogether and make it 16 champ 4 barb for 7 ASI's and put those to 18 CON and tough feat for silly amounts of HP at the cost of skills and cunning action.

What do you guys´n gals think of this simple yet efficient frontliner build?
    Last edited by Spacehamster; 2017-10-01 at 04:22 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Mobile crit fisher

Race: Half Elf
    Build: EK Fighter 11, Barbarian 2, Hexblade BladeLock 3, Paladin 4
    Feat: Elven Accuracy
    Invocation: Curse Bringer

You get 3 attacks per turn. Each of them crits (against your chosen target) on a 19-20, you can get At-Will advantage on these attacks and roll 3d20 for your attacks. This means that you tend to crit 27% of the time.
    When you Crit, you can burn spell slots for both Curse Bringer and Smite to explode out with at least an extra 8d8 damage.
    Last edited by CaptainSarathai; 2017-10-02 at 06:57 PM.
    "If it's just Dailies done, they'll press on; Fighter cussing monsters, Ranger and Rogue cussing Fighter, and the Cleric cussing everyone. They're only down to about 70% HAIR (hard a** indicative rating) anyway, and probably have yet to run across any sand-paper"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Well, your build works, but I'd be tempted to go Half-Elf Champion X/Barbarian 2 with Elven Accuracy for a feat. That way, when you Reckless Attack you roll 3d20 and crits will be abound.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Race: Half Elf
    Build: EK Fighter 11, Barbarian 2, Hexblade BladeLock 3, Paladin 4
    Feat: unnecessary
    Invocation: Curse Bringer

You get 3 attacks per turn. Each of them crits (against your chosen target) on a 19-20, you can get At-Will advantage on these attacks and roll 3d20 for your attacks. This means that you tend to crit 27% of the time.
    When you Crit, you can burn spell slots for both Curse Bringer and Smite to explode out with at least an extra 8d8 damage.
    Feat: unnecessary? When Elven Accuracy is a thing?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Which book is hex blade in and same for elven accuracy? And I guess a half Orc can't take that feat anyways!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehamster View Post
    Which book is hex blade in and same for elven accuracy? And I guess a half Orc can't take that feat anyways!
    The feat is in the UA for racial feats. It's down to a choice of critting often (Half-Elf) and critting harder (Half-Orc).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    The feat is in the UA for racial feats. It's down to a choice of critting often (Half-Elf) and critting harder (Half-Orc).
    Unless, of course, you can convince your DM that it's unreasonable of the game to insist mixed-race characters have to be half-human. :)

In all seriousness, though, if I were starting a campaign where that kind of naked optimization fit in, I'd ask the DM if I could play a Half-Elf/Half-Orc, quick-and-dirty homebrewed as "Half-Elf, but with Intimidation and Savage Attacks instead of Skill Versatility and Fey Ancestry".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthaer View Post
    Unless, of course, you can convince your DM that it's unreasonable of the game to insist mixed-race characters have to be half-human. :)

In all seriousness, though, if I were starting a campaign where that kind of naked optimization fit in, I'd ask the DM if I could play a Half-Elf/Half-Orc, quick-and-dirty homebrewed as "Half-Elf, but with Intimidation and Savage Attacks instead of Skill Versatility and Fey Ancestry".
    if one of my players wanted a Half-elf/half-orc I would say "Sure" use the stats of a Standard Human, because I am a terrible jerk.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GlenSmash! View Post
    if one of my players wanted a Half-elf/half-orc I would say "Sure" use the stats of a Standard Human, because I am a terrible jerk.
    If you granted access to racial feats for orcs and elves, I totally would
    Trollbait extraordinaire