New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: ESCAPE of the UNKNOWNS

"Lafe are not picky." the gardener sends out to any who may be listening while everyone discusses their preferences in food. "but we struggle with..." the name escapes him for a moment "Spoons. I lack lips or teeth so larger food is preferred over soup or stew. Giant spiders and like are a personal favourite. My tongues help with scraping meat from shell and bone. Probably marrow too "

He removes the cloth over his face to show his point and starts balling the length of string he had underneath.

He thinks on Four's question on useful plants. Probably good to see if he remembers anything useful from these last centuries.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

The gardener tries to recall any useful plants or fungi from the region:
    Knowledge (Nature):(1d20+6)[25]
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

"I see. It would seem you're truly prepared for anything," Four says to Hunter with a small smile. "Thank you. I'll start preparing some for everyone, with your permission."

Four, being an especially polite sort, successfully avoids staring at the Lafe's cancerous mess of spines and tentacles. Not that the gardener's monstrous appearance is a thing to be ignored; it's held back an ancient and intelligent race to the point where they can only seem to sell themselves as evil minions and beasts of burden. If they could only have cleared that hurdle, Gardener's like would probably be the ones running this plane of existence.

But, you know. Four's seen worse.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Useful plants and fungi
    Show
    If you were to actually go out foraging you would probably come across several species that you recognize and useful ... in one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreadNecro5 View Post
    "Lafe are not picky." the gardener sends out to any who may be listening while everyone discusses their preferences in food. "but we struggle with..." the name escapes him for a moment "Spoons. I lack lips or teeth so larger food is preferred over soup or stew. Giant spiders and like are a personal favourite. My tongues help with scraping meat from shell and bone. Probably marrow too "

He removes the cloth over his face to show his point and starts balling the length of string he had underneath.

He thinks on Four's question on useful plants. Probably good to see if he remembers anything useful from these last centuries.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

The gardener tries to recall any useful plants or fungi from the region:
    Knowledge (Nature):[roll0]

4. - Top - End - #184

"Hunter", Aroswav asks, "do you know whether there are dangerous beasts in this area?"
    Awesome avatar by Linklele. Thank you!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

HUNTER: "There are several dangerous beasts in this forest. Especially for the unsuspecting, dangerous does not always mean big."

Quote Originally Posted by ahyangyi View Post
    "Hunter", Aroswav asks, "do you know whether there are dangerous beasts in this area?"
    Last edited by Gypsy52; 2018-02-12 at 11:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186

"So... when do you need to go hunting, bring me with you." Aroswav says, "the more people the safer, isn't it?"

Aroswav then tries to hack his crude holy symbol with the wood piece he brings.

7. - Top - End - #187

NecromancerGuy

"I should hunt too." says the gardener to anyone I range. "I should test my bow and can likely find useful plants".

It is a minute before he 'speaks' again.

"Someone should pass on what I say to Hunter." he adds bluntly "They cannot listen".
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

"I will teach all who wish to learn, in due time. But now you should rest and prepare for the morrow." With that Hunter finishes the last bits of her meal and tea, then departs to her tent.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

"Very well," Four says to Gardener as she sets up Hunter's rustic equivalent to a teapot places it on the fire. It feels weird taking such requests from a Lafe, but as we're all free people now his wishes are as valid as any human's. "I do agree that we should rest for tonight. We have all had a strenuous couple of days, I imagine."

She says that, but she actually spent most of the day standing around waiting. Still, it was agonizing. "For my part, I'd feel more comfortable if someone could be awake during my sleep cycle... but I can wait until someone wakes up in the morning, if that's more convenient."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hunter pauses as she closes the flaps. "As you wish, but here you are safe!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    "Very well," Four says to Gardener as she sets up Hunter's rustic equivalent to a teapot places it on the fire. It feels weird taking such requests from a Lafe, but as we're all free people now his wishes are as valid as any human's. "I do agree that we should rest for tonight. We have all had a strenuous couple of days, I imagine."

She says that, but she actually spent most of the day standing around waiting. Still, it was agonizing. "For my part, I'd feel more comfortable if someone could be awake during my sleep cycle... but I can wait until someone wakes up in the morning, if that's more convenient."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

"I see. Alright, thank you."

Four resolves to get to sleep as soon as possible, hoping to finish while someone else is up talking or something.

12. - Top - End - #192

"May Tsukiyo grant us a peaceful night." Aroswav prays. (Tsukiyo is a god of night)

Aroswav wanted to be the one to stay alert, but he feels so tired. He tries to figure out whether Hunter's guarantee can be trusted.

Spoiler: Rolls!
    Show

(1d20+8)[18] sense motive

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hunter closes the flaps to her tent without any further comment.

Spoiler: Motive check?
    Show
    Aroswav detects no intent of deception from Hunter. She is as most elves, calm and serious in her soft-spoken mannerisms.

"May Tsukiyo grant us a peaceful night." Aroswav prays. (Tsukiyo is a god of night)

Aroswav wanted to be the one to stay alert, but he feels so tired. He tries to figure out whether Hunter's guarantee can be trusted.

Spoiler: Rolls!
    Show

[roll0] sense motive

14. - Top - End - #194

Aroswav decides that trusting the riddle (and thus trusting hunter's guarantee) is the best option, and he is tired anyway. He goes to sleep.

15. - Top - End - #195

NecromancerGuy

The gardener decides to head off to sleep too, not volunteering for a watch seeing as Hunter cannot hear him.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Four started resting as soon as everyone's tea was ready.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Next morning the four awake not to see Hunter sitting by the fire, but a halfling dressed in a patchwork of browns, black, and greens. His back is toward the tents but he is fully aware of everyone as he holds up one hand and motions them forward. “G’day friends, I am called Fingers.”
    A sudden burst of light and smoke announces the arrival of another newcomer standing on a lone stone in the center of the waterfall’s basin. She is human with long, trailing blonde hair that is made even more pronounced by her dark blue robes. In her left hand she holds an 8’ tall staff with a shimmering blue stone mounted in its crook. With her right hand she immediately gives the sign of the Third Eye. “Greetings, they call me Witch. And he is called Blade.” She points downstream to the unknown that approaches through the shallows.

Spoiler: BLADE
    Show
    Blade is a Thypte; a very ancient species, believed to have spawned many of the known groups. Standing man-high, but with an orcish face. His hands resemble goat hooves, his legs are segmented into two pair from each hip and look like those of a deer or elk. He’s wearing body armor constructed from large plates of bone laced together, on each side he wears a curved, sword-like weapon.
    Last edited by Gypsy52; 2018-02-23 at 07:49 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Four returns the hand sign and bows politely to each of the Eye members in turn. "Good morning, Fingers. Witch. Blade. Hunter told us we would be training today. However... I don't imagine any of you are here for that?"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Fingers stood and glanced toward Witch andlaughed. “We are all here to teach, if you are willing to learn. Each of us has our own specialty, and you can stay and learn as much as you wish or as much as we know.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Four returns the hand sign and bows politely to each of the Eye members in turn. "Good morning, Fingers. Witch. Blade. Hunter told us we would be training today. However... I don't imagine any of you are here for that?"
    Last edited by Gypsy52; 2018-02-23 at 07:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200

Aroswav looks around in suspicion. Do the three newcomers carry the third eye symbol we are all used to see?

21. - Top - End - #201

NecromancerGuy

The gardener looks at the newcomers in turn before rising from the ball he slept as, seeing no real need to 'talk'. Afterword he waited to see what these teachers say.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Aroswav looks around in suspicion. Do the three newcomers carry the third eye symbol we are all used to see?
    Spoiler: Recognition
    Show
    Note in #197 that Witch did give the sign, and she introduced Blade. But to answer your question fully..... "NO!" Neither Fingers nor Blade have given the sign or carry anything.

23. - Top - End - #203

One third eye symbol is enough to convince Aroswav that the newcomes are of no danger.

Aroswav asks Finger, "I am eager to learn. But what does each of you teach?"

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Fingers stood and walked about the campfire as if giving a lecture. “By trade you would probably call me a thief or a rogue, but those are not the arts I’m here to teach. I will show you the ways of stealth, spotting and avoiding traps, and if necessary making traps for protection… as well as a few other fine traits that may come in useful”

In a gruff voice Blade spoke up; “Me show fight you how good. Maybe you alive keep.” Then he pulled out both swords and began a blade handling display that culminated with cutting down a nearby tree with a single blow and cutting that through with his other hand, before it could hit the ground. “Needed wood anyway… (laughing)!”

“I am Witch and I will assess your aptitude for the arcane. I you have the gift I will help you develop it. Those that don’t I will show how to recognize when magic is present and in use.” With that she looked off into the forest, into the distance as if something or someone were missing or coming.
    Last edited by Gypsy52; 2018-02-25 at 10:15 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ah... I suppose that is for me," Four says to Witch. "I'm already magically active, and I assume that's why I was recruited."

26. - Top - End - #206

Aroswav speaks to Witch, "I already know a bit or two about arcane magic*. However, my spells came from my faith, and I doubt further study would be beneficial."

He then turns to Fingers, "I might not be the most agile guy to learn from you, but I am eager to learn how to work with shadows."

* Aroswav has trained Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Post Re: ESCAPE of the UNKNOWNS

While the training conversation is continuing Hunter arrives accompanied by another; a human male dressed in brown robes. “Hello in the camp.” Hunter calls out as she and the newcomer get close. Witch dashes out to greet the two and gives the man in brown a big hug. The three return to the fire, where Witch introduces the man; “This is my husband, you can call him Fryer. “

Fryer nods and signals everyone with the customary Third Eye salute; “I am sorry I have delayed your training, but I had difficultly leaving Karagould. Seems the under-lords have placed some very heavy bounties on us. Enough that some of our own members have turned informant… the half-wit Chima being the worst of the lot.” Fryer pours himself some tea and finds a place to sit; “Also we have some very expensive run-aways this time. Their former-masters want returned… one way or another. From that I guess someone knows something?” Fryer eyes each of the escapees for a tell-tale sign.
    Last edited by Gypsy52; 2018-02-25 at 10:14 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

"As stolen merchandise goes, I imagine we're all pretty valuable. Two magicians, a strong survivalist..."

Four has no idea what Ted's special skill is. She's just been assuming that he was some kind of line cook. That's kind of prejudiced of you, Four!

"As such, I guess I'm not sure what you're asking. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if I was missed and being hunted by name."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2018-02-25 at 10:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209

Aroswav asks, "do you know what happened to Rectar?", before realizing something grim and adds the question, "and... is our camp still safe?"

30. - Top - End - #210

NecromancerGuy

The gardener contemplates the news Fryer gave. Bounty hunters may become a significant issue.

As he makes his way to Fingers he decides to test if any of the other teachers are as deaf as Hunter. Assuming deaf is the correct term for one who cannot listen, the grunts humans communicate with leave what they would call a language barrier on the subject.

"Can anyone hear?" he sends them, as usual not giving any movement that wound indicate his attempt at communication.

Once reaching the shortest of the teachers he takes a place beside Aroswav and nods at Fingers.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9