New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Default Looking for a Unique magic item for a long death monk.

So I got unique magic items already made for my paladin, bladelock, fighter/rogue. But not yet for my long death monk player. These are scaling magic items for them. Also I have three more players joins a BM fighter, warlock,pisonic.

Paladin has a sword that if she is below half her go max at the start of her turn she get a d4 of healing.

Bladelocks was given a mimic as a weapon. If he hit his target the mimic get to make a bite attack for free. He can also use any of the mimic ability with the club.

The fighter/rogue will be getting a magical sword sheath that when a sword is sheathed and pulled out the next creature hit with the sword is under the Poison condition even if it has Immunity to the condition.

When they get around level 10 or higher they will unlock different features. Haven't yet come up with them.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a Unique magic item for a long death monk.

The default for monk's usually is some sort of handwrap that gives them a bonus to unarmed strike.

However, for a Long Death monk I think a burial shroud would be pretty awesome and more flavorful.

Burial Shroud
    Usable only by Death Domain Clerics and Long Death Monks
    The burial shroud gives the character power over the energies of death. Once per long rest, they can sheath themselves in necrotic energy for 1 minute. This necrotic shield gives them +1 to AC, and anytime they make physical contact with another living being they do an extra 1d6 necrotic energy.

Once they get higher level, you can easily increase the AC and damage, or give them a bonus to the frighten ability.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

A mask that lets the Monk replace one attack on their turn to cause Fear in an enemy (with X uses per long rest?), and when using Hour of Reaping, it expands the radius to 60 feet.

Gloves that allow the Monk to change his damage type from bludgeoning to necrotic (or that just add necrotic damage).

A robe that allows them to transfer the THP they gain from Touch of Death to a nearby team member.

A necklace that lets the monk cast speak with dead at will, and animate dead 1/LR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Item that allows the monk to convert some of his own health into Ki once per short rest.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I'm a fan of cliches - a sickle or scythe (monk weapon, spear stats with slashing damage) that does an extra 3d6 necrotic on a crit, and the monk gets half the necro damage as hp a la Vampiric Touch. Or as thp if you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Lee View Post
    Item that allows the monk to convert some of his own health into Ki once per short rest.
    Hit Die for ki could be fun. Hit die for anything could be fun.

One of the items floating around in my home game is a blood coral ring. It's a gold ring with coral worked throughout - sharp edges protruding inside and out. Aside from plot functions, it can "drink" and store up to 3 Hit Die (the coral going from white to red). As a bonus action, you can spend them to heal (as if on a short rest), or as an action burn one to cast ray of sickness (additional HD to upcast). An option to change HD into ki might be a good monk-specific change.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

6. - Top - End - #6

Kobold

I'm surprised I didn't think of this sooner. I've played 3 monks before and one thing I wished for was more ki so.

Reaper's touch a pair of gloves or wraps

If you kill a creature that's not a construct or undead. You steal some of there spirt energy filling your ki.

You deal Necrotic damage Instead of your normal damage type and is able to cast spar the dying as a bonus action.

Maybe later letting him cast some necromancy spells.
    What no y'all think.
    Last edited by Throne12; 2017-10-03 at 01:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throne12 View Post
    I'm surprised I didn't think of this sooner. I've played 3 monks before and one thing I wished for was more ki so.

Reaper's touch a pair of gloves or wraps

If you kill a creature that's not a construct or undead. You steal some of there spirt energy filling your ki.

You deal Necrotic damage Instead of your normal damage type and is able to cast spar the dying as a bonus action.

Maybe later letting him cast some necromancy spells.
    What no y'all think.
    Beware the bag of rats test. That being said, it's a pretty good idea

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

How about a ring/gloves/wrap that restores ki for every X number of hit dice of creatures the monk brings to 0 hit points?

I'm not super familiar with the currency of ki, so those more experienced can probably pick the X value.

Seems like this would need to be within a time period. Like every long/short rest it would reset the hit dice required for a ki.
    Also, I wouldn't let the monk double dip for temp hitpoints, so they'd have to forego those.
    Last edited by JPicasso; 2017-10-03 at 02:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Hacking from fiendlock:

Dropping a creature to 0 allows you to gain regain ki equal to WIS mod, once per short rest.
    ki recovery is dependent on Monk ability, not creature size/power. short rest limit keeps you down to one rat at a time.

Alternative idea (from above):
    uses charges, ki by HD. The hand wraps/ring/cestii has a number of charges. To extract ki, you have to expend a charge. The amount you get is dependent on creature HD. You may want to set a hard limit on how much you can gain at once.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    Hacking from fiendlock:

Dropping a creature to 0 allows you to gain regain ki equal to WIS mod, once per short rest.
    ki recovery is dependent on Monk ability, not creature size/power. short rest limit keeps you down to one rat at a time.

Alternative idea (from above):
    uses charges, ki by HD. The hand wraps/ring/cestii has a number of charges. To extract ki, you have to expend a charge. The amount you get is dependent on creature HD. You may want to set a hard limit on how much you can gain at once.
    At that point you could give it x charges, and let them spend some to get back half(rounded up) their Monk level in Ki points on a kill.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Maybe an item that activates with their 6th level ability of holding on with one hp, where the over flow damage they would have gotten is added to their next attack. And if they use this survive ability before they dispell the previous charge it replaces it.

For example So they have 5 hp get hit for 15 hp and use their ki to survive with 1 hp it holds the 10 damage and applies to next hit they land on an enemy. If they get hit again they chose to keep the higher damage value. I wouldn't let them store it because they could save it a long time and nuke things.