New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Greatest Meal Ever

I think this is the proper place to announce to the world that I think I have temporarily manifested magical powers.

Having come into the city with almost half of my paycheck remaining, and the next arriving in but two days, I made the courageous decision to treat myself to dinner.

So I got in my truck and drove the short way to the mall area, arriving at the small sushi place that my boss owns in addition to the restaurant in which I work. Unsurprisingly, he was there, as he usually is on weekdays.

"You do not make enough money to eat here on your sarary!" he yelled, pointing out the door in the direction of the restaurant. "You go back to kitchen!"

I'm not sure if he was serious or not. But not matter! I was soon seated at the bar, looking over the glossy, illustrated menu. The hunger with which I only a short while ago did contend was of legendary scale, and I soon selected not one but two entrees to appease it. It wasn't long before the elder of the two knife-wielding fellows behind the bar was handing me my quarry, a beautiful spread of softshell crab, avocado, eel, wasabi, flying fish roe, cucumber, tuna, salmon roe, and ginger, all wrapped expertly in rice with seaweed and laid gently over the pearly ceramic and draped with a gentle criss-cross of teriyaki.

I set to work, my boss looking over my shoulder, his gold chain gleaming in the dim lighting behind his white polo shirt, suspicious of my ability to actually pay for such a smörgåsbord. The poor man beside me was not prepared for the gruesome visage I presented, crunching into the protruding legs and claws, soaking the fine, salty fish eggs in the soy, closing my eyes every now and then to contemplate more clearly the spicy cuts of eel; he sat stone-still, silent, aghast at such exotic gluttony.

I finished it all with the rapidity of a very practiced avarice, gulping down even the pink rubber of the ginger decoration, relishing every last minute sphere of sunset-orange and the final few grains that were knocked loose during the onslaught. Even the ease with which I was able to cover the bill and tip the man (twenty percent, not fifteen) brought its own brand of satisfaction. Surely, it was about three times more than I can intelligently afford, but such are the occasional rewards of the scrupulous asceticism I most often employ.

Though not as brilliant in the setting sun, the low, pulsating aura with which I was now surrounded shone clearly as I left, bidding my superior adieu and crawling back behind the wheel. I could see for miles and miles, and an unmatched tactile precision graced my fingertips. The thoughts of others now seemed obvious and perspicuous, and the smallest details of the environment are even now sculpted into my memory with laser precision.

I am considering using this brief interim of transcendental majesty to fight crime, cure cancer, or write a book that will change the world. But my eyelids are feeling heavy, and I think I'd simply rather lie upon the sofa and see what fantastic, sublime reverie with which such an unchained mind can grace me. If and when I return, I'll likely have reverted to the poor wretch who formerly inhabited this body. Be gentle to him; the mind of such a simple creature as man can scarce contain such grandeur even in memory, and too vivid a remembrance may shatter him.
    Last edited by Arameus; 2007-08-15 at 10:17 PM.
    Glorious Chaiman Kaga avatar by the impeccable Kalirush!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Greatest Meal Ever

Great post. It tells a story of the small man trumping the system and basking in the simple pleasures of life, with no regards to what the world wants him to do. A polaroid of pride amid a roadside movie stop. I felt I was there sitting in the sushi bar next to him, half smiling at what I saw as chalking up one for the good guys. Then I smiled along as even the sun bowed laughing.

Also, it gave me a killer craving for sushi ^^

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chairman Kaga... you make me smile.

Futo-maki, California, Spicy Tuna, or even Nigiri... such a description of Sushi has not graced my ears. Thank you kind sir.

Allez Cuisine!
    Unofficial Brew-Meister in the playground. Just ask!

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by FdL View Post
    Great post. It tells a story of the small man trumping the system and basking in the simple pleasures of life, with no regards to what the world wants him to do. A polaroid of pride amid a roadside movie stop. I felt I was there sitting in the sushi bar next to him, half smiling at what I saw as chalking up one for the good guys. Then I smiled along as even the sun bowed laughing.

Also, it gave me a killer craving for sushi ^^
    I... didn't intend any of that! But it's great to know my writing has such unintentional depth!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Glorious post indeed! You'll be much-apreciated over at http://www.writing.com/

Oh, and hey, there's nothing wrong with somebody fully indulging his/her hunger in such a manner, I say.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2007-08-14 at 09:05 PM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

BLORRFF!

Sorry, but seafood makes me vomit. When i eat it anyways. I think i can eat tuna without vomiting, but i dont really want to. I also really dislike the smell of salmon, but sushis usually okay. Hey, go indulge yourself, as long as i dont need to eat it, im good.
    - I like the world. Some of my best evilness took place here. I wouldn't mind ruling it, in fact.
    - Nah, Teevo is helping me edit my submission to "World's Funniest Protagonist Deaths"
    - Badass. REALLY badass.

Nominated for Xykon in the Playground:

Official Biophiliac of the Xykon fan club.

REALLY badass avatar by Dr.Bath

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Excellent story, and though I hate to do it, i'd suggest you change a word in the second paragraph in the sentence describing your meal. Otherwise, it will come off a tad distasteful.

Nevertheless, I also have a craving for sushi now.
    Last edited by Marek; 2007-08-14 at 09:29 PM.
    In the desert
    I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
    Who, squatting upon the ground,
    Held his heart in his hands,
    And ate of it.
    I said, "Is it good, friend?"
    "It is bitter - bitter", he answered,
    "But I like it
    Because it is bitter,
    And because it is my heart."

Stephen Crane, 'In the Desert'

8. - Top - End - #8

First, (not to take away from the story or anything) but personally, the best meal, is a home cooked meal. Second, I know how you feel. I'm in the same boat a lot lately. But there are those times you've just got to say the hell with it, and do what feels right. Sometimes you've just got to splurge and do things like that for yourself. There are times you regret the decision later, but you only live once, throw caution to the wind, and have fun while and enjoy yourself.
    Grinning Purple Gelatinous Cube avatar courtesy of Lord_Herman
    Attacking Cube courtesy of Sampi
    Current avatar courtesy of Rutskarn

My GiTP stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM
    Currently none

Player
    currently none

Creations:
    Fimbulwight

I have my own RB thread right here.

Come and join in the newly minted Fictional Character Contest

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Marek View Post
    Excellent story, and though I hate to do it, i'd suggest you change a word in the second paragraph in the sentence describing your meal. Otherwise, it will come off a tad distasteful.

Nevertheless, I also have a craving for sushi now.
    I'd truly like to hear it. What word? Furthermore, I do not describe my meal in the second paragraph! I think I know what you're talking about, though.

I take no offense to suggestions, although I intended this only to see if I could sit down and write in a single draft a quality description of a mundane yet highly-enjoyable event, so I'll not change any of it to preserve purity of intention.

10. - Top - End - #10

Im or for beating the system, but eating at your work place seems off to me, i mean working there is bad enough but going back there in your own time thats crazy

great story, im going to go cure cancer with a bucket of crawfish
    *needs a new avatar*

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

... I don't eat sushi, but that story makes me want to start. Even though I support The Man and The System unconditionally, that's a great story of making yourself freer and happier. I'd say you win a cookie, but you're probably full at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

12. - Top - End - #12

I don't work there. But my boss owns the sushi place in addition to the restaurant at which I work. He's at the sushi bar in the week and the steakhouse on weekends, just to keep an eye on things.

Please note: I didn't mean this in anyway about beating any sort of 'system.' That was an invention of FdL, who is apparently too smart for his own good. This is just an elaborately-articulated telling of my big tasy meal I shouldn't really try to afford on a dishwasher's salary.

And for the record, I like my boss; he's really nice and fun to work for, with a good sense of humor. He's wealthy, but apparently self-made. His comments at the sushi bar were all either playful or just from the surprise of seeing me there, as it is an upper-scale place. He really does always dress that same way, though: Gold chain, polo shirt, usually a ballcap, but no cap today.
    Last edited by Arameus; 2007-08-14 at 10:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magioth View Post
    Im or for beating the system, but eating at your work place seems off to me, i mean working there is bad enough but going back there in your own time thats crazy
    I believe he worked at a different restraunt owned by the same person.
    *sigh* damn, I wish I could have some real sushi sometime... Sushi-train's okay, if a little hit-and-miss, but even that I don't get unless I go to a city for some reason

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I believe he worked at a different restraunt owned by the same person.
    *sigh* damn, I wish I could have some real sushi sometime... Sushi-train's okay, if a little hit-and-miss, but even that I don't get unless I go to a city for some reason
    Oh c'mon! How hard can it be to go catch a fish to gnaw on for a while?
    Avatar by Sneak - The Midnight Son by Ceika
    No more a lone wolf, The Midnight Son rides again.
    Give thanks ye mortals, for he rides on the wings of an angel.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arameus View Post
    It wasn't long before the elder of the two knife-wielding fellows behind the bar was handing me my quarry, a beautiful spread of softshell crap...
    *giggle*

Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

It wasn't long before the elder of the two knife-wielding fellows behind the bar was handing me my quarry, a beautiful spread of softshell crap
    DAMN YOU SPELL CHECK!!!

As always, a positively delightful post, Arameus.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
    Oh c'mon! How hard can it be to go catch a fish to gnaw on for a while?
    Believe it or not, there is a huge difference between chomping on a freshly-caught carp and sampling a delicately prepared morsel of rice, eel and fish eggs... (speaking of which: flying fish roe? I've never had that).
    As for catching it... a decent-sized one, by me? Very, apparently

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by RAGE KING! View Post
    BLORRFF!

Sorry, but seafood makes me vomit. When i eat it anyways. I think i can eat tuna without vomiting, but i dont really want to. I also really dislike the smell of salmon, but sushis usually okay. Hey, go indulge yourself, as long as i dont need to eat it, im good.
    me too.
    I'll clean it up later.

(your description was awesome though)

All artwork stolen from Bathy

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

You made me really wish I liked sushi, but I don't like cold food, fish, or seaweed so I don't that's gonna happen any time soon, so I'll just stick to inari for now (ball of rice wrapped in sweet, fried tofu).
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I guess someone else saw the error as well...

Nonetheless, i'm still craving sushi.
    In the desert
    I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
    Who, squatting upon the ground,
    Held his heart in his hands,
    And ate of it.
    I said, "Is it good, friend?"
    "It is bitter - bitter", he answered,
    "But I like it
    Because it is bitter,
    And because it is my heart."

Stephen Crane, 'In the Desert'

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I loved the description. It almost made we wish I ate sushi, which is saying a lot because normally I avoid eating things that could probably turn around and eat me before I'm finished.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Very well written indeed, I must say. I rarely enjoy reading such long posts, and I usually even give up half way through, but I read this one with pleasure.
    And yes, I too have now been inflicted with a craving for sushi.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by MrEdwardNigma View Post
    And yes, I too have now been inflicted with a craving for sushi.
    Definitely. Jasmine, here I come for some Snow Crab Sushi.
    Avatar by Sneak - The Midnight Son by Ceika
    No more a lone wolf, The Midnight Son rides again.
    Give thanks ye mortals, for he rides on the wings of an angel.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sushi-Land! woop woop

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I... didn't intend any of that! But it's great to know my writing has such unintentional depth!
    Heh! I meant it as a compliment in the form of a literary review because I thought it was really well written and I liked it a lot ^^

Please note: I didn't mean this in anyway about beating any sort of 'system.' That was an invention of FdL, who is apparently too smart for his own good.
    Heheheh ^^ Got me there. It was fun though :p

PS: We all got cravings for sushi. I think this might be a covert case of publicity for his boss' place I know I'd go!
    Last edited by FdL; 2007-08-15 at 02:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

One frickin' spelling error, and in the worst possible place, and also uncatchable by the spellcheck due to the error's nature. I couldn't have even hit the button by mistake, as the 'b' and 'p' aren't even near each other. So was that a Freudian slip or what?

You know, I only put this here to tell people about my awesome meal; I wouldn't have even put it into such articulation if I hadn't thought that that in itself would have been boring. But now the event itself is moot and the style in which it was written has been made the centerpiece, meaning that this is retroactively in the wrong forum, technically. Is that good or bad?

27. - Top - End - #27

Your clearly zen-like experience has reminded me of my own culinary moment of nirvana, a plate of Schweinbauch at a german restaurant in Sydney. To anyone living in Sydney I implore you to go to the Lerwenbrau Keller in the Rocks and order the Schweinbauch. It saddens me that the place where the greatest meal I ever had is, is in another country.

And, yes, your post makes me want sushi. Vuzzmop want sushi baddddddd.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by purple gelatinous cube o' Doom View Post
    Sometimes you've just got to splurge and do things like that for yourself. There are times you regret the decision later, but you only live once, throw caution to the wind, and have fun while and enjoy yourself.
    as the man says

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop & look around once in a while you might miss it"
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

29. - Top - End - #29

That was the best description of a sushi meal I've ever read!
    Well, it's also the only description of a sushi meal I've ever read.

It was a great post either way.

Along with a few others, it has, in fact, given me a craving for sushi.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."

-Abraham Lincoln
    Love wins.
    my blog.