New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Star wars: Battlefront 2

The open beta is starting on the 6th, anyone else thinking of trying it then?
    It seems better then the first one, and will have more singleplayer content.

I will be playing some (origin id: legoshrimp), message me if you want to play.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/ba...-2/events/beta

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Star wars: Battlefront 2

Did... did EA simply forgot they already had a Star Wars Battlefront 2 (or Star Wars Battlefront in any case) or something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Battlefront_II
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Did... did EA simply forgot they already had a Star Wars Battlefront 2 (or Star Wars Battlefront in any case) or something?

Apparently they rebooted the series with a new Star Wars Battlefront.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post

Battlefront II is not Battlefront 2, and the former wasn't made by EA (though they did acquire the developer studio afterward). It also recently got an update that re-enabled multiplayer.

The new BF2 looks like it has potential (for watching those wrist rockets), so I'll probably try the open beta. The minimum requirements seem to indicate that you'll need a processor with quite a few cores to get it to run well, with Intel's 4-core i5 6600K listed as a minimum requirement (next to AMD's FX-6350, which has 6 weaker cores) and 8-thread processors listed as recommended (FX-8350 has 8 physical cores, while the i7 6700 has 4 physical cores with multithreading).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Alright. Is splitscreen online multiplayer a thing this game has? Or if not, some mode like the old great Galactic Conquest with splitscreen obviously?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll try the beta, if it's available on PS4. I had a lot of grievances with the last game though, so I won't be an easy sell for them.

At bare minimum, I want to see:

-more single player and cooperative (i.e. not against other players) content
    -better balance in starfighter combat
    -proof that they're capable of balancing without just nerfing everything into the ground
    -some idea of what DLC is coming down the line, especially if they're selling a season pass that costs nearly as much as the actual game
    -and most of all, something that doesn't feel like less than half a game when it first comes out, unlike last time.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I got some quality time with the beta over the weekend, and quite liked it. The map design reminded me strongly of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, which is damn high praise since IMHO ET:QW is the best class based objective oriented shooter ever made. I mean it's not quite that good, the units don't have quite the diversity of capability the ET:QW guys do, and the asymmetry isn't nearly as deep or interesting, but it's the first shooter since Section 8: Prejudice that's actually worth mentioning in the same paragraph as Quake Wars. The use of spawn tickets being tied to how well you complete the first objective on Naboo is really clever design.

Starfighter combat is fun. It's not quite as interesting as it was in OG Battlefront 2 since it doesn't seem like you can land in enemy ships or control turrets or other forms of delightfully weird mayhem, and the starship controls feel a bit less crisp. But it's still a lot of fun.

It's just a pity they attached that horrorshow of an upgrade system to it. The one in Battlefront 1 (the second one) was grindy as hell, but at least it was basically under player control, so if I decided I really wanted the burst fire carbine I could save up and buy the damn burst fire carbine. Then inevitably decide it's not as good as the Lewis Gun blaster and go back to that. Here it's a miasma of crates and crafting supplies and things that are supposed to trip my 'spend money' circuits like a frog wired to a credit card and an electrical outlet. Nothing says fun like sitting through a BS animation so I can discover I've been rewarded with a victory pose I don't care about for a class I have no interest in playing! And I have to grind my ass off to get enough spacebucks to buy a crate in the first place? I hate everything about this, and whatever morally compromised psychologist cooked it up needs a lightsaber suppository.

(At least the animation is less annoying than it is in Overwatch, a game where I felt vaguely insulted by its insinuation that I was going to find unlocking outfits just the most exciting thing ever! It's a first person game, I gave about .5 craps about what color my character's arm polygons are, and precisely zero craps about how they look in after-match nonsense.)

Still worth a pre-order since I could get it fairly cheap from Greenmangaming.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Starfighter combat is fun. It's not quite as interesting as it was in OG Battlefront 2 since it doesn't seem like you can land in enemy ships or control turrets or other forms of delightfully weird mayhem, and the starship controls feel a bit less crisp. But it's still a lot of fun.
    Starfighter combat was one of my favorite parts of the old games, and the only part of the first EA Battlefront that I really liked (even with the bugs and balance issues that they may or may not have ever fixed). In the old games, I did like that you could board the enemy ship and sabotage it from within, but I also felt that it was too big a part of those space battles. As someone who prefers fighting from the cockpit of a starfighter, I wish dogfight kills were more highly rewarded than standing there chucking grenades at the life support system. It is, after all, supposed to be a space battle. Best of all would have been some actual variety in the various space maps, beyond having a different number of support frigates to blow up.

I thought the first EA Battlefront did dogfighting pretty right, except for the part where A-Wings had a super tiny hitbox that was nearly impossible to hit, and how the Millennium Falcon was a million times stronger than the Slave I (even ignoring the fact that the Falcon could literally ram Slave I for an insta-kill and take no damage at all if you activate your shields right before impact).

I downloaded the beta for this game, and then got sidetracked playing Destiny 2 and didn't touch it at all. Is the beta still available?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Beta's done, unfortunately.

If you want a really objective heavy starfighter experience, Battlefront 2 (the second one) has you covered, since at least the beta map was as designed around completing particular map stages as the infantry map. Granted it was a sequence of blowing up the things, but it meant that the attacking team's focus was on the objectives, and the defending team's focus was on killing as many attackers as possible so they'd run out of spawn tickets. Which, when I was playing, hardly ever happened.

Really, if what you're looking for is Battlefront 1 (the second one) but with more stuff, this has you covered. Unfortunately that more stuff also means a really terrible progression system. It's not even that people can buy the loot boxes that I object to, it's that actually playing the way you want to is so enslaved by the stupid randomization.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Game looks fun but if the progression system stays the same as the beta im out.