New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXXII: I Got 99 Guardsmen and Morale Killed One.

That army has some though to crack units at range, but will quickly crumble to melee, or DS tactics (or both, some armies can pull out both.)

Heldrakes will be the bane of you.
    Anything that can reliably DS and charge will also be an issue.
    Auto-hitting things to circle around your BS reduction (ironically, your own list XD)
    Anything that can charge from large distances, especially if it has fly to knock down your hemlocks.

Its not bad, not bad at all. but its taking a beating by some of the already popular things.
    Last edited by boomwolf; 2017-10-20 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXXII: I Got 99 Guardsmen and Morale Killed One.

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Its not bad, not bad at all. but its taking a beating by some of the already popular things.
    Ultramarines; Guilliman and massive amounts of ranged firepower (Scouts, Devastators, Hellblasters, Razorbacks, Stormravens).
    Raven Guard; Ranged firepower; Long range and mid-range (Scouts, Devastators, Hellblasters, Aggressors).
    Blood Angels; SUA spam with Melee units.
    Grey Knights; SUA spam with Ranged units.

Codex AM; Massive hordes. Leman Russes. Psyker spam. SUA spam. AM are so good they can practically run anything they want - in any combination - and still win.
    Sisters; Grey Knights but also not quite as good, but also sometimes better. Grey Knights have an extremely strong opening game, but quickly lose steam as only one unit can manifest Gate of Infinity per turn. Sisters hopefully will run around in their Rhinos.
    AdMech; Infantry spam. Often accompanied by Imperial Knights.

Chaos Space Marines; SUA spam with Melee units. And Magnus or Mortarion.
    Daemons; Brimstone spam.
    Death Guard; Mortarion (and Epidemius, depending on meta's rules). Typhus and Poxwalker spam.

Orks; Boyz spam.

Drukhari/Ynnari; Boats.
    Harlequins/Ynnari; Different boats.
    Craftworld; TBD. But currently Shuriken spam.

Tyranids; Massive hordes and SUA spam.
    Genestealer Cults; Medium 'hordes', and SUA spam.

+ All armies with cheap Psykers, are taking them in great numbers.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2017-10-20 at 09:27 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionbound View Post
    So in anticipation of the Codex, I've scrapped together an Eldar list at the current point values, just to play with an idea:
    Spoiler: Three-Part Harmony
    Show
    3x Hemlock Wraithfighters w/ Conceal/Reveal
    1x Autarch with Mandiblasters, two Avenger Shuriken Catapults, and Shuriken Pistol
    1x Farseer with Singing Spear, Guide, and Doom
    4x 10-man Shadow Spectre Units with Exarch with Prism Rifle
    1x Wave Serpent with Twin Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Crystal Targeting Array, Spirits Stones, Star Engines, and Vectored Engines

The idea is to have the Wraithfighters flying in a triangular formation (hence the army name), alternating between two casting conceal over the Spectre Units (and Farseer and Autarch since they'll be with them), and one casting Reveal on whatever needs to be revealed, while the Spectres sit at 12+" using the Altaioc trait, Conceal, and holo-fields to put themselves at -3 to hit. The Wave Serpent is just for heavy fire support, and getting the Autarch and Farseer (and first squad of Spectres) into position during the first round of the game.
    You can't double cast powers. Also Forge World.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Is it practicable to use the "Space Marine Plasma Guns" or "Space Marine Meltaguns" kits on Guardsmen?

I'm guessing it would be fairly easy with Catachans (just snip off the SM hand and attach them the same way you would with standard Catachan weapons, with a bit of extra filing/green stuff if necessary).

Or are they the wrong size or shape for that to work?

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Ultramarines; Guilliman and massive amounts of ranged firepower (Scouts, Devastators, Hellblasters, Razorbacks, Stormravens).
    Raven Guard; Ranged firepower; Long range and mid-range (Scouts, Devastators, Hellblasters, Aggressors).
    Blood Angels; SUA spam with Melee units.
    Grey Knights; SUA spam with Ranged units.

Codex AM; Massive hordes. Leman Russes. Psyker spam. SUA spam. AM are so good they can practically run anything they want - in any combination - and still win.
    Sisters; Grey Knights but also not quite as good, but also sometimes better. Grey Knights have an extremely strong opening game, but quickly lose steam as only one unit can manifest Gate of Infinity per turn. Sisters hopefully will run around in their Rhinos.
    AdMech; Infantry spam. Often accompanied by Imperial Knights.

Chaos Space Marines; SUA spam with Melee units. And Magnus or Mortarion.
    Daemons; Brimstone spam.
    Death Guard; Mortarion (and Epidemius, depending on meta's rules). Typhus and Poxwalker spam.

Orks; Boyz spam.

Drukhari/Ynnari; Boats.
    Harlequins/Ynnari; Different boats.
    Craftworld; TBD. But currently Shuriken spam.

Tyranids; Massive hordes and SUA spam.
    Genestealer Cults; Medium 'hordes', and SUA spam.

+ All armies with cheap Psykers, are taking them in great numbers.
    Eh? Giving everyone -3 to hit from 12"+ makes me more or less immune to conscript/infantry blobs. Anything that hits on a 4+ just can't hit me, and 3+s (Marines, termies, and such) only hit on 6s, and even 2+ folks like Guilliman hit on 5s. That looks like most of your issues, though I will acknowledge that it's a bit weak to auto-hits like Smite and flamers.

EDIT: Also, what are SUAs?

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    You can't double cast powers. Also Forge World.
    Actually, you can. The rule is "A Psyker cannot attempt to manifest the same psychic power more than once in a turn." Unless there's an FAQ overruling that that I'm not aware of, that just keeps me from, say, manifesting Doom twice with my Farseer, not separate psykers casting the same ability.
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2017-10-21 at 01:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Eh? Giving everyone -3 to hit from 12"+ makes me more or less immune to conscript/infantry blobs. Anything that hits on a 4+ just can't hit me, and 3+s (Marines, termies, and such) only hit on 6s, and even 2+ folks like Guilliman hit on 5s. That looks like most of your issues, though I will acknowledge that it's a bit weak to auto-hits like Smite and flamers.

Actually, you can. The rule is "A Psyker cannot attempt to manifest the same psychic power more than once in a turn." Unless there's an FAQ overruling that that I'm not aware of, that just keeps me from, say, manifesting Doom twice with my Farseer, not separate psykers casting the same ability.
    I don't know what SUA actually stands for but it refers to units showing up from reserves anywhere on the board. Basically Deep Strike.

Page 215 under Matched Play rules.
    Psychic Focus: With the exception of Smite, each power can only be attempted once per turn, rather once per psyker per turn.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

Look in the Matched Play rules (IE, the rules everyone plays by because otherwise things get messy), under Matched Play Mission Rules, page 215. There are several important rules there, of which the limitation on repeating Psychic Powers (more to prevent "My entire army charges turn 1" Chaos than anything, I expect) is one.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    Look in the Matched Play rules (IE, the rules everyone plays by because otherwise things get messy), under Matched Play Mission Rules, page 215. There are several important rules there, of which the limitation on repeating Psychic Powers (more to prevent "My entire army charges turn 1" Chaos than anything, I expect) is one.
    Vortex of doom on your entire army.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, okay. I was looking at the rules for the Psychic phase. So do Conceal and Reveal count as the same power, then?

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, okay. I was looking at the rules for the Psychic phase. So do Conceal and Reveal count as the same power, then?
    Oddly no. You can cast both Conceal and Reveal in the same turn, even though it's technically the same power just with different effects. But you can't do Conceal or Reveal twice.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Is it practicable to use the "Space Marine Plasma Guns" or "Space Marine Meltaguns" kits on Guardsmen?

I'm guessing it would be fairly easy with Catachans (just snip off the SM hand and attach them the same way you would with standard Catachan weapons, with a bit of extra filing/green stuff if necessary).

I have slapped a space marine rocket launcher onto a Catachan and painted the armor flesh tone and it blended in fine, so I bet most special weapons will work fine, alternatively: try a third party bit maker like Mad Robot
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

12. - Top - End - #372
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post

They work fine. I slapped the meltaguns on a bunch of Cadians to make veterans years ago and the only issue is that metal guns on plastic models are really front-heavy and like to tip.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

I may be entirely wrong on this, but given context, I believe SUA stands for "Set Up Anywhere". I've never actually seen it in full, though, so that's just my inference.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I may be entirely wrong on this, but given context, I believe SUA stands for "Set Up Anywhere". I've never actually seen it in full, though, so that's just my inference.
    You are correct. It's most often SUA-9", but there are some exceptions.
    Looking back on sanity from the other side, and laughing really loudly

"In the whole of oWOD, there are only five normal people not somehow tied to the great supernatural conspiracy, and three of them were Elvis."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    If Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Bowl of Petunias avatar by Rincewind

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't know what SUA actually stands for but it refers to units showing up from reserves anywhere on the board. Basically Deep Strike.
    I like how you got real close; 'Showing Up from reserves Anywhere'. But also pretended to not know. It's not Deep Strike. Scouts dont Deep Strike, neither does anything using the 1 CP Stratagem. Neither do Wolf Scouts or Tallarn IG. Genestealer Cults definitely don't.

The phrases 'Deep Strike', 'Infiltrate' and 'Outflank' only mean something to people who played pre-8th Ed.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

Still got two boxes of Skitarii to put together.... Wondering if I should do 30 rangers, 30 vanguard and use the Stygies doctrine or do 50 vanguard and 10 rangers and use graia....
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    I like how you got real close; 'Showing Up from reserves Anywhere'. But also pretended to not know. It's not Deep Strike. Scouts dont Deep Strike, neither does anything using the 1 CP Stratagem. Neither do Wolf Scouts or Tallarn IG. Genestealer Cults definitely don't.

The phrases 'Deep Strike', 'Infiltrate' and 'Outflank' only mean something to people who played pre-8th Ed.
    It's not like I didn't know what it meant, I just didn't know what it stood for.

Yeah, it's not perfectly accurate to call it Deep Strike or ect. That's why I described it first.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It's not like I didn't know what it meant, I just didn't know what it stood for.
    To which you then guessed pretty much the exact right answer.

Winner (Overall) of a tournament on the weekend...

Spoiler: Chaos Marines
    Show
    Alpha Legion, Battalion The best one.
    Dark Apostle
    Exalted Champion

Cultists (x40)
    Cultists (x40)
    Cultists (x40)
    Cultists (x40)

Berzerkers (x18)

Kharybdis Assault Claw - Forge World, basically irreplaceable.

Black Legion, Supreme Command 'Cause Abaddon.
    (W) Abaddon the Despoiler
    Malefic Lord
    Malefic Lord
    Malefic Lord
    Malefic Lord More FW, also irreplaceable.

Death Guard, Patrol See below.
    Typhus
    Poxwalkers (x10)

Because the army has a Death Guard Detachment, it's able to use Death Guard Stratagems. All those Cultists are Poxwalkers, now.

Tell me again how Warhammer World's (Heat 1) results are a lulz grenade against the 'over-reaction' to hordes.
    User of the list also says that it wasn't fun to play - if that means anything to people.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2017-10-22 at 04:09 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

The Supreme command can't be black legion, as the malefic lords are not black legion.

Also, not sold on spending the effort to get the DG stratagem

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    The Supreme command can't be black legion, as the malefic lords are not black legion.
    You're correct. Turns out I also wrote it down wrong, and I assumed it was Black Legion 'cause Abaddon is in it.
    Turns out it's just regular <Chaos>.

Also, not sold on spending the effort to get the DG stratagem
    Well, you're wrong. Results speak for themselves, and everyone has been saying how good Poxwalkers are from the start. Their only problem being that they come out of the Death Guard book, which isn't very good. Due to bad wording on certain Stratagems (the AM Cover Save one springs to mind), if you could take Poxwalkers, except not have them out of the DG book, that would be really, really good...Oh, the Stratagem is badly worded? Fantastic. Oh, and you get Typhus anyway.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Was that a local tournament?

Funnily enough I don't think the problem is with Poxwalkers (at least not in that list) or with the Dead Walk stratagem. It's Cloud of Flies that lets that list work, else you just shoot the 10 Poxwalkers first. Cloud of Flies is way too cheap at 1 CP.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Was that a local tournament?
    City tournament, nowhere near me.

It's Cloud of Flies that lets that list work, else you just shoot the 10 Poxwalkers first. Cloud of Flies is way too cheap at 1 CP.
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Dead Walk and Cloud are both 1 CP each. The list has 9 to play with.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

I'll let you know more tournament results Cheese, a friend's friend is borrowing his World Eater army.

At this point, I'm ready to just say screw it and play Thousand Sons. Except the Tsons list I have planned isn't spam, so it'll probably fail.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Summary Execution's been nerfed into only a re-roll. Doesn't fix any of the structural problems with hordes, instead merely kicking Guard Conscript Hordes as a single build in the sack.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

Well, Send in the Next Wave now sucks, too.

Conscripts are no longer a thing, what with Commissars sucking, and that getting tossed out, it seems.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Summary Execution's been nerfed into only a re-roll. Doesn't fix any of the structural problems with hordes, instead merely kicking Guard Conscript Hordes as a single build in the sack.
    Send in the Next Wave! costing points is also real bad.

"You have to nerf Commissars."
    We nerfed Conscripts you guys, is that what you wanted!?
    Also we actually kind of made Conscripts better, oops. Since it turns out Orders wasn't the reason people were taking them.
    "No [poop]. You have to nerf Commissars."

Infantry are a joke, now. Unless they're Heavy Weapon Teams or Special Weapons units. MTs can SUA and Leman Russes do the rest.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2017-10-22 at 12:06 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #387
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Regular infantry squads are still strong hordes... They are just on par with all the other hordes instead of way better like conscript/commissar was.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post

My god, that took how long? And of course they over did it cuz they cant go from OP to decent, they have to go from Op to Crapsack.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaktan View Post
    Regular infantry squads are still strong hordes... They are just on par with all the other hordes instead of way better like conscript/commissar was.
    No, all hordes (except cultists, cuz they're a gimmick for Chaos, lets be real) have a way to mitigate Battle Shock. Guard no longer have theirs.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2017-10-22 at 12:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

29. - Top - End - #389
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Its called only having 10 guys in a squad. And being 2/3 the price or otherwise way better than any other horde.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yaktan View Post
    Its called only having 10 guys in a squad. And being 2/3 the price or otherwise way better than any other horde.
    Have fun taking objectives with your 10 man squad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel