New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXXII: I Got 99 Guardsmen and Morale Killed One.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Demiurge View Post
    So Iyanden's trait is essentially the Imperial Guard's Valhallan trait. Exact same thing, really.

What was a pretty decent trait for a hordes army seems to be a fairly powerful one for the relatively elite Eldar. Be interesting to see if there are any in there that can eclipse this one.

Also interesting to see them limiting it to five craftworlds. Not as many options for space elves...
    Well there aren't as many Space Elves to go around. 5 though?

Bein-Tan
    Ulthwe
    Illyadan
    Altoric
    Samn-Hein

Yeah, looks about right. There really aren't any other ones people care about. Though I'm sad they didn't have Corsairs and Ynnari in this codex.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXXII: I Got 99 Guardsmen and Morale Killed One.

How useful is the Hydra/Wyvern? Easy to magnetize? Got taken apart by a Flyer/Fly heavy list last game night, so being able to counter that would be handy.

Are Basilisk and heavy weapon teams worth taking? Or should I stick the heavy weapons in guard squads?
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it wrong that I kind of wanted a couple of Basilisk, just for the big multi-table games at the LGS? Set up an artillery battery behind a screen of conscripts at one end of the table. Bomb the heck out of anyone close to me first and then just start shelling people downrange.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

4. - Top - End - #244

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Is it wrong that I kind of wanted a couple of Basilisk, just for the big multi-table games at the LGS? Set up an artillery battery behind a screen of conscripts at one end of the table. Bomb the heck out of anyone close to me first and then just start shelling people downrange.
    Not at all, an artillery battery just sounds fluffy and fun.

Better yet, if it's a multi team game, solicit bribes in return for not firing on them/firing on their biggest threat.
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demon 997 View Post
    Not at all, an artillery battery just sounds fluffy and fun.

Better yet, if it's a multi team game, solicit bribes in return for not firing on them/firing on their biggest threat.
    Generally they seem to split up along the lines of Imperium on one side an EVERYTHING ELSE on the other.

During the opening night for 8th, I was facing down a combined force of Dark Eldar, Orks, and Tau. With the Ork player sheilding the Tau from Melee and the Dark Eldar getting wrecked by some Dark Angels on bikes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Demiurge View Post
    What was a pretty decent trait for a hordes army seems to be a fairly powerful one for the relatively elite Eldar.
    It just makes Guardian spam even stronger. The fact that it isn't tied to a Character like Guard, means that you can't stop it.

Be interesting to see if there are any in there that can eclipse this one.
    Not for Guardians - one of the best Troops in the game, not just by Faction.
    For MSU Leadership 8/9 units, Morale tests don't mean anything and there will absolutely be better Traits for Aspect units.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    It just makes Guardian spam even stronger. The fact that it isn't tied to a Character like Guard, means that you can't stop it.
    Consequently i feel it makes Sister of Battle an even better choice for Imperium armies, primarily because they are very good at wiping out units (hello Double Shooting Phase) and thats what that trait is forcing you to do. I mean Guard will still drown them in corpses and Ad Mech have sufficient firepower, this is a swift kick in the nuts for Space Marines though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Just means more hellblasters.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Just means more hellblasters.
    Not really, Space Marines are already gearing up to deal with hordes, they just use the same tools (hurricane bolters, twin assault cannons, ect) on the Guardians.

Also, there was already a character who did the same thing, the Avatar. If you are running Guardian Spam on foot, then I don't know why you wouldn't be taking him already, the Avatar is pretty good at killing pretty much anything that gets within 12 inches of him
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demon 997 View Post
    How useful is the Hydra/Wyvern? Easy to magnetize? Got taken apart by a Flyer/Fly heavy list last game night, so being able to counter that would be handy.
    Not terrible to magnitize w/ some forethought, big difference is ammo hoppers and long tubes/barrels on the hydra. A little trimming on the barrels and you could fit them into the standard wyvern gun opening (might be able to just pressure fit in if you wanted. Hoppers probably aren't worth magnetizing, doubt anyone would notice or care.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Also, there was already a character who did the same thing, the Avatar.
    Army-wide abilities 'for free', are vastly better than auras centered on models that you have to pay points for.

If you are running Guardian Spam on foot, then I don't know why you wouldn't be taking him already...
    And now you don't have to, and you can spend those points on other things. Like The Yncarne, instead.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

So apparently the winner of the first heat of the Grand Tourney was Rowboat Girlyman, tiberius + 6 tactical squads with razorbacks and a Stormraven. I find this rather funny considering some the hypebole surrounding the meta.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

What was the majority of lists?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

What grand turny was that exactly?

Because they quite often have a tendency to make up their own rules, and these throw the "vanilla meta" out the window quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Firbolg in the Playground

I believe he's referring to the Grand Tourney at Warhammer World that's going on right now. I seriously doubt Warhammer World is changing the rules much, if at all.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Army-wide abilities 'for free', are vastly better than auras centered on models that you have to pay points for.

And now you don't have to, and you can spend those points on other things. Like The Yncarne, instead.
    True, but there's a pretty big difference between 'now I don't need the Avatar' and 'now I can do something I couldn't do at all'.

Yncarne does the same thing anyways. Kinda. He gives a better bonus since you also get the 6+++, but it's also only a 6 inch aura and he can't start on the board. I'd say the Yncarne is better, but it also is more points, so that makes sense. Though you might not be able to take Ynnari with Illyaden depending how they interact with the <Craftworld> rules.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    So apparently the winner of the first heat of the Grand Tourney was...
    The winner is meaningless without comparison to the lists it was up against.

Show me the horde list that it supposedly would have been up against. I see not a single Sniper in the list, nor do I see Ultramarine Devastators spamming Missile Launchers. I don't see Tigurius combined with Assault Centurions or Hammernators. I see a list that by right, should get rolled.
    Because I've seen that list 'out the real world' and it usually doesn't even place in the Top 8. That list is not difficult for players to have, especially off the back of 7th where Space Marine players already have a Gladius to go.

I find this rather funny considering some the hypebole surrounding the meta.
    Show me the other 14 lists so I can see or try and figure out why it won.

It's also to remember that it was 'Heat 1', not the GT. The actual GT isn't until some time next year. How 'bout we try again when power creep is in full force due to Codecies trying to top each other.

It's Eternal War. So we already know that it's massively different from the ITC. Another thing is that the Objective Secured rule isn't in place. As this is a Warhammer World event, and therefore only official rules are allowed. Objective Secured isn't an official part of the rules, yet. If anyone knows, tell me if the Guard Codex was legal at the time, with whatever their version of ObSec is.

...What I see is an almost certainly vetted event at Warhammer World. What I don't see is the lists that the winner was up against and why/how it won. That Stormraven configuration is a trainwreck. I have almost that exact list sitting in my case right now (I had a Gladius in 7th, I was ready to go on the net-list). I've been getting rolled using it, because it's a bad list that doesn't work when everyone has Objective Secured - as per ITC rules - not just five Codecies that happen to have come out first.

I expect Heat 2 to be turned on its head. If it's not, then Warhammer World Tournaments are events for casuals. Not a bad thing, in itself. But it's a meta, not The meta.

Contrast the winner of Warhammer World, with the winners of ITC events, and get back to me.

EDIT:
    This was a list that won an event not too long ago...

Spoiler: Orks
    Show
    Battalion Detachment
    Ghazgkull Thraka
    Big Mek on Bike - Force Field
    Weirdboy

Boyz (x30)
    Boyz (x30)
    Boyz (x30) Total x120.

Kannons (x2)
    Kannons (x2)
    Kannon

Supreme Command Detachment
    Weirdboy
    Weirdboy
    Weirdboy
    Weirdboy
    Weirdboy
    Mad Dok Grotsnik

Supreme Command Detachment
    Boss Snikrot
    Weirdboy
    Weirdboy
    Weirdboy Total x9
    Zhadsnark Da Ripper - Forge World, but easily replaceable.
    Kommandos (x12); Burnas & Big Choppa

When Guard get nerfed, you play exactly the same thing, just with Orks who aren't nerfed.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2017-10-16 at 11:24 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #258
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    True, but there's a pretty big difference between 'now I don't need the Avatar' and 'now I can do something I couldn't do at all'.

Yncarne does the same thing anyways. Kinda. He gives a better bonus since you also get the 6+++, but it's also only a 6 inch aura and he can't start on the board. I'd say the Yncarne is better, but it also is more points, so that makes sense. Though you might not be able to take Ynnari with Illyaden depending how they interact with the <Craftworld> rules.
    You can take a Ynnarri detachment in a craftworld army, so even if Ynnari units can't be Iyanden the two can show up together.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Speaking of long range fire power, GWs around here used to host an event called 'Tanks-Giving', and would phone each other up to fire hunter killer missiles to other store's events, up and down the east coast.
    ~ZA

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by ZeltArruin View Post
    Speaking of long range fire power, GWs around here used to host an event called 'Tanks-Giving', and would phone each other up to fire hunter killer missiles to other store's events, up and down the east coast.
    I love these sort of events. Reminds me of an apocalypse event where one guy rocked up to a gw with a whole heap of armour and no one opposed him so he fired all of his death strike missiles and Hunter killers at a another store. I was at the other store. Was pretty hilarious seeing all the death strikes hit.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky S View Post
    I love these sort of events. Reminds me of an apocalypse event where one guy rocked up to a gw with a whole heap of armour and no one opposed him so he fired all of his death strike missiles and Hunter killers at a another store...
    I remember we had something similar. We were playing a good, evenly matched game, then out of nowhere the Blackshirt said that a whole bunch of things just died because another store who weren't even part of the game, said so. The game then swung massively over to the side that didn't get hit by Vortex Missiles, and the day was ruined for no reason.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

22. - Top - End - #262

I remember we had something similar. We were playing a good, evenly matched game, then out of nowhere the Blackshirt said that a whole bunch of things just died because another store who weren't even part of the game, said so. The game then swung massively over to the side that didn't get hit by Vortex Missiles, and the day was ruined for no reason.
    Ah that's a bit rubbish, at least with our game it was fairly even. The Hunter killers took down a few carnifexs but the death strikes punched holes in both forces.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-3/

Ulthwe focus today. Always love black color schemes.

Rule is 6+ FNP, so decent but nothing special. Might make Ulthwe Wraith units better than Iyanden, amusingly.

1CP Ulthwe stratagem to give Guardians +1 to hit for one Shooting or Fight Phase. I guess that's fairly good, if you're using big Guardian units?

1CP general Eldar stratagem to give Guardians a 4++ in one Shooting Phase. I guess if you have a big unit of them hanging out in the middle of the board? Seems odd but alright I guess.

Eldrad solo kit in plastic alongside Codex.

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post

Rule is 6+ FNP, so decent but nothing special. Might make Ulthwe Wraith units better than Iyanden, amusingly.

1CP Ulthwe stratagem to give Guardians +1 to hit for one Shooting or Fight Phase. I guess that's fairly good, if you're using big Guardian units?

1CP general Eldar stratagem to give Guardians a 4++ in one Shooting Phase. I guess if you have a big unit of them hanging out in the middle of the board? Seems odd but alright I guess.

Another big one: Farseers get a character targeting power with Mind War. Like the article calls out, pick up some leadership dropping abilities and you can potentially gib an annoying commissar or other character model.
    Currently Playing:
    Nothing at the moment.

Nova avatar courtesy of the ever awesome LCP.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Counters to linchpin characters, just as the game needed.

Not a great counter mind you, if you are within 18" already, the linchpin is either doing horribly, or of the type that wants to smash your face.

2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

That's lame. The one time that happened to a buddy, both players were asked if they accepted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post

Well I'm disappointed, the 6+ FNP is pretty boring all things considered. Good, sure. But it's been done in pretty much every faction except Guard.

Depends if you're taking Wraithlords, then I think Iyanden is better.

Combined, those two stratagems makes for a really lethal guardian unit that has decent durability. Better then most aspect warriors in fact.

Autarch's getting command points back on a 6 is nice.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Only if warlord though, so it's nice but not amazing.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Only if warlord though, so it's nice but not amazing.
    Well it depends on the Warlord traits we get, but right now there isn't too much of a reason to not make the Autarch your warlord. Well, I guess it's an indirect nerf to Ynnari since they have to have a special character as their warlord.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, that's totally unfair, especially when you have plenty of Terminators, or Drop Pods, or jump packs that could have, by all rights, landed right next to their intercontinental missile launchers, but couldn't because you, the player, weren't in the same building.