New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Do you ever regret old character backstories?

Yes. Mostly since it usually takes me a few sessions to really get 'into the head' of my character, and sometimes the personality I wind up playing as doesn't quite mesh with the backstory.

Or I realize something about the DM's style or the setting that wasn't disclosed earlier, and I wish my backstory was different since there's a conflict between playing the character authentically and the game's style or the system mechanics for being effective.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

I think my last DM regretted this concept. He was playing his own campaign setting and let us go wild on character creation with a decent backstory. I write short stories quite a bit and he wasn't aware of this so I handed him a 15 page narrative backstory for my character, a dwarven barbarian/Berserker privateer, essentially a troll slayer from warhammer, complete with dwarven citadels, elemental steam powered ironclads with bombards fighting the elven navy which included fantasy aircraft carriers with griffins and pegasi riders. The dwarven ships didn't have aerial mounts but instead had steam powered rapid firing ballista for anti-air.

His purpose was to let us help color in some of the details of his world. Not my fault he wasn't more specific on technology available. I guess he expected a dwarven miner fighting orks or a simple elven ranger smelling flowers in the forest story.
    Last edited by Corsair14; 2017-10-13 at 01:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    That's just Craft (sewing) with heckish thread.
    I took it as a clerical curse rather than crafting.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNoNose View Post
    I took it as a clerical curse rather than crafting.
    A Clerical curse is indistinguishable from any other curse, it's just available slightly earlier.

*nods in wise understanding*

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I don't even remember what my first elf wizard (mention above) had as a last name, but it had dark in it. Darkwood, Darkblade, Darkstar? Something stupid like that.
    I had a thief named "Shadow" and another named "Lightfoot". And a ranger with the original name "Tracker".

Most of my backstories remain written only in my imagination, never committed to paper or digital, and those that are written down are generally written plainly and angstlessly enough not to cause embarrassment. One of my short stories, though.... ugh! I had been reading A Tale of Two Cities in school, and man was my writing terrible! I no longer have hardcopy of it, but the worst bits live on in my memory.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #36

DwarfClericGuy

A Clerical curse is indistinguishable from any other curse, it's just available slightly earlier.

*nods in wise understanding*
    Guess we know where man of the cloth comes from now!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNoNose View Post
    Guess we know where man of the cloth comes from now!
    "Darning your holes to save your soles."

8. - Top - End - #38

DwarfClericGuy

"Darning your holes to save your soles."
    /you win. ::applause::

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Hm, good question. Actually, I've always been pretty good at character backstories (even if I say so myself ). Even my first teenage effort (Vampire the Masquerade for me and my edgelord friends) was pretty good, an elder Nosferatu vampires who had ran communications for the french resistance, and had been machinegunned into torpor by the Nazis. He'd been badly hurt, which explained his relative weakness for his generation.

More recently, I basically used Sauron's backstory - a reborn LE demigod in fair form who was worming his way back into society as an elven smith who liked to offer gifts, using the Cleric of the Forge from 5th ed.

Thing is, the 1shot I put him in for turned out to be a Kobold Trapfest (literally, as in a festival celebrating traps), and I ended up toboganning down a pipe being chased by a gelatinous ooze, which whilst hilarious didn't really suit the character's sinister manipulation focus!
    Last edited by Sinewmire; 2017-10-18 at 08:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

I actually think my best characters were those that didn't so much have a backstory as a general concept. Their story and personally naturally developed on their own, and in the end they end up being both more whole and natural in the world and with the party.
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2017-10-18 at 06:07 PM.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I've had some juvenile concepts and the usual power fantasies, but those usually didn't have a ton of backstory to them.

The "everything with leather wings" period is a bit embarrassing.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    This personality is good for any campaign!
    Thanks, Now I want to play Wolfstorm Venomskin, a Half Orc Shadow Monk whose family members got killed by family members.

Damn you uncle Ravenfury! The only thing I want for christmas is your severed head on top of the tree!

The charts work.
    Last edited by mig el pig; 2017-10-20 at 04:47 AM.