New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Adamantine Meteor Showers-Dark Sun Themed Campaign Log

There is a legitimate reason for my vanishing. It is profound and life altering. I reached a crisis point in my life as both a human being and a father. I have no idea how I reached this point or what transpired that I found myself staring into this soul crushing abyss.

So here it is...I am now the embarrassing father failing to play video games. I tried to play Fortnite. The groaning sighs of my tween lamenting my nearly instant and embarrassing death cut me to my core. I suddenly felt old and slow. I tried to get better...but epic fail after epic fail piled up. I scored a legendary grenade launcher two minutes into a solo match and was killed by a pistol less than twenty seconds later as i fumbled to switch from pickaxe and building mode back to the bazooka.

So instead of writing i wake up early seeking some measure of redemption and improvement.

Overly dramatic? Yes. But good god is this also true.
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman26 View Post
    There is a legitimate reason for my vanishing. It is profound and life altering. I reached a crisis point in my life as both a human being and a father. I have no idea how I reached this point or what transpired that I found myself staring into this soul crushing abyss.

So here it is...I am now the embarrassing father failing to play video games. I tried to play Fortnite. The groaning sighs of my tween lamenting my nearly instant and embarrassing death cut me to my core. I suddenly felt old and slow. I tried to get better...but epic fail after epic fail piled up. I scored a legendary grenade launcher two minutes into a solo match and was killed by a pistol less than twenty seconds later as i fumbled to switch from pickaxe and building mode back to the bazooka.

So instead of writing i wake up early seeking some measure of redemption and improvement.

I know nothing about tweens (what are they exactly?) but my computer gaming mainly focuses on sniping rather than melee, because my reactions aren't what they used to be. Skyrim is okay for that, you can melee a bit without needing super reactions, but bows are almost a superpower, you need to craft to get the most from them, but it's doable. Fallout New Vegas is also a very good game. Check out the "gaming (other)" forum for other ideas.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forum...Gaming-(Other)
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-08-05 at 11:34 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

Hey man, no harm no foul, as long as you and yours are doing well.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

'Sigh'. I'll just put these stolen cattle back, then...

In all seriousness, though, it's fine. I was happy before I read your campaign logs, so I'll be happy if you decide to refocus on your life and your family.

Plus, you still have half a dozen completed campaign journals for me to reread if I get bored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No, it's obviously a darker and edgier version of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

GW

CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

That Sinking Feeling:

Spoiler: General
    Show
    After Tyr’s exit the remaining dwarves, half giants along with Rudzhi and Brega go into overtime reinforcing the main vessel and setting up extensive cordons and sentries to protect the mini fleet. On our end we are dead set on keeping the two dragons on the island. We rework the tunnel leading from our bunker to their flagship and manage to rig a spike through the hull from below. Our intent is to rip out the bottom when they drag it back to the water. The two dragons take dragon form and while Brega orders all remaining minions aboard the flagship Rudzhi releases the undead from their pen. Once the island is swarmed with undead Brega proceeds to murder every single living creature aboard the flagship with a mass defiling and then shoves the bodies overboard. He and Rudzhi take up a pair of massive chains and the proceed to shove off the large vessel into the water. They make it a few hundred yards and then the ship begins to founder. They immediately return to dragon form and try to drag it back to shore. IN that regards they fail miserably and the ship sinks. Brega circles back to the shore and begins herding the undead again. Rudzhi makes the shore and reverts to human form. He is close enough to our underground tunnel that we decide to chance it.

We goad him to approaching the position where the spike was and then use stone shape to pull the rug out from under him and then immediately close it back it up. He ends up in a position underground with the monk grappling him from behind with the elemental and the rest of us filling his face with prepared attacks. We crudely manage to shiv him and pin him down while stabbing him repeatedly. He is unconscious and bleeding out when we feel the ground shake above us and we assume Brega landed. Little Mountain kicks the bleeding Rudzhi once more in the face and then we hightail it back through the tunnel trying to collapse it as we go.

Brega is finally wise to our hijinks and follows us from above. We realize this is more or less nut up or shut up time. No more sneaking. We ready every missile weapon we can and put a spear tipped with adamantine in the ranger’s hands. The dragon finds the bunker and it’s camouflaged door and proceeds to lace the interior with a gout of dragonfire. The way we angled down we are afforded some protection and while singed we survive. With him having located the bunker we do an about face and split up, sending the dwarf and his elemental back down the tunnel with Mercutio. The rest of us wait at the bunker. The dragon takes the bait and follows Little Mountain back to the island.

We manage to emerge from the bunker and start sending volleys at the dragon. We scatter and begin skulking amidst the rocks and shallows. Most of the undead have been herded but not all. With half a dozen smaller vessels still floating we begin trying to reach different ships and hiding, trying to keep the dragon moving and distracted. The cat and mouse pays off as the dragon seems to be more and agitated and tired. Four of the six ships are sunk or burnt out, when the Dragon finally shifts back to human form, slumped over and heaving for air. We swarm him in the shallow waters and after nearly getting obliterated by a defilement, we manage to tackle him into the water. The monk manages to outlast the dragon and we end up drowning him. I gloss this over a bit, but we got torched bad…this was a nail biter.
    Paranoia outrides caution and we pull the undead still roaming away and pull the Inquisitor from beneath the sands, Skarlax finishes him off.

Mercutio: Now what. We can’t stay here, and we don’t have much of a way to leave. If Tyr comes back we are toast.
    Little Mountain: We need to man of these the two floating ships and try to limp out of here.
    Skarlax: Guys behind us…

Limping towards us and being completely ignored by the undead guardians is Yamur. Or what is left of him. He is so gaunt, life seems impossible to reside within his frame.

Yamur: I can make contact with my kin. They will find us.

The Fire Giant is far easier to lift now and his heat aura is more like a dull fever. We scrounge what meager supplies we can and outfit one of the two ships as best as we are able. Getting clear of the island is fairly easy, but actually navigating proves tougher. Yamur verbally guides us as best we are able. The following morning we put every beneficial spell we can on the fire giant and get him to a point where he can assist. By day five we are hungry and dehydrated. By day seven we are in mortal danger. By the seventh evening a dreadnaught intercepts us and we are “rescued”.

Rescued in the sense that we are told the Fire Giants have mobilized in force and are heading for the mainland. We are pressed into reaching out to each of the tribes and told to deliver an ultimatum…unify behind the forces of Brymig or be killed.

The Wemic’s decide to throw in their lot behind the Giants and agree to meet at the outskirts of Tyr in force. The Sharakim are leery but decide to act and take our word and what evidence we can provide as to the nature of the Kings. The Centaurs refuse to mobilize but will avoid any interference. The Halflings resist without a treaty in place and when of the Fire Giants accompanying us kills their three most respected leaders they change their tune and agree to help. The Muls mobilize in force and follow the turning tide.
    A hodgepodge army arrives at the gates of Tyr with the formidable Fire Giant Chieftain at their front. The City milita, a contingent of Cavern Wind dwarf warriors and the remaining Half Giant Praetorian are all assembled before the City Gates. The King of Tyr stands at their front unarmed and unmounted.

Tyr: You have picked an ominous day to present yourselves and drag your pitiful selves from the hole you crawled into.

Brymig: Surrender the city and offer your head for my axe and we let the population live serpent traitor. Otherwise blood will stain the sands.

Without a word of response Tyr simply shifts into his titanic draconic form and the shocked gasps and terror are answer enough for all involved. As the gasps die out it is revealed that his whole body in covered in custom fitted adamantine plate armor, save for the gaps where we trashed some of his pieces. Thunderclouds erupt from nowhere and within moments rain begins to fall.

Tyr launches himself at the Fire Giant Chief and his champions all boldly stand their ground and engage the massive dragon. All hell breaks loose. The dragon’s breath is ignored by the Fire Giants but whole formations of the other tribes are incinerated in massive swathes. The Giants seem to have the edge from sheer numbers and we are thinking we might have a chance. If Tyr goes down we outnumber the militia, the dwarves and giants seem to have a change of heart and we are confident they will retreat or disengage if the dragon goes down.

There are five tribes of substantial strength, and multitudes of smaller factions. The core five tribes of note are the Wemics (Centaurs but with lion in place of horse) led by Padalan. The Wemics loathe Tyr for previous attempts at exterminating their race, but bear strong trade relationships with Drexja.

The second free tribe is the Sharakim (Evolved Orcs…sophisticated and intelligent but still powerful). They have openly spoke of overthrowing the usurpers and tyrants of each city but will not attempt such an endeavor without the unified support of the five tribes. The Sharakim are led by their Caliph Raheem.

The Third tribe is the Centaurs as led by Robostus. The Centaurs recognize the divinity of each ruler and refuse to make a play against a King, unless it revealed that they follow the path of the dragon and are proven defilers.

Fourth are the Halflings…feral nomads more savage than most remaining orcs. They are led by their warchief Splinter and crave a true recognized sovereign nation with freedom and autonomy. In essence they want borders of their territory ratified.

Lastly are the Muls, sterile half breeds of dwarf and human, so basically Half-Dwarves. Powerful and sturdy they were bred for labor and grunt work. Enough of them managed to buy their freedom that they managed to create an entire community. They are content to be left alone and wish no interference with the world as it stands. Their leader De-Hon is widely respected by each of the other tribal leaders and viewed as a trustworthy neutral element.

A huge spray of acid dissolves one of the Fire Giant Champions to nothingness, his crude adamantine weapons being the only things not evaporated. A heartbeat later and a second dragon swoops overhead, jet black and half the size of Tyr.

Mercutio: So much for hoping Drexja was not in on this.

The Second dragon and his breath weapon are swiftly turning the tide back. A clap of thunder diverts everyone’s attention as a massive object emitting tremendous heat and glowing gold pierces the sky and coming shrieking towards the earth.

Tyr: Drexja finish the giants! The intruder will require my full attention. Do so and all of Brega’s holding and lands are yours!

The Giants do their best to keep Tyr down but the acid spewing second dragon is too great a danger to ignore.

Mercutio: Focus on the smaller one. Give the giant a shot.

We harry the black dragon as best as we can. Enough arrows and bolting piercing his hide lead him to engaging us more directly and just when it looks like we are about to be blasted with the breath weapon a veritable meteor strikes dead center of a Mul Platoon. From the crater we see a third dragon, easily as large as Tyr and perhaps a third bigger. Every scale brilliant gold and his body much stockier and thicker of frame. He seems incredibly dazed and groggy.

Skarlax: Well now we are screwed.

Helio: Tyr don’t want him around so lets assume he aint reinforcement, but a foe.

Mercutio manages to throw up a Wall of Stone that diverts the Dragon King’s breath weapon…now suddenly a blast of cold. As the cold embrittles the stone we see a bunch of nearby humanoids seem to wither and die mid combat.

Oasis: The switch in breath weapon is drawing a hell of a lot of energy.

With suicidal desperation every faction throws their proverbial kitchen sink at the red and protecting the gold. It reaches a point where the gold manages to gather his wits about him and he focuses on Tyr. Within moments the two are pitched in fierce combat. Every last spell and ability is poured into the Black. Drexja manages to grapple Little Mountain and then hits him with a full bore acid breath. It doesn’t leave a body.

In riposte a Fire Giant greatsword…splits the black’s skull nearly in half with a brutal stroke.

Helio and Oasis directly attack the red and Helio manages to tip a wall of stone onto Tyr’s back. Doing so leaves him in full attack range and he gets torn to shreds. Two PC’s down. Mercutio stone shapes a city wall into a ramp and Skarlax full bore jumps onto the red’s back and lands a sneak attack through a hole in the armor with an adamantine dagger. He get’s flung off and manages to roll a 20 to evade the breath attack. It is enough time for the gold to fully gather itself and the Intruder overcomes the red and rips it’s head off. Almost immediately the Fire Giants begin to attack it. Crap.

The Praetorian and Cavern Wind dwarves all bug out. The remaining humanoid tribes band together and swarm against the Fire Giants who manage to badly wound the gold, but are driven back. There are heavy losses to every tribe, but we reach a temporary cease fire.

Grib: Brymig is dead. I now speak for the Giants. We can’t accept one serpent in place of another. Let us finish this.

Gold: I am no defiler, nor am I a sorcerer. I am a true dragon. Perhaps the last. I have been cut off from this world for too long and my return is an opportunity to turn things around.

Wemic: How can we possibly trust that?

Gold: I can show you.

The Gold limps to the body of Tyr (still in dragon form) and pushes him down…the body decaying before our eyes and sinking to the sand…well not exactly sand anymore…thick loamy soil. Trees erupt from the vanishing corpse and a small copse of palm trees and fronds sits in it’s place.

Gold: Give me time to mend the wounds on this world and I can change your lives for generations to come.

All agree that it can’t possibly be worse than what we endure currently.

Three Months pass and the Fire Giants have taken control of what once was Brega…they have formed an alliance with the Half Giants and are rebuilding a true city. The free tribes have turned Tyr into a unified neutral city for all. Drexja was taken control of by the Cavern Wind dwarves who paid off the Halfling with half the city to secure their control. A new uneasy political triad is formed but the Gold Dragon who chooses to remain nameless holds true to his word and begins to heal the world. Mercutio retreats to the now receding desert drawn back to the rocks and the whispers of the stone. Skarlax takes up a job basically as a mob capo…running several city blocks with organized crime. Oasis becomes an emissary working on trade relations between different cities and unifying them. Claws gets a job as a tracker and bounty hunter, seeking any who may still harbor draconic ambitions.

With self isolation stir crazy setting in decided to tie up some loose ends and get back to something I enjoy. Sharing our particular brand of hijinks.
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Lovely to see this wrapped up, thankyou!
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

With self isolation stir crazy setting in decided to tie up some loose ends and get back to something I enjoy. Sharing our particular brand of hijinks.
    That's a good idea, I think I have an unfinished journal or two myself laying around...

An entertaining read as always Kaveman.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals