New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Crucible

Quote Originally Posted by Armored Walrus View Post
    Marryn gives the leather-clad woman a shy smile. "Thank you, ma'am." She glances at Shaena, "Two trouts then, anything to drink? If you don't fancy ale or mead, there's water, or we might have a glass or two of today's milk left." She turns to Mohander, "Anything for you, Master Elf?"

After taking your order, noting down anything Mohander might order, she heads behind the bar and has a quick discussion with Tordif, then heads back to the kitchen.

The gnome stuffs his bar rag in his belt, gives his mustache a quick twist, and walks up to the party. "If 'tis rooms you do be after, you do be just in time. Such rooms as we boast be snatched up quickly this time o' the year. Won't lie, me, quarters in the Foaming Flagon do no be had for ary a copper. Five silver hawks an eve they be, an' no less. If you do be interested in a bargain, offer me this full month in advance an' I'll give some consideration."
    Shaena mulls over the prices a bit then looks to the others. Do you suppose we'll be back within the month? Might not be worth it if we're going to brave that wilderness.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kladams707 View Post
    Shaena mulls over the prices a bit then looks to the others. Do you suppose we'll be back within the month? Might not be worth it if we're going to brave that wilderness.
    Tordif pulls his bar rag back out from his belt and gives your table a quick swipe, "Me, I'll leave you to chew it over, eh?" With that, he positions himself back behind the bar.

Before long, Marryn emerges from the kitchen bearing two plates of fresh trout with sprigs of dill in melting butter on top. She places one in front of Kyra, and the other before Shaena, "Eat up while it's hot!" she says with a smile, and returns to her duties.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Returning the smile, Atas leaves Klemm to his playing, deciding to join the others at the table. Perhaps the bard will one day sing of the things Atas himself is going to accomplish within these lands? The thought amuses him somewhat. Fame is the last thing he is chasing, after all.

He shares what he has learned with the others, showing a particular interest in the giants to the north, though never suggesting that the group should check them out yet. "Their strength must be legendary. Not unlike your father's, Kyra." As he talks, he orders the soup and some water for himself, eagerly gulping both down as he takes large bites from the roots that come with it. The latter don't at all seem distasteful to him.

"I've funds to stay two nights. After that, I'll be sleeping outdoors whether we explore or not.

Still, where do you suppose we should start? The hauntings in the badlands and the swamp sound promising, given our employer, but it may just turn out to all be superstition."
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Iselshera Elkian
    1st Level Paladin

Iselshera had sat quietly for some time, taking in the new area. It seemed a lot more familiar than she was expecting. Maybe it'll be more different once they get underway. There had been very little information available on what to expect, and Atrius hadn't really made all that much information available. That's half the fun, though...go figure it all out.

She finally comes out of her reverie and responds to Atas. "I don't think a lot of us brought a lot of extra money. It will be nice to sleep in a bed for one night before we head out, though." She considers the options laid out by him. "Superstition or not...that's what we're here to determine. I say we start out there."
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-10-20 at 02:31 PM.
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

"I agree we should stay out of the swamp until we get a better feel for the land here. Badlands seem as good a place as any to start, though the mountain to the north would give us a good vantage point to get the lay of the land. I think the troubled farms are northward too," Mohander adds.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Tordif eagerly accepts your coin for one night's lodging, and drops it in his strongbox behind the bar. "Up these stairs here, you can take the first two rooms on the right. Do no be alarmed by the noises from the third floor, that do simply be the Red Lanterns plying their trade."

You pass the night comfortably enough, although your sleep is broken fairly frequently by the goings-on ten feet above your head. As the grey pre-dawn trickles into your room between the shutters, you all prepare yourselves for departure.

Hard biscuits, a few eggs, and a very few fresh berries greet you when you come down to the common room. You refresh yourselves and head out the door.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I need a navigator, a mapmaker if you want one, and I'll assume everyone else is simply staying alert for danger unless you tell me otherwise (foraging/herbcrafting). Whoever is the navigator will need to make one Wisdom(survival) check for me. I also need to knwo whether you are traveling along the river through the hills, or going back down the trail through the grasslands.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Once his nightly meditations are over, and he has eaten his poor, but filling breakfast, Atas meets the others at the town gates.

After it is decided that his skills as a tracker and years on the road make him best suited to lead the party into the wilderness, he goes ahead. For as long as possible, he keeps to the established paths through the grasslands, before striking out towards the badlands themselves.

Show
    Survival roll time! Here's hoping that investing in all that Wisdom was worth it.

(1d20+6)[14]
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

You set out from the Foaming Flagon with a clear goal in mind. The tent town is more lively this morning, with caravan drivers and guard, off-duty garrison troops, settlers and your fellow fortune-seekers conducting their business, despite threatening clouds looming in the sky above. A few steps from the door of the tavern two men overtake you, in the midst of a heated discussion. One is tall, clean-shaven with flowing blonde hair, the other stooped, muddy, with a few days' growth of beard on his tired-looking face.

"This is the third calf we've lost to these beasts since we come here last summer. If ye can't do somethin' about keepin' the peace Lord Mayor then why is we payin' yer taxes?" gripes the shorter man.

The taller one, an impatient expression on his face responds, "Of course, Mort, the welfare of our settlers is of paramount importance. I'll post a bounty on cockatrice heads later today. Gods know, there are enough 'adventurers' sleeping rough around here. Most of them will kill anything for the right price.."

The pair continue on ahead of you, the mayor obviously eager to convince the farmer that he's on his way somewhere important.

Pausing briefly for Atas to make a quick purchase - a small jar of honey, a sack of shriveled chestnuts, and a small keg of apples - you all head out onto the prairie under a quickly blackening sky, following the wide swath of mud and trampled weeds that marks the main trade road in this area. Only about half an hour into your march the skies open up and dump a driving rain on you. You do your best to make good time despite the slick ground and stiff winds.

Around the time you're about to call a short halt for lunch, having reached the point at which Atas confidently announces it's time to turn south, a small deer emerges from the waste-high grass a couple dozen yards east of you. From the looks of it, it may provide the party with a few days' worth of meat if it can be taken, dressed, and properly smoked once you stop for the evening.

Show
    You have encountered one deer! It is 64 feet from whomever is leading. It has not yet spotted you. No need to roll initiative, just let me know if you're going to do anything about it, or let it walk away.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohander

As everyone travels along the grassland path, Mohander roams through the grasslands though always in sight of the others - at least within his sight. He saw the others occasionally look about as if wondering where he'd gone off to, but he always returned though empty handed. "Not much to gather out here - too close to town I reckon. Game has been farmed already I'd expect."

As the're about to settle for the midday break, Mohander is about 30 feet out from the party in the middle of the grass when he spots the doe's black eyes peek up from the grass. Quietly he draws his crossbow and nocks a bolt. He slowly raises his head in the grass watching for signs of recognition from the rest of the party to see if anyone else has noticed the game.

Show
    Will try to move through the grass so we're coming at the deer from two angles.
    Stealth = (1d20+8)[19]
    Attack = (1d20+6)[9]
    Damage = (1d8+4)[11]

Survival re: dressing if needed: (1d20+3)[17]

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Almost before the rest of the party is aware of what is happening, Mohander launches a crossbow bolt at the deer. The bolt enters its neck and explodes out the other side. The deer makes a desperate attempt to bound away, but drops into a mud puddle after a few steps. A pair of does who had been waiting in the tufts of grass behind her go leaping away through the driving rain at top speed.

Mohander skillfully dresses the deer, selecting the choicest cuts of meat to carry along on your journey.

Show
    Mohander harvests 21 pounds of meat from the deer. Let me know how you're going to carry it (ie. who's going to carry it). No need to roll again later to smoke it, just mark it as rations on your character sheets.

You turn off your path and head south, best as you can tell in the gloom. Trudging through the muck, everyone does their best to keep dripping hoods clear of their faces. After walking half a day you are rewarded by the sight of the badlands spreading out before you.

A barren, alien landscape of striated rock and dust, turned plaster-like in the rain, looms around you in the fading daylight. Only the foresight of your more experienced outdoorsmen keeps you from having a chilled, fireless camp. But thankfully Mohander and Atas have been scooping handfuls of dried grass, and the stems of long-dead prairie weeds, that should catch even in this rain, once you find a sheltered depression in one of the rocky hills in which to kindle it. You fill your bellies on fresh roasted venison and prepare to spend the night.

Show
    Watch order?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Almost before the rest of the party is aware of what is happening, Mohander launches a crossbow bolt at the deer. The bolt enters its neck and explodes out the other side. The deer makes a desperate attempt to bound away, but drops into a mud puddle after a few steps. A pair of does who had been waiting in the tufts of grass behind her go leaping away through the driving rain at top speed.

Mohander skillfully dresses the deer, selecting the choicest cuts of meat to carry along on your journey.

Show
    Mohander harvests 21 pounds of meat from the deer. Let me know how you're going to carry it (ie. who's going to carry it). No need to roll again later to smoke it, just mark it as rations on your character sheets.

You turn off your path and head south, best as you can tell in the gloom. Trudging through the muck, everyone does their best to keep dripping hoods clear of their faces. After walking half a day you are rewarded by the sight of the badlands spreading out before you.

A barren, alien landscape of striated rock and dust, turned plaster-like in the rain, looms around you in the fading daylight. Only the foresight of your more experienced outdoorsmen keeps you from having a chilled, fireless camp. But thankfully Mohander and Atas have been scooping handfuls of dried grass, and the stems of long-dead prairie weeds, that should catch even in this rain, once you find a sheltered depression in one of the rocky hills in which to kindle it. You fill your bellies on fresh roasted venison and prepare to spend the night.

Show
    Watch order?
    Shaena being worn from the long journey, relative to the others, she dives head first into her piece of venison. Upon finishing, she remains by the fire, says her good nights, and curls up into her bedroll as small crumbs of meat still remain on her face.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

[COLOR="#0000FF"]Iselshera Elkian[COLOR]
    1st Level Paladin

Iselshera listens to the concerned citizen as he walks past with the mayor. Hmm, she thinks to herself. It seems there may be a bit of discontent. Calves being taken? Cockatrices don't usually eat things that big do they? Issy decided then to keep an eye out for the strange lizard-ish creatures.

Issy spends the first day watching the scenery go by, looking . There was a strange kind of beauty to wandering through a new area, no matter what it looked like. Unless it rained, of course. Issy looked at the sky as the rain starts to pour. "As much as I travel around," she muttered to herself not too quietly, "you'd think I'd have a waterproof cloak by now." As they travel, her thoughts turn to previous trips and she analyzed how she could make things more mobile. "Why didn't we grab a cart or donkey or something?"

A little later in the day, Mohander moves in a blur before Issy even realizes there is a deer. She shakes herself out of her reverie and decides to be more mindful of the surroundings. That deer could just have easily been a cockatrice. She helps the man dress the deer, wrapping it up and putting a few pounds in her own pack, wrapped tightly to avoid making a mess in the pack.

That night, she helped get camp set up before assisting with dinner and smoking the meat to help it last longer. Finally, it comes time to bed down. "I can take first watch," she offers. "I'm not tired yet."

Show
    Perception score if needed: (d20)[14]

Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Eventually you all make yourselves as comfortable as you can. Thankfully, you've made your camp up against a large rock formation, which keeps much of the rain off of you. The fire eventually dies, and your watchers are left to rely on their darkvision.

The first two nights of the watch pass uneventfully, but about two hours before dawn, Mohander, a glimpse of movement out of the corner of your eye is your only warning before you are set upon by a horrible figure. It makes a soft rustling sound as it rushes up and closes with you, preparing to lash out at you with long,sharp claws. Its face a burlap sack with glowing red eyes and a mouth filled with eerie fire.

Show
    All of you were surprised (it had a hell of a stealth roll). Rushing up to close the distance was its first round action. I need initiative from all of you,anyone rolling over a 17 can make an action before it goes again. (yeah, it got a pretty good initiative roll,too)

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaena wakes up with a start at the commotion

Spoiler: initiative
    Show
    (1d20+3)[14]

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Upon hearing Mohander's warning shout, Atas immediately snaps from his trance. He shoots up from his meditative position, dropping into a combat-ready stance.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    (1d20+2)[12]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Iselshera Elkian
    1st Level Paladin

Issy reaches for her flail as her eyes snap open, instantly alert. She instantly regrets having changed into sleeping attire. Sleeping in chainmail is highly uncomfortable, but possible.

Show
    AC is 9 due to no armor.

Inititative: (d20-1)[2] I'm also okay if the DM rolls initiative in order to save time.

Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-10-24 at 01:17 PM.

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

The fiery-eyed creature falls on Mohander, slashing wildly with elongated claws, but the wood elf bobs and weaves, avoiding the attacks. In an eye blink, a second creature steps into the edge of his vision, reaching up, it pulls off the burlap mask that composes its face and give you a glimpse into the unknown horror that lies beneath.

Show
    Mohander Wisdom Save (1d20+3)[19]

Shaken, but still sane, the party launches into action.

Show
    Save made, both attacks missed. Party is up.
    Last edited by Armored Walrus; 2017-10-24 at 03:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

"WHAT IN THE NINE HELLS??!" Mohander shouts as the second beast pulls off its hood. Stumbling backwards and dropping his crossbow from the first creature's blows he draws a dagger and slashes back trying to keep it at bay. "Get off of me!!"

As one of his companions arrives to fend off the attacker, Mohander goes for a vicious stab at its torso while it's outnumbered.

Show
    Will wait to act until someone can close into melee with the one that's on me.

I presume I'd have my xbow out... so drop that and draw a dagger.
    Attack: (1d20+6)[24]
    Dmg: (1d4+4)[6] + Sneak (1d6)[6]
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2017-10-24 at 04:25 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Iselshera Elkian
    1st Level Paladin

Issy looks around her sleeping area and grabs her shield before taking a few steps toward the creature next to Mohander. She grips her flail in her left hand and takes a big swing toward the creature.

Show
    Attack: (d20+6)[23] for (d8+4)[8] damage.
    Issy's Temporary AC: 11

Nature check to see if she recognizes this creature: (d20+1)[17]

Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra awakes and promptly grab her shield, axe and weapons and rush toward the nearby enemy that attacked Mohander. Putting herself in a defensive position, guarding her allies flank. She will them shout toward the enemy "ARE YOU" she will use her weight and momentum bashing her shield on the enemy to make him fall down "READY" followed by a brutal attack of her Axe right on the it's shoulder "TO DIE?!"

Her style of fighting is pretty weird, she uses her shield really agressivelly, it is the trademark of the Ambershield clan.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move: 25ft
    Bonus: Using Shield Master Feat to make that guy prone.
    Attack: (1d20+5)[12] A (prone) (1d20+5)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[11] slashing
    Last edited by Azktor; 2017-10-24 at 11:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Atas

His eyes glimmering faintly in the dark as they take in what little light they can, Atas grabs his quarterstaff and rushes forward, circling around the wall his friends are building with their bodies. "Demonspawn!" he shouts, calmly but firmly, even as deep down his blood boils with excitement.

In one swift movement, he swings his weapon for the scarecrow creature's head, following it up by suddenly duck and then delivering a kick to its chest.

"Your face!" he yells as he does so. "Show it to me!"

Show
    Move: 30 feet
    Quarterstaff Attack: (1d20+4)[7] for (1d8+2)[7] damage.
    Martial Arts Bonus Action Attack: (1d20+4)[13] for (1d4+2)[4] damage.

If at all possible, can I delay my attack should the scarecrow already be dead when I reach it? That would be without the bonus action Unarmed Attack then, of course.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Hearing the commotion but not seeing a thing, Shaena does the only think she can think of. She breaks out a torch and lights it.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Reacting quickly and scrambling for the nearest weapon, you rain blows down on the construct, hitting it again and again. While straw goes flying in all directions, the creature continues in its frenzied attack, scrabbling again at Mohander, but unable to connect with the nimble elf.

The scarecrow lurking in the shadows steps forward into the light of Shaena's torch and, once again, reaches up to remove its burlap face, staring with malice at the fire-bearing halfling.

Show
    Shaena wis save (1d20+2)[21]

The halfling seems entirely undaunted by the display, and grips the torch more fiercely.

Show
    Party up, take actions at will. Sorry that first round was so unorganized. You guys are getting incredibly lucky on this encounter, by the way...
    Last edited by Armored Walrus; 2017-10-25 at 11:04 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Reacting quickly and scrambling for the nearest weapon, you rain blows down on the construct, hitting it again and again. While straw goes flying in all directions, the creature continues in its frenzied attack, scrabbling again at Mohander, but unable to connect with the nimble elf.

The scarecrow lurking in the shadows steps forward into the light of Shaena's torch and, once again, reaches up to remove its burlap face, staring with malice at the fire-bearing halfling.

Show
    Shaena wis save (1d20+5)[18]

The halfling seems entirely undaunted by the display, and grips the torch more fiercely.

Show
    Party up, take actions at will. Sorry that first round was so unorganized. You guys are getting incredibly lucky on this encounter, by the way...
    Shaena, shocked though she is by the creeping scarecrow's presence, simply has the slightest of smiles curling around her lips. Unaware of their resilience, she says aloud Oh, I wonder what you have hidden under that 'face' of yours. Maybe we'll just have to knock it off to find out. She takes a step foward. The halfling then points a finger and a ray of energy shoots forth, aiming at the scarecrow. Noticing it might be following her light, she then scurries behind the rest of the party

Spoiler
    Show

Move left one square

Action: Eldritch Blast
    Attack: (1d20+5)[18]
    damage: (1d10)[10]

Move remaining speed behind/not quite beside Mohander
    Last edited by kladams707; 2017-10-25 at 12:18 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Feeling his strikes hit nothing but straw, Atas redoubles his efforts, delivering several quick strikes designed to tear holes into its fabric. This would be easier with a blade, that's for sure, but for now his staff will have to do.

Sadly, it seems neither of the scarecrows will pay particular attention to him as is, so he devises a simple plan to change that. "Shaena, toss me your torch!" he shouts. If she follows along, perhaps he can lead these monsters on a wild goose chase.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    I forgot to roll my attacks. >_>

Quarterstaff Attack: [roll0] for [roll1] damage.
    Martial Arts Bonus Action Attack: [roll2] for [roll3] damage.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Third time's the Charm.
    Show

Darn forum programming, screwing up my rolls by telling me I have to wait thirty seconds between posts. >_>

Quarterstaff Attack: (1d20+4)[11] for (1d8+2)[4] damage.
    Martial Arts Bonus Action Attack: (1d20+4)[18] for (1d4+2)[5] damage.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Iselshera Elkian
    1st Level Paladin

Issy glares at the scarecrow. It wasn't taking quite as much damage as she thought she should be inflicting. Damn straw creatures. She raises her flail once more and brings it down upon the creature.

Show
    Attack roll: (d20+6)[12] for (d8+4)[9]
    Advantage roll if it is knocked back down by my turn: (d20+6)[13]

Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-10-25 at 03:23 PM.

Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaena's arcane bolt of energy blasts its way through the scarecrow, scattering straw and old, rotten clothing everywhere, and the construct makes its first noise of the battle. I high-pitched, rage-filled keening fills the air, and the thing's movements become erratic.

Atas follows up with a spinning move of his quarterstaff that draws the scarecrow's attention, but it's only a feint, and the monk drives his elbow into the space between the burlap bag "face" and the open collar of it's dirty shirt. There seems to be little cohesion left to it when the elf finishes his maneuver.

Then Issy steps in with an implement whose original purpose was to thresh grain. The flail scatters what's left of the scarecrow into the wind, chaff and frayed cloth driven to the soggy ground by the continuing rain.

Show
    You took one out! One to go ;)

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

As the scarecrow tears apart and falls limp Mohander gathers his wits and picks up the loaded crossbow at his feet. Stepping to the side for a clear shot, he takes aim at the remaining creature and fires off a bolt, hoping to maybe pin it to the rocks behind. The bolt finds its mark but goes clean through the loose innards beneath the burlap and *plinks* against the rock behind as he draws and loads another.

Show
    Crossbow Attack: (1d20+6)[24]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[9]
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2017-10-25 at 04:35 PM.