New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Crucible

Shaena listens in on the conversation but doesn't say much. I'll keep going whichever way our intrepid scouts wish so long as we have food and can find our way out. After that, she lets the others continue to decide which direction they head as she observes the landscape and any flora and fauna that might be around, rare as it might be in the Badlands.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Iselshera Elkian
    1st Level Paladin

Issy nods her head after Atas speaks. "That sounds like a reasonable choice to me. Anyone want to lay a small wager on what we find?" She pauses a few moments. "How's our food doing? Should we move a little slower...make sure we get enough to eat, or are we okay for now?"
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

Rifling through his pack, Mohander calls out, "That deer will last us another day. I brought 5 days of rations with me. Hopefully you all thought ahead enough to do the same."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Iselshera Elkian
    1st Level Paladin

Issy nodded her head in response to the inquiry. "Yeah, I brought some with me..." She frowns at her pack. "This stupid pack is heavy because of it. I say next time we're in town we get a mule or a wagon to help carry things."

Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

The party strikes east, figuring they have a coin's toss chance of having guessed right regarding the direction of the track-makers. After winding between the stone hills for another mile or so, you come upon a new scene. The tracks here join, or are joined by, the tracks of a small wheeled vehicle, probably a hand cart or wheelbarrow. Near the junction, a broken crockery pot lies on a relatively dry mound. Shiny brown beans are scattered in the dust around it, and inspection shows a few pounds still nestled within the mostly intact bottom of the crock. They seem edible enough.

Another three hours along the trail, Atas treks to the top of one of the small hills to get his bearings. He approaches the crest rather swiftly, but just before breaking the line of the hill's crown, he lowers himself to the dirt, and peers carefully over the top. He comes back down with two pieces information.

To the east, about two hundred yards ahead of you, two human males trudge along, pulling a small handcart behind them. Roughly five miles due south, a twisted black metal spire rises lonely from the barren earth.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stealth rolls:
    Atas:(1d20+4)[13]
    Issy (disadvantage): (1d20-1)[10] (1d20-1)[7]
    Kyra: (1d20+4)[24]
    Mohander: (1d20+8)[27]
    Shaena: (1d20+3)[16]

You move swiftly and - nearly - silently closer to the two humans drudging along in front of their cart. Mohander and Atas turn to Issy and hold up a hand to stop her, just before the rest of you round a bend and catch sight of your quarry a few dozen yards ahead of you. They wear nondescript, rain-darkened brown clothing, and dark colored cloaks, with boiled leather skullcaps on their heads. They each hold one of the shafts of the small cart crooked in one elbow. One of them keeps up a fairly constant litany of complaints while you listen, while the other simply nods tiredly and watches the ground in front of him.

"Nine hells, Lummie, why'd you have to go an' piss off Chetek? Now we're stuck pulling this gods damned cart while they all get to run ahead and make a nice dry camp without us. If I don't catch my death from this rain pissin' on us I'll be surprised, and only you to blame. Not to mention it's coldern' a witch's tit out here."

Lummie just hawks up a gob of phlegm and spits into the mud.
    Last edited by Armored Walrus; 2017-11-04 at 02:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Iselshera Elkian
    1st Level Paladin

"Aha!" Issy says as they catch up to the men. "So now we just need to figure out what these guys are up to. What have they found out here? Keep following from back here until we find their camp?"

Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

"Blast it, Lummie! The rain keeps gettin' in my eyes. By the time we catch up with everyone else it's gonna be dark. I don't know why I agreed to help you pull this cursed cart."
    Last edited by Armored Walrus; 2017-11-04 at 03:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

"Atas"

Holding up a finger to his lips, Atas gestures for Issy to be more quiet, before commenting "That sounds like the best course of action. I only hope it will not stop us from taking a closer look at that tower later."

Before heading after the men, however, Atas pauses to examine their cart. He tries to figure out whether he can see what's loaded on it from where he stands.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

On the cart, clay pots and wooden barrels gleam with wetness. They seem to be mostly an assortment of foodstuffs. A tarp covers the back halfof the cart, keeping the rain off what appears to be burlap sacks of flour, oatmeal and other grains. You've seen wagons loaded similarly during your time in the caravan.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaena remains quiet as a mouse as she possibly can. She decides to go along with the plan, no other course of action any more interesting at the time. Though, her curiosity is piqued regarding the camp.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Iselshera Elkian
    1st Level Paladin

"That cart's loaded with food? Let's see where this camp is at. If it's full of bandits....well...maybe we can help the town...bring back food for the people?"

Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra nods to the loud Issy "Issy is probably right, they are either bandits or just someone like us looking to make some money or be to fight a good fight. Either way we need to make sure before attacking them."
    Last edited by Azktor; 2017-11-10 at 02:17 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

Crouched low to the ground as they move forward, Mohander peers through the tall grass at the two brutish fellows. He gives an agreeable nod to Kyra. "Yes, we need to learn more before bearing arms." He looks uneasily at the dark spire to the south. "That tower isn't going anywhere; we can investigate it in the morning. Let's keep after these fellows for now and see what can be made of their camp."

Show
    Con save: (1d20+2)[21] / Adv: (1d20+2)[12]
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2017-11-07 at 09:32 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

You find it relatively easy to keep the pair in view, while remaining safely out of earshot. They wind back and forth between the stony hills of the badlands, and rarely raise their heads to look around.

After a few hours, fatigued, but still alert and ready for action, you watch as the two straighten up a bit. They approach a horseshoe-shaped clearing set before a larger than normal hill. You can see steps carved into the stone in the face of the hill, and further up a stone lintel with a wooden door inset into it. To the right of the stair, at ground level, a stream issues from a cave in the near face of the hill. The two nod to a watchman standing at the base of the hill - another human in nondescript clothing - and drive their cart into the cave.

Another watchman stands near the door at the top of the stairs, and two more cave openings flank the door, with flickering firelight emanating from inside.

Show
    map updated to what you can currently see, the red dots indicate where the top openings are located.
    Last edited by Armored Walrus; 2017-11-07 at 04:40 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armored Walrus View Post
    You find it relatively easy to keep the pair in view, while remaining safely out of earshot. They wind back and forth between the stony hills of the badlands, and rarely raise their heads to look around.

After a few hours, fatigued, but still alert and ready for action, you watch as the two straighten up a bit. They approach a horseshoe-shaped clearing set before a larger than normal hill. You can see steps carved into the stone in the face of the hill, and further up a stone lintel with a wooden door inset into it. To the right of the stair, at ground level, a stream issues from a cave in the near face of the hill. The two nod to a watchman standing at the base of the hill - another human in nondescript clothing - and drive their cart into the cave.

Another watchman stands near the door at the top of the stairs, and two more cave openings flank the door, with flickering firelight emanating from inside.

Show
    map updated to what you can currently see, the red dots indicate where the top openings are located.
    After a short silence Shaena whispers "what's our next move here?.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

As the group crests a small hill on the outskirts of the clearing, Mohander's keen eyes note the movement and light coming from the caves. Two guards... simple enough to dispatch quietly, but there was no reason for violence here. "Unless someone wants to speak to them, I don't see an easy way for all of us to enter. I could approach from the side and take a quick peek in the cave if we really want to know more..." He seems uneasy at the idea, like it's an unnecessary risk.
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2017-11-09 at 09:01 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Atas

At first, Atas does not answer, instead taking his quarterstaff and poking into the stream with it. If it's deep enough, perhaps the group can move into the cave under the cover of water?

Then, he turns to Mohander, and states "I find it odd that they'd go to such lengths to establish an outpost in the wilderness if they are not outlaws. But I do not know much about local politics. I will defer to someone else's judgement."
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

The stream, at its broadest about five feet across, wets the end of Atas' staff as he pokes near the shore. At most, it looks like it may get up to knee deep in the middle.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra tryes to remember what her father used to said once about ambushes and night attacks "We need to use the night on our advance, besides me and Shaena you all can see in dark they - refering to the group they just found - can't. So now is a good time for us to come closer inspecting them and if needed make an surprise attack or even an ambush outside of their camp." from the looks of Kyra, leting this group go without either talking to them or attacking them don't look like an option anymore.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2017-11-10 at 02:25 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

In the hush between comments, you all ponder your options. The rain continues in a constant, quiet susurration around you.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

Atas was right, there's no reason folks up to any good would have a setup like this away from Hardholm. They wouldn't take kindly to a passerby saying hello. But who knows how many were inside and Kyra looked on edge. "Wait here a minute, I'll have a quick look," Mohander says, hoping to quell any violence at least for the time being. Ducking down the berm and making his way to the east, Mohander creeps quietly forward, the tall grass and trickle of water masking his approach.
    Stepping into the stream he moves quickly to get into the cave and out of the guards' sight. Once inside, he steps cautiously forward keeping an eye open for any signs of activity, tripwires, and the like.

Show
    Intended to convey I'm approaching from the opposite side of the stream as the guard/stairs. Heading inside the lower cave, keeping to the shadows, and trying to just observe without being noticed.

Some stealth rolls as needed:
    (1d20+8)[15]
    (1d20+8)[21]
    (1d20+8)[26]
    (1d20+8)[26]

And some perception rolls as needed:
    (1d20+7)[8]
    (1d20+7)[13]
    (1d20+7)[15]
    (1d20+7)[19]
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2017-11-11 at 10:07 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Stepping into the mouth of the cave, Mohander quickly realizes that it will be fairly easy to sneak around in here; the sound of a small waterfall from somewhere up ahead will mask any slight noise he may make. Getting into the cave without the sentry near the steps was more difficult, but in the dim evening light, Mohander had little trouble gauging when the sentry's attention was elsewhere, and slipping into the opening.

The wide cave is damp with condensation, and a light mist flows along the ground at ankle height, backlit by a flickering light from ahead. Peering around a bend in the rock wall, Mohander sees the two human men working at unloading the cart onto a wooden platform. From the platform, thick hemp cables stretch upward about 50 feet, and disappear into a hole in the jagged ceiling. The two men work by the light of a brazier near the, and a faint light also emanates from the hole in the ceiling.

Beyond the two men, a waterfall fills the rest of the hole, splashing down into a churning pool before the water ultimately flows past the wood elf and out of the cave.

Pressed flat against the stone wall, Mohander listens for a moment. One of the men yells out, "Alar! Dammit! Come winch this up!" He pauses and listens for a moment, but there is no reply from above. Shrugging, he turns to his companion and says, "Well, might as well get this unloaded and then just go up the stairs. Alar must be drunk or somethin'"

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra start get antsy "Mohander is taking to long." She puts her hand in her Axe's handle looking at the others "Should we do something?" Pacience is not Kyra's strong suit.

Show
    I'm assuming at least 5~10 minutes had passed when Kyra said that, not like literally one that Mohander said.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2017-11-12 at 04:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, he did say wait a minutes. It's been about 5 or so. Had he wanted us to wait longer, Mo should have said so Shaena said. Besides, I'm really curious to know what he's seeing.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Iselshera Elkian
    1st Level Paladin

"Let's not get too jumpy," Issy says. "We haven't heard anything yet. I'm sure if Mohander were discovered, there would be more of a rustle about the camp. Give him some time." Despite her words, her hand lies upon the handle of her flail, firmly attached to her belt.

Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Atas

The few minutes, to Atas, pass like seconds. Unlike the others, he stands quietly in place, arms crossed. That is not to say he is not nervous about Mohander being in a sticky situation. Rather, his rigorous training to reach clarity of mind, combined with his elven perspective on the passage of time, makes it all a lot more bearable to him.

The fact that he need not draw any weapon to defend himself also helps.

"We should trust in his skills." he simply says, sounding almost calm. "Once we get a signal, we will attempt and prove ourselves against these people."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

Mohander crouches at the edge of the rocky protrusion and watches the men work for a minute. The mist gives the entire cavern an ominous, mystical feeling. This site has certainly been repurposed from its original use - though how recently is unclear. Taking a few steps forward, Mohander enters the frigid water and moves cautiously to the other side, keeping his eyes on the figures ahead and trying to time his movements while their heads are turned. Keeping to the shadows he approaches the southeast side of the cave and watches the pair from a much closer position, planning to inspect the pool and goods on the platform once they leave.

While he waits he casts a glance around the remainder of the cave from his new position, trying to discern what originally may have lived here.

Show
    As stated previously checking for what types of goods are there, if there are different trading house crests, blood on anything, etc. Basically signs these were potentially stolen. If he comes across anything of notable value that's easy to pocket he takes it.

Some Investigations if needed:
    (1d20+1)[5]
    (1d20+1)[7]
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2017-11-14 at 11:26 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Iselshera Elkian
    1st Level Paladin

Issy kneels on the ground, staring down towards the encampment. Eventually, she looks up to the sky to check the passage of the sun, though between the clouds, the lateness of the day, and the drizzle, all she got was a wet face. As she looks back to Mohander's direction, she mutters to herself, "Is the man never coming back?" She waits a few more minutes before finally turning to the others. As she begins pulling her hair up and back into a ponytail, she asks, "Shall we see if he's found trouble?"

Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-11-14 at 01:06 PM.

Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Mohander

Mohander listens to the two men gripe at each other for a bit, but they swiftly and efficiently empty the cart of all of its goods. They give one last, loud yell through the hole in the ceiling, which still goes unanswered. Grumbling about having to go back out in the rain, rather than getting a comfy ride up on the winch, they place a metal lid on the brazier and walk out of the cave.

Peering around after their departure, Mohander can't discern any details of how this cave might originally have been used, but now there is the iron brazier bolted into the stone, plus the winch and platform that are installed. The hemp cables don't seem to be very worn, and the platform is nearly raw wood. Rifling quickly through the goods on the platform, the elf discovers that it consists mostly of foodstuffs and staples - sacks of flour and bean, a jar full of salt, a few sets of clothes, including one very fine set, and a bolt of common cotton cloth. But mingled in are a few, more notable items. Two large barrels full of ale - real ale, not the sour brown swamp brew being served at the Foaming Flagon - occupy one corner of the platform. They are stamped with the name "Longboot." A finely tooled leather pouch with a brass clasp holds a set of jeweler's tools, and a wooden crate holds a few styles of saw, an adze, a chizel and a plane. He also finds a couple tents, a half dozen bottles of cheap wine, and a supple lambskin pouch holding a set of dice.

Everyone Else

No one replies to Issy's suggestion, and you all wait, holding your breath in the rain, for a few moments more. Just as the paladin finishes tying off her dripping ponytail, many of you see two vaguely human shapes emerge from the mouth of the cave. They turn and walk toward the stairs carved in the face of the hill.