New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Crucible

Atas

"It seems to me that he hasn't." Atas replies to Issy, seeing the two guards exiting quietly as a sign that Mohander has not been seen yet.

"That said, if he does not come back soon, I wish to ambush the guard by the door. He's vulnerable all alone."
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

While inconclusive, Mohander infers there is some form of artistry happening here. Mining for gems perhaps? It's hard to say. Tucking the jeweler's kit and dice into his pockets, he grabs two bottles of wine and makes his way back to the cave entrance, keeping a careful eye on the guard at the stairs before stepping out across the water and making his way back to the group.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Figure it's time for a new stealth roll for the escape. (1d20+8)[19]

Will wait to narrate the exchange of info until this "round" of actions is over in case they start something outside.
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2017-11-16 at 03:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

The two shadowed figures shuffle to the base of the stairs, exchange a few quiet words, and begin to ascend. A moment later, Mohander emerges from the cave, carefully checking on the sentry, and approaches the group out of the gloom.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

A faint smirk on his face as he approaches, Mohander hands a bottle to Kyra and the other to Shaena. "Not much to be seen. It's a large cave, and they have a platform raised by a winch of some kind to bring goods above. Not sure what's going on up there, but most of the cart was foodstuffs. Does the name "Longboot" mean anything to any of you?" He pauses and looks at them for a response before continuing. "Best I can tell there are artisans above - jewelers, carpenters... seems there's a well-to-do fellow in charge of the operation. Maybe mining for gems?" Mohander produces the jeweler's kit as evidence of his claims, fingering through the fine instruments. "Not sure what's going on, but it's about a 50 foot climb if we wanted to go up the ropes of the platform. Otherwise we're fighting our way in the front door."
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2017-11-16 at 03:53 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra was already with her axe on her hand ready to charge towards the entrance after what Issy's said, stoping only because Mohander appears.

She listen to Mohander's findings giving a *sigh* clearly disappointed that they are not a group of bandits controled by a great warrior or something like that "So miners and jewelers? That does not seems like worth of our time. How heavy guarded was it? Any archer? How many guards in total?" putting her axe back to the holster.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2017-11-17 at 05:26 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaena listens as Mohander recount what was in there, also becoming a little disappointed in his findings. As Kyra asks the questions, the halfling's mind drifts to the name "Longboot".

Spoiler
    Show

Roll: (1d20)[4]

+2 if intelligence check, +4 if history

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Iselshera Elkian
    1st Level Paladin

"Longboot? Who goes by Longboot? May as well be called Shortglove or Hathead.....what a peculiar name." Issy pauses and processes the information for a few moments. She then adds wistfully, "I wonder what secrets they've managed to dig up..."

Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

"I'm curious too. The construction is fairly recent, at least for the platform. Only four I've seen are the two guards and the two cart-ferriers so far. They were calling for a 5th above to raise the platform, but he didn't respond. If anyone's feeling diplomatic you might make yourself known and see if they're friendly... though perhaps waiting until morning instead of approaching under cover of darkness would be better for a peaceable approach."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Iselshera Elkian
    1st Level Paladin

Iselshira thinks for a few moments on Mohander's thoughts. She looks up at the drizzly sky and again runs a hand through her sopping-wet hair. "But it's so wet," she not-quite whines. She had slept outdoors in the cold and wet before, but it was not her favorite thing by far. "Maybe they wouldn't turn away travelers requesting succor from the night?"

Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

"At the least they may allow us to sleep in the lower cave to wait out the rain," he agrees, acknowledging a fair point.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Atas

Seeing the course the conversation has taken, Atas decides to step into action. "I'd rather stay outside, to be perfectly honest. But if you'd rather get into the cave, we should stop mincing words out here."

And with that, he steps out into the open, walking towards the single guard with raised hands.

"Greetings, sir! Me and four companions of mine are seeking shelter for the night! Would you be willing to share yours?"

Show
    Should I be required to make a Charisma check, I'll invoke my-

"As someone new to these strange lands, I am cautious and respectful in my dealings."

-ideal to spend Inspiration and gain advantage.

(1d20-2)[9]
    (1d20-2)[-1]
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

"What!? Who's there? Step forward slowly with your hands in the air!" calls the guard at the base of the stairs. The two who were on their way up pause, hands dropping to their sides, and you hear the distinctive sound of a crossbow being cranked into place. "Watt! Let them know we have visitors!"

The guard at the top of the stairs turns and bangs on the wooden door behind him.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Atas

Not letting the response deter him, as it is not the first time he's had to deal with suspicion, Atas does as he is told. With raised hands, he slowly approaches the men, confident in his knowledge that he need not be armed to crush their bones if he has to.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2017-11-18 at 07:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

"Just move slow and easy!" the voice yells. The two on the stairs take a few steps back toward the ground.

Up above, a flicker of flame arcs across from one of the caves flaking the door. Someone has tossed a torch to the guard up there. He picks it up off the ground and begins walking down the stairs.

"Who are you? What do you want here?"

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaena remains quiet as Atas speaks, figuring now was not the time for yet another voice from the shadows to speak. She wonders just what this place actually is, but unable to see currently her wonderings are merely that.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra start getting a bit uneasy, she looks to Atas and to Shaena, just waiting for a command to charge those guys if needed. But still just listening - for now - to the conversation.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Atas

Moving slowly and carefully, Atas approaches the guard, his hands still raised.

"I am an explorer, here to map out these savage lands! Me and some companions of mine found your home. If you would let us, we would only stay the night."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

The guard with the torch descends further, eventually illuminating Atas and the guard he is conversing with. Finally able to see the wood elf, the guard trains his crossbow on Atas' chest while he speaks.

"All right, all right. Just stay easy there. Have your friends come into the light, too. Jast, you an' Lummie stick around for a bit, while we sort this out. Watt, go let Haman know we got some folks looking to bed down for the night."

Watt hands off his torch to Lummie and head back up the stairs. Meanwhile, Lummie and Jast come forward, and the three of them face you. A shadow moves in front of the flickering light from one of the caves up by the door.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Iselshera Elkian
    1st Level Paladin

Issy gives Mohander her best, "Are you kidding me" look then follows Atas out into view of the residents. She holds her hands up and away from her weapons...for now. "As my friend says, we're just looking for a dry place to sleep for the night." Mostly, she finishes to herself.

Show
    Persuasion: (d20+3)[21]

Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

Mohander approaches with the others, his bow slung across his back, though the daggers in the belt behind his back are readily drawn and thrown if trouble sounds.
    As they come closer into the light he watches the caves above trying to discern how many eyes look down on them... and how many bows.

Show
    Perception?: (1d20+7)[13]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra follows the others to the light, as the guy asked, but ready to be jumped or jump at someone at any time.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Insight, for sense motive on those guys: (1d20+1)[17]
    Perception, just a general on: (1d20+3)[14]
    Last edited by Azktor; 2017-11-20 at 10:32 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaena without hesitation follows the others into the light.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Something about Issy's demeanor seems to put the crossbowman at his ease. The point dips an inch or so from where it was aimed, now it points vaguely at Atas' navel.

"Well ma'am, we can be reasonable. But I can't speak for Haman, he'll tell us what to do with you."

He keeps a close eye on the rest of you as you step into the ring of light around his torch.

Mohander barely spares a glance for your "host," instead trying to judge the strength of this potential foe. It doesn't take his keen eye long to realize that only the left cave holds an occupant. The dim light from the other cave flickers without disturbance.

Watt gets to the door and disappears inside, while Lummie, Jast, and your unnamed host regard you with the patience of folks who are used to waiting to be told what to do.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Iselshera Elkian
    1st Level Paladin

Issy smiles at the crossbowman as she reaches up and wipes some of the rain out of her face. She looks to the sky. "Can we at least wait somewhere dry while we see what this...Haman...decides to do with us?"

Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

The guard grunts and regards Issy with a flat look.

"Haman will tell us." he says.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Atas

Atas, having the good sense to realize that these mooks are more favorably disposed towards Issy than towards him, keeps his mouth shut for now. Instead, he simply sizes them up, trying to see if they'd be particularely threatening in a battle.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Up close, Atas has no trouble discerning that all the humans are clad in leather armor under their cloaks. The guard you face wields the light crossbow and has a scimitar hanging at his side, as does one of the men on the steps. The other is rather larger, with a blunt face, a bruiser's frame, and a wicked looking mace hanging at his belt. He loudly cracks his knuckles when he notices the wood elf eyeing him.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

Mohander leans against the rock wall to his right, pulling the cloak around him to keep the rain sliding off and waits patiently. "You been out here since before the thaw or new to town after the snows melted recently?" he asks, trying to pass the time with idle conversation.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Mo's attempts to solicit small talk mostly fail. The guard, whose name turns out to be Arund, gives mostly vauge, noncommittal answers, usually capping his answer with, "Haman can tell ya more."

Issy wrings out her pony tail twice more before the door at the top of the steps opens again. The previous guard reemerges and steps down the stairs. He gestures with his crossbow, "Haman says send 'em in."

Both guards look at you expectantly and gesture up the stairs. The two cart men start up ahead of you.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Atas

Relaxing his stance a little, the wood elf follows the guards upstairs, his hands still firmly away from the weapons he doesn't need.