New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Flash Season Four

The premier is mostly a mop up of the previous season finale and also an intro to two season storylines - the new BBEG and Killer Frost shenanigans.

Spoiler
    Show
    I actually liked that the symbols Barry was writing were gibberish. It is sort of cliche they would have meaning. That it's nonsense is amusingly refreshing. Here's to hoping they don't make a return appearance and have meaning after all.

Here I go again.

I accept it wasn't gratuitous Barry had his shirt off. Grant Gustin worked out a bit. I'm glad the CW hasn't reached the point yet to have moved the camera a little lower to show his bare butt as he was obviously naked, at least the character was if not Grant.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Flash Season Four

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I actually liked that the symbols Barry was writing were gibberish. It is sort of cliche they would have meaning. That it's nonsense is amusingly refreshing. Here's to hoping they don't make a return appearance and have meaning after all.
    There is a risk that you are happy too soon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is possible that the symbols will return later and it might even be the entire reason for the bad guy to try and bring Barry back.

Other than that, don't you just love how you build up a HUGE "no way they can return to normal after that" season ending, just to return to normal 30 minutes later?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Other than that, don't you just love how you build up a HUGE "no way they can return to normal after that" season ending, just to return to normal 30 minutes later?
    Well, I think the only purpose of the Flashbattical in the Speed Force Prison was to manufacture a reason for Iris to take a bigger/lead role in running Team Flash and to delay the inevitable Very Special Episode of the West Allen wedding. And I think the whole Caitlin Driven Crazy by Killer Frost Power was just done to show more of Danielle Panabaker's range and give her opportunities to play dress up more often.

So we get a taste of normal in the season opener after some bad crazy-acting...but we also see that not everything is settled back to normal (Caitlin). I wish they'd have skipped both ideas, but I guess we needed more relationship-based drama in our super hero fare.

ASIDE: Boy, that "...two doctorates and a PhD..." line annoyed me. But the 42 line redeemed their conversation. Slightly.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Besides the classic story drags that was okay season though having crazy barry writing some unique giberish make semi good chekovs plot ticket for later season like maybe supergirl arrow verse fusion. Is any one know kryptonian since barry might write some thing in kryptonian and since team dont have translator for it makes quite sense
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I think I read somewhere that Barry's weird writing looks a lot like Kryptonian as it's usually depicted.

In terms of content - we're back to the Flash I know and love, with great characterization and utter nonsense as plot. Hopefully it holds true, instead of descending back into melodrama.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Well when Super Girl next visits maybe they'll ask her about it?😉

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post

In terms of content - we're back to the Flash I know and love, with great characterization and utter nonsense as plot. Hopefully it holds true, instead of descending back into melodrama.
    Barry gushing how happy he is, that he's finally over the past and looking forward to the future with Iris would suggest that.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like seeing the new suit in action. The brighter red and increase in the gold portions makes it seem happier than the dull, drab suit he had before.

Spoiler: BBEG
    Show
    That was Metron, wasn't it? I'm not sure how evil he really is though. I mean he knew Flash was missing and used the Samuroid to put pressure on the team to bring him back. So maybe more anti-hero than villain?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    Nah, that was the Thinker. The chair gives a bit of a Metron vibe, but that "I'm thinking" line sells it. The Thinker has roughly a bazillion origins, so they could go pretty much anywhere with him.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

So I know people are annoyed about the start of this episode...

Spoiler: For all of the DC shows
    Show
    But frankly, it was actually the least offensive of the 3 DC shows I watch (Flash/Arrow/Legends). All 3 ended on major cliffhangers, and the other two shows resolve those cliffhangers even faster. Legends go home and find the present day overrun by Dinosaurs as a result of them screwing with time? No worries, a Time Bureau we never heard about before is here to clean it up in the first minute of the new season! Arrow ends with the Island blowing up and an uncertain fate for all of Oliver's supporting cast? No worries, we get reacquainted with them all again in the opening shots of the season!

Yes there's more story to tell resulting from these events. The Time Bureau is apparently here to stay, and there were other effects of the Island blowing that Oliver is still dealing with... but come on at least Barry stayed gone for 20 minutes.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Legends of Tomorrow
    Show
    To be fair, the Time Bureau resolve was largely a source of absolute hilarity. That kind of utter non-event fits the Legends better than it does the other shows.

"No, you guys can't be time cops, because you are terrible time cops."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Spoiler: Legends of Tomorrow
    Show
    To be fair, the Time Bureau resolve was largely a source of absolute hilarity. That kind of utter non-event fits the Legends better than it does the other shows.

"No, you guys can't be time cops, because you are terrible time cops."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I agree, I still love Legends because of how it is willing to poke fun at itself and is absolutely a funny show. I was just disappointed because I was hoping for at least half an episode of Dino Wrangling Shenanigans. Trying to see the team trying to figure out how to get a t-rex onto the wave rider or something similar was a scenario I had been legitimately looking forward to
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

How silly of me. Of course they're going to keep the stupid melodrama. Crying orphan story may be done, but there are still lots to exploit from romantic comedy. Of course it's always his fault. Who's "his"? Doesn't matter. It's always his fault.

At least they didn't forget there was a villain of the week.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

couples therapy ( imitates his best miz voice) realy. i mean realy. just give her bit of speed force and the damn problem solves him self.

by the way new episode guys.
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I have two main problems with the episode, and both are more or less the same.

- In just a few days, they recognize they have a problem, go to therapy (at least twice) and reach some sort of a conclusion, or at least a major breakthrough.
    - We have a hacker as the current villain, speaking of which, now will be the BEST time to give you the new hi-tech suit I invented!

In both cases, spreading the conflict and resolution to several episodes could have helped.
    - 2-3 episodes to establish there is a relationship problem, end an episode with them agreeing about going to therapy, and start the session in the beginning of the next one.
    - 2-3 episodes of him using the new suit (at least some basic useful features), then the battle against the hacker after which he decides to go back to the old suit despite the advantages.

It's not like there is a lack of villains to fight for a couple of episodes.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So what are the odds?
    Spoiler
    Show
    That isn't Barry but the Reverse Flash making his first appearance?
    It's apparently comic canon that he underwent plastic surgery and went back in time to become the hero he was so obsessed with!
    Just watched a video on this and frankly it makes a much better humdinger than last season!

So what do you think?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    I have two main problems with the episode, and both are more or less the same.

- In just a few days, they recognize they have a problem, go to therapy (at least twice) and reach some sort of a conclusion, or at least a major breakthrough.
    - We have a hacker as the current villain, speaking of which, now will be the BEST time to give you the new hi-tech suit I invented!

In both cases, spreading the conflict and resolution to several episodes could have helped.
    - 2-3 episodes to establish there is a relationship problem, end an episode with them agreeing about going to therapy, and start the session in the beginning of the next one.
    - 2-3 episodes of him using the new suit (at least some basic useful features), then the battle against the hacker after which he decides to go back to the old suit despite the advantages.

It's not like there is a lack of villains to fight for a couple of episodes.
    Remember, evil Barry (Salvador) used a new suit.
    This way he can't repeat that.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Given we are two episodes in is it ok to break these first episode spoilers?

Anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I accept it wasn't gratuitous Barry had his shirt off. Grant Gustin worked out a bit.
    What else does one do in prison?

Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    Show
    That was Metron, wasn't it? I'm not sure how evil he really is though. I mean he knew Flash was missing and used the Samuroid to put pressure on the team to bring him back. So maybe more anti-hero than villain?
    Show
    Bringing back the Flash on purpose, while still doing evil things make him more of the anti-villain sort. Specifically, I'm getting a Harrison Wells vibe of the old potential-mentor-father-figure-but-evil sort.

Barry can't seem to get away from archvillains that want him to be faster, better, and in top shape for whatever they are doing to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Spoiler: For all of the DC shows
    Show
    But frankly, it was actually the least offensive of the 3 DC shows I watch (Flash/Arrow/Legends). All 3 ended on major cliffhangers, and the other two shows resolve those cliffhangers even faster. Legends go home and find the present day overrun by Dinosaurs as a result of them screwing with time? No worries, a Time Bureau we never heard about before is here to clean it up in the first minute of the new season! Arrow ends with the Island blowing up and an uncertain fate for all of Oliver's supporting cast? No worries, we get reacquainted with them all again in the opening shots of the season!

Yes there's more story to tell resulting from these events. The Time Bureau is apparently here to stay, and there were other effects of the Island blowing that Oliver is still dealing with... but come on at least Barry stayed gone for 20 minutes.

Spoiler: Legends of Anachronism in a Flash (Episode 2)
    Show
    The Legends breaking time only to see everything fixed immediately was kinda funny, but this season of Legends seems a little more absurd than usual. Rip just praised the Legend about everything they've done, and the very episode after the Legends rescued reality itself from the Legion of Doom, we're to think that Rip sees the Legends as screw-ups...and then they sort of prove it as only they can.

All of this makes for some cheap comedy, particularly the idea of Sara Lance working retail.

Flash is quite sober in comparison but I still get the feeling that the stakes are a bit low for this season of both shows and the funny dial has been turned way up. Case in point: Iris's serious issues with Barry, which could be a major cause of drama, gets swept away by a couple sessions of couples therapy interspersed with the meta of the week setting off a grenade at police HQ.

Finally, for this season of Flash to keep up with the level of action and drama, the threat of chair-dude has to be very high to keep up with prior seasons villains. So far though, he just looks like a funny old-guy wearing plastic and bad makeup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    So what are the odds?
    Spoiler
    Show
    That isn't Barry but the Reverse Flash making his first appearance?
    It's apparently comic canon that he underwent plastic surgery and went back in time to become the hero he was so obsessed with!
    Just watched a video on this and frankly it makes a much better humdinger than last season!

So what do you think?
    They'll lose the fan base. P'ing off your audience will kill your show. That doesn't mean immediate cancellation, but your rating will drop it will struggle to be renewed. See Dallas/It was a dream Bobby Ewing died, Lois & Clark/Bride Lois Lane is a frog-eating clone, How I Met Your Mother/Mother is dead so Ted can date Robin who divorced Barney despite the whole season spent on the wedding.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

did i see brainiac in flash? and harry the angsty is back again to broke some reletionship so looks like good times.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

No that wasn't Brainiac. Someone familiar with Flash comic lore could say who he is, but who he is, what he's doing, and why is purposely a season long story arc mystery. We'll find out eventually.

Unrelated . . .

Spoiler
    Show
    Did Keiynan Lonsdale really leave the show?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know the big villain of the season, but I'm calling him Murphy from Robocop until I decide otherwise.

I'm also glad it was an episode slightly more amusing than the usual depression we had lately.
    Hope it's not just temporary, I'm tired of watching 3 episodes of Arrow with different characters every week...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I have answers for those questions, which I will spoiler for people who don't want to be spoiled on what passes for plot at the Flash!

Spoiler: The Villain
    Show
    The villain this year is The Thinker. In the comics, he was a super-genius who built a weird mechanical "thinking cap" to make himself even smarter and gain psychic powers, which eventually killed him. He was a founding member of the "Injustice Society", whose lineup included Hazard.

Spoiler: Kid Flash
    Show
    The rumour is that Wally is going to be joining Legends of Tomorrow next year; Victor Garber is leaving the show, which might mean losing Franz Drameh, too. That opens up some cast slots, and Wally has been established to be friends with Nate already.
    Last edited by Friv; 2017-10-27 at 11:51 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Seeing the promos at the end of the previous episode I was hoping stretchy guy would be Plasticman, and he is! Hooray! I only know the character from the cartoon show when I was a kid, but I liked that show very much and always had a soft spot for Plasticman. It appears he'll be a regular for the season, a replacement for Kid Flash perhaps. It's also nice to meet a meta who doesn't end up a villain. I know, Vibe, Kid Flash, Jessie Quick, but they're family so to speak. Plasticman is a meta reformed. This can be a fun season.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Legends
    Show
    Wow, I actually cried a bit. E.T. was one of the 3 movies that I've cried in. Really good plot overall. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Spoiler: Flash S4E4
    Show
    Another great episode. PLASTICMAN! Also great arguement on whether to do the right thing or follow the law. This season's looking up!
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    PLASTICMAN! Also great arguement on whether to do the right thing or follow the law. This season's looking up!
    Elongated Man, not Plas. I don't care what they say on the show.

I'm quite pleased with this season so far. They've gotten the humor and light-heartedness and corn just right.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Pretty good CW week.

What do you know, you can have a big villain floating around in the background while still having a fun light episode with characters that are capable of smiling.

As for legends, while the "let's take a movie and stick it in a plot" was already done at least twice so far, it was still fun.
    (and worth it even just for the candy robbing scene)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Episode 4
    Show
    Presumably they will call him Elongated Man going forward, although the character is a bit of a meld of the two. From Ralph's reaction and Barry's sheepish statement that Cisco usually makes the names, I don't think they're planning on sticking with Plastic Man.

The Plastic Man reference was a deep cut in-joke; the guy who created the Elongated Man didn't realize that DC Comics already owned Plastic Man at the time, and that he could have just used him. Some series that feature both characters make jokes about this, which each claiming that the other is a derivative loser of some sort.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post

I'm quite pleased with this season so far. They've gotten the humor and light-heartedness and corn just right.
    Yeah, the Plastic Man suggestion at the end was rejected with "that's why Cisco comes up with the name.
    Now with half the calories!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    Yeah, the Plastic Man suggestion at the end was rejected with "that's why Cisco comes up with the name.
    Additionally, the name of the episode is "Elongated Journey Into Night", so it's winked at there as well.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII