New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Flash Season Four

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    The no killing thing is so dumb... It makes sense in comics because of the comic code and the need to have reoccurring villains but in anything trying to be even remotely realistic it makes no sense. Every police force and law code I'm familiar with in the world as well as most rules of engagement considers killing to defend your life or the life of others to be a last but acceptable resort, I don't get why being able to stretch changes that. Hell they live in a crime ridden city, I wouldn't be surprised if Joe has put a few people in the ground and he's consistently the moral center of the team, plus their friends the Legends have a body count in the hundreds.

Also I forget, are they still running their little mom-and-pop metahuman gulag? Because that is arguably worse then killing anyway since they have yet to mention attempts to depower their prisoners or anything like that. If the choice is between life without parole in a 20 square foot box and death I know which one I'm picking.

Finally, looks like we found out how they're getting rid of that incarnation of Wells... too bad.
    actualy its already found mate. at each seasons and barry utilize the big bads trick to beat them. and wells kinda shot him self in the gut due his curiosity and desire to become smarter. but it also gives us the guinea pig to make sure cisco and kaytlyn to find cure to devoes main condition. thus allows perfect plot hole to find a way to seperate gestalt devoe created to keep him self safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm clinging to hope Ralph is still alive, his mind trapped while Devoe has his body. It's when Devoe transfers that the person finally dies or Devoe takes the mind with him and they're all together. When Devoe dies the minds are released, but it's only one body so Ralph lives (with or without his power).
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Also I forget, are they still running their little mom-and-pop metahuman gulag?
    Not as of a few minutes ago. Didn't you see all the bodies around DeVoe?
    Now with half the calories!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    well i see it way back i the middle of season. but it makes must save the bus metas and return them to their own bodies becomes the final goal of season.
    I'm pretty sure those bodies are dead, so the only way to do this is clone new ones or time travel. This being Barry, I think we know which he will choose. I really do hope they will stay dead, though. I liked Ralph but easy fixes to death ruin things if you try to make the deaths meaningful.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    I'm pretty sure those bodies are dead, so the only way to do this is clone new ones or time travel. This being Barry, I think we know which he will choose. I really do hope they will stay dead, though. I liked Ralph but easy fixes to death ruin things if you try to make the deaths meaningful.
    well if they want an easy fix they keeped third wells since he has more character then harry the angsty but time travel is might be on the table but first things first they gonna need save wells and best time travel scnerio needs city destroyer of a event and we dont have it on horizon.
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I wouldn't be surprised if Joe has put a few people in the ground and he's consistently the moral center of the team
    Joe is frequently shooting at bad guys. I assume that he hasn't been trained to miss, and that he has, in fact, been trained to shoot centre-mass.
    Joe is intending to kill bad guys. The fact that he doesn't, is due to how ratings work.

The next thing is, how far can you actually go without killing someone? But still may as well have?
    Providing the team could (or will) come up with some sort of workaround to able to touch DeVoe, could Barry - or anyone - simply bash his head in, causing multiple concussions, almost certain brain damage, and potential coma. But it wouldn't be 'killing', would it?

It frustrates me when shows say 'No killing', but what they really mean, is 'No significant harm'.

Batman doesn't kill. Sure. But why not take a crowbar to Joker's head for a few rounds, for old time's sake.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-04-19 at 09:18 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

In CW, I lost all hope of a character actually dying after being in more than one episode.

If they die, they will be revived.
    If they are not revived, they get a duplicate from an alternate dimension/timeline.
    Worst case scenario - They disappear to "Legends of Tomorrow", only to be seen in crossovers.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

The no killing thing is so dumb... It makes sense in comics because of the comic code and the need to have reoccurring villains but in anything trying to be even remotely realistic it makes no sense. Every police force and law code I'm familiar with in the world as well as most rules of engagement considers killing to defend your life or the life of others to be a last but acceptable resort, I don't get why being able to stretch changes that. Hell they live in a crime ridden city, I wouldn't be surprised if Joe has put a few people in the ground and he's consistently the moral center of the team, plus their friends the Legends have a body count in the hundreds.
    Green Arrow probably has a body count in the hundreds on his own
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Green Arrow probably has a body count in the hundreds on his own
    Only if he's killed all these hundreds off screen.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

For me, the annoying part about this "no killing" thing is the timing.
    It was a pointless conflict that was obviously there just to make them not go together.

Also, let's not pretend that the 1.5 square meter cell without even a toilet is much more humane...

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    It was a pointless conflict that was obviously there just to make them not go together.

Also, let's not pretend that the 1.5 square meter cell without even a toilet is much more humane...
    I think they just have enough room since two of the captured people can escape at their leisure any time they want( folded man and the mirror master) and folded man just need yoda mat size area to gtfo from there at any time.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

So we've had Canary, White Canary, Black Canary, Black Siren, and now Brown(shirt) Canary. Am I missing anyone?
    Now with half the calories!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    So we've had Canary, White Canary, Black Canary, Black Siren, and now Brown(shirt) Canary. Am I missing anyone?
    you are missing 99 other clones of same character named something canary all somehow look like laurel lance. call highlander crew she might be immortal.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Funny how Devoe calls Snart "snot" or is that just the actor's accent? Even if it is perhaps they kept it in on purpose for the funny.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

As far as i want to say i said so but its not. ms devoe finally snapped and grabbed the biggest toy in the tinkers hand and it was( cue the bobby roode theme music) glorious. poor cisco needs a break realy and caitlyn decides to find her inner psycho via upcoming journey. so nice episode this week folks.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    I still think we have more speedsters than screaming birds, but it's a close one.
    Rivaled only by the number of archers in Arrow.

Anyway, regarding the recent episode, his master plan is to make all the world except him stupid?
    He does know it's a CW world, so his plan is 70% done anyway, right?

Also, I think it's kind of humiliating that they finally managed to surprise and drop Devoe, only to lose because of a normal woman with a pointy stick.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I think for season 5, they should try what agents of shield did in season 4 by having 3 arcs in it. These season long villains have become a drag to me.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, I think it's kind of humiliating that they finally managed to surprise and drop Devoe, only to lose because of a normal woman with a pointy stick.
    [deadhorse]...and then to stand there doing nothing until Leader Iris chimes in...[/deadhorse]

Speaking of which...what exactly did Caitlyn risk that Cisco and Barry didn't? "You could have been killed?" Yup...Devoe has had zero issues killing any number of normal or meta folks so far. Why is Caitlyn's life now more valuable than Cisco or Barry?

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Speaking of which...what exactly did Caitlyn risk that Cisco and Barry didn't? "You could have been killed?" Yup...Devoe has had zero issues killing any number of normal or meta folks so far. Why is Caitlyn's life now more valuable than Cisco or Barry?

- M
    I thought it was that she was taking a greater risk than them because she doesn't have powers anymore
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought it was that she was taking a greater risk than them because she doesn't have powers anymore
    I understand that's what drove the motivation in the script...I guess my question is more along the lines of why. Cisco is just as vulnerable as Caitlyn...he doesn't have any defensive powers, armor or superspeed to avoid being hit. Heck, he can't even handle someone that Iris manages to hold off (for a little while, anyway) in a previous fight.

Caitlyn manages to tag Devoe with the freeze gun (which really should have caused more damage), displaying greater competence than Cisco, greater effect than Gypsy and greater initiative than Barry (well, we know his hesitation and cluelessness was just to give Iris a chance to "lead"). She's not the one that needs a talking to after the encounter.

- M

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

I agree a supervillain whole season story arc is getting stale. It becomes disheartening when every episode ends in failure. Any victory they do get is taken away a few episodes later. Obviously there needs to be conflict to have a story. Not having an easy victory is the drama, and you get to be the hero when you achieve the final victory. However, always losing every episode gives it a sense of wasting our time with nothingness. Get to the point already.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Well Amunet is still a terrible, terrible character. Rest of the episode was fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Well Amunet is still a terrible, terrible character. Rest of the episode was fine.
    I don't know - the win that they had was that now normal people are on the lookout for a super smart body-hopping shapeshifter ... that sounds like some writer didn't think things through (or at least the characters didn't).
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2018-05-09 at 10:35 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    . that sounds like some writer didn't think things through
    This is true of pretty much the entire show.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Joe is frequently shooting at bad guys. I assume that he hasn't been trained to miss, and that he has, in fact, been trained to shoot centre-mass.
    Joe is intending to kill bad guys. The fact that he doesn't, is due to how ratings work.

The next thing is, how far can you actually go without killing someone? But still may as well have?
    Providing the team could (or will) come up with some sort of workaround to able to touch DeVoe, could Barry - or anyone - simply bash his head in, causing multiple concussions, almost certain brain damage, and potential coma. But it wouldn't be 'killing', would it?

It frustrates me when shows say 'No killing', but what they really mean, is 'No significant harm'.

Batman doesn't kill. Sure. But why not take a crowbar to Joker's head for a few rounds, for old time's sake.
    I don't know what the parameters are of the "no killing" rule. Some shows the villains just tend to die because of their own actions or by accident in the confrontation and that's enough to satisfy the rule. Some of these characters are not going to torture or cause a great degree of pain, but often time concussion is an option for a quick and consequence free way of defusing confrontations.

Of course, what you are suggesting obviously comes with a great deal of risk of death anyone can see, as well as gruesome behavior on the heroes part. You expect them to encapsulate their morality with a nice pithy and accurate statement? They're vigilantes not philosophers, they are not even cops.

I agree. I find the writing on Flash has been very lazy for a very long time now. Also, the fact that Ralph's abstention from killing DeVoe preceded his death itself speaks to the consequences of letting DeVoe live.

The vague spirituality Ralph speaks of being "saved" right before being absorbed by DeVoe is meant to put a period of Ralphs journey to being redeemed as a hero, but its hardly profound. In the end though, that sense great morality behind superheroes letting their villains live is something it seems every instance of this genre goes back to again and again and again.

Also, ignore the parameters of the cell and the implications they are imprisoning people in prolonged solitary without adequate resources. Its obviously supposed to be humane as they occasionally put Barry in there and the rest of the team has used the cells on one another or voluntarily from time to time.

You can complain about the killing as its something the show is constantly harping on, but going after the prison accommodations as not including bathrooms is taking visual depictions of the show a little too seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post

Also, ignore the parameters of the cell and the implications they are imprisoning people in prolonged solitary without adequate resources. Its obviously supposed to be humane as they occasionally put Barry in there and the rest of the team has used the cells on one another or voluntarily from time to time.
    But there is all the difference in the world to going into one of those cells voluntarily knowing you're friends are working to get you out of there as soon as possible and seeing the cell door shut and knowing that is all you are going to see for the rest of your life

P.S
    Though now I think about it aren't all the Meta's supposed to be in Iron Heights now

27. - Top - End - #147
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm still mad because Ralph was right about putting Davoe down and he had been growing on me, seeing him turn his life around.

Also because I'm a sucker for Plastic Man and derivatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

But there is all the difference in the world to going into one of those cells voluntarily knowing you're friends are working to get you out of there as soon as possible and seeing the cell door shut and knowing that is all you are going to see for the rest of your life

P.S
    Though now I think about it aren't all the Meta's supposed to be in Iron Heights now
    There is that. Also, long prison sentences aren’t really a thing in superhero world. Everyone gets out, gets acquitted, or escapes or transferred to be used for unspeakable human experimentation or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post
    I'm still mad because Ralph was right about putting Davoe down and he had been growing on me, seeing him turn his life around.

Also because I'm a sucker for Plastic Man and derivatives.
    I was completely turned off when Oliver adopted the rule in Season 2 and stopped following the show. From the bits I gather, unlike Flash, I believe Arrow is still constantly harping on the notion that killing is inherently immoral and Oliver has to struggle to get beyond that (as well as deal with the consequences of his occasional slips).

Its a genre conceit. Its no less realistic than the notion that a small team of eclectic geniuses with no care for procedure can effectively police. That a city would accept crisis level events every month or so and continue as normal. That normal guys with guns are completely useless against superheroes whose powersets don’t include bullet immunity. Or that a super-elite hacker can instantly determine the location of anyone anywhere in the city by hacking security cameras and also you can pull up a full workup on just about everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

So the plan was for Amunet to fling her little metal thingies into space and take out a satellite. Okay, I'll buy that. If only "Team Flash" had some other way to fling some object into space to destroy a satellite that doesn't involve an electronic guidance system. I wonder where they could find something that would impart enough velocity to an object to allow it to break orbit and smash through a satellite. Seems like generating that kind of exit velocity would require a lot of speed and really good timing.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I don't know - the win that they had was that now normal people are on the lookout for a super smart body-hopping shapeshifter ... that sounds like some writer didn't think things through (or at least the characters didn't).
    That is *way* better than having face-scanning technology that can tap into every security camera in the city instantaneously. Now there's no way Devoe can hide from Iris' army of social media contacts that strangely are not in a panic and rioting about the fact that the Evil Genius has a WMD(e-intelligentification) that is going to stupefy the whole world...and are also willing to believe her "publication". He might as well cash it in now and give up on his plan. After all, it isn't like he can change the way he looks/sounds at will, or...you know...move to a different town until he is ready to launch.

In a more serious vein, I was actually excited by the fact that Iris wanted to write again. Right up until the why and how came to light.

- M

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    They're vigilantes not philosophers, they are not even cops.
    That's the problem. The Flash routinely works with Joe West - and the rest of the police department. Joe - and police - are shooting to kill.
    Terrorists are threatening the city with a nuke. The police are shooting to kill. Why doesn't Flash?

First time a prison break out happens, fair enough. Unfortunately, it happens.
    Second time, possibly a coincidence.
    Third time, that's a pattern.

If, every time a prisoner breaks out of prison - super-powers or not - they're using their freedom to terrorise and kill multiple people; Something has gone horribly wrong with the 'no kill' system. Prison only works, if people stay in it. Continuing this line of thought goes right into death penalty territory and real-world politics...Still, that's where Daredevil comes in, and beats someone's head until their brain bleeds - it's really hard to continue committing crimes you can't be prosecuted for, when you have brain damage.

Still, on-screen, like I said, I have to assume that Joe is part of a police force that hasn't been trained to miss. The fact that the antagonists are bulletproof, doesn't remove intent. Why is Flash different? By the time Barry and Ralph have their discussion on the 'no kill' rule, DeVoe had already killed at least 10 people and was explicitly planning to directly kill a protagonist on the team.

DeVoe is going to kill your friend, Barry. Don't you think about now is the time to step up? It's time to shoot to kill, or your friend, dies.

...Too late.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-05-15 at 09:10 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome