New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: King Maker Solo

1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: King Maker Solo

The creature's body is quickly consumed by the flames. With nothing else charging forward to attack you, the area seems safe for now.

Spoiler
    Show
    +2,400xp

2. - Top - End - #752
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Yey, new level.
    On the Psion side I take the alternate option Transmogrifist, since the normal class option only helps if you have a party with you.

Vindariel waits until his health is restored, before returning to his favored element. That done he begins to collect the fungi and makes his way back to the old woman's hut, using the bell and calling out:
    "I've got your fungi. Only had to kill a plant monster as big as a house to get them."

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

The old woman peers out her window at you. "Still alive? How nice. Alright, I suppose I can invite you in at the very least."

4. - Top - End - #754
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel takes this as his cue to move through the garden and to the little hut, presenting his fungi haul.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

As you cross the path from the gate to the woman's porch, you pass by a scarecrow planted near the path. While you thought nothing of it up until now, you can't help but notice that it's head turns to follow you as you pass. It doesn't do anything besides this, and you are able to enter the house without anything else creepy happening. In the center of the single room house simmers a cauldron of some substance, and the air is thick with the smell of herbs hanging to dry from the rafters. There are also a number of books sitting open on a table, though otherwise the building is fairly normal.

The woman allows you to deposit the mushrooms on a small table. She take a moment to examine them, and finding everything in order goes to fetch your reward. Despite the distance from one side of the house to the other only being a few yards, she moves slowly and leans heavily on a staff for support. She fetches a metal box from under he bed, and begins counting out coin.

"So the local fauna didn't give you to much issue? Good. Nothing worse than a kid carrying around a big sword they have no idea how to use. Now what, may I ask, are you doing this far south? You may have noticed by now, but there's a reason there are no towns in this region."

Spoiler
    Show
    You gain 1,800gp
    Last edited by Eonn; 2018-01-15 at 11:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Troll in the Playground

"You could say, that I'm here to change that. At the moment I am mapping the area - longterm I want to bring peace and security back to these lands. And if necessary I'll slay all monsters that threaten the people."
    Vindariel picks his words carefully, before he continues:
    "That said, I understand the value of solitude and the lands are certainly large enough to keep some that way for a while longer too.

Though, should you be interested in plying your trade on a larger scale, the city of Thorica welcomes all skilled craftsmen and -women as well as those with knowledge.

Are you by any chance a magic user? I noticed the moving scarecrow outside.
    I found a broken magic sword and would like to have someone cast a Make Whole on it instead of painstakingly reforging it over the course of weeks."

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

She begins cackling when you mention taming the wilderness, only to abruptly stop. "Oh, you're serious? Well, don't let this old woman stop you from trying. Believe me, the problem isn't that there are dangerous places out here, it's that every place harbors monsters and men which are you to get you. In fact, if you head south east of here, you'll come across a tribe of lizardfolk, and they're the friendliest things around. To the south is an island full of will-o'-wisps, and there's a mad man roaming around east of here." She sighs.

"You are correct about one thing, however. I do know a little magic. Fixing a weapon? I should be able to do that. Let's see it. I am going to ask for payment but I know you can afford it after what I just gave you. That kind of spell will run you... let's say 140gp."

8. - Top - End - #758
    Troll in the Playground

"Thanks for the warning. That will come in handy."
    Vindariel pulls the broken sword from his back and presents it to the old woman.
    "Here, I had to slay an undead warrior for it. Your price is fair enough and I'll gladly pay you double that if you can restore the weapon"

Spoiler
    Show

Increase Intelligence through Animal Affinity (expending Psionic Focus to use my new ability from Transmogrifist) for Int +6, superseding my current +2 (sharing the effect with my Psi Crystal)
    Aid Another from Psi Crystal (auto succeed) for another +2 to the check

Knowledge Check about will-o'-wisps

(1d20)[12]+15

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

"This sword..." she says, examining the weapon though she refuses to touch it. "I've heard about this sword, though I never thought I'd see it. Please, set it down on the table and allow me time to work with it."

She spends the next few minutes paging through arcane tomes and cross referencing with various scrolls while practically juggling totems and fetishes crafted from various plants and small animals. It takes some time, but the blade begins to mend and regrow it's lost shards like it was a wounded tree rather than a piece of steel. The woman (you don't believe she's given her name) is breathing heavily when she's done, but the weapon is restored to its former glory.

"There... it, it is done." She pauses to pant. "Now take it away, I... I feel ill. Where are those mushrooms? I need a cup of tea."

Spoiler
    Show
    You know quite a lot about the will-o'-wisps. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/mon...s/will-o-wisp/

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

"Anything I should know about this sword?

Thanks. I'll be on my way then. If you should have need of my services again, leave me a message at Thorica or at the gnome camp west of the old fort."

After learning what he could learn, Vindariel moves on to explore the rest of the sector and on to the next - with four hours worth of rest to refill his powers.
    His new magic sword gains the place of his old masterwork one.
    He is especially wary of the mad man that the old witch warned him about.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception w/Synesthet
    Vindariel: (1d20)[15]+14
    Psi Crystal: (1d20)[3]+14

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

"When it was forged, the blade was quenched in the blood of faeries. At least, that's how the stories go. Shouldn't affect you any, but you don't have fae blood in your veins. Travel safely. And for what it's worth, good luck!"

As you travel east you spot something lurking in the brush ahead of you. You're not quite able to make out what is is immediately, however.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+12)[28]
    Last edited by Eonn; 2018-01-19 at 12:55 AM.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

Just in case it's hostile, Vindariel calls up his force field and readies his new sword. Flying to ground level, he challenges whoever is hiding there:
    "Hey there, I can see you. Get out there, or I have to assume you harbor hostile intentions."

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

Whatever it was freezes in place. You hear a hiss before a large cat springs from the undergrowth. It roars at you, but turns and dashes back into the forest before you can react.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel has enough of this. With a thought he calls up telekinetic force that allows him to feel everything around him, identifying who else is hiding here.

Spoiler
    Show

Activating Touchsight

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

You are rewarded for your caution. In addition to the fleeing big cat (which turns to stalk back around once it was out of sight), you are able to make out the presence of another intelligent being hiding in the same brush as the cat. The being does not react to the cat fleeing, instead staying very, very still.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

"I warned you."
    Vindariel replies. He moves a few steps until he is sure to have line of effect on whoever is hiding there (he suspects the mad man) and says: "It's dangerous to have your pet go out alone, here, take this."
    At once he unleashes a flash freeze around him.

Spoiler
    Show

Move action until I have line of effect - ideally to both but primarily on the cat

Energy Burst (Cold):

(8d6)[27]+8 Cold Damage, Fort save DC 19 for half damage

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2018-01-21 at 06:45 AM.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

Frost and ice spread across the ground around you, with the hiding creature and cat well within your reach. You feel the mental presence of the puma fade to nothing.

From the bush bursts a man clad in crudely stitched hides. The tips of his fingers and toes have been turned blue from your attack and his the fear of death is easy to see. He turns to flee into the forest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort. saves
    (1d20+3)[6]
    (1d20+5)[9]
    Last edited by Eonn; 2018-01-22 at 06:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel takes to the air and follows the man out of sight, relying on his psionic touch sense to keep track of him. He is interested to see where the man is going.

Spoiler
    Show

Free Action: Astral Skin
    Stealth: (1d20)[18]+10

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+11)[30]

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

The man notices you following him. "It ain't me fault! They made me do it!" He howls as he tries to loose you in a particularly dense part of the forest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make an opposed Acrobatics check to keep up with him (1d20+12)[28]
    Your flight gives you +10 on this check. If you succeed, you can make another stealth check to tail him.
    Last edited by Eonn; 2018-01-23 at 02:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I upgraded my fly ability to perfect and am currently sporting 18 Dex. I'm still wearing those elven boots, so I'm currently at a +18 Acrobatics
    Acrobatics:
    (1d20)[18]+18
    Stealth:
    (1d20)[13]+10

Evading branches and other vegetation by gaining height, Vindariel gains some time to think about what he just heard.
    The man is clearly mad and likely needs help. Unfortunately he hasn't progressed that far into the mysteries of the mind to render aid to the broken mind. But maybe with enough time and some care there might be something to salvage. But in any case he can not allow this man to go free unchecked. His attack cat maybe dead, but that doesn't mean the mad man is not dangerous.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2018-01-23 at 02:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks to your flight, you are able to follow him through the forest with ease. After a few minutes, he slows down to look behind him. Believing that he lost you, he changes direction. Tailing him for a mile, you watch him come to a rather large tree. He pulls on a knot in the bark, a few feet up from the ground and a whole sheet of bark comes away, allowing the man to step inside. It would seem like the tree is hollow, and the makeshift door rather well camouflaged.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel landed softly in front of the concealed door and concentrated on the one strike he would have. With a quick movement he ripped away the cover, ready to strike with the flat of his blade, suppressing for the moment the static effect of his weapon.

Spoiler
    Show

Preparation: Standard action: Insightful strike (+20 to hit)
    Swift action: Time Skitter

Next round:
    Move action: Open door
    Standard action: Non-lethal Power Attack:
    (1d20)[8]+32: damage: (2d6)[10]+21 non-lethal: if crit: (1d20)[7]+32: damage: (2d6)[8]+21
    Should he be still conscious
    Minute Hand:
    (1d20)[14]+10: damage: (2d6)[9]+21 non-lethal: if crit: (1d20)[1]+10: damage: (2d6)[8]+21

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

The man is only able to gasp in surprise of your sudden entrance before he collapses, the force of the blow leaving your blade vibrating for a moment after. It would be awhile before he wakes up.

In the mean time, you are able to get a look around the hut. It contains very little. A chair and small table, both fashioned crudely from untreated wood; a wood bowl and spoon; and a pile of dried leaves which are piled in one corner- likely a bed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception if you want to search the place, otherwise you're up.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel quickly binds the man with rope before searching his place. He is careful to use his third eye as well so as not to pick up a cursed item that might have caused the man's insanity.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception w/ Synesthete and Detect Magic/Psionics active:

Vindariel: (1d20)[7]+14
    Psi Crystal: (1d20)[6]+14

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

You are able to find a trace of magic coming from beneath the pile of leaves. Carefully shifting the dry foliage away, you find a small pit where a few valuables have been stashed, emphasis on few. There are two potions in dirt coated bottle, a small sum of coins, and a locket wrapped in an old cloth. Opening the locket, you see a small portrait of a woman with her two sons. It wouldn't be hard to assume that one of the children is now the man you have tied up on the floor.

You find nothing else noteworthy in the dwelling.

Spoiler
    Show
    The coin totals 164sp and 31gp

27. - Top - End - #777
    Troll in the Playground

Looking at the locket, Vindariel remembers Bokken and his story about his mad brother that killed their mother. Could the mad man be his brother?
    In any case, it seems time to return to the city to deliver the man into the care of a healer - or the headsman, depending on what the healer says.

Carrying the man will be uncomfortable, but with a quick reconfiguring of his armor at least the travel will be fast.

Spoiler
    Show

XP for cat and man?

Also, spending two reconfigures to convert all my configuration points to fly speed increase, for a total of 250 ft. per round or 25 miles/hour

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

With all your power used to propel you forward, you are able to arrive back in town in mere hours instead of the days it would take most. You are able to deposit the man with a doctor, or the closest thing your town has as such, anyways. The healer, an stern old woman named Niska, reluctantly agrees to help the man if she can. Dispite still unconscious from the fight at the time, Niska wishes to keep him bound for the time being.

As you are about to leave the woman's residence, you notice a diminutive figure peeking through a window of the building. He waves to you, revealing himself to be none other than Mikmek. He seems happy to see you again.

Spoiler
    Show
    2,200xp for both Cat and the man.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel leaves the house and greets the kobold: "Hello Mikmek, nice to see you. Everything alright? I'm on my way to Bokken. I might have found his crazy brother."

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, many crazy humans here now." He says. "You should see who came in the other day, making lots of trouble. You should probably come see." He gestures for you to follow him. Should you come with him, he leads you to the town square. A sizable crowd has gathered before a man speaking on a crude stage. You've never seen this man before, but he speaks loudly and confidently.

"...and while our so called leader is out gallivanting through the Narlmarches on a fool's errand, our town has been positively overrun with these kobolds! There's a reason kobolds are kept out of towns elsewhere, do we need to see it first hand for our self before we come to our senses?"