New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: King Maker Solo

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: King Maker Solo

The man peeks through the slot in the door.

"Wait just a darn minute. You ain't no bandit! Boy, I almost shot you." He says. The slot is shut. You can hear mechanisms on the other side of the door being disengaged before it opens to you, inviting you in. "Ain't got lots of visitor 'ere. Got potions though! Got a few brewed up and ready, and can make some to order, too! Let's see your gold."

Spoiler: Inside the shack
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel stepped through the door and produced the small bag of coins, jiggling it.
    "I'll be traversing the countryside and could use some potions for emergencies - antidotes, sickness protection, restoratives. If I encounter more bandits than I can handle, a nice emergency potion would also be prudent to have on hand."
    He looked around:
    "You have a cozy place here, just a shame it's so far away from anywhere. What made you chose the life of an eremite?"

Vindariel asked as casually as he could.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

He shoves his hand towards your face. You notice he's missing a finger.

"See this?" He says, referring to the missing finger. "Me brother did this. Bastard cut that offa me the last time he hit my mother, Desna rest her soul. But he took off right after to live in a hollow tree down south rather than face the law, so I guess it all worked out well enough. I thought I could and give 'em my what for coupla years back. Came out 'ere to find 'em, but had too much trouble with the locals. I'm just stayin' where its safe nowadays."

Hearing you coin purse jingle, he happily shows you to a cabinet against the back wall of his shack. In addition to the tools and reagents for his craft, there are a few vials lined up neatly in a row.

"Them there are cure potions, just the light flavor." He says, gesturing to the first two of the six vials. "Two in the middle are endure elements. That one's the cure in the moderate flavor." He pauses, stroking his unkempt beard while staring at the last vial. "Not sure what the last one is, just that it's something good for yeh. I'll sell it at a discount though, if you want to try your luck."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    He has the potions stated above and he's selling them at full price (50gp for the first two types, 300gp for the more powerful cure potion). In addition, he's selling a random first level potion for 25gp. He can also make a potion for you from the adept spell list, up to the second spell level.
    Last edited by Eonn; 2017-10-14 at 05:12 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

"Interesting. I'll keep an eye out for your brother.
    I'll take the two cure potions and the mystery bottle.

If you have the time, could you brew me a protection from evil and an invisibility potion? I'm sure those will come in handy."

Counting out the money, Vindariel said: "I'm exploring the country to the east tomorrow. Is there anything there that I should be aware about?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Bokken bites your gold to make sure it's real. Each and every coin.

"Don't rightly know. Nevah saw anything interesting there myself though. What I do know is that there be a fangberry thicket southwest of here. I use 'em for my potions. Makes 'em taste good. I'll make it worth your while if you bring me a bunch of 'em!"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

"I'll certainly do so if you can show me what they look like. I might visit you again on my way back. Until then, farewell."
    Shaking Bokken's hand, Vindariel leaves the small hut. There are still a few hours of daylight left and although he isn't really reliant on his eyes, his horse very much is.

After making sure he is moving in the right direction, he sets his course to take him a bit farther east, so he can finish exploring this area.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Bokken is able to show you some of the remaining berries that he hasn't juiced yet before you leave.

You are almost done exploring this area when the sun sets. You are able to go for a few hours longer before your horse grows tired. You also need your few hours of meditation as well. It may be a good idea to set up camp and rest.

Show
    You can make a perception test to try to identify the potion you bought.
    Last edited by Eonn; 2017-10-15 at 11:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel did just that. He updated his journal, gave his horse its foddersack and made himself comfortable for his meditation.

When he was finished he took some time to study the arcane signature of his mystery potion, concluding that it was a protection from chaos potion - quite useful when you had to content with animals and bandits.

Spoiler
    Show

Survival test to find a good spot to rest:
    (1d20)[18]+1

When he felt his horse was rested enough again, he saddled up to explore the eastern border of the territory.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2017-10-15 at 12:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

You manage to find a nice spot near a small pond for you horse to drink from. Night passes quickly as you meditate, and before you know it the sun rises again. It is the dawn of the third day of your journey.

With so little land left to explore, you manage to fully map the area just a few hours after dawn.

Spoiler: Hex Status
    Show
    Terrain: Plains
    Points of interest: Bokken's hut

You gain 100xp for fully exploring the hex.
    Last edited by Eonn; 2017-10-15 at 05:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Taking his trail rations into account, Vindariel realized that he could explore the eastern edge, go south and make his way back to Olev's without having to rely on his psionic sustenance.
    So he packed up and made his way to the next quadrant on his still quite blank map.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Moving into the next area takes little time as you were already near the easternmost edge of the quadrant you had just explored. You begin traveling the region, filling in your map as you go.

Show
    Roll perception for me, please.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel went about his way, scanning the horizon. It helped that the bonded crystal in his breast pocket also extended it's awareness across the plains

Spoiler
    Show

Perception Vindariel
    (1d20)[3]+3
    Perception Psi crystal
    (1d20)[20]+6

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

"Vindariel, we're being followed." Your psi crystal chimes via your telepathic link. You turn to look behind you, but don't see anything in the tall prairie grass.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel concentrated on his synesthetic ability, allowing him to feel sound like sunlight on his skin, trying to pinpoint whatever is after them.
    Considering that it might be some kind of predator, he draws his sword and gets of his horse

Spoiler
    Show

Using the synesthete discipline talent (costs no psi points as long as I am psionically focused)

(1d20)[2]+7

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

You sense nothing more than the midday sun and a light breeze flowing through the grassland. Perhaps whatever your psicrystal had detected is gone now, or perhaps it was mistaken. Or maybe you're about to walk into an ambush.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Sharing a telepathic connection with a sentient piece of crystal has other benefits too - mainly that he can share his powers with the crystal. Again he manifests the power, but this time shares it with the crystal, so it can tell him instead where the danger is located.

Spoiler
    Show

Manifest Synsesthete on the stone and have it try to pinpoint the danger
    (1d20)[14]+10

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2017-10-16 at 04:12 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Your psicrystal is just able to detect -something- hiding in the tall grass. *50 feet ahead, 5 degrees to your left.* The crystal chimes. With the aid from your crystal, you are able to make out a feature lurking, waiting. It doesn't seem to know that you've spotted it yet, but you can't be quite sure what it even is yet.

Show
    If you want to attack, roll initiative.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

"Sometimes a display of strength is enough to avoid bloodshed all together."
    As Vindariel concentrates, his form begins change - where before a tall man stood, now suddenly a creature as large as an Oger stands, wielding an appropriately sized sword with an enormous reach.
    Vindariel's voice rumbles across the plain: "Show yourself."

Spoiler
    Show

Ini
    (1d20)[5]+3

Minor Metamorphosis: Enhancement Menu A: Increase your size by one size category (+2 size bonus to Strength, -2 size penalty to Dexterity, appropriate size modifiers to AC, CMB, attack rolls, etc). This effect does not stack with other effects that increase your size.

STR 20, DEX 14, AC 17, Reach +1
    Weapon damage 3d6+10
    If whatever is out there charges me, it has to cross my threatened area and eats an attack of opportunity
    (1d20)[6]+5

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

A creature, a large wolf now that you can see it, rises from the grass. Just as you are worried about it attacking, it turns and flees. Apparently, it doesn't want anything to do with you while you're twice your size and aware of it's presence.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel pulled his bow from his back and shot an arrow after the wolf as long as it was still in reach of his long bow. Wounding it would certainly reinforce the notion not to tangle with him again.

Spoiler
    Show

Move action to pull bow out
    (1d20)[9]+3
    Damage(1d10)[4]+2

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Your arrow flies in a beautiful arch, but lands just shy of the retreating animal. A moment later, it disappears into the brush, out of your reach.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing this as an adequate outcome of his venture, Vindariel got back on his horse and had it gallop for a few minutes to increase the distance to the wolf. After all, where one wolf is there might be a whole pack.

Once he deemed the distance sufficient, he reduced speed and began again to survey the land.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

You are able to continue your mission unharassed for the rest of the day. Eventually, however, dusk comes. Like the day before, you set up camp so you may get the few hours of rest your body requires. Your meditation is interrupted, however by the voice of your psicrystal ringing through your mind.

*Vindariel, it's back.*

Your return to the waking world is hastened by the scream of your horse.

Show
    Roll Initiative. Make a perception check at a -10 for you, and a standard check from your crystal. You need to beat a (1d20+9)[13] stealth check or you are surprised for the first round, unless you had some way to alert yourself to an attack ahead of time.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[8]-4 Perception
    Crystal:
    (1d20)[3]+6

The reaction came too late, Vindariel's trance had been too deep and beast was on him before he could react
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2017-10-17 at 02:23 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

The wolf seems to blend into the night, the moonlight making it's red eyes glow.

"Die, meat." It growls. You realize that this is no wolf, it's a worg!

The beast leaps at you, hoping to make the most of catching you unaware by pinning you to the ground.

Show
    It's initiative for next round: (1d20+4)[11]
    Attack: (1d20+5)[12]+trip if successful
    Damage: (1d4+2)[6]
    Trip attempt: (1d20+4)[8]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

"Not tonight." Vindariel calls out, while the claws scrabble uselessly across his armor.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2017-10-18 at 01:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Despite being flatfooted the attack misses thanks to the astral armor
    Ini (1d20)[2]+3
    Move action to draw the great sword
    Standard Action: Power Attack: (1d20)[14]+4
    20% miss chance (1d10)[4]
    (2d6)[9]+12

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

The worg lunges for your throat, hoping for an easy kill.

Show
    (1d20+5)[18] +trip
    damage (1d4+2)[5]
    trip (1d20+4)[17]

...but catches your sword to its torso instead. The beast yips in pain, no longer able to stand from the bloody slash across its shoulder. It's unable to continue fighting, but not quite dead.
    Last edited by Eonn; 2017-10-18 at 03:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Attack (1d20)[5]+5
    Miss chance 20%: (1d10)[10]
    damage (2d6)[10]+9

"Good try - may your ancestors welcome you."
    Vindariel replied while swinging his sword around for a death blow.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Click this =P

You gain 400xp

With the worg dispatched your horse begins to calm down. For the moment, it seems you are safe.