New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: King Maker Solo

1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: King Maker Solo

Stepping out of range again, Vindariel notices that this bear is very bad news, even with his inherent advantages. But where the animal is strong in body it is likely weak in mind.
    Stepping back out of range of the animals claws, he strikes again with a savage blow

Spoiler
    Show

That was a close one. I really should not let the thing grapple me.

(1d20)[7]+7

Damage: (3d6)[5]+14

Opportunity Attack:
    (1d20)[13]+7

Damage: (3d6)[8]+14

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Your first swing goes wide, but in the time it take for the bear to close on you again you are able to recover and strike it. The beast is now bleeding heavily. Though it is still fighting, it is on death's door.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Another round of claws with a potential for a grapple.

Attack: (1d20+7)[27] Damage: (1d6+5)[10]
    Attack: (1d20+7)[14] Damage: (1d6+5)[10]

Grapple: (1d20+13)[18]

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

One of its giant paws strike with bone crushing force, though you are able to draw away before it can pin you.

Spoiler: Crit Confirm
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+7)[11] Damage: (1d6+5)[11]

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

A savage blow catches Vindariel and tears a deep gash across his chest, splintering the black chitinous material of his astral suit. Lucky for him, he escapes the second claw and avoids being caught in a bear hug.
    Stepping back once more, he focuses on a final attack combo, using less force and more precision.

Spoiler
    Show

5ft step back
    (1d20)[13]+8
    Damage (3d6)[12]+11

Opportunity attack
    (1d20)[14]+8
    Damage (3d6)[13]+11

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

The animal collapses with an almost human sounding sigh of relief. Before your eye it begins to shrink, transforming into an incredibly old human with a look of peace in his eyes, before crumbling into dust. At that moment the entire shrine becomes more colorful. The thorny vines blossom and sick trees become emerald green. Stepping outside, you see a certain faerie dragon happily flitting through the air above the pool of water which is now crystal clear and glows with holy energy.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

"Rest in peace... ouch." Vindariel lets his concentration abate and resumes his normal size. He missed his chance to shore up his life force with that of his opponent and so he is forced to heal up the old fashioned way.
    He walks down to the pool and begins to clean his wounds with the water, before he dresses it with a bandage.

To his dragon friend he calls out: "You were right to stay away. That was a really dangerous bear."

Spoiler
    Show

Heal check:
    (1d20)[7]

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

*Of course Perlivash was right! Nest had bad, dirty aura. Now fun and nice!* The faerie dragon accents this by doing a loop da loop in the air.

You notice as you tend to your wounds that the water does more than was the blood away. The injuries themselves vanish when treated with the temple's water.

Show
    The water acts like a potion of cure light wounds for a time. You can effectively drink (or wash) away all your wounds before continuing on.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel washes up and after a little rest - again sharing his meal with the fairies - he gets up:
    "Alright, a promise is a promise. Let's visit the hot springs. I can map this place when I bring back the priest.

Lead the way."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a few hours until your destination. Tyg comes and goes during that time, but Perlivash is content to stay perched on your head.

You smell the springs before you see them. The sulfurous smell of rotten eggs lingers in the air, but the dragon assures you the springs are worth it. Soon, you can hear the water bubbling forth from its source as well. Perlivash, quite excited, takes off and flies ahead. The normally cheery dragon's disposition soon changes however. Just as he goes out of sight, you hear a crack like that from a whip as Perlivash's telekinetic scream echoes through your head.

*Gah! Don't like don't like! Help Perlivash!*

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel drops his backpack, dismisses his astral suit for the lighter skin and runs as fast as he can towards where the small dragon has vanished. There isn't time for more than pulling out his sword on the run and hoping that he isn't too late.

Spoiler
    Show

Astral skin for 40ft. base movement
    AC 18 (Studded Leather + Dex 16 + Stance)
    Ini
    (1d20)[13]+7

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

You break into a rocky clearing where two giant frogs are resting. One of them is clearly chewing on something, Perlivash if his cries are anything to go by. The amphibians clearly didn't expect to be disturbed, giving you an advantage.

Show
    You have a surprise round.

Frogs: (1d20+1)[19]
    Perlivash: (1d20+3)[8]

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

There is no time for any subtle trick: Charging the frog before it can swallow Perlivash seems to be the only real chance.

Spoiler
    Show

Power Attack Charge (AC 16)
    Crane strike
    (1d20)[18]+8
    or
    (1d20)[10]+8

Damage (2d6)[3]+8

Since I win the Ini I'll strike at the survivor
    (1d20)[3]+6

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Though you cut deep into the frog, you don't manage to kill it. The frog hops away and swallows its prey whole. Luckily, the dragon's very vocal telepathic complaints make it clear that he's still alive, and a flash of light momentarily illuminates its belly. The second frog, though it is too small to eat you, tries to take a bite out of you.

Show
    Frog 1 takes a 5 foot step away and swallows Perlivash, who takes (1d4)[2] damage.
    Frog 2 bites you: (1d20+3)[23] damage- (1d6+2)[7]

Perlivash uses his breath weapon. The frog need a fort save dc 12 (1d20+6)[14] or is staggered, sickened, and immune to fear effects.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

The frog that bite you clings onto your leg, drawing blood.

Spoiler: Crit confirm
    Show
    (1d20+3)[19] (1d6+2)[8]

Hey, now I'm rolling really well!
    Last edited by Eonn; 2017-11-02 at 03:25 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

What a great time to overcome your dice roller curse
    That's 13 damage after DR

taking a 5 ft step back so I can get both frogs into a cone for swarm of crystals
    Spending 4 power points

(4d4)[14]

With a howl and a curse, Vindariel conjures up a storm of razor sharp crystal to slize those bastard frogs to shreds.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

The frogs are eviscerated. After a few moments of their corpses falling still, Perlivash is able to climb free from the now mutilated animal. The faerie dragon is cover in a thick layer of slime, but it otherwise no worse for wear. Mumbling about needing a bath, the dragon stumbles towards the water.

Show
    Alright, I forgot to give you xp for the bear, didn't I? Let's see here... you get 800xp for the frog and 900xp for the bear, and 200xp for the two hexes you've explored now.

Terrain: Forest
    Features: Temple of the Elk

Terrain: Forest
    Features: Hot Springs

How's the map going?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel helps to clean up the little dragon and takes healing potion himself, before going for a soak in the hot water. The pain abates somewhat and he feels how the experience has hardened his resolve just as it expanded his understanding.

When he gets out and clothed again, he feels refreshed. To the little dragon he says: "I have to go back to my people. There is a holy man than wants to see the old temple where the bear was. Do you mind if I tell him about you? I'm certain he'll be happy to meet you. He might even be fun to be around."

Once everything is back in order, Vindariel tracks back to Oleg's camp, making a short detour to finally fetch the stashed traps, so Oleg can sell them.

Spoiler: map
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Level up!
    This is going nicely.

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2017-11-02 at 05:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Perlivash skirts around giving you a straight answer for a time, but ends up agreeing if only to have someone new to play jokes on.

The dragon accompanies you back part of the way, but doesn't stray far from his forest home. It takes almost a full day on horseback, but you eventually make it back to the trading post where you are greeted warmly by Svetlana and Oleg.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

After the by now usual greetings and Svetlana's delicious cooking, Vindariel lets Oleg know - discreetly - that he has a lead on the missing ring.
    Afterwards he went to find the priest:
    "I bring good news: I found the temple and had to slay a bear that lived there. When it died, it turned into an old man, who crumbled to dust immediately. Afterwards the water in the pool turned clear helped healing my wounds. If you'd like to accompany me, I'll show you the way.
    Oh and be warned: I befriended two fairies that live close by. They like to play pranks but they have good hearts. You better stock up on sweets if you want to become their friend too."

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

"Erastil be praised, that is fantastic news!" Exclaims Jhod about your success finding the temple. "If you befriended them, I'm sure they're not malicious. I'll see to scrounging up some sweets before we leave."

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel nodds and says: "I'll meet you at the gates. I've got to buy some more provisions."

Tracking back towards the temple, Vindariel enjoys the priest's company and the chance to talk to someone:
    "So, what made you come out here into the wilderness? Are you just interested in lost places, or was it misfortune that brought you here?

I can tell you, this place has potential - once the bandits are gone and the monsters have been driven back, there will be lots of arable land. The kobolds seem by and large reasonable - they even tend to their own gardens, which for me is a definite sign that they are capable of civil interaction. Provided I can find out what is going on between them and those Mites. Those seem to be a lot less friendly from what I've heard."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

"I was simply wandering and Erastil in his divine wisdom lead me here. Upon my arrival I heard about abandoned temples and wayshrines throughout the region. I figured it must be my calling." Jhod replies, confidant in his role in the Stolen Lands. "That's good to know. I've never seen a kobold before, but I've been told they usually aren't too friendly. I wonder what's different with the local group, or maybe the stories I've been told have been somewhat exaggerated."

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

"I certainly intend to investigate what's going on with the Kobolds.
    Do you know - by chance - someone called Sharptooth?"

When they reach the temple, Vindariel leaves the priest and moves westward to investigate the final quadrant in this row.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sharptooth? No. Why is it important?"

Jhod whistles as he looks over the face of the temple. "Thank you for your help. It would seem I have a lot of work ahead of me. Like I promised, I'll be here if you need access to my spells."

Show
    Jhod is a cleric level 4, and now will cast any spell he know on you for free, unless it has an expensive component which he expects you to pay for.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

"I don't know yet, it's just something a Kobold said to me. I'll tell you more as soon as I know.

Thank you for your help. I'll come back to you about those spells."

Leaving the priest to clean up the temple, Vindariel moves past the hot springs and out toward the border .

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

The forest breaks just west of the hot springs, becoming familiar grasslands. You, with your trusty steed, are able to move quickly and finishing mapping in record time for a area of this size.

Show
    One of the very last black tiles on the map.

Terrain: Plains
    Features: N/A

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Having done that, Vindariel moves further south and works his way back east. By now he has a pretty good feel for the wild: At the first sign of trouble he dismounts and readies his weapon...

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

You stumble across a 15 foot tall statue of the god Erastil towards the edge of the Narlmarches. It's partially overgrown and damaged by the years. Looking around, there is nothing significant nearby, making it's presence feel out of place.

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Show
    You can make a perception check if you'd like to examine the statue or its surrounding area closer.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel is pretty sure his priest friend will want to know about the statue, so he takes a closer look, clearing away the growth to see if there are any remarkable elements to the statue.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception
    (1d20)[1]+3
    (1d20)[9]+6

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

You find something quite accidentally as you explore the surrounding area. While you were looking around, you weren't watching your footing and ended up tumbling into a shallow ditch. You get your breath knocked out of you, but your otherwise fine. As you pick yourself up, you realize the stone walls of the pit are made by intelligent design. Though they are long since covered in moss, it clear there was a building here in ages past, and you now stand in what was once it's basement. By the looks of it, the structure was fairly large. Despite that, nothing besides the foundation remains.

Show
    You take (1d6)[3] nonlethal damage.