New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Tempest cleric (booming blade)

I'm a tempest cleric with magic initiate for booming blade. I 'boom' an enemy fighter in my turn. Next turn the fighter declares that he will attack me three times (he hasn't moved).

I use my reaction to thunderously rebuke him and push him back 10 feet.

Which scenario is correct?

a) the fighter attacks three times, then is rebuked and pushed back 10ft. No 'second boom'
    b) the fighter attacks once, is pushed back 10ft and if he wants to use his next two attacks must now move back in and trigger the 'second boom'
    Last edited by Brother carc; 2017-10-12 at 02:31 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Tempest cleric (booming blade)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother carc View Post
    I'm a tempest cleric with magic initiate for booming blade. I 'boom' an enemy fighter in my turn. Next turn the fighter declares that he will attack me three times (he hasn't moved).

I use my channel divinity to thunderously rebuke him and push him back 10 feet.

Which scenario is correct?

a) the fighter attacks three times, then is rebuked and pushed back 10ft. No 'second boom'
    b) the fighter attacks once, is pushed back 10ft and if he wants to use his next two attacks must now move back in and trigger the 'second boom'
    B sounds right to me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Option B sounds right. Unless you wait until after the 3rd strike to rebuke him, which would be kinda silly.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I would go with B. Given he is allowed to split his attacks around his movement, (it would be legitimate for him to attack you once, move to someone else, and attack them twice) his attacks can't all occuring simultaneously.

5. - Top - End - #5

GnomeWizardGuy

I would say mostly B. You're high enough in lvl to have wrath of the Storm and Thunderous Strike, right?

So it can't just attack you to tripper Wrath of the Storm. It has to hit you. If first attack hits you then it trigers Wrath of the Storm. You have to pick Lightning damage to trigger Thunderous Strike to go off with it (TS doesn't work on Thunder). Once it has hit you and triggered this, yes, it should be thrown 10 feet away while taking the lightning damage.

I don't think this kind of movement triggers BB. But it has to move to re-engage you, and that would trigger BB. If it knows it's been BB'd it might instead not move and throw a weapon at you, if it can.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    I would say mostly B. You're high enough in lvl to have wrath of the Storm and Thunderous Strike, right?

So it can't just attack you to tripper Wrath of the Storm. It has to hit you. If first attack hits you then it trigers Wrath of the Storm. You have to pick Lightning damage to trigger Thunderous Strike to go off with it (TS doesn't work on Thunder). Once it has hit you and triggered this, yes, it should be thrown 10 feet away while taking the lightning damage.

I don't think this kind of movement triggers BB. But it has to move to re-engage you, and that would trigger BB. If it knows it's been BB'd it might instead not move and throw a weapon at you, if it can.
    Voluntary movement triggers BB's rider. So the push from rebuke or Repelling Blast wouldn't proc it.
    Them moving to get back into melee after being pushed would.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Awesome though, because it allows me to semi-reliably get the booming blade rider off

8. - Top - End - #8

SwashbucklerGuy

Thunderbolt Strike: At 6th level, when you deal lightning damage to a Large or smaller creature, you can also push it up to 10 feet away from you.

Divine Strike: At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target.

We know that booming blade does thunder damage.

So my question is: how are you dealing the lightning damage that would push the target away from you?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arial Black View Post
    Thunderbolt Strike: At 6th level, when you deal lightning damage to a Large or smaller creature, you can also push it up to 10 feet away from you.

Divine Strike: At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target.

We know that booming blade does thunder damage.

So my question is: how are you dealing the lightning damage that would push the target away from you?
    Wrath of the Storm. 1st-level reactionary power (usable equal to your WIS modifier times per day) in response to being hit by an attack by an enemy within 5 ft. Deals 2d8 lightning or thunder damage, DEX save for half.

10. - Top - End - #10

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brother carc View Post
    Awesome though, because it allows me to semi-reliably get the booming blade rider off
    It's actually a pretty clever use of Wrath of the Storm. What I'd just keep in mind though is you only have a certain number of uses of this per long rest, thus only a certain number of times you can "reliably" trigger the BB.
    Be excellent to each other.