1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Can you hook up a PS3 to a Desktop to access the internet via it?

So my only ps3 is an original 20gb model(since I wanted a backwards compatible one for reasons), and lately I've been wondering... could I hook it up to my desktop somehow to grant it internet access? The modem/router is not anywhere near my TV/Desk setups, and this model by default had no innate wifi access(is there some part I could buy that would let it do that? I've also wondered if upping it's memory is a thing.)
    Nine Lives Disciple(PoW archetype), Quicksilver Lance(wip PoW archetype)
    Kitty over on Steam. Furries itP
    "Dahlia" in a certain fallen city
    Yamabushi(mystic archetype)

"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable." ~found on a badly translated store page on steam

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Can you hook up a PS3 to a Desktop to access the internet via it?

Upping memory I'll leave to someone else, but if you have an unused ethernet port on your desktop I see no reason why you couldn't just run an ethernet cable between your desktop and PS3, then use internet connection sharing in windows.

Network and Sharing center -> Manage network adaptors -> rightclick your network connection (I'm guessing wifi) -> properties -> Sharing Tab -> Share this connection.

You might need to select which network you're sharing to, but if so that should be fairly self explanatory from this point.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile (A campaign setting, resuming development.)
    Under Construction: A series of short stories set in the Exile setting.

(The Artist Formerly Known as Norren)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

You'd probably be better off googling on your own. I know that in principle it's possible to swap out the hard drive of a system for a bigger one, but in practice I don't know how accessible Sony made the drive. If the drive is accessible, though, I can tell you that swapping out hard drives is a cinch.

And while Alent's point stands if your PS3 happens to be near your computer, you might want to look into a wireless bridge. It's a wifi enabled box that allows you to plug in cables for stuff that doesn't have innate wifi capability. You can turn your computer into a bridge, but the boxes are smaller and cheaper if you don't have any handy computers nearby.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    You'd probably be better off googling on your own. I know that in principle it's possible to swap out the hard drive of a system for a bigger one, but in practice I don't know how accessible Sony made the drive. If the drive is accessible, though, I can tell you that swapping out hard drives is a cinch.
    This is correct, the Hard Drive is an easy swap, but if you have any saved games on it, back them up to a usb stick first, or you'll lose them.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PS3s use a standard laptop SATA hard drive. The maximum capacity is somewhere between 1 and 2 TB, but anything over 1TB is pretty chancy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

My current ps3 has a usable space of about 10-15gb, so any increase would be useful. As for the internet thing... I'll try the ethernet port thingy first. I think I have a spare cable somewhere, and my only computer monitor is also my only tv, so my ps3 HAS to be adjacent to my desktop.
    Nine Lives Disciple(PoW archetype), Quicksilver Lance(wip PoW archetype)
    Kitty over on Steam. Furries itP
    "Dahlia" in a certain fallen city
    Yamabushi(mystic archetype)

"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable." ~found on a badly translated store page on steam