New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Dynamic Casting System

Hey guys I am trying to come up with the design of a "spell-less" casting system. My system currently uses the spell system from d&d 5e, but I am looking to change that into a more dynamic lightweight system. The idea would be you can gain mastery in certain elements or areas of magic and then you could use it the cast improvised magic on the fly. Any ideas for how to structure this or how it should work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by clash; 2017-10-13 at 02:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dynamic Casting System

The answer is about one hundred percent dependent on what the rest of the system is like. A spellcasting system for a game like Fate is going to be totally different than one that works for something like D&D 3.5.

Also, have you looked at things like Pathfinder's Spheres of Power, Ars Magica, and Mage: The Ascension/Mage: The Awakening? Those are all crunchy systems that are in the same general neighborhood, I think.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2017-10-13 at 02:17 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Dynamic Casting System

Yes sorry, its most similiar to d&d 5e. Edited the original post to add that. I have looked at some of those, but I generally dont like how number crunchy they are. I want a more simple and elegant solution. Something where players can just use magic quickly on the fly without consulting and bunch of rules to calculate it.