New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th edition!

1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 4th edition!

I am also hoping they lose the spells per day mechanic and move to a target number system for casting. That would prevent magic from being reliable artillery to more dynamic. Increasing the DC for future spells cast in a short period to prevent magic overload.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    7 is really insane.

Isn't the whole idea of non-core material that it is optional?
    From an official GM standpoint, I expect that what we GMs will be tested on in 4e will be the three core books and the four optional core books as opposed to just the three core books we are tested on now. I am only Herald level GM now but hope to move up later. With these new mechanics, I am wondering what I have to look forward to.
    The easy I do before breakfast,
    The difficult I do all day long,
    The impossible achieved during the workweek,
    Miracles performed when possible.
    People call me the Fixer,
    and I am here to help you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fixer's Guide to Neutrality
    Fixer's Fighter Fix
    (Campaign) Characters:
    Searching For... Goldenrod
    Survival... Gelder

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

I just whipped up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4dventure

Contribute.
    — Nicolaos of Aepternacos

3. - Top - End - #273

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Paladin View Post
    Could you please generally outline this system?
    Talent system originates from D20 Modern - just look up Modern SRD and you'll have it.
    Three are the paths of soul:
    One out - roam across the plain,
    One back - dwell with the tribe and tent,
    One in - turn an enemy's hate.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    They say people do crazy things for love...unfortunately, I'm not in love, and I'm still crazy!

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded. Finally giving credit where due, and it only took me 20 pages of search

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

If they can fix some item weight issues (pot, rope, tarp, and others I'm looking at you) and put out a 4.0 Rules Compendium then I'd be happy to convert.

Also, Warlock in Core. Corelock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Fanfiction R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Wgah'nagl fhtagn! Wgah'nagl fhtagn!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Paladin View Post
    Could you please generally outline this system?
    Every other level a character gains a talent, which is essentially a class-specific feat. For example, a Scoundrel sould take a talent to distract his opponents, a Noble might take one to provide a bonus to his allies and a Jedi might take on to deflect blaster bolts. In other words, it's a pool from where you pick your class abilities.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

BTW: For all you First Timers out there, don't worry about the agnst of Changing Editions.... It'll fade away soon enough. I've gone through this cycle many a time, and really, I just view it with detached bemusment now.

If you worry that all of your old books will be worthless, don't. You'll still be able to pull them off the shelf and get inspiration off of them (or,. at the very least, you'll be able to flog them on eBay).
    If you're worried about spending more money on the hobby, don't. After all, what's the difference between plunking 30-40 bucks on a new PHB next May and plunking 30 bucks on the Newest Spalt/Sourcebook next May? Answer: Nothing at all.
    If you're worried about being left behind, don't. You see, there will be some overlap (at least 18 months) as people transition from one system to the next. There will be plenty of time for you to hear from people you trust about the Pros and Cons of the New System.
    And finally, if you are worried that this is "too soon", don't. If you look at most of the other game companies, you will see that most RPGs under go revisions at a much faster past than DnD ever did. 3.0 came out in August 2000. That'll be almost eight years between editions. Yeah, 3.5 came out in 2003. But that was such a minor change to the system as to not really be worth discussing. It wasn't even a change on the level of Second Edition Players Options.

Really, this is an exciting time to be a DnD geek. We all get to wonder and hope about Brand!New!Fresh!Things. And yes, 4E will contain Broken Builds and Ridiculously Abuseable Concepts. But that's only because every RPG known to mankind has them. You can only do so much with playtesting, after all.

Now will you be able to convert your Radically Twinked Out From Several Different Splatbooks PrC'd to the Max Character right away? Nope. Then again, you couldn't convert your Character Kited/Players Optioned up the wazoo Second Edition Character right away either. Eventually there will be enough splat/sourcebooks out there to satisfy the dreams of even the most ridiculous character concept.

So, in summary, buckle up and enjoy the rollercoaster ride. And don't let the agnst overcome you.

PS::::: People have been saying that they'll never buy ADnD/2nd Edition/Players Options/Third Edition/3.5 ever since TSR started revising the game over 25 years ago. Really, I've seen all of these arguments/complaints each and every time a new edition is announced. In fact, if you go trolling through USENET, you can find a lot of agnst/drama in the dnd newsgroup (rec.games.frp.dnd) at the time 3.0 was announced.

Really, go back and read them. It's quite funny to see the level of agnst that was running around at the time. If anything, it'll give you an idea of what to expect for the next 9 months.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2007-08-16 at 11:57 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Public demand says "we want Incarnum support".
    It does? I haven't seen that much enthusiasm for MoI on these boards, certainly nothing like the burning passionate love people display for the Tome of Battle. I suppose the GitP forums might be atypical.

8. - Top - End - #278

Quote Originally Posted by Attilargh View Post
    Every other level a character gains a talent, which is essentially a class-specific feat. For example, a Scoundrel sould take a talent to distract his opponents, a Noble might take one to provide a bonus to his allies and a Jedi might take on to deflect blaster bolts. In other words, it's a pool from where you pick your class abilities.
    Thank you.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

I just hope they rework the wizzard. I want no shopping list magic, no taking a nap every five spells, no being a one-man party, no dying to housecats. And I very much hope they rework the feats so that all are actually worth taking. (Dodge, Combat Casting, I'm looking at you.)

Ædit: Grey Paladin: You're welcome.
    Last edited by Attilargh; 2007-08-16 at 12:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

Now taking all bets on how long before someone manages to create a pun-pun equivalent using only 4e books.
    Last edited by blue_fenix; 2007-08-16 at 12:01 PM.
    "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
    -Dinobot, quoting Hamlet.

Current Characters:

11. - Top - End - #281
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    I don't know about that. Knowing Wizards, the Core will be part of an SRD, while they'll make sure none of the "optional Core" will be in there. That way, if you want anything extra (like the maneuvers, kits, and stuff I'm expecting from "optional core"), you'll have to actually buy it.
    They were pretty generous with the 3.5 SRD, with Psionics, UA Variants, and Divine Rules all in there, despite not being part of core. I don't even own the XPH, since the SRD is enough.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    BTW: For all you First Timers out there, don't worry about the agnst of Changing Editions.... It'll fade away soon enough. I've gone through this cycle many a time, and really, I just view it with detached bemusment now.

If you worry that all of your old books will be worthless, don't. You'll still be able to pull them off the shelf and get inspiration off of them (or,. at the very least, you'll be able to flog them on eBay).
    Or, you can use them to beef up your arguments, ten years down the road, of why 3.5 was a superior system to D&D 5.0. And since nobody else will own them by that point, you'll win the argument automatically.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blue_fenix View Post
    Now taking all bets on how long before someone manages to create a pun-pun equivalent using only 4e books.
    You mean he's not out already?

14. - Top - End - #284
    Banned

*sobs*

I just mastered 3.5.....

*sobs*

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

In SW Saga, each class has around three lists of "talents" (aka talent trees) that it can choose from. For the jedi, for example, lightsaber block and other force powers are talents. Each class gains talents at the rate of one at each odd-numbered level, and most classes gain bonus feats at the same rate as a fighter does in 3.5 DnD. Basically, your talents are your class features, and feats are extensions of those, allowing for huge variety between characters of the same class. Obviously, with the huge amount of maneuvers and spells available to players, this will not exactly be the case, but I think it'll serve as a basis for the new system.

EDIT: grr, ninja'd
    Last edited by Enzario; 2007-08-16 at 12:09 PM.
    If a cute girl with a red sash and overalls on slips you a note, ignore it, forget it, and sic the police on her.

You receive ten fail points. You may spend them as you see fit.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Prepare for a similar experience with the Wizards logo slapped on.
    Others have alluded to the capacity to "unlock" mechanics for online play through the use of codes to be printed in supplements. This alone, I think, will improve my enjoyment of online play, since my primary bone of contention with online platforms has been patchy support for non-core, non-OGL material. That, combined with a character generator that also supports non-core material, will make me a very happy DM indeed. I love D&D 3.5, but the time involved in generating NPCs and adventures drives me to drinking. A tool for automating that process will free up time better spent writing dialogue, descriptions, and side-plots.

17. - Top - End - #287

When they say levels now go up to 30 out of the box, do you suppose they mean the epic rules have been abolished/incorporated into core, or the game levels have been rebalanced/inflated so that level 30 == equivalent power level of a current level 20 character?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moon-faced Assassin of Joy

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tellah View Post
    Others have alluded to the capacity to "unlock" mechanics for online play through the use of codes to be printed in supplements. This alone, I think, will improve my enjoyment of online play, since my primary bone of contention with online platforms has been patchy support for non-core, non-OGL material. That, combined with a character generator that also supports non-core material, will make me a very happy DM indeed. I love D&D 3.5, but the time involved in generating NPCs and adventures drives me to drinking. A tool for automating that process will free up time better spent writing dialogue, descriptions, and side-plots.
    Hey, I didn't say it would be the same, I said it would be similar. Anyway, what I'm really saying is hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamroar View Post
    When they say levels now go up to 30 out of the box, do you suppose they mean the epic rules have been abolished/incorporated into core, or the game levels have been rebalanced/inflated so that level 30 == equivalent power level of a current level 20 character?
    I suppose they've incorporated it in such a way so that challenges now go up to CR 30. Chances are, it's a little of both.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-08-16 at 12:14 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personally, I hope that they make some sort of conversion thing for older books.
    Creator Independent discoverer of the Bird Familiar With a Wand and the Cometfall Orbital Strike

Awesome Protoss High Templar avatar by Dorian Soth.

Gaming ID (Steam, SC II, LoL, etc): BobRedshirt

20. - Top - End - #290
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Wizard View Post
    Personally, I hope that they make some sort of conversion thing for older books.
    If they do not do such a thing officially, you can expect someone to do something unofficially.
    The easy I do before breakfast,
    The difficult I do all day long,
    The impossible achieved during the workweek,
    Miracles performed when possible.
    People call me the Fixer,
    and I am here to help you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fixer's Guide to Neutrality
    Fixer's Fighter Fix
    (Campaign) Characters:
    Searching For... Goldenrod
    Survival... Gelder

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. Looks like 4ed is gonna be released much sooner than 3ed. I don't know what to think about it yet, but I find the fact that concepts for 4ed were tested in ToB annoying.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-08-16 at 12:19 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jamroar View Post
    It all depends on how you intrepet this phrase (which is the source of the lvl 30 comments):

While there are changes in play (such as incorporating "epic-level play," with 30 levels instead of 20), they are described as "evolutionary" rather than "revolutionary."
    I think that means that "epic level" will take place from 20-30, but who knows? We'll probably know more soon enough.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

23. - Top - End - #293

Could be a fourth Core Rulebook? I dunno what that might entail tho...

EDIT: Nevermind... wow... 4rth edition huh?
    Last edited by Skyserpent; 2007-08-16 at 12:26 PM.
    Member of a fanclub.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Orc in the Playground

Here's a thought - when the books are released, will the Order of the Stick get another "We're being updated to 4e" comic?

If the books are incorporating Level 30, then the whole "Epic Level Handbook" may be incorporated into the three core books. If we're lucky...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeril View Post
    Congratulations! You leveled up in awesome!
    [Avatar by Ink] [Sig Doll by Kyace]

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Wizard View Post
    A (somewhat limited) conversion guide was made at the Second Edition/Third Edition transition. It wasn't perfect (to say the least), but it was somewhat useful. I'd be utterly shocked if something similar wasn't released next year.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2007-08-16 at 12:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    You mean he's not out already?
    I was going to give them until Christmas, but yeah, you're probably right.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

Depending on how credible you consider this, you may or may not have quite a while to wait...

10 times the wait, 10 times the sales? how about 1/10 the loyal customers?

EDIT: actually, that article seems pretty old. bye bye, credibility!
    Last edited by Enzario; 2007-08-16 at 12:24 PM.
    If a cute girl with a red sash and overalls on slips you a note, ignore it, forget it, and sic the police on her.

You receive ten fail points. You may spend them as you see fit.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Enzario View Post
    Depending on how credible you consider this, you may or may not have quite a while to wait...

If I'm reading the address correctly, that was posted on April Fools' Day. The D30 reference was bit of a giveaway, considering how they tend to be pretty rare, and the release date isn't too credible either.

Funny, nonetheless.
    Last edited by Attilargh; 2007-08-16 at 12:26 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

lol, d30 game mechanic.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Check the posting date of that article.

EDIT: Don't worry about getting fooled. When I told a friend about 4E coming out soon last night he said I was wrong and referred me to that page. When I found it I had to have a small chuckle at his expense and let him know that he had been subject to a years old April Fools Joke.

Ahh the wonders of the internet where every day can (potentially) be April Fools Day (due to the presence of old content).
    Last edited by Porthos; 2007-08-16 at 12:35 PM.