New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: how to destroy an artifact of true cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would you want to destroy it? All power plants operate on an energy gradient; build a generator around it and kickstars an industrial revolution with free energy.
    And on the fantasy end it could be useful on a spelljamming vessel. You could actually keep your torches lit in pholgistonic space
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Essentially, your artifact is a hole in the universe. What if to stop it, the party had to enter it?
    Yea, the more I'm reading about this, the more it sounds like a self contained black hole.

Well, good news is that until it reaches a volume of the moon, it isn't going to be catastrophic enough to become a self sustained vacuum of doom. Bad news is, unless it reaches that size, it will blink out of existence within millionths of millionths of a second, because that's just how quickly these things work, and it will run out of resources in measurements incomprehensible to most humans.

That is, of course, your game gives a crap about actual real world physics.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Don't try and use any answer that involves an idea based on physics because this item is complete nonsense physically (side note: entropy increases to cause heat death, not decreases. Maximum Entropy = heat death).

So pick a really cool story/quest. Maybe you've got to convince/defeat the deity that created it before you can dispose of it properly.

You could also make it a quest to obtain an artifact that does the reverse (reduces entropy to zero, I. E. The big bang) and have them cancel each other out. Maybe this requires gaining the favor of a greater deity, but you've got to solve his problems first.
    Last edited by Chronikoce; 2017-10-14 at 05:51 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: how to destroy an artifact of true cold?

Have it thrown into a furnace in the palace of the ruler of the City of Brass?

5. - Top - End - #35

If an intelligent item, perhaps if it found true love
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

People joked about using the Positive Energy Plane, but I'll suggest it seriously. The Negative Energy Plane is the plane of entropy/destruction, so an artifact of entropy should be destroyed in the opposite plane (alternatively, a plane of Law, for the entropy = Chaos interpretation).

7. - Top - End - #37

cold is lack of entropy.

Omegaupdate Forum

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Hmm, Do you have any smith style gods? If so take it to their forge... or maybe an ascended dragon's fire?
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Actually if there is an artifact that somehow make energy disappear in nothingness throwing it into the sun is probably a bad idea.
    Black holes would be a better idea since it would slow down considerably(due to the distortion of space time caused by the black hole) the artifact basically making it stop having effect.(ps: it works on other artifacts too unless they somehow pertain to the time or eats black holes or is a black hole or some other silly thing artifacts do)
    What a black hole slow down and become a star?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    What a black hole slow down and become a star?
    Yes, it would become a star and hang out with other stars in space hollywood and audition for parts in a galactic comedy.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Yes, it would become a star and hang out with other stars in space hollywood and audition for parts in a galactic comedy.
    Awesome, where do you find tickets for its first movie :P
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    cold is lack of entropy.
    This is misleading. The net entropy of the system increases by a large amount in order to cool a single item to very low temperature.

For example, to cool a crystal to extremely low temperatures (micro Kelvin) requires a massive expenditure of energy in a laboratory environment. That massive expenditure of energy is a huge increase in entropy in order to achieve the very low temperature and entropy in the crystal.

Anyway, physics and d&d don't mesh well together. I'd stick with it being an artifact of cold and don't try to bring any physics logic into the solution.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Chronikoce View Post
    This is misleading. The net entropy of the system increases by a large amount in order to cool a single item to very low temperature.

For example, to cool a crystal to extremely low temperatures (micro Kelvin) requires a massive expenditure of energy in a laboratory environment. That massive expenditure of energy is a huge increase in entropy in order to achieve the very low temperature and entropy in the crystal.
    That's a non-sequitur (or at best a tangent), the part that's actually cold lacks entropy
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-10-17 at 10:24 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Center of the earth and/or heart of the plane of fire perhaps. Or special location in the plane of fire. The great forge in the city of Brass or some such. A flaming pit found in the 9th layer of hell. Etc. Besides center of the earth these are all made up btw.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

Clearly you need an artifact of True Hot to cancel it out.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

biggrin Re: how to destroy an artifact of true cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dinosaur View Post
    Clearly you need an artifact of True Hot to cancel it out.
    Maybe the Vest of Fabio?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Is the artifact feeding off the entropy being messed with in all this, or is it just straight-up obliterating it? I guess figuring out how the artifact works is easily part of a quest line hook, but if it doesn't cause the thing to get any stronger or faster, some doofy set up with a Decanter of Endless Water and a Sphere of Annihilation could at least keep the artifact busy with a constant source of "stuff" to work through before it hits the world at large- just epic-ify water for whatever suits the tone of the quest, lava, pyrotheum, blood of innocent orphans, whatever. And even if you do want it to feed off of what it drains, containment is at least an option for a brief quest while you get a more permanent solution.

I also kinda wanna move it to a plane of ice, because I mean, really, are they gonna complain about me turning that plane into an arctic wasteland?
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

18. - Top - End - #48

I say whatever you do make it a super epic adventure and then pull a m knight shyamalan, have it be stopped by holding it over a candle.
    Iron chef accomplishments
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in
    Amonkhet: Trials of the Gods

Awesome avatar by Linklele! - currently seeking new avatar!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

cold is lack of entropy.
    This is a terrible definition for a few reasons, which will be detailed below.

That's a non-sequitur (or at best a tangent), the part that's actually cold lacks entropy
    It's also low enthalpy, low internal energy, low average molecular velocity*, generally low ionization, low high-energy electron orbital fraction, low volume, and otherwise displaying a whole host of traits different to a hotter object. If you're going to pick one of them as actually counting for the definition of cold it might as well be temperature - entropy might sound more scientific, but it's a vastly worse definition. Among other things, there's fun cases with mixtures where you can make higher temperature mixtures colder by that definition. Even more fun is phase change - a bunch of 90 C steam has way more entropy than a bunch of 100 C water, but it's still clearly colder and to suggest otherwise is flatly ridiculous.

*Different ways to average things have a tendency to wildly proliferate in more complex physics and chemistry, so there's a lot of these that are subtly different.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Place it in a cube of force making sure the edges touch the artifact. No matter what the artifact does, it can't break the cube of force and since corners are always 90 degrees, the artifact will warm up.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Place it in a cube of force making sure the edges touch the artifact. No matter what the artifact does, it can't break the cube of force and since corners are always 90 degrees, the artifact will warm up.
    The artifact decides to cool down the corners anyway, and suddenly across the universe right angles become wrong angles.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Throw it into the 9th layer of Hell -- let it be a cold day there.
    Nah. Chuck it in the 8th layer. Cold enough there they wouldn't even notice.

Carceri is also always an acceptable solution. NOTHING gets out of Carceri.
    Last edited by Svata; 2017-10-18 at 05:12 AM.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

My point is ditch the word entropy for this artifact because it's being used in a completely non-sensical way. People like to use the word entropy because they think it sounds more scientific but it's pointless if it's just being used incorrectly.

The artifact isn't cold, it's cooling everything around it. This means it must be using an absolutely absurd amount of energy from somewhere else to achieve the cooling.

Now if you want to ditch science, call it entropy, and solve with cool story reasons, then go for it. But trying to use science to counter an artifact that doesn't function based on science doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Last edited by Chronikoce; 2017-10-18 at 10:02 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Throw it into the 9th layer of Hell -- let it be a cold day there.
    What? No!!
    Do you have any idea how much **** is supposed to happen at once "when Hell freezes over?"
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    What? No!!
    Do you have any idea how much **** is supposed to happen at once "when Hell freezes over?"
    New BBEG idea. Self-proclaimed "agent of chaos" trying to freeze Hell in order to upend the laws of probability

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronikoce View Post
    My point is ditch the word entropy for this artifact because it's being used in a completely non-sensical way. People like to use the word entropy because they think it sounds more scientific but it's pointless if it's just being used incorrectly.
    Some of them cross beyond pointless and get into actively detracting from the work by being wrong (e.g. defining cold as a lack of entropy). This is generally true of thermodynamics - blather about "laws of thermodynamics" by people who don't understand them has a tendency to look much more exciting than equation representations of said laws (other than the third law, which is just establishing a standard zero point to make state functions easier to work with regardless of how one spins it).

*Because the sign conventions there actually make sense.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.