New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: People who can grow beards: any luck with electric shaver?

I "shave" by pulling my beard hairs out with my bare hands. Hurts like hell, but it's nowhere near as bad as when I do some manscaping.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    I "shave" by pulling my beard hairs out with my bare hands. Hurts like hell, but it's nowhere near as bad as when I do some manscaping.
    I use a razor for that...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

I tried a bunch of different electric razors over the years. Most of the ones I tried barely took off hair, and broke fairly quickly even though I was cleaning them using the provided instructions.

A couple years ago I bought a really expensive ($250) electric razor that had a lot of good reviews on Amazon. It worked for about a year before it stopped charging, and the company that made it wasn't selling replacement chargers. After that, I walked down the street and bought a $5 manual razor that takes off more hair than the $250 electric razor did before it broke.

Nowadays I shave in the shower. I've occasionally considered laser hair removal.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Wow, what the heck is your stubble made of? Adamantium? Even the cheapest electric I've ever owned didn't break after a year!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    A couple years ago I bought a really expensive ($250) electric razor that had a lot of good reviews on Amazon. It worked for about a year before it stopped charging, and the company that made it wasn't selling replacement chargers. After that, I walked down the street and bought a $5 manual razor that takes off more hair than the $250 electric razor did before it broke.
    It's not the recharger that needs replacing; it's the battery. Usually a battery lasts 2-3 years. It seems strange since the life of a rechargeable battery depends on the number of times it is recharged, not on how often it is used. You can usually find replacement batteries online.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
    It seems strange since the life of a rechargeable battery depends on the number of
    times it is recharged, not on how often it is used. You can usually find replacement batteries online.
    It also depends on the charge state of the battery. If you leave it plugged into the charger at all times, so the battery is always at 100% charge, that's actually not good for it either--they tend to like being around 70% charge. This is why mobile phone batteries tend to last longer than laptop ones--the actual battery is identical, but the usage of it is very different.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Being in a relationship with a girl with sensitive skin I've had to switch to actually having a beard (the choice being that or shaving multiple times a day). Which has proven really convenient for me - once you're through the itchy stage it's warm, comfortable, and only needs trimming about once a week to keep it neat.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It also depends on the charge state of the battery. If you leave it plugged into the charger at all times, so the battery is always at 100% charge, that's actually not good for it either--they tend to like being around 70% charge. This is why mobile phone batteries tend to last longer than laptop ones--the actual battery is identical, but the usage of it is very different.
    Depends on the battery. NiCd, NiMH, and lithium batteries all have different characteristics. NiCd are being used less and less. NiMH are common in razors because they are a lot cheaper than lithium. Comparing razors to phones or laptops doesn't make much sense since razors typically have NiMH and phones and laptops have lithium.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    Being in a relationship with a girl with sensitive skin I've had to switch to actually having a beard (the choice being that or shaving multiple times a day). Which has proven really convenient for me - once you're through the itchy stage it's warm, comfortable, and only needs trimming about once a week to keep it neat.
    The only down side ive discovered is that it needs to be washed pretty thoroughly or its going to spew out some random bit of dandruff or food or something that got caught in it and I didn't notice.

This may be less of a problem for people who don't have extremely curly beards.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”