New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Sanity Check: 9th level spell based around MFOV Winter Flower Spell

So the Middle Finger of Vecna's Winter Flower spell from their Elemental Spells Water installment got me thinking, what if you had the ability to make a small garden of them and how would you do that, and it occurred to me that there were two methods either have a group of high level casters, or use a 9th level spell which as we all know are insane in terms of power, I decided to go with the latter but want to make sure I didn't go to far

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BySCXAVea-

2. - Top - End - #2

Chimera

Default Re: Sanity Check: 9th level spell based around MFOV Winter Flower Spell

Quote Originally Posted by Llama513 View Post
    So the Middle Finger of Vecna's Winter Flower spell from their Elemental Spells Water installment got me thinking, what if you had the ability to make a small garden of them and how would you do that, and it occurred to me that there were two methods either have a group of high level casters, or use a 9th level spell which as we all know are insane in terms of power, I decided to go with the latter but want to make sure I didn't go to far

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BySCXAVea-
    This could easily one-shot a boss.

-Wizard sets up the flowers surrounding the boss
    -Someone else does an AoE, triggering all the flowers
    -Boss takes 120d8 damage, someone of which may be halved

That's a bit too nuts if you ask me. That's an AVERAGE of 540 damage. Minimum of 120, Maximum of 960 assuming no halves.

If a sorceror can cast it, that brings it to potentially 132d8 with spell bombardment.

My suggestion would be not to allow the flowers to trigger because of taking damage. Make it so that you have to use an action (not a bonus action) to trigger one to explode. It still gives you the possibility for huge damage, 10d8 per round, but it means you need to be more tactical with the placement and puts more of an emphasis on battlefield control to be able to fully utilise the bonkers damage potential.
    Last edited by Avonar; 2017-10-15 at 04:04 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Sanity Check: 9th level spell based around MFOV Winter Flower Spell

Quote Originally Posted by Avonar View Post
    This could easily one-shot a boss.

-Wizard sets up the flowers surrounding the boss
    -Someone else does an AoE, triggering all the flowers
    -Boss takes 120d8 damage, someone of which may be halved

That's a bit too nuts if you ask me. That's an AVERAGE of 540 damage. Minimum of 120, Maximum of 960 assuming no halves.

If a sorceror can cast it, that brings it to potentially 132d8 with spell bombardment.

My suggestion would be not to allow the flowers to trigger because of taking damage. Make it so that you have to use an action (not a bonus action) to trigger one to explode. It still gives you the possibility for huge damage, 10d8 per round, but it means you need to be more tactical with the placement and puts more of an emphasis on battlefield control to be able to fully utilise the bonkers damage potential.
    That's fair, and I really like that solution