New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Prestige Class Contest Chat Thread I

Quote Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
    There's a monster dwelling in my brain... a PrC for wizard AND cleric AND druid... the Triurge! I'm trying to make up my mind on it, i don't know if i'll partecipate but i may try!
    Ah you stole my stupid but glorious idea (actually, mine was Arcane+Divine+Psionic+Initiator+more?). It's okay, I had another. So, who wants to see a theurge class for Wizard and Archivist?
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    Ah you stole my stupid but glorious idea (actually, mine was Arcane+Divine+Psionic+Initiator+more?). It's okay, I had another. So, who wants to see a theurge class for Wizard and Archivist?
    Go on The Kool, you can do it anyway.

I'm thinking about a class that gived spell slots from 3rd to 9th level that can be filled with any spell from the three classes (arcane, divine, nature).
    In addition 4 paths will enable the pc to enhance familiar, turning, animal companion or sheer spell power.

If you are thinking about something different please do it :)

3. - Top - End - #483

No that's pretty good, I was just thinking of steep entry requirements but advancing everything fully.

I think my current goal is this Archivist/Wizard combo who winds up with a single spellbook for both and no distinction between divine and arcane spells as written in the book. Choose when memorizing, and later merge the two piles of slots and choose when casting.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I have my entry completed, though it's rather rough, quite likely in need of an errata pass to cover more edge cases (like a not!Epic progression for Meldshaping so you can go straight to Soulcaster/Saphire Hierarch/whatever without an Incarnate or Totemist dip). The overall idea is to basically be a replacement to a key level range for the Meleeficer/Archerficer, giving Incarnum buffs to magic items to try to compete with the Metamagic Spell Trigger/Completion features in the Artificer base class. And yes, I really did give it a capstone that lets it have an Essentia investment cap of 9, split between a magic item and soulmeld, with a bundle of bonuses to magic items being increased based on Essentia invested. If you decide to be a full caster with it.

To demonstrate how silly this gets:

Build stub: Wizard 4/Incarnate 1/Soulforge Meister 5/Soulcaster 10 (Wizard casting 17, Incarnate Meldshaping 10, Soulforge Meister Meldshaping 5)

Base Attack Bonus is only +11 if you're using fractional BAB. If you aren't, you don't get three attacks. However, you have 9th level spell slots. This means that you can have a +1 Defending weapon with an Essentia investment capacity of 9. Doing so means access to +9 to Attack rolls and damage and +10 to Deflection AC, more than making up for the BAB deficiency and giving a good pile of Touch AC on top, though more typical Gish characters would likely prefer the earlier iterative and their Gish-focused PRC benefits. Other, wider, items get much nastier, because the benefits apply to every discrete bonus the item has. And, of course, +9 to Intelligence by doing it with a Headband of Intellect, but I don't think magic item shenanigans are going to compete too well with actual dedicated spellcasting PRCs, like going for double-9ths or metamagic reducers.

The point of it is not to be properly balanced when used in full spellcasting, but to be neither a pure upgrade nor an obvious downgrade for the Artificer looking to make personal use of permanent items. As Artificers are 2/3rds "casters", the above shenanigans cap out at 6 Essentia, which is in line with a high-level Incarnate's boost, and it draws from limited daily uses or is restricted to one particular slot when one specific not-really-Soulmeld is Bound, having expended GP to get that set up. So the much wider bonuses that can be causing issues (+30 ft. movement speed, for example) are somewhat excused by the limitations involved.

After all, you have to make an item in that slot yourself for the permanent form, which means campaign time and liquid GP, during which you lose a highest-level slot and a chunk of Essentia, and even then it eats a Soulmeld and Chakra Bind if you do that, while the boosted capacity from burning a slot has to split between a Soulmeld in that slot and the item in that slot. Even the fact you can do it for other people shouldn't be that much of a problem relative to a full-caster who went after metamagic tricks, given that it doesn't come with the Dweomer Investiture bonus, so they just get an item immune to normal removal, a free Split Chakra and an improvement to Essentia investment capacity in one particular slot.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok. My entry, the Goetic Collectivist is now up. It may very much need some PEACHing, especially in regards to balance issues. Also, note that while I try to generally make my 3.5 homebrew always with a Pathfinder conversion, I haven't done so in this case because although there is a Pathfinder version of the Binder, it is a bit different, and it uses a completely different set of vestiges.

I've noticed that a few people who said they were going to put up entries have not yet done so, and for those on academic calendars, now may be a very busy time, so if there are no objections I'm going to extend the deadline by one week, say to the 22nd.

And now a few comments about the entries which are currently up:

The Sovereign: Is an interesting idea, and does a better job of making a Gish than many standard Gishes do. It seems like a natural class to go into if one has already finished out Eldritch Knight. Giving that class functionally 5 more levels seems like a good move. The class features don't really scream "Sovereign" to me. I'd suggest maybe a class feature which adds a bonus to diplomacy checks and to knowledge(nobility and royalty) checks?

Soulforge Meister: I'm not 100% sure what to say about this. I like the idea and it feels cool. It does allow pretty high essentia caps as you recognized. I'm not strongly familiar with the incarnum system so I'm not sure what to say there. If you are worried about them abusing the class by going in with a regular spellcaster, why not just insist they have a Craft Reserve to start and then just advance that?

True Mystic: The idea is interesting. I'd like it more if it had more class features (maybe a bonus to knowledge(arcana) and knowledge(religion) checks?). I have a slight balance concern in that a wizard/archivist is already pretty powerful when they go into mystic theurge and this bumps that up even higher. That said, in most circumstances, that's still slightly weaker than a slightly optimized wizard, so there's probably no issue there.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

6. - Top - End - #486
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Can we get EXT for today I thought the due date was later.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    JoshuaZ hasn't been on in the last two days.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    Well, as I mentioned earlier, I'm ok extending by a few more days because a few people who have expressed interest haven't put in their entries. You were one of the people. So if no one else objects, let's extend things to the 22nd.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

Well I am glad there was an extension for this. I suddenly got a good idea and ran with it. Vestige Knight's (Name probably is going to change as that is generic as hell) rough draft is up. I still need to give the abilities a once over for balance/readability and some of the abilities need much better names but the class should be mostly playable at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Well I am glad there was an extension for this. I suddenly got a good idea and ran with it. Vestige Knight's (Name probably is going to change as that is generic as hell) rough draft is up. I still need to give the abilities a once over for balance/readability and some of the abilities need much better names but the class should be mostly playable at the moment.
    This is an absolutely awesome class. I love it and already have an idea for an NPC who might have levels in it in my next campaign.

A few quick comments:

Letting vestiges Vestige Knights give themselves an extra edge in power by giving their bound vestiges more opportunities to interact with the living word that they so crave.
    I think the first two words here shouldn't be there?

The improvement of martial maneuvers is interesting- most martial maneuver classes instead improve with their own advancement path. This is mechanically very clean, and I like it.

They can have a maximum number of Influence Points equal to their charisma modifier and these are reset to 0 at the start and end of every encounter.
    I worry that this is going to be too few influence points for someone unless they run into serious MAD issues. Maybe make the max number of influence points be equal to the charisma modifier (min 1) plus half class level? This will be especially important later on, when they hit 9th level and it becomes a lot easier to get influence points. Also, suggestion for one more use of influence points- as a free action be able to recover a single maneuver, but one needs to do so to spend influence points equal to the maneuver level.

he just made after knowing wether or not it hits
    "wether" should be "whether" probably.

[quote]At 3rd level the Vestige Knight draw upon the experiance and knowledge of the vestiges bound to him to learn new manuvers. Now whenever the Vestige Knight binds a vestige to himself he can suppress one granted ability which has a five round cooldown granted by the vestige for the duration of the pact. In exchange he can select one maneuver he qualifies for. This does not have to be a discipline he normally has access to but he still must meet all prerequistes of the maneuver . While bound to that vestige he can use that maneuver once every five rounds. It is treated as a supernatural ability regardless if the maneuver was originally one or not. [/quote[

A few typos - "experiance" "manuvers" and "prerequistes".

I can see the not normally have access to bit as doing some interesting things- I'd be worried that a campaign using a lot of homebrew martial disciplines might make this power substantially more useful, so there's a bit of campaign dependence sliding scale of power here. But I doubt it would be a problem in most campaigns, and it isn't like most martial maneuvers are that powerful. Since binding and martial maneuvers aren't really high in power this shouldn't be an issue.

One other thought: does knowing this maneuver count as being known for other purposes? For example, could I use such a maneuver to qualify for a feat or prestige class? Could I use such a maneuver to write a martial script? These should probably be clarified.

Other comments: I like Martial Apotheosis. The idea of getting back vestige ability uses when one gets back martial maneuvers is really neat. I wonder if it should also work with any other abilities that give back all maneuvers since there are some things out there (albeit I think either homebrew or Pathfinder) which give back all maneuvers.

Overall, I really like this class, both the theme and the general mechanics. Seems mostly balanced and not too overpowered while doing a really good job of using the mechanics of both ToB and pact magic.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    This is an absolutely awesome class. I love it and already have an idea for an NPC who might have levels in it in my next campaign.

A few quick comments:

I think the first two words here shouldn't be there?

The improvement of martial maneuvers is interesting- most martial maneuver classes instead improve with their own advancement path. This is mechanically very clean, and I like it.

I worry that this is going to be too few influence points for someone unless they run into serious MAD issues. Maybe make the max number of influence points be equal to the charisma modifier (min 1) plus half class level? This will be especially important later on, when they hit 9th level and it becomes a lot easier to get influence points. Also, suggestion for one more use of influence points- as a free action be able to recover a single maneuver, but one needs to do so to spend influence points equal to the maneuver level.

"wether" should be "whether" probably.

At 3rd level the Vestige Knight draw upon the experiance and knowledge of the vestiges bound to him to learn new manuvers. Now whenever the Vestige Knight binds a vestige to himself he can suppress one granted ability which has a five round cooldown granted by the vestige for the duration of the pact. In exchange he can select one maneuver he qualifies for. This does not have to be a discipline he normally has access to but he still must meet all prerequistes of the maneuver . While bound to that vestige he can use that maneuver once every five rounds. It is treated as a supernatural ability regardless if the maneuver was originally one or not.
    A few typos - "experiance" "manuvers" and "prerequistes".

I can see the not normally have access to bit as doing some interesting things- I'd be worried that a campaign using a lot of homebrew martial disciplines might make this power substantially more useful, so there's a bit of campaign dependence sliding scale of power here. But I doubt it would be a problem in most campaigns, and it isn't like most martial maneuvers are that powerful. Since binding and martial maneuvers aren't really high in power this shouldn't be an issue.

One other thought: does knowing this maneuver count as being known for other purposes? For example, could I use such a maneuver to qualify for a feat or prestige class? Could I use such a maneuver to write a martial script? These should probably be clarified.

Other comments: I like Martial Apotheosis. The idea of getting back vestige ability uses when one gets back martial maneuvers is really neat. I wonder if it should also work with any other abilities that give back all maneuvers since there are some things out there (albeit I think either homebrew or Pathfinder) which give back all maneuvers.

Overall, I really like this class, both the theme and the general mechanics. Seems mostly balanced and not too overpowered while doing a really good job of using the mechanics of both ToB and pact magic.
    Ya I pumped out this class when I got the inspiration so the wording and spelling could use some work.

Actually the first bit I was missing the rest of that sentence. But I fixed that and the rest of the typo and spelling mistakes I could find.

I actually dislike how most martial prc's function. Mostly because it removes them from any homebrew school disciplines, I tried to make the PRC open to as many homebrew martial classes as possible in that way.

Hm the pool for influence points is a bit low you are right. I think I can switch that a bit more. Probably 3+ Cha mod.

I had actually thought of the recovering maneuver option for influence points but it ran into 2 issues IMO. 1) The flavor seems a bit weird. Your vestige is helping you... do what exactly? I guess it could be fluffed as a surge of stamina but since the vestige doesn't know the maneuver I wasn't sure why they could refresh maneuvers at all. 2) White Raven Tactics. I was too concerned with this one maneuver being looped nigh infinitely.

For Martial Lore from the Void it is supposed to count for the purposes of other things such as qualifying for other maneuvers. I hadn't thought about using it to qualify for feats and prc's though. Probably going to add a clause for only allowing it to qualify for the purpose of learning other maneuvers gained from Martial Lore from the Void.

The extra discipline issue I was also hedging back and forth but I kept it in because 1) It really does fit with the whole gamestyle of binders where they swap their options everyday and 2) It's actually pretty hard to grab high end maneuvers from multiple schools due to needing to have previous maneuvers from that school. In addition, a lot of schools require skill checks for particular skills which the Vestige Knight probably doesn't have. It's certainly a power boost but as you noted most maneuvers aren't particularly powerful.

Also I think I changed Martial Apotheosis to do just as you recommended as you were replying XD. It now functions for any recovering method that recovers multiple maneuvers at once such as Crusader or Warblade.

Thanks for the feedback! I do like how the class came out. Still not a particular fan of the name though...
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2019-05-18 at 09:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #492

True Mystic: The idea is interesting. I'd like it more if it had more class features (maybe a bonus to knowledge(arcana) and knowledge(religion) checks?). I have a slight balance concern in that a wizard/archivist is already pretty powerful when they go into mystic theurge and this bumps that up even higher. That said, in most circumstances, that's still slightly weaker than a slightly optimized wizard, so there's probably no issue there.
    I honestly did this weeks ago and haven't thought about it or looked at it since. It could probably use some polishing, but the idea was that the class is like MT but more specialized. I'm aware you could cap off the character with levels in MT after this though, which would be a streamlined way to get double 9s. I recall that something I was curious about though was someone who multiclassed into more spellcasting classes, because I think I worded things such that the abilities apply to all spellcasting classes, not just the two used to enter... What would it be like if you mixed Favored Soul and Sorcerer with Arcane Preparation? I'm genuinely curious.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    I honestly did this weeks ago and haven't thought about it or looked at it since. It could probably use some polishing, but the idea was that the class is like MT but more specialized. I'm aware you could cap off the character with levels in MT after this though, which would be a streamlined way to get double 9s. I recall that something I was curious about though was someone who multiclassed into more spellcasting classes, because I think I worded things such that the abilities apply to all spellcasting classes, not just the two used to enter... What would it be like if you mixed Favored Soul and Sorcerer with Arcane Preparation? I'm genuinely curious.
    One thing I noted when I read the Mystic was that the Mystic's Advanced Learning can be used to pick up things like Trapsmith's level 1 haste or Disciple of Thryn's 4th level Summon Giants. I frankly would add a clause that if the spell exists on the Wizard/Sorcerer/Druid/Cleric list it uses that spell level by default.

14. - Top - End - #494

MindFlayer

So I'm Mechanically done, but need polishing. Please Peach.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

I had actually thought of the recovering maneuver option for influence points but it ran into 2 issues IMO. 1) The flavor seems a bit weird. Your vestige is helping you... do what exactly? I guess it could be fluffed as a surge of stamina but since the vestige doesn't know the maneuver I wasn't sure why they could refresh maneuvers at all. 2) White Raven Tactics. I was too concerned with this one maneuver being looped nigh infinitely.
    Is it that easy to get that many influence points to actually spam it? If say it is maneuver level influence points to recover a maneuver then one would need three influence points to recover it. That seems unlikely to be something one can frequently do in a battle.

Still not a particular fan of the name though...
    Well, if I didn't already have a Goetic Collectivist, I'd suggest Goetic Knight. Hmm, what about Blade Vessel? That helps emphasize how one is letting the vestiges have extra influence/experience?

And now, to avoid double posting I'm going to comment here on Lanth Sor's entry (I wouldn't mind though if someone would do a bit of PEACHing to my entry too while were at it.)

The master adds their caster level to their initiator level. Additionally they add their initiator level to their caster level. This cannot increase their initiator level and caster level cannot benefit from this more then once.
    I'm not sure what the second sentence is supposed to say. There appear to be some words missing. I'm guessing it is "This cannot increase their initiator level or caster level beyond their hit die". Is that the intended wording?

These directly advance your prior classes used to qualify for the class's spell casting/initiating progression as if they had gained a level in the respective classes.
    Is this intended to advance just the things that are normally advanced by a PrC or this intended to advance all class features? If so, I can see some definite potential for tricks here similar to Legacy Champion tricks work. If this is intended that way, I'm a little concerned about balance issues (but not by that much given that each is only every other level).

The prerequisites are also a bit high. Is there a reason you require 6th level spells and not a lower level?
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

And now, to avoid double posting I'm going to comment here on Lanth Sor's entry (I wouldn't mind though if someone would do a bit of PEACHing to my entry too while were at it.)

Sure I can do that.

I like how you handled Mindbending, that was a good way to add more vestiges for the binder (They really do need it), but also helped out those lower level vestiges, some of which are fairly cool (Naebarius, Malphas, etc) but don't get used as much later levels.

Draw Forth Their Power is a cool mechanic but it has problems with the one overpowered vestige that kinda ruins it for all the others, Zceryll. With this and the psionic meditation feat you could spam summon monster every round forever. Which while not utterly game breaking is also going to be stronger than any other option the character is going to have. I would recommend you adding a limit on it so that it can only be used on a particular granted ability 1/encounter.

Vestigial Knowledge (ex): At fifth level, a Collectivist learns to gain some amount of psionic knowledge and power from the vestiges they have bound. Whenever the Collectivist is bound to that Vestige, they gain the corresponding either feat or psionic power known as detailed below. If the vestige grants a feat, the Collectivist does not need to meet any prerequisites for that feat. If the vestige grants a power, then the Collectivist is unable to use that power unless they can manifest a power of at least that level. The power or feat only remains when they are bound to that vestige. Powers gained this way cannot be transferred via abilities like Psychic Chirurgery, since the Collectivist does not truly know the power in full detail.
    I assume the bolded section is mistyped unless an "Either feat" is something I am just unaware of Does the feat have to be psionic? Also red flag warning on not having to meet the prereqs of the feat. That leads to stuff like grabbing epic feats like epic leadership or Improved Metapsionics. Is there a reason you wanted them to ignore pre-reqs? ***Edit: Oh it's a specific feat. You might want to make that clearer in this section because on first read through I thought they picked a power or feat.

One thing which may be a problem or not as I am not sure if this is intended, is that the wording of the italicized section is similar to the way Ardents can learn really high level powers at lower levels. "Being able to manifest a power of that level" can be pretty easily read as "Can spend enough PP's to manifest a power of that level" not "The maximum level of power that the character can manifest is equal to or greater the level of the selected power". Ardents still don't have a maximum power known section on their table so they are always weird to handle in this sort of edge case.

Second, the Collectivist add any levels in binder or any levels in any non-psionic binding advancing class to their effective manifester level for any manifesting class for penetrating power resistance and for the maximum augment they may augment powers. Neither of these additions may push the Collectivist's effective manifester or binder level above their character level.
    Is the bolded section necessary? Why not just increase their manifester level? It seems a bit odd for the increase in manifester level not to boost things like the range of the power or similar aspects.

For abilities granted by specific vestige.

Chupoclops has a typo, "Vestigial Knowledge: Either ethereal jaunt and psionic etherealness." I am not sure how it can be Either ethereal jaunt AND psionic etherealness. It's either one or the other or both

Naberius has a typo, "Mastery: When the Collectivist use any healing power." Should be "uses".

No real complaints or comments on the various abilities they gain. Most of the abilities seem fairly weak but you do get quite a lot of them and I haven't thought through of all the combos and stacking potential. I did see a lot of ways to beat SR though.

Overall I liked the class quite a bit and it was quite flavorful. It overall seems quite well balanced beyond a few minor issues mostly involving that one problem with Zceryll. One thing I will note is that the class gives a LOT of small minor bonuses that depend on your vestiges and choices for the day. It could get tedious keeping track of what tiny bonuses you get for 8 different vestiges that could change daily.

17. - Top - End - #497

MindFlayer

I'm not sure what the second sentence is supposed to say. There appear to be some words missing. I'm guessing it is "This cannot increase their initiator level or caster level beyond their hit die". Is that the intended wording?
    Your suppose to add the two together, but i was trying to iterate that even though your adding them to each other you only do that once to avoid any infinite loops. I think I fixed it.

Is this intended to advance just the things that are normally advanced by a PrC or this intended to advance all class features? If so, I can see some definite potential for tricks here similar to Legacy Champion tricks work. If this is intended that way, I'm a little concerned about balance issues (but not by that much given that each is only every other level).
    Just spell casting/initiating is suppose to advance.

The prerequisites are also a bit high. Is there a reason you require 6th level spells and not a lower level?
    Honestly this is because one of the class features is a 9th level spell and the class cannot get 9th level spells unless it already has 6th level spells
    The ability is true creation that makes an Blood War Iron

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

I like how you handled Mindbending, that was a good way to add more vestiges for the binder (They really do need it), but also helped out those lower level vestiges, some of which are fairly cool (Naebarius, Malphas, etc) but don't get used as much later levels.
    Thanks!

Draw Forth Their Power is a cool mechanic but it has problems with the one overpowered vestige that kinda ruins it for all the others, Zceryll. With this and the psionic meditation feat you could spam summon monster every round forever. Which while not utterly game breaking is also going to be stronger than any other option the character is going to have. I would recommend you adding a limit on it so that it can only be used on a particular granted ability 1/encounter.
    Hmm, I'm not sure how much I should deal with a single slightly broken vestige, but that seems like a reasonable way of handling it. Change made accordingly.

I assume the bolded section is mistyped unless an "Either feat" is something I am just unaware of Does the feat have to be psionic? Also red flag warning on not having to meet the prereqs of the feat. That leads to stuff like grabbing epic feats like epic leadership or Improved Metapsionics. Is there a reason you wanted them to ignore pre-reqs? ***Edit: Oh it's a specific feat. You might want to make that clearer in this section because on first read through I thought they picked a power or feat.
    Clarified wording.

One thing which may be a problem or not as I am not sure if this is intended, is that the wording of the italicized section is similar to the way Ardents can learn really high level powers at lower levels. "Being able to manifest a power of that level" can be pretty easily read as "Can spend enough PP's to manifest a power of that level" not "The maximum level of power that the character can manifest is equal to or greater the level of the selected power". Ardents still don't have a maximum power known section on their table so they are always weird to handle in this sort of edge case.
    Added some wording to handle that. Let me know if that's clear enough.

Is the bolded section necessary? Why not just increase their manifester level? It seems a bit odd for the increase in manifester level not to boost things like the range of the power or similar aspects.
    I was concerned that the power level would be too high otherwise since one is also getting a massive ability to change around what powers one has daily, and gets lots of extra vestiges on top of that. But if you don't think it is an issue I'll delete it.

For abilities granted by specific vestige.
    Chupoclops has a typo, "Vestigial Knowledge: Either ethereal jaunt and psionic etherealness." I am not sure how it can be Either ethereal jaunt AND psionic etherealness. It's either one or the other or both
    Fixed thanks.

Naberius has a typo, "Mastery: When the Collectivist use any healing power." Should be "uses".
    Yep.

No real complaints or comments on the various abilities they gain. Most of the abilities seem fairly weak but you do get quite a lot of them and I haven't thought through of all the combos and stacking potential. I did see a lot of ways to beat SR though.
    Yeah, I tried to make most of the SR beating abilities not easily overlap. For example, Zagan's bonus is just if they are snake related, and Abysm's is for psionic beings. If one is fighting a psionic yuan-ti that could be useful, but that's pretty situational. Similarly, Ashardalon's is for fire powers only, and that's pretty situational especially given at high levels (where one would be able to bind Ashardalon), fire immunity or heavy fire resistance isn't uncommon. Focalor gives its bonus for electricity, but if someone has some clever way to make a psionic power which has both electricity and fire descriptors and they want it to be really good at penetrating power resistance, that's probably ok.

One concern I had with these is that it may be just not that *interesting*. If one has any suggestions for things that some of them could do instead of straight bonuses or in addition to, I'd be happy to use them.

Overall I liked the class quite a bit and it was quite flavorful. It overall seems quite well balanced beyond a few minor issues mostly involving that one problem with Zceryll. One thing I will note is that the class gives a LOT of small minor bonuses that depend on your vestiges and choices for the day. It could get tedious keeping track of what tiny bonuses you get for 8 different vestiges that could change daily.
    Yeah, it could definitely be an issue. I think that if one is playing a binder, one already has some of that issue. When I've played a binder before I had two different sets of vestiges I kept, one was my "combat/adventuring" set and the other was my "social" set and I'd tweak those a little bit, but that worked well. One reason I made the Mindbinding work the way it does is so for someone doesn't want to be keeping track of many vestiges they can just use it to keep one extra vestige whose level is limited.

I considered having a class feature which would make it really easy to pay power points to change vestiges and the three reasons I didn't was that a) I couldn't find good fluff for it b) It would potentially cause games to come to a crawl as the player figured out how they want to reshuffle vestiges and c) With the extra powers from vestiges it would risk making the class functionally Tier Zero. So, I guess the comment here that is the issue of keeping track of a lot of vestiges could have been worse.
    Last edited by JoshuaZ; 2019-05-21 at 11:49 AM.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

19. - Top - End - #499
    Troll in the Playground

The voting thread says this: "Voting starts now and will continue until April 3rd, 2019". I imagine the voting deadline isn't in the past I imagine this is just a copy paste issue, could you update it with this tournament's voting deadline?

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

The voting thread says this: "Voting starts now and will continue until April 3rd, 2019". I imagine the voting deadline isn't in the past I imagine this is just a copy paste issue, could you update it with this tournament's voting deadline?
    Yep! Fixed! Sorry about that.

Also, we should maybe start discussing what the next theme will be. Everyone is of course welcome to make proposals. Proposals from me (some of these are ones we've discussed before as possibilities).

"Swords and sorcery"- for gishes.

"Light is not necessarily good. Darkness is not necessarily evil."

"Against the Gods"

"Forbidden knowledge"

"Mage on a Plane" Each entry must be new minor plane and an associated PrC (they don't have to be mages per se, but I thought the name sounded fun).

"Your Power is What?" - Make a prc that involves using something that sounds like a weak or unimpressive ability and make it turn out to be impressive.

A few which have broad themes which aren't as narrowly defined but sound neat enough:

"Metal and Wood"

"Nature or nurture"

"Fate or free will"

"Brains and brawn"

"The hunter and the hunted"

"Martyrs and murderers"
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

21. - Top - End - #501

I've got a few ideas for various ones, but first some more proposals.

"Blood and Steel"

"Colour Makes the Man"

"What is the Nature of the Soul?"

"Murder, Arson, and Jaywalking"

"Morality, inverted and switched"

"Beam Me Up Scotty"

"Hell hath no fury"

"Stranger in an Antique Land"

"Not![Insert Country here]"
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

[...]
    "Fate or free will"

"Brains and brawn"

"The hunter and the hunted"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aniikinis View Post
    "Morality, inverted and switched"
    Along these lines, perhaps "A Swing of the Pendulum," for classes based around balancing and combining two opposing concepts--Good and Evil, fire and ice, urban and wilderness, mind and body, and so forth.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

23. - Top - End - #503
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Along these lines, perhaps "A Swing of the Pendulum," for classes based around balancing and combining two opposing concepts--Good and Evil, fire and ice, urban and wilderness, mind and body, and so forth.
    This gets my vote.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

24. - Top - End - #504
    Troll in the Playground

Yep! Fixed! Sorry about that.

Also, we should maybe start discussing what the next theme will be. Everyone is of course welcome to make proposals. Proposals from me (some of these are ones we've discussed before as possibilities).

"Your Power is What?" - Make a prc that involves using something that sounds like a weak or unimpressive ability and make it turn out to be impressive.
    These two get my vote. The second one in particular sounds like it would get some incredibly unique entries.

25. - Top - End - #505

MindFlayer

"A Swing of the Pendulum,"

my votes

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

Previous contest is now closed. Voting results are here First placegoes to PairO-Dice Lost's Akashic Savant, second place to Silva Stormrage's Pact-Bound Knight, and third place to my own Goetic Collectivist. Most Original was the Goetic Collectivist. Most Likely to see Play was The Kool's True Mystic, and Best Use of Theme is the Akashic Savant.

Thanks to everyone who entered, and thanks to everyone who gave feedback on the classes, and everyone who voted.

The Swing of the Pendulum seems like a popular option, so we'll go with that for the next contest. New contest thread is here.
    Last edited by JoshuaZ; 2019-06-13 at 04:06 PM.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

Got my semi-placeholder posts down, overall idea is "sadomasochistic Elite Egotist/Prestige PsyWar". Trading physical for mental and back. The bit with getting levels of Psychic Warrior manifesting is so that they're not entirely dead levels of Manifesting and you can grab the low-level PsyWar powers key to the Natural Attack focus without actually having Psychic Warrior levels clogging up your Egotist build. Also lets it get you on a tightrope for 9th level powers without decreasing the progression of Psychic Warriors who enter it, and the extra Manifesting ability does give a bit of extra PP to make up for the loss in them, though only towards extremes. Three PP per point of Wisdom modifier isn't getting you all that far, but it does help lighten the blow.

28. - Top - End - #508

Ooh! Nice! Is this the first Elite Manifester, or has anyone made others?
    It's a falcon. Wearing a Fedora. Your argument is irrelevant.
    Official Member of the No Cussing Club

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Falcon View Post
    Ooh! Nice! Is this the first Elite Manifester, or has anyone made others?
    I don't know of any others, but I felt like taking a hard left turn with Elite Manifesting, so piling up on Augmentations it is! Which conveniently saves me a buttload of templated busywork!

30. - Top - End - #510

Yeah, and it works as a concept, too, to streamline your manifesting list and drastically cut down on PP expenditure as you don't need to pull so many different powers to get the same effects. Heck, if I get enough inspiration and you don't mind, I might end up trying my hand for the Psychokinesis specialist one (I'm a Blaster junkie).
    It's a falcon. Wearing a Fedora. Your argument is irrelevant.
    Official Member of the No Cussing Club