Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Prestige Class Contest Chat Thread I

Some quick EACHing:

Wasp

No major comments. Looks really well done. The only quibble I have is with the entry requirements. 60 skill points is a large number of skill points for requirements even if it is intended for rogue entry. If a rogue has say +4 to int then they would have when they enter this a total of 144 skill points, so a little under half their skill points have to be put in to it. That may be ok, since they are all useful skills which are useful for rogues and are useful for Wasps. I'm not sure here.

Sneaky Hand
    If I'm reading this correctly, a sufficiently smart wizard can enter this class at level 4, and wizard 3/rogue 1 can then enter at level 5. Normally PrCs are supposed to be harder to enter that early. Frankly, I'm fine with PrCs being easy to enter early (and think that making so few with low level entries is a major design flaw of 3.5 since most games end well before 20th level and unless one is in a setting like Forgotten Realms, a 6th level character can be very reasonably prestigious), so I'm more curious if this is intended to have such early entry. I don't think any of the basic class features are an issue if one is entering early.

Is there an issue with the "I Like This!" ability to be abused? Say PCs find an object of unknown nature. One of them puts in their pocket, knowing the Sneaky Hand PC will go and pull it out to identify it. Depending on how this is played, this could either be seen as abuse of the class feature, humorous, or breaking versimilitude. I'm not sure what to do since the feature is a fun one and makes me want to play a Sneaky Hand just for the regular use of this ability.

For the class feature Easy Casting it reads: "At 2nd level a Sneaky Hand cast some spells in light armor without invoking the normal arcane spell failure chance." which spells?

They never saw it coming is interesting but maybe a little too powerful? It also has two typos ("slight" and "wit"). I'd suggest a slightly weaker version as follows: "At 2nd level a Sneaky Hand has become so good at pick pocketing that only other pickpockets can realize that they are being pick pocketed. When you use sleight of hand your opponent takes a -5 penalty to their spot check unless they have at least 4 ranks in Sleight of Hand."

In Soul Stealing "any feats" should have a capitalized any. I'm not completely clear on what can be stolen if one can steal spellcasting like this, since spellcasting is normally written not as its own (ex) or (su) ability but has its own entry. Also, being able to steal spellcasting this way seems potentially overpowered. The idea behind the ability is really neat but more details are needed.

Hedge Mage
    I really, really, like this PrC. Everything about it is well done, and it looks balanced even given the massive set of spells they can cast.
    Entry requirements- The special requirement is a little ambiguous. If for example a sorcerer can only cast first and zeroth level spells and they then fail a will save against a second level spell, but then gain the ability to cast 2nd level spells and then fail a reflex save and a fort save against a 4th level spell, do they qualify?

Expanded Spell Knowledge- The ability is really cool. I could see this leading to problems with splatbook diving. It might make sense to have a note to DMs that if a PC is going to play a Hedge Mage then they should discuss with the DM before hand to make sure that they don't drastically slow down combat by spending forever thinking about what spell they are going to cast.
    Also, the note on Expanded Spell Knowledge seems to have a minor formatting error with an extra italic close at the end.

Gutter Instincts is all good but "tus" should be "thus" I think.

Openminded refers to the class as "witch" (I'm guessing this was from an earlier draft). Also "ofr" should be "of" I think. I'm not sure what you mean by "and if such an effect would still affect her (Such as Dark Speech) it instead has no effect"- can you clarify?

Spell Transfusion- "Tey" should be "they" I think. This seems a bit powerful but for fourth level and lower spells seems ok. My guess is that this is not intended to remove spell components (V,S,M, etc.) but if so that should be stated explicitly since supernatural abilities don't have them. If it is intended to remove them, then this may be unbalanced.

Spell Chain- Says witch when you mean Hedge Mage.

Epic Hedgmage- This looks not complete yet, although most of it seems self-explanatory from the table.

Minimizer
    Class idea is interesting. Definitely needs clarification on what abilities are (ex), which are (su) and which are (sp) since it isn't obvious for some of them. The entry requirement seems onerous. Yes, the Swiftblade has a similar thing, but using every single spell slot that way is tough. I'd suggest just requiring the ability to cast Reduce Person and make the special requirement that one has used it offensively in combat.

Dust Devil
    I take it this used the desiccation rules from Sandstorm? If so, I'd state that explicitly as a note so there's no confusion. It isn't exactly the most well known splatbook.
    My initial reaction was that the entry requirements were too high but given the power of the 4th and 5th level abilities, requiring 5th level spells seems about right. Overall, I like this PrC and it feels like it is one that should have been in Sandstorm in the first place(that is intended as high praise this uses the mechanics so naturally it seems like it should have been there all a long.)

Master of Needles
    This PrC immediately brings to mind a certain scene in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (you probably know what I'm talking about).
    One thing that jumps out is that this class is easier for a fighter to qualify for than a monk. This seems odd. I'd suggest in the entry requirements either BAB +6 or 5 levels in Monk.
    One other thing I'd suggest is that they should at some point get a bonus to confirm critical hits with their needles- Maybe at level 1 they also add their class level to rolls to confirm critical hits?

Leveler
    Well, for starters the picture and poem fit very well, and apparently Shelly's middle name was "Bysshe" which I didn't know, so yay. The central class feature is well done, and a lot of work clearly went into the spells and balancing them out. My only quibble is the name: given the fluff about leveling everything and point of the Shelly poem being how everything ultimately comes to naught, calling their central ability "elite spellcasting" seems odd. Unfortunately, I don't have a better name.

It might be nice also to give a few class features that let you explicitly damage buildings and structures more easily. They don't need to be strong (the class itself is pretty strong already) but it might help fit the theme a bit.

Hive Master

The first three levels seems to have fit its primary goals of being a non-evil hive focused class that is reasonably balanced. Bravo. There's something marked as "Special" in the last level in the table that doesn't seem to be explained in the PrC?

Singer of the Forbidden Song
    Entry requirements Is this really evil? It seems like a non-good alignment restriction would make more sense. And Zazu seemed lawful good or lawful neutral in alignment (ok I know that part isn't serious).

Selective Hearing is a really good ability here to make this PrC playable. Is Selective Hearing and Debilitating Song also (ex) like the song itself? If so, that should be mentioned. (Also the ex-bard abilities should also have their type clarified). Overall, seems like a balanced and fun PrC that would be fun to play.

Mini-o-Mancer
    This is hilarious.
    "Rebuke Tiny Beings" I get that the class level rule is there for obvious reasons, but it would be pretty funny if they could actually order around even beings with *tiny* numbers of class levels. Maybe it should work on beings who have fewer class levels than half your number of levels in Minoi-o-Mancer?
    Most of the class looks well balanced (I don't know the gramarie system well enough to comment on the option associated to that but the others seem fine.)

Dermagraphter
    Ok, this is icky, and gross and creepy and I love it.

The Flay tatoos ability when they are applied to class features needs a little more clarification. Are these changes permanent? How would someone who has had them removed go about getting them back? Does the ability work on a Green Star Adept or Acolyte of the Skin of 10th level where the effect in question is explcitly throughout their body? I think more clarification is needed.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post

Wasp

No major comments. Looks really well done. The only quibble I have is with the entry requirements. 60 skill points is a large number of skill points for requirements even if it is intended for rogue entry. If a rogue has say +4 to int then they would have when they enter this a total of 144 skill points, so a little under half their skill points have to be put in to it. That may be ok, since they are all useful skills which are useful for rogues and are useful for Wasps. I'm not sure here.
    Yeah, I figured that most people would have those maxed out as a general rule. I usually play the caster in my party but when I play a rogue those are the ones I always keep maxed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Hedge Mage
    I really, really, like this PrC. Everything about it is well done, and it looks balanced even given the massive set of spells they can cast.
    Thanks
    Entry requirements- The special requirement is a little ambiguous. If for example a sorcerer can only cast first and zeroth level spells and they then fail a will save against a second level spell, but then gain the ability to cast 2nd level spells and then fail a reflex save and a fort save against a 4th level spell, do they qualify?
    Changed it up:
    Special: Must have failed a will save, reflex save, and fortitude save against 3 different spells that would have a negative effect.
    Is that better?
    Expanded Spell Knowledge- The ability is really cool. I could see this leading to problems with splatbook diving. It might make sense to have a note to DMs that if a PC is going to play a Hedge Mage then they should discuss with the DM before hand to make sure that they don't drastically slow down combat by spending forever thinking about what spell they are going to cast.
    Ah yes, I'll add a note, was thinking of PbP when I wrote it honestly
    Also, the note on Expanded Spell Knowledge seems to have a minor formatting error with an extra italic close at the end.

Gutter Instincts is all good but "tus" should be "thus" I think.
    Thanks, fixed.
    Openminded refers to the class as "witch" (I'm guessing this was from an earlier draft). Also "ofr" should be "of" I think. I'm not sure what you mean by "and if such an effect would still affect her (Such as Dark Speech) it instead has no effect"- can you clarify?
    Witch was a base class I was trying to figure out, which died, burnt in an oven and came out as a muffin... Not sure how there but it did, seriously.
    Darkspeech affects both evil and non-evil, however it would be best in that case to be evil as the effects are worse then when you are good, however it still has a negative effect (I don't have the BoVD with me atm). This way when it would be beneficial you can obtain alignment benefits, but when it isn't you still don't have to worry... Did that clear it up at all?
    Spell Transfusion- "Tey" should be "they" I think. This seems a bit powerful but for fourth level and lower spells seems ok. My guess is that this is not intended to remove spell components (V,S,M, etc.) but if so that should be stated explicitly since supernatural abilities don't have them. If it is intended to remove them, then this may be unbalanced.
    Components were purposely left out, as I felt it was balanced by the fact that most (I think all, 'cept for undead creating ones) spells with a costly material component 0-4 are low, and by the time that you get the more costly ones you barely even scratch your WBL. I also thought losing 5-9's was a big penalty that'd balance it as well. If you still feel it is too OP I'll say you have to pay any material etc costs, but otherwise keep it as is.
    Fixed They.
    Spell Chain- Says witch when you mean Hedge Mage.
    Fixed.
    Epic Hedgmage- This looks not complete yet, although most of it seems self-explanatory from the table.
    Eh, I was going to let it just sit, but I'll add the text... Now.

Atomos Mage
    Spoiler
    Show

Arcane Atoms: My first thought was that you did not get nearly enough, but then you do multiply by your casting stat, which (I assume you count magic items?) can get pretty high so it should be good
    Does using arcane atoms bypass a level cap for damaging spells (So, if I am an 8th level atomosmage can I soup up my searing fireball?) I won't think it would be too bad as blasting (Even though that is a favorite thing to do) is usually seen as suboptimal.

Arcane Sensitivity: Love this, although my OCD makes me point out, your (Ex) should go before the colon; (Ex):
    KNowing if an object is magical: So, if I pick up something with GMW on it does it register as a magic object? Also, I would let this apply to effects made from magic, such as a fire wall/of ice (if you don't have DeMa up you technically don't know it is magical :eyeroll:)
    MR: well, this is alright but a wizard has a good will save... as do most full-casters (Try to think of one who doesn't, you might beat me ). Immediate action... do you need to use this before you see the outcome of your will save or after, for example:
    DM: 'ey youse, make a will save
    Player: Alright, [rolls]
    DM: Awh, so close, but you needed a 12 not 11.
    Player: Actually...

BF: Meh, not gonna kill you, although 1 of them isn't very nice... maybe 2 XD

Bodily Integrity: have some small typing error; "full spell into your body. . You "

I was thinking, for BI and MR Maybe combine them and give them Mettle (per hexblade) activated by spending points? (Then you could work in another feature as well if you combined them like that )

EC: Nice... although with buffing saves, and everything else I would reduce the cost to 3 points

DtD: Maybe gain some when you cast a spell unaugmented by arcane atoms as well as how it is now?

PP: The problem here is that caster level is (apparently) extremely easy to bump over 60... so maybe level in classes that advance arcane spellcasting (which would still allow UM to qualify twice... hmm.)

Ability Idea: The ability to "steal" atoms from the energy of other mages casting spells. For example if Mr Archmage drops a couple Orb of X you get a few atomos points... I would base the gain rate off... maybe the square root of SL+CL?

the feats:
    Atomos Focus: This is better then the feat that gives +4 points, and if playing a game with retraining (and not starting at higher level anyways) then I would start with the +4 (if I needed it) and later retrain for this... I would in fact add:
    Special: Upon reaching 8th level this feat may be changed out for Atomos Focus.
    to the other for those games that don't use retraining.

Atomos Hoarder: Seems fair enough

AM: Don't have enough experience with psionics

AT: seems alright, not really much going on here, just for the dual casters. Would work nicely in gestalt though.

AC: you give HP 1:1 and I would also say: for every 4 hit points that you grant the creature it gains a +1 enhancement bonus to strength, con, or dexterit at your choice. The effects of this feat stack with themselves.

AN: maybe something like the feats from libris mortis allowing you to add some bonuses to their physical stats? Also, this should be able to improve turn resistance.

OA: Don't do binding (have the book, haven't had the time to read it) but seems you have a text error; "First, you may when you make a" I would take out the you may, or switch it "First, when you make a binding check you may..."

RA: I would make this points equal to the spell level you dispel, also forgot some other dispel stuff, I would just say spells that dispel as just in core there is also MD... which most don't use, but it is there... non-core there is dispelling screen off the top of my head.

Very interesting, and the rest of the feats seem to be good.
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-11-10 at 10:43 AM.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Banned

Leveler
    Well, for starters the picture and poem fit very well, and apparently Shelly's middle name was "Bysshe" which I didn't know, so yay.
    Truly, the greatest middle name of all.

The central class feature is well done, and a lot of work clearly went into the spells and balancing them out. My only quibble is the name: given the fluff about leveling everything and point of the Shelly poem being how everything ultimately comes to naught, calling their central ability "elite spellcasting" seems odd. Unfortunately, I don't have a better name.
    Elite spellcasting isn't really more of a specific name than spellcasting is. Spellcasting doesn't have to have anything to do with nature or gods or draconic bloodlines because that's just a thing that's generic about classes. I appreciate that not having any other elite casters (yet!) makes it seem like it's the leveller's personal shtick, but it isn't - only the specific elite spell list is, the same way that wizards aren't unique because they cast spells but because of which ones and how.

It might be nice also to give a few class features that let you explicitly damage buildings and structures more easily. They don't need to be strong (the class itself is pretty strong already) but it might help fit the theme a bit.
    Maybe. I admit that I'm having trouble finding ideas for features that fit the theme, do enough that you won't forget you have them, and don't push the already-high power of the class too much.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Thanks

Changed it up:
    Special: Must have failed a will save, reflex save, and fortitude save against 3 different spells that would have a negative effect.
    Is that better?
    [quote[
    Witch was a base class I was trying to figure out, which died, burnt in an oven and came out as a muffin... Not sure how there but it did, seriously.
    Darkspeech affects both evil and non-evil, however it would be best in that case to be evil as the effects are worse then when you are good, however it still has a negative effect (I don't have the BoVD with me atm). This way when it would be beneficial you can obtain alignment benefits, but when it isn't you still don't have to worry... Did that clear it up at all?
    [/quote]

Yes, that does clear it up. Maybe add that as an example so it is clear how this functions?

Components were purposely left out, as I felt it was balanced by the fact that most (I think all, 'cept for undead creating ones) spells with a costly material component 0-4 are low, and by the time that you get the more costly ones you barely even scratch your WBL. I also thought losing 5-9's was a big penalty that'd balance it as well. If you still feel it is too OP I'll say you have to pay any material etc costs, but otherwise keep it as is.
    Probably not an issue.

Arcane Atoms: My first thought was that you did not get nearly enough, but then you do multiply by your casting stat, which (I assume you count magic items?) can get pretty high so it should be good
    Actually, you only add the casting stat. Should it be multiplied? Honestly, I'm not really sure what the correct number is here. Getting the right total number of points is the one design issue that I had the most difficulty with.

Does using arcane atoms bypass a level cap for damaging spells (So, if I am an 8th level atomosmage can I soup up my searing fireball?) I won't think it would be too bad as blasting (Even though that is a favorite thing to do) is usually seen as suboptimal.
    I wasn't thinking of it doing so, but given that one is spending extra resources to do it, it would probably be reasonably balanced to let them do so and would make their abilities a little more unique. Language to that effect added.

Arcane Sensitivity: Love this, although my OCD makes me point out, your (Ex) should go before the colon; (Ex):
    Fixed.
    KNowing if an object is magical: So, if I pick up something with GMW on it does it register as a magic object? Also, I would let this apply to effects made from magic, such as a fire wall/of ice (if you don't have DeMa up you technically don't know it is magical :eyeroll:)
    That was essentially the intent. I'll add a bit more text to clarify that.

MR: well, this is alright but a wizard has a good will save... as do most full-casters (Try to think of one who doesn't, you might beat me ). Immediate action... do you need to use this before you see the outcome of your will save or after, for example:
    DM: 'ey youse, make a will save
    Player: Alright, [rolls]
    DM: Awh, so close, but you needed a 12 not 11.
    Player: Actually...
    Clarified so that after roll before find out success or failure.

BF: Meh, not gonna kill you, although 1 of them isn't very nice... maybe 2 XD
    The class is only 8 levels long, so I'm not sure where to stick another one. And sticking a second at the same level seems a bit much?

Bodily Integrity: have some small typing error; "full spell into your body. . You "
    Fixed.

I was thinking, for BI and MR Maybe combine them and give them Mettle (per hexblade) activated by spending points? (Then you could work in another feature as well if you combined them like that )
    Hmm, I'll think about this and then have to make a decision on this later. That might be a function of what other class feature to give. If you have a suggestion I'll be happy to think about it.

EC: Nice... although with buffing saves, and everything else I would reduce the cost to 3 points
    Changed.

DtD: Maybe gain some when you cast a spell unaugmented by arcane atoms as well as how it is now?
    Hmm, that seems reasonable. Maybe the spell level/3, which would help with the issue of the total number of AA not being too high?

PP: The problem here is that caster level is (apparently) extremely easy to bump over 60... so maybe level in classes that advance arcane spellcasting (which would still allow UM to qualify twice... hmm.)
    Hmm. I think a reasonable wording on that would be that a UM would only advance that once. I'll just say any class levels or prestige class levels which advance arcane spellcasting and then note explicitly that classes like UM only count once.

Ability Idea: The ability to "steal" atoms from the energy of other mages casting spells. For example if Mr Archmage drops a couple Orb of X you get a few atomos points... I would base the gain rate off... maybe the square root of SL+CL?
    Hmm, maybe? I worry about putting in square roots into a class feature because it might already be seen as too mathy and intimidating when one is using so many fiddly bits? Also, where to put it? Maybe if combine the two integrity abilities, put this at 5th level? I'll have to think about it.

the feats:
    Atomos Focus: This is better then the feat that gives +4 points, and if playing a game with retraining (and not starting at higher level anyways) then I would start with the +4 (if I needed it) and later retrain for this... I would in fact add:
    Special: Upon reaching 8th level this feat may be changed out for Atomos Focus.
    to the other for those games that don't use retraining.
    I think you meant Extra Atomos here, but yes, good point, will do.

AT: seems alright, not really much going on here, just for the dual casters. Would work nicely in gestalt though.
    Oh, hmm. I didn't think about the gestalt context. Is it balanced there? I haven't thought about it that much, but I think it would be nice but not breaking.

AC: you give HP 1:1 and I would also say: for every 4 hit points that you grant the creature it gains a +1 enhancement bonus to strength, con, or dexterit at your choice. The effects of this feat stack with themselves.
    Good call done.

AN: maybe something like the feats from libris mortis allowing you to add some bonuses to their physical stats? Also, this should be able to improve turn resistance.
    The concern is precisely that I wanted this reasonably balanced with the Book of Bad Latin in terms of people making really strong undead using the corpsecrafter line of feats and this. Would adding more to physical stats be balanced with that? I'm not sure. I agree about turning and have added that.

OA: Don't do binding (have the book, haven't had the time to read it) but seems you have a text error; "First, you may when you make a" I would take out the you may, or switch it "First, when you make a binding check you may..."
    Binder is absolutely awesome and flavorful and wonderful, and you should read it. And fixed.

RA: I would make this points equal to the spell level you dispel, also forgot some other dispel stuff, I would just say spells that dispel as just in core there is also MD... which most don't use, but it is there... non-core there is dispelling screen off the top of my head.
    Fixed.
    Last edited by JoshuaZ; 2017-11-10 at 12:25 PM.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[quote[
    Yes, that does clear it up. Maybe add that as an example so it is clear how this functions?
    Will do.
    Actually, you only add the casting stat. Should it be multiplied? Honestly, I'm not really sure what the correct number is here. Getting the right total number of points is the one design issue that I had the most difficulty with.
    I thought you multiplied level+stat by 2?
    The class is only 8 levels long, so I'm not sure where to stick another one. And sticking a second at the same level seems a bit much?
    Fair enough, I was thinking form a 10 level point of view, my bad
    Hmm, I'll think about this and then have to make a decision on this later. That might be a function of what other class feature to give. If you have a suggestion I'll be happy to think about it.
    Besides the one that I already said nothing atm
    Hmm, that seems reasonable. Maybe the spell level/3, which would help with the issue of the total number of AA not being too high?
    yeah, that'd be nice.
    Hmm. I think a reasonable wording on that would be that a UM would only advance that once. I'll just say any class levels or prestige class levels which advance arcane spellcasting and then note explicitly that classes like UM only count once.
    Yeah, that works
    Hmm, maybe? I worry about putting in square roots into a class feature because it might already be seen as too mathy and intimidating when one is using so many fiddly bits? Also, where to put it? Maybe if combine the two integrity abilities, put this at 5th level? I'll have to think about it.
    Fair enough
    [/quote]
    Oh, hmm. I didn't think about the gestalt context. Is it balanced there? I haven't thought about it that much, but I think it would be nice but not breaking.
    I prefer it over non-gestalt honestly and think it would be fine.
    The concern is precisely that I wanted this reasonably balanced with the Book of Bad Latin in terms of people making really strong undead using the corpsecrafter line of feats and this. Would adding more to physical stats be balanced with that? I'm not sure. I agree about turning and have added that.
    Ah, yeah the dedicated necromancer will prob have them anyhow. Fair enough then.
    Binder is absolutely awesome and flavorful and wonderful, and you should read it. And fixed.
    I'll give it a look... possibly soon, depending on what I have to do this weekend...

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive Master

The first three levels seems to have fit its primary goals of being a non-evil hive focused class that is reasonably balanced. Bravo. There's something marked as "Special" in the last level in the table that doesn't seem to be explained in the PrC?
    Thanks for the compliment. Note that you change the picks for the casting "progression" each day, so you can grab whatever (available) power source you wish for it. I should probably add a line or two stopping that progression from breeching your actual character level, just so that builds with bloated Will and Knowledge(Nature) can't get away with accelerated casting and thus have to "settle for" getting stuff in other power sources.

As for the Special thing, that's a place holder for feat access. I've settled on having it be the Swarm that selects feats for itself, using your statline, but I can't quite figure out what to do with the name to fit the "Ten Thousand X of Y" thing I'm doing. With just five more days left, I kinda need to figure that out...

Also, Ten Thousand Touches of Thought is done. And I changed the limiter from Intelligence skill bonus to only care about Intelligence modifier, so you need a +10 Int modifier to have the full 30 HD pre-Epic. This isn't that hard to get, but it prevents dumping of Int for non-Wizard/Archivist entries, as intended. A minimum of 13 Int or a +6 Int item is needed to get it. And to fully outweigh the penalties eats huge amounts of character resources because you have a -34 penalty to all skills from two ability scores.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    As for the Special thing, that's a place holder for feat access. I've settled on having it be the Swarm that selects feats for itself, using your statline, but I can't quite figure out what to do with the name to fit the "Ten Thousand X of Y" thing I'm doing. With just five more days left, I kinda need to figure that out...
    Note, I am willing to extend the deadline if you need it

Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok. I moved Bodily Integrity and Mental Resilience into a single ability, moved Dust to Dust down, and then added a new ability "Salvage Arcana" to 7th level which uses the recovery mechanic of making a save against an arcane spell. I've used your square root suggestion with a slight tweak to make sure that it doesn't give too many points. Hopefully if someone is already willing to play a PrC with this many fiddly bits they wont mind taking a square root on occasion.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ok. I moved Bodily Integrity and Mental Resilience into a single ability, moved Dust to Dust down, and then added a new ability "Salvage Arcana" to 7th level which uses the recovery mechanic of making a save against an arcane spell. I've used your square root suggestion with a slight tweak to make sure that it doesn't give too many points. Hopefully if someone is already willing to play a PrC with this many fiddly bits they wont mind taking a square root on occasion.
    For some reason I hear the word calculator... of course I play a lot of online or with other people who have calculators on them...

Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Note, I am willing to extend the deadline if you need it
    Oh, don't worry, I just googled "synonyms of shard" and used what came up. The big thing is that I didn't want any alliteration outside of Ten Thousand Touches of Thought. In fact, I'm finishing up that last feature right now.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Oh, don't worry, I just googled "synonyms of shard" and used what came up. The big thing is that I didn't want any alliteration outside of Ten Thousand Touches of Thought. In fact, I'm finishing up that last feature right now.
    Ah, alright then

Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Alright, so I finally decided to actually put up a part of the class and thus motivate myself to finishing it

I´m not sure if I should book a space for the spore types, I plan on making 16 (already done with a few) and each having about three manifestations but I´m not too familiar with the word limit on the forums or if reserving a post is just done so that you may link it more easily, most of the class is not there but whatever limited PEACH can be given from that small tidbit I´ll appreciate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

PEACH for what's there:
    "The Mycologist´s pool of spores is equal to: (class level*2) +your highest physical ability modifier, and it refills at the rate of 1/30 minutes in all non-planar terrains not mentioned here, 1/10 minutes in the underdark, forest and jungle terrain, 1/hour in more inhospitable terrain, such as frost fell, desert or the elemental plane of fire. "

1) I'd make it Con, as that makes more sense.
    2) Recharge time... Maybe 10/20/30 minutes since they do not regain them daily this lets most things get most of their spores back with a 8 hour rest. See below.

"and a bonus on saving throws against poison and diseases equal to ½ his mycologist level rounded up."
    Eh, could probably be immunity honestly

Part of the System:
    This addresses my problems with number 2 above.

"the Mycologist is got such a"
    Get rid of got

Rest looks good!

Ability Ideas:
    Something for debuffing, for example moving spore cloud down a couple levels and letting him "contaminate" other creatures. If you don't want to move it down then you can maybe add a swarm burst ability "enemies must make a fortitude save or be unable to act for 1/2 your level rounds as they sneeze and choke" that would then apply to the spore cloud.

Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Added one magic item and one minor artifact to the entry for the Atomos Mage. I think everything is hopefully done now.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Done? But I have a whole other half to add...

I was kidding .

Entries must be finished by Friday, and I'll try to check them over + get voting thread up on friday as well.

Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

PEACH for what's there:
    -snip-

1) I'd make it Con, as that makes more sense.
    2) Recharge time... Maybe 10/20/30 minutes since they do not regain them daily this lets most things get most of their spores back with a 8 hour rest.

"and a bonus on saving throws against poison and diseases equal to ½ his mycologist level rounded up."
    Eh, could probably be immunity honestly
    I made it the highest physical ability score so that you could play a squishier character if you want to, just foregoing abilities that use saving throws but thematically Con does make more sense so I´ll see about that.

Yeah, I guess I´ll give inmunity right off the bat.

"the Mycologist is got such a"
    Get rid of got

Rest looks good!
    but it is got it!

Ability Ideas:
    Something for debuffing, for example moving spore cloud down a couple levels and letting him "contaminate" other creatures. If you don't want to move it down then you can maybe add a swarm burst ability "enemies must make a fortitude save or be unable to act for 1/2 your level rounds as they sneeze and choke" that would then apply to the spore cloud.
    several of the manifestations allow for debuffing but I like the swarm burst idea.

Thanks for the peaching!

Important edit: could you extend the deadline to be on tuesday? I´ve roughly 12 out of the 16 spore types I wanted to make but my weekend just got suddenly packed and I don´t think I´ll be able to actually do anything during it, I could post the 12 spore types and be done with it but I like for things that have a limited number of choices to get at least twice their number of choices as options, so you can have two fully made characters using the same options be completely different.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2017-11-15 at 06:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hope I'm not to late, just added mine... Somehow didn't see this until Wednesday evening, so didn't have much time, but inspiration did strike.... Please PEACH

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Ranged Ranger View Post
    Hope I'm not to late, just added mine... Somehow didn't see this until Wednesday evening, so didn't have much time, but inspiration did strike.... Please PEACH
    Here we go.
    ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Skills: Mounted Combat
    Skills: Ride 9, Handle Animal 6, Move Silently 6, Hide 4
    Special: Friendly encounter with a warrior of one of the Fey courts
    I'm not sure about your reasoning with the skills. Also what if the player is wanting to play this class in a setting without the Fey Courts?

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: If they do not already have Martial weapon proficiency, the Sparrow Rider gains proficiency with the lance and shortbow.
    Useful, not much to say.

Slightly Riding: You may allow a potential mount to treat you as one size category smaller. This allows you to ride a creature of your normal size. Divide your weight and your equipment’s weight by 8 to determine the mount’s load.

Shared Breathing: At 2nd level, if you or your mount are able to breath without harm in your environment, then both of you can. This persists for 2 rounds after you cease to be riding the mount.
    Slightly Riding is alright the way it is. Shared Breathing is extremely useful, especially if you want to, say, use a manta ray to dive to the deepest parts of the sea around a massive crater and possibly enter the city within it. Please get that reference...

Special Riding: Starting at 3rd level, you can grant your mount one additional movement speed. Switching between these is a standard action. You gain Leaf Walking at 3rd level, Mole Speed at 4th, Foam Rider at 6th, and Leaf on the Wind at 7th.
    Leaf Walking: Your mount gains a climb speed equal to its base speed while you ride it and for 2 rounds thereafter.
    Mole Speed: Your mount gains a climbburrow speed equal to its base speed while you ride it and for 2 rounds thereafter.
    Foam Rider: Your mount gains a swim speed equal to its base speed while you ride it and for 2 rounds thereafter.
    Leaf on the Wind: Your mount gains a fly speed equal to 2x its base speed (good maneuverability) while you ride it and for 2 rounds thereafter.
    I have a few things to say about this:
    Leaf Walking: Very useful, albeit outclassed by Spider Climb(Which the caster probably already has at the earliest level you could take this PrC. ) being cast upon the mount.
    Mole Speed: I'm pretty sure you meant Burrow instead of climb there. Personally I'd put this after Foam Rider due to the power inherent in the burrow ability.
    Foam Rider: Useful, albeit you could just buy a boat and crew at this level. I'd probably also give the creature the ability to breathe underwater for the duration as well, but that's just me.
    Leaf on the Wind: There are things that I want to say but I can't articulate just how bad this ability truly is from the current RAW of it The intention is very good, don't get me wrong, but the execution isn't quite as elegant as it should be.

Now, I understand the reasoning behind using base speed, which on most land-based creatures is very good. However, if you were to, say, ride an eagle, you wouldn't get the 80 ft (average) fly speed of the eagle, you would get the 20 ft (good) fly speed the class grants it (unless I've understood that wrong). Not to mention that usually the smaller the creature the slower it is (in dnd anyways), which is why most small creatures have alternate modes of movement. This adds insult to injury if I were to ride my manta ray off the crest of a giant wave and it only dives back down into the sea due to it not having a base land speed. Which brings up another point: What if the creature you are riding has low or nonexistent base land speed but good or great speeds in other forms of movement?
    (Note: I didn't intend to use a manta ray for this example, I was just expanding upon the earlier scenario and was unaware until I started typing the bit about small creatures and movement that the manta ray was an actual animal within the SRD. So... Yeah. Awesome. )

Personally, I'd make it a flat flying ability with maneuverability and speed that scales with levels in the class and grants bonus speed based upon the lowest of the other speeds the mount would have. Like a Fly Speed equal to 5(or 10)*the Number of Sparrow Rider Class Levels (meaning the mount would have 35 or 70 ft fly speed at the level you gain the ability) starting at good maneuverability and gaining perfect at level 9.

Smaller Riding: At 5th level, you can actually become smaller when riding. This functions as Reduce person, except your strength does not change. This does not stack with Slightly Riding.
    Why not have it stack at this stage and increase the limit for small mounts at the capstone?

Shared Breathlessness: At 8th level, neither you nor your mount need to breathe.
    Useful, not much to say here.

Ride Small: At 9th level, your Slightly Riding and Smaller Riding stack. While you are only one size category smaller than your normal size, you can select mounts as if you were 2 size categories smaller than normal and you divide your weight and your equipment’s weight by 64 to determine its load. Your strength is still the same as when you are at normal size.
    So let me get this straight. If a human were to get this ability, they could be considered small and ride mounts of the Tiny and Diminutive sizes? That's fine and really gives the name to the class as Sparrows are diminutive creatures. But if it's instead they can ride mounts of the small and tiny sizes then it's a little underwhelming to say the least. And if it's that you can only ride things of the Medium or small size then that's even more underwhelming.
    Last edited by Aniikinis; 2017-11-17 at 08:17 AM.
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Missed a request earlier, I will extend the deadline until Tuesday for all submissions.

Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Missed a request earlier, I will extend the deadline until Tuesday for all submissions.
    Thanks, that gives me time to touch up the dermagraphter.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aniikinis View Post
    I'm not sure about your reasoning with the skills. Also what if the player is wanting to play this class in a setting without the Fey Courts?
    May need to change those prereq skills... some of them are for class features I didn't end up giving the class (Invisibility as a Su, some offensive Spell-like abilities)... Unless I should add those in somewhere? hmmm....
    Slightly Riding is alright the way it is. Shared Breathing is extremely useful, especially if you want to, say, use a manta ray to dive to the deepest parts of the sea around a massive crater and possibly enter the city within it. Please get that reference...
    DMG guidelines for appropriate mounts:
    At least one size category larger than the character. Also, a flying mount can carry no more than a light load aloft.
    Unless there's an errata to that section that I didn't see? Note that this feature doesn't actually change your size - this should let a medium creature ride a medium mount and a small creature ride a small mount...

Not sure, I have seen multiple works that used manta rays for traveling to Atlantis or a setting equivellant...

I have a few things to say about this:
    Leaf Walking: Very useful, albeit outclassed by Spider Climb(Which the caster probably already has at the earliest level you could take this PrC. ) being cast upon the mount.
    Mole Speed: I'm pretty sure you meant Burrow instead of climb there. Personally I'd put this after Foam Rider due to the power inherent in the burrow ability.
    Foam Rider: Useful, albeit you could just buy a boat and crew at this level. I'd probably also give the creature the ability to breathe underwater for the duration as well, but that's just me.
    Fixed Mole speed and switched it with foam speed... haven't decided on water breathing... as is you're only needing one spell/item to grant the ability to both mount and rider, or if you or the mount already have the ability then you both already have it... my old DM would have had a fit, but then again it was supposed to be a sailing/ship based setting...
    Leaf on the Wind: There are things that I want to say but I can't articulate just how bad this ability truly is from the current RAW of it The intention is very good, don't get me wrong, but the execution isn't quite as elegant as it should be.

Now, I understand the reasoning behind using base speed, which on most land-based creatures is very good. However, if you were to, say, ride an eagle, you wouldn't get the 80 ft (average) fly speed of the eagle, you would get the 20 ft (good) fly speed the class grants it (unless I've understood that wrong). Not to mention that usually the smaller the creature the slower it is (in dnd anyways), which is why most small creatures have alternate modes of movement. This adds insult to injury if I were to ride my manta ray off the crest of a giant wave and it only dives back down into the sea due to it not having a base land speed. Which brings up another point: What if the creature you are riding has low or nonexistent base land speed but good or great speeds in other forms of movement?
    (Note: I didn't intend to use a manta ray for this example, I was just expanding upon the earlier scenario and was unaware until I started typing the bit about small creatures and movement that the manta ray was an actual animal within the SRD. So... Yeah. Awesome. )

Personally, I'd make it a flat flying ability with maneuverability and speed that scales with levels in the class and grants bonus speed based upon the lowest of the other speeds the mount would have. Like a Fly Speed equal to 5(or 10)*the Number of Sparrow Rider Class Levels (meaning the mount would have 35 or 70 ft fly speed at the level you gain the ability) starting at good maneuverability and gaining perfect at level 9.
    I said base speed, not base land speed? Pretty sure that just means what the creature gets from its racial stat block before any speed enhancements are granted... Would it be better to say "...highest base speed"?

Why not have it stack at this stage and increase the limit for small mounts at the capstone?

Useful, not much to say here.

So let me get this straight. If a human were to get this ability, they could be considered small and ride mounts of the Tiny and Diminutive sizes? That's fine and really gives the name to the class as Sparrows are diminutive creatures. But if it's instead they can ride mounts of the small and tiny sizes then it's a little underwhelming to say the least. And if it's that you can only ride things of the Medium or small size then that's even more underwhelming.
    May have over nerfed this during the writing... fixed...
    Last edited by Ranged Ranger; 2017-11-17 at 12:21 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144

May need to change those prereq skills... some of them are for class features I didn't end up giving the class (Invisibility as a Su, some offensive Spell-like abilities)... Unless I should add those in somewhere? hmmm....
    Ahhh okay. Those could be useful, but I wouldn't be too pressed on it. I mean it is a fairly short class. It's a little light on it's features but it still has no dead levels. Some offensive power would be useful, but it's already bonkers for a charger build.

DMG guidelines for appropriate mounts:
    -snip-
    Unless there's an errata to that section that I didn't see? Note that this feature doesn't actually change your size - this should let a medium creature ride a medium mount and a small creature ride a small mount...
    Fully aware of that. I was saying that I didn't find any flaws with it.

Not sure, I have seen multiple works that used manta rays for traveling to Atlantis or a setting equivalent...
    Pokemon RSE getting a mantine ported over and using surf and dive to reach Sootopolis City.

Fixed Mole speed and switched it with foam speed... haven't decided on water breathing... as is you're only needing one spell/item to grant the ability to both mount and rider, or if you or the mount already have the ability then you both already have it... my old DM would have had a fit, but then again it was supposed to be a sailing/ship based setting...
    You'll have to fix it on the table too, it still gives it to you at the same level as before. Give a horse a Swim Speed, it neither has the ability to breathe water nor look normal while swimming, if it dives you are both screwed. Also, it would save on gold and spells, which are generally useful things.

I said base speed, not base land speed? Pretty sure that just means what the creature gets from its racial stat block before any speed enhancements are granted... Would it be better to say "...highest base speed"?
    The problem with that is that in 3.5 the term Base Speed refers to Base Land Speed. In all creature entries you will find every other form of movement has the mode of movement defined after the base land speed. For example:
    Quote Originally Posted by d20srd-Manta Ray
    Speed: Swim 30 ft. (6 squares)
    No Base Speed, different form of movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by d20srd-Allip
    Speed: Fly 30 ft. (perfect) (6 squares)
    Quote Originally Posted by d20srd Purple Worm
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), burrow 20 ft., swim 10 ft.
    Base Speed, and two other different forms of movement
    As you can see, every form of movement has been defined save the one for base movement over land by using feet/legs/etc.

Using the term as you were using it leads to a very confusing point where the terminology gets mixed up and it becomes a nightmare for DMs and Players alike who wish to use this.

May have over nerfed this during the writing... fixing...
    Yeah, I can agree with that
    Last edited by Aniikinis; 2017-11-17 at 12:33 PM.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

25. - Top - End - #145

MindFlayer

I would appropriate some Peach for probably the worst idea I have ever had. That's saying a lot.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

You'll have to fix it on the table too, it still gives it to you at the same level as before. Give a horse a Swim Speed, it neither has the ability to breathe water nor look normal while swimming, if it dives you are both screwed. Also, it would save on gold and spells, which are generally useful things.
    Fixed and added...

The problem with that is that in 3.5 the term Base Speed refers to Base Land Speed. In all creature entries you will find every other form of movement has the mode of movement defined after the base land speed. For example:

Base Speed, and two other different forms of movement
    As you can see, every form of movement has been defined save the one for base movement over land by using feet/legs/etc.

Using the term as you were using it leads to a very confusing point where the terminology gets mixed up and it becomes a nightmare for DMs and Players alike who wish to use this.
    Was going by the definition WotC published in the Rules of The Game Article :
    A creature's speed rating before applying any enhancements (usually from magic or from a class feature) or reductions (usually from encumbrance or other impediments) is called its base speed.
    Although on second look, that definition may have been more closely tied to the previous paragraph than I had interpreteed it... Is there a term that has the meaning I wanted?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Banned

Incidentally, does anyone have any comment on the actual elite spells for Leveller (other than "Rargleblargle wielding power that's bigger than you to fight things bigger than you has nothing to do with being small rargleblargle")? I'm not sure about a few of them... is Starstorm actually now viable as a ninth-level spell at decent OP levels, or is it too much, or even not enough? Is Abominate Metal or Stone actually a good eighth-level spell? Is Heaven's Roar too strong or too unwieldy? Is the Curse of Corrosion too plot-spellish? Can you actually grok Gravity Hammer? Is Plague worth casting except to mess with cities? And so forth.

28. - Top - End - #148

Was going by the definition WotC published in the Rules of The Game Article : Although on second look, that definition may have been more closely tied to the previous paragraph than I had interpreteed it... Is there a term that has the meaning I wanted?
    I'm afraid that there isn't that I've been able to tell. Spells, items, and stat blocks assume that the main mode of movement is Base Land Speed. You can clarify this by adding a bit of text that says "(or highest move speed)" or something, or you could just as easily make it similar to what I posted earlier. DnD is just a very fun system to work in, right?

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    I would appropriate some Peach for probably the worst idea I have ever had. That's saying a lot.
    Flavorwise, it's great as an April Fool's type class... It might be a fun way to make NPC versions of various classes (probably rename it Apprentice X class to fit into standard settings...

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    Internship (EX): -SNIP- If your current professional level is less then your class level +5 then you must seek out a new professional to learn from, and cannot gain additional levels until you find a new professional. Experience accumulated while searching for a new professional is put in a side pool. Once a new professional is acquired, the XP is gained at a rate of 500 x the new professional's level in the chosen class per week.
    Assuming the bolded is only until the pool is used up? Need to specify that...

Does Got my Certificate convert the Intern Levels into Levels of the class you were interning in?

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Incidentally, does anyone have any comment on the actual elite spells for Leveller (other than "Rargleblargle wielding power that's bigger than you to fight things bigger than you has nothing to do with being small rargleblargle")? I'm not sure about a few of them... is Starstorm actually now viable as a ninth-level spell at decent OP levels, or is it too much, or even not enough? Is Abominate Metal or Stone actually a good eighth-level spell? Is Heaven's Roar too strong or too unwieldy? Is the Curse of Corrosion too plot-spellish? Can you actually grok Gravity Hammer? Is Plague worth casting except to mess with cities? And so forth.
    To be fair, if I was ever going to use any of those spells, I'd be a CE caster with a grudge against those snobby paladins in that shining city. I really doubt that they're much stronger than Gate, Wish, or anything like that. To be frank, I'd say they're pretty average for spells of their level from around SL4 or so. The ones on the lower levels I'd love to take but they're not really OP or anything.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew