New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Question about reflavor

Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
    But then, again, I'm the type of DM (and player) who believes that if you want to look cool but your character can't pull it off, that you need to live with the consequences of that.
    Honest questions:

Would you be OK with magic refluffed as crow-magic (Magic Missile = Crows attacking, Fireball, Portal to Crow-town and they peck the **** out of everyone..etc).

Would you be OK with said crow-magus fluffing his carried quarterstaff attacks to be crows attacking his enemies (magic crows from the staff)?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
    Honest questions:

Would you be OK with magic refluffed as crow-magic (Magic Missile = Crows attacking, Fireball, Portal to Crow-town and they peck the **** out of everyone..etc).

Would you be OK with said crow-magus fluffing his carried quarterstaff attacks to be crows attacking his enemies (magic crows from the staff)?
    At first pass yes, with regards to magic missile.
    I'd be cool with the magic missiles being crow shaped, but I'd probably draw the line at summoning actual crows to do it. That wouldn't really cause any differences in the spell itself or its abilities.
    But, I'd also be fine with a magic user inventing such a spell if they wanted to have it be actual physical ravens. Instead of evocation it would be conjuration. It may or may not require a crow feather as a material component, and it may or may not work exactly like magic missile (piercing vs. force damage, something like that). Would also need to figure out how damage boosting abilities interact with it, if at all.

For a wizard, spell research is obvious. As a sorcerer, it's a little harder, but if they roleplayed the aspects well enough, including potentially hiring a wizard to help with spell research and manipulation, I'd probably allow it, perhaps with a ritual to help "teach" the sorcerer the spell (at a level when said sorcerer would be allowed to learn a new spell known). For a warlock, I'd probably make it a bonus spell for the Raven Queen.

I'd have to consider it a little more, but from a first impression perspective yes to magic missiles that are raven shaped, and a strong likely to actually creating a spell for physical raven attacks.

Granted- This is for magic missile only. Other spells would have to be on a case by case basis. A wizard with a crow fetish will need to have some deep pockets, as would the sorcerer.

Missed your fireball example. That... not so much. Making it a portal would be an entirely different school of magic. You'd have to create a new spell to do so with the proper spell research. I also wouldn't make the fireball "crow" shaped either, since that would be more like a firebird than fireball, which can cause issues with shapes and AoE.
    Last edited by Mikal; 2017-10-16 at 03:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2017-10-16 at 09:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124

DwarfFighterGuy

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2017-10-16 at 09:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Colossus in the Playground

Ah, but allowing a Wizard to fluff his magic missiles as crows is far more mechanically effective than letting them stay as bolts of force! After all, crows are the scariest bird!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Ah, but allowing a Wizard to fluff his magic missiles as crows is far more mechanically effective than letting them stay as bolts of force! After all, crows are the scariest bird!
    That's nice. I didn't say the wizard could fluff magic missiles as crows. I said he could make magic missiles crow shaped. They're still magic missiles. They don't have feathers, they don't actually become birds. They're the same color as the standard magic missile, and do exactly the same thing. They aren't called "crow bombs" or "raven rampage".
    No one considers it a different spell from magic missile.

Just like- gasp- I'm also ok with someone modifying their handaxe to look like a mini battle axe, even though it's still called a handaxe!

If they wanted them to be actual crows, it'd be a conjuration spell and would require research.

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2017-10-16 at 09:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
    {scrubbed}
    {scrubbed}

There's pretty much no benefit to having them be fluffed as crows, or, to be more precise and pedantic, crow-SHAPED.

Likewise, there's no mechanical benefit to having a sword-shaped handaxe. You've yet to explain the mechanical benefit of what I posted earlier, by the way.

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2017-10-16 at 09:17 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #128

DwarfFighterGuy

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2017-10-16 at 09:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129

Planetar

I played a goliath barbarian who used a dire elk's shinbone as a Maul, despite it looking like a greatclub. it even has better stats than a greatclub! but who cares because it made the game more fun for everyone!

10. - Top - End - #130

Quote Originally Posted by alchahest View Post
    I played a goliath barbarian who used a dire elk's shinbone as a Maul, despite it looking like a greatclub. it even has better stats than a greatclub! but who cares because it made the game more fun for everyone!
    Sounds like a good game. Glad you have a good time, Alch. :)

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

The suggestions in this thread are things that should be part of the rules to begin with, really. Either a generic weapons table, or even class-based damage dice (though the latter would require different multiclassing rules).
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #132

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Sounds like a good game. Glad you have a good time, Alch. :)
    funny story: it was originally the thighbone but then I looked at an Elk Skeleton and yikes that is a gigantically wide and short bone.

13. - Top - End - #133

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by alchahest View Post
    funny story: it was originally the thighbone but then I looked at an Elk Skeleton and yikes that is a gigantically wide and short bone.
    That means you could sharpen the edge, attach it to a handle, and use it as an axe.

A battelk axe.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

14. - Top - End - #134

Planetar

actually probably going to make an adamantine axe blade for it at some point. maybe magical~

who knows but it's a fun image!

I can't wait to hear how a bone is actually an improvised weapon so it's only a D4