New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Pact of Chain + Quickling + Shillelagh, Does this Work ?

Ok im throwing around character ideas for a game i could be joining next week

and this one came to thought for me. Ill be able to start at lv4 so this would be doable in terms of level.

Lv3 Fey Pact Warlock PoC Quickling
    this means it can attack, if i give up my attack, and it can deliver Touch spells

Lv1 in Druid to get Shillelagh , which is a touch spell, and a bonus action

Could i use Shillelagh , and have the quickling pass it on to his dagger instead of my weapon. and since its a bonus action i can still have him Attack.

Quicking normally can attack 3 times with (1d4+6) so 3d4+18

Shillelagh makes the weapon a d8

so would it work in making it so the Quickling could attack 3 times with a d8 making it (3d8+18)

Min damage 21
    Max damage 42
    Average damage 31

Edit: forgot it had to be a club or Quarter Staff, the DM i have would probably let me give him a club instead of a dagger anyway since its the same base damage
    Last edited by SaA; 2017-10-16 at 10:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pact of Chain + Quickling + Shillelagh, Does this Work ?

Try whatever your DM lets you get away with. Your familiar only gets one attack if you give up one of your attacks (usually just the 1 unless you multiclass for more). So a quickling isn't a great option even if your DM does house rule you can get one.

There are complications with Shillelagh. I'd probably let it work though it seems intended to only work for you. More importantly though, it makes it use your casting ability, i.e. charisma. So if the DM lets you transfer it to a stick the quickling is carrying, he would use charisma instead of strength. I think they have low charisma and low strength if memory serves so their attack bonus would be awful. Up to DM discretion whether they're proficient. I'd let them be with a club, a very simple weapon, but you'd have to ask your DM.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-10-16 at 10:22 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shillelagh is cast on a quarterstaff or club.
    so the quickling would have to be proficient in simple weapons (likely)
    and it would use your Cha for it's attack, considering you cast the spell, and not it.

also you get to command to attack

Additionally, when you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to make one attack of its own.

Also you managed to get a quickling as a familiar, I'm impressed...
    Last edited by 8wGremlin; 2017-10-16 at 11:14 PM. Reason: quoted rules after i checked

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Chainpact Warlock has no way of using charisma for the Shillegh since it's not a class spell for a warlock. The only other way to get to use charisma is 6 levels in Lore Bard (another Charisma spellcaster). Otherwise both through multiclass or Magic Initiate you would have to use Wisdom to calculate your spellcasting ability for the cantrip. (Or just use your/quickling's Strength if your Wisdom is lower than either one of those)

Tomepact Warlock could, of course, but then you wouldn't get the chained familiar. Decisions, Decisions
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-10-17 at 05:36 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

I would rule:

Quote Originally Posted by SaA View Post
    Lv3 Fey Pact Warlock PoC Quickling
    Quickling is not an option for a familiar but if you have a good justification and background story, I'd consider it.

Lv1 in Druid to get Shillelagh , which is a touch spell, and a bonus action
    Just checking, you have 13+ CHA and 13+ WIS?

Could i use Shillelagh , and have the quickling pass it on to his dagger instead of my weapon.
    Not on the dagger, no, because shillelagh is cast on a club or staff. in addition, it requires a club or staff that you hold. The familiar could certainly deliver the touch spell, but since you have to be holding the club or staff, it's a bit pointless.

Using a familiar to deliver a spell does not make the familiar the caster of the spell. All the familiar does is extend the range of touch spells to 100 feet.

Quicking normally can attack 3 times with (1d4+6) so 3d4+18
    Yeah, that's part of the reason why a quickling is not an option for a familiar.

forgot it had to be a club or Quarter Staff, the DM i have would probably let me give him a club instead of a dagger anyway since its the same base damage
    No, it isn't. A club is not a finesse weapon, so the quickling would be attacking at -1 and doing 1d6-3 damage.

6. - Top - End - #6

Devil

Related question...

Shillelagh says the weapon it makes is magical. What does that mean, exactly? Is it a +1 - 3 weapon? If so or not what, if any, other benefits come with that?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by samcifer View Post
    Related question...

Shillelagh says the weapon it makes is magical. What does that mean, exactly? Is it a +1 - 3 weapon? If so or not what, if any, other benefits come with that?
    All that means is that Shillelagh makes the weapon magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance and immunity; it provides no bonus to hit or damage.

To the OP, I agree with everything greenstone said. Your DM is free to rule otherwise, but by RAW your plan won't work, I'm afraid.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Shillelagh is not a Touch Attack nor a Melee Spell Attack.

It is a spell with a range of tough though, so a Familiar can indeed deliver it. From that point on, it will use your wisdom modifier (If you're using Shillelagh as a Druid) to attack/damage and use d8 on a club/quarterstuff. I don't have the entry for a quickling in 5e so I don't know about it's touch attack and how it would interact with Shillelagh, or if it is able to be a Familiar Option for a Warlock.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

you can't have a quickling- your options are the standard ones, plus sprite, psuedodragon, imp, or quasit.

There are a couple of things that I would allow as expanded options, but quickling's +8 to attacks is too much at level 3, and I don't think anyone would argue that that's fair or balanced in good faith.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound438 View Post
    you can't have a quickling- your options are the standard ones, plus sprite, psuedodragon, imp, or quasit.

There are a couple of things that I would allow as expanded options, but quickling's +8 to attacks is too much at level 3, and I don't think anyone would argue that that's fair or balanced in good faith.
    By RAW, yes. But as already mentioned, any DM is free to make own rulings whether or not to allow something else than those listed in the class feature. Excluding AL, of course, where all DM's must follow the official guidelines.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I just want to repeat this because it's significant and kind of makes the rest of your plan moot IMHO. A chain familiar only ever gets one attack in place of one of your own. Doesn't matter that a quickling normally gets three. It was pointed out that they have +8 to hit which is high for a familiar and it's high because their CR is 2 when the highest familiar CR by RAW is 1 (imp or quasit). Maybe you have a really generous DM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

One more reason this won't work

The spell ends if you cast it again or if you let go of the weapon.
    If your familiar has the weapon, then you aren't holding it. Thus killing the spell
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Perhaps a more reasonable option would be Magic Stone?

It's written so that anybody can throw them, and that it uses your casting modifier. The familiar could deliver the touch to the stones (that it is carrying in a pouch) and then use d6 + your charisma for attack and damage. No multiclass needed as it is a warlock spell, and the familiar could attack from 60 feet away.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trampaige View Post

It's written so that anybody can throw them, and that it uses your casting modifier. The familiar could deliver the touch to the stones (that it is carrying in a pouch) and then use d6 + your charisma for attack and damage. No multiclass needed as it is a warlock spell, and the familiar could attack from 60 feet away.
    That's a great idea. The familiar stands next to some slingers, casting magic stone and handing the stones to them, while you stand 100 feet behind them, hopefully out of range of counterattack.

15. - Top - End - #15

Lizardfolk

That brings up a question for me. The familiar is just delivering a touch spell while the character is still the one actually casting it, correct? That could make for an interesting use to avoid counterspell or a silence area by being too far away. Very good for a cleric if they have a familiar.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

just to quickly clear up one other thing:

shillelagh does not *make* you use wisdom. it *lets* you use wisdom. you can still use the normal modifier if you want (for quarterstaff and club, that generally means strength of course). that, of course, does not particularly help the quickling, but it is an important distinction.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trampaige View Post

magic stone does seem interesting

do you know if it stacks with Sling damage gaining the 1d4 damage from using the sling ?

cause its weird if it does the same damage from just being thrown

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    That's a great idea. The familiar stands next to some slingers, casting magic stone and handing the stones to them, while you stand 100 feet behind them, hopefully out of range of counterattack.
    The problem is that making the familiar attack, you must use your attack action, which means no attacking or spellcasting for you, unless you have extra attack. And even then they make only one attack, even if they have multiattack. Druid however may do that by conjuring woodland beings, but it would be very clunky.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

magic stone does seem interesting

do you know if it stacks with Sling damage gaining the 1d4 damage from using the sling ?

cause its weird if it does the same damage from just being thrown
    it's even weirder that it has worse range when using a sling. And, no, it unfortunately doesn't add a d4 to its damage.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound438 View Post
    it's even weirder that it has worse range when using a sling. And, no, it unfortunately doesn't add a d4 to its damage.
    A range of 30/120 isn't strictly worse than a range of 60. You effectively can use a sling to attack a more distant target than the magic alone would allow, even if you do so with disadvantage.