New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: The Firstborn of Death [Adeptus Evangelion]

Mmmmm, you hear that, Yuuta?! That moment where he just snaps?! Like a pane of glass cracked in his mind. It's all over. He lost his credibility when he lost his cool. Move in for the kill. Now.

Yuuta offered no semblance of malice in his tone, though his words spoke for themselves. "You wait for mine." He paused just long enough for that to sink in before continuing, "No pilot input... projections fictional. Pilots provide real data." He taps the side of his head, "Data... here. Not equipment. Can't record, see things you can't. Like... radar can't show colors. Important data, gone... because you can't see." He taps his head again, "Not gone, because up here. No one asked. Oversight. Understandable - you can't see it. Telling you now. Ask. Need real data before testing. More data, less risk, less expense. Money is finite. Less money, less development."
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

When Seiko turns up, Kenzaki is initially apprehensive - Alia's vulnerable right now, and he didn't know how she'd take advantage of that. However, when Seiko does speak, he instead responds to her with an appreciative smile. She seems to have helped to some extent rather than hindered, even if just a small diversion, and he can't fault her for that. After all, he didn't hate her, he was just concerned about (or scared of) the danger she presents and what she might to do him, to Alia (even if she acts out of love and devotion), to the Academy. While she's acting like this, not going too far, he sees no need to keep on at her.

Most of his attention, however, is taken up by Alia. Even though he doesn't say much, he watches her, taking in what she's doing and understanding as best he can. Much of him wants to give her a hug, to tell her that all will be well, but his caution and worry (Alphie's previous words on the topic have stuck in his mind) win out and he doesn't, looking at her hand on his shoes.

When Alphie asks the others to leave, Kenzaki remains sitting where he and Alia were for a few moments. When Seiko and the other scientists leave, he gets up and goes after Alphie and Alia. "I want to stay. I've talked to Alia about this stuff before - her and Sakuya, us and the Scythes in general - and I've started to understand her viewpoint, understand her and Sakuya, how she feels - how she sees the dummy plug. I think that'll be helpful - I need to know that she'll be better, I need to help her, I've been helping her a lot recently. Please? I can't not care, can't just walk away."
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2017-12-20 at 12:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243

Seeing Kenzaki go after Alia. Seiko follows. She's not going to leave the two of them along when she has cause to interfere. But she holds back. She doesn't get close enough to speak, just close enough to see and listen in. They're both concerns. But Alphie can't be touched. Rose would never allow it.

4. - Top - End - #244

”Kenzaki...” Alphie seems to have calmed down a bit with the scientists having departed. “I need you to-...” She trails off, then shakes her head and turns back around to face him, setting Alia in front of Kenzaki gently, giving him a chance to take over as her support (since she’s probably not strong enough to stand). “Just... Never mind. Take her to Sakuya. I’m not equipped to deal with people properly right now.”

She starts walking towards Seiko. ”But I don’t have to be proper with you, do I? Come, let’s go for a walk.” She smiles, and it seems... surprisingly sincere? “You want to know more about Alia, don’t you? And I want to know more about you. So let’s have a chat.”

—————————————

Baki just puts rubs his temples, bewilderment giving way to general disappointment. “Yuuta, you realize the point of a controlled test is to get data, right? Not doing the test because you want the data first is like pushing your car somewhere because you want to save gas for the trip there.”
    Last edited by Vrock_Summoner; 2017-12-21 at 12:02 AM.

5. - Top - End - #245

Griffon

Alia slumps onto Kenzaki when she's handed off, just as inanimate as she was in Alphie's arms. It's a little confusing, but...

Her thoughts trail off, mind becoming as empty as her aimless gaze.

6. - Top - End - #246

Seiko freezes. She's handing Alia over to Souji, and trying to move her away from them. She wants to ignore her, to follow Alia to her destination... but authority binds. Souji doesn't deserve her, but he won't hurt her. He's not that foolish. Instead she just keeps a cold glare as she looks into Alphie's eyes. "...fine. Tell me." She pauses, then forces out another word. "Please."

7. - Top - End - #247

GreenSorcererElf

Yuuta seems flabbergasted. He shakes his head, barely restraining a laugh, and obviously so. What else is there to do but laugh at this point?

"You don't... you don't get it. Okay. It's okay. I know I'm..." He taps the side of his head a little harder now, "Not important. Do what you want - always will. Warned you. All I can do. Can't explain. Maybe my fault - can't make you see. What is blue? Can you explain color to the blind? Maybe you can - you can talk. I can't. I will... um... minimize consequences. Can't promise none."
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248

Kenzaki nods and takes over as Alia's support, before helping her towards the hangar. He gives Seiko one last glance, worried about her potential reaction, but but seems...well not fine, but not immediately concerning either.

As he walks, he looks at Alia, full of concern. Despite what he said, he's only scratched the surface of understanding her and her mind, but he gives a try at helping, even if it comes out sounding g more disorganised and less considered than usual. "Hey. Don't worry, Sakuya's fine. I'm sorry about all this, if I knew what was going on I'd have told them that it was a bad idea, told them about how much you care for Sakuya, how you see her and feel about her..." He trails off for a moment before continuing. "Can I help any more than just taking you there? I do really care about you, you know, so whatever you need I'll do my best."

9. - Top - End - #249

Griffon

Warm...

It takes Alia a long time to notice Kenzaki's body heat - like she herself is so far away from her body. A tiny flame in the back of her skull, looking out through distant eyes and detached flesh.

His words don't really reach her - they're long faded by the time she could have received them - but something of their echo prompts her to speak in turn.

"I don't--... Why--... ..."

She blinks a few times, and some light returns to her eyes. She seems to realize who she's with, though she doesn't really look at him properly.

"...I don't think I can make... anyone understand, or accept... their feelings, either. The humans think it's okay... to put a stranger into our Scythes. I don't. And I don't... know what to do."

Her voice and shoulders both start to quaver slightly at the end. There's a certain clip to her words that suggest she isn't finding the ones she really wants, that she's trying to express some idea or feeling that she can't figure out how to articulate.

10. - Top - End - #250

Kenzaki is quiet for a moment, thinking. "I want to understand. I'll admit, I still don't fully understand, but I'm learning and feeling more and more like I get you. And if I can understand, so can they - if nothing else, I can talk to them in a way they will understand, tell them how you feel. It won't be easy but I'll try, for you. So don't give up on them, on me, okay?"

11. - Top - End - #251

Griffon

Alia bows her head in thought for a while.
    "Okay... I'll try. I'll work hard too, Kenzaki... because it's you. But it's hard, so... let me think."

She absorbs herself in thought, sometimes moving her lips or muttering incomprehensibly as they stagger the last distance to the hangar.

When they reach Sakuya, she leads them up the scaffolding to the head tier, then frees herself from Kenzaki's support and picks her way across Sakuya's shoulder until she can nestle herself in the curve of her Scythe's neck.

For a moment it looks like she might have fallen asleep there; then she lets out a huge sigh, like the world's been lifted from her shoulders.

"It's okay. You should get to know Sakuya too, Kenzaki. Come here."

Alia gathers her thoughts once more, then begins her attempt to communicate her feelings once more. It's a bit of a leap, assuming that the way humans feel about each other might be comparable to the way she feels about Sakuya and other people, but it's the best approach she could come up with just now.

She speaks slowly and clearly, giving Kenzaki time to follow along and build up the scenario in his head. She can only provide the framework - he has to fill it with his own emotions if it's to work at all.

"Imagine... You and Seiko Akagi. You've been together a very long time; you've endured your deepest pain and had your most secret thoughts together. You've been inside her many times, where... where no one else has." She swallows loudly.
    "You trust her to protect you and she relies on you to guide and support her, when absolutely nobody else will. You even fight sometimes, because you can't hide your true feelings from each other, and you know she will forgive you even if you disagree.

"Is that okay? I don't really... well. I think that's how the doctor explained how humans affirm their intimate relationships.

"Anyway. One day, you're told that a hum-- a boy, who you've never seen or met before, will be doing with Seiko the kinds of things that only you have done with her until now. That boy is more like Seiko than you could ever be, and you don't know how she feels about this. Everybody else is cheering him on; you're the only one who can protect your precious partner, your precious Seiko, the one you've relied on for so long. And...

"Ah... that's... I can't think of what else to say. I don't know if that made sense to you. ...?"

She trails off awkwardly, staring at Kenzaki as she tries to read his reactions, to find some glimmer of understanding or hint of comprehensible feedback.
    Of course, trying to read him is like trying to read a Chinese webpage. Picking out the familiar signs still leaves so much undeciphered...

12. - Top - End - #252

Alphie begins to wander off, sort of just expecting Seiko to follow. ”Well, to avoid wasting your time, it’d be good to start with what you already know. What is Alia to you? Do you think she’s a good person?” She looks around quickly to make sure nobody’s nearby, then says more quietly, “I know about the psychologist, so please don’t try to play it off. We both have more to gain here from being honest.” Despite the subject matter, Alphie seems downright chipper, like she’s discussing juicy gossip rather than...

13. - Top - End - #253

Seiko follows Alphie, at first, only to rush ahead of her and block their progress after she mentions the psychologist. "If you know about that, then you should know what she means to me. Everything. She is more than a good person. She is... divine, wouldn't you say? You should know her. I don't understand how people can be troubled by her, aside from when she's distressed. I've seen... hmph. She's not an ordinary mortal. She's special in a way I could never share, never describe. No one deserves her patience, her attention. Not even me... but if I can do anything for her, if I can earn her attention, her trust, her love... it's worth any cost. The thought of being separated from her... that's my one fear. I'll die in the line of battle. I'll take every scar the world throws at me. I'll give my life to any cause. As long as it means keeping her safe, and being able to see her. Be near her. Protect her. What Rose did-" Seiko pulls at her collar, assuming Alphie knows what it is. "-is meaningless to me. She made her real threat before it was even on my neck. Even if I felt Rose didn't deserve my obedience- I would do whatever she said, as long as she held that thread."

Seiko looks away. "I don't think you'll really get it, though. I didn't, until... well. There's a point in the life of anyone devoted, that single moment when they realized the spark of the divine... that's what I saw in her. That's what I feel. The sight of her... it gives me comfort and warmth that I've never felt. You likely know everything. You know my past. There is a purity in order... but it's nothing like what I feel around her. It's one thing to feel purposeful, it's another thing entirely to feel happy. Maybe you've felt it. Maybe you haven't. I don't know. I doubt you've felt anything with that purity, though. What she offers, what she brings... it's just..." She's tearing up. She can't help it anymore. She angrily turns, swiping at the air. "All I want to do is be near her! All I want is for her to notice me! And no one wants that! Everyone wants to steal her away, leave me with nothing- again. I don't enjoy hurting people. I just... I just... please..." Seiko slumps down onto the ground, trying and failing to restrain her tears.

14. - Top - End - #254

Kenzaki nods and joins her on Sakuya, sitting next to her and listening. He immediately gets a little mentally thrown by her using him and Seiko as a couple for her analogy, but it makes sense - they're the two humans she knows of as people with names. What succeeds on distracting him is her reference to him being inside her. He wasn't expecting that, and he can't help but imagine it. It's not an entirely unwelcome thought - he does apparently find her attractive, and he'd be lying if he said he never thought back looking to when he saw her changing in the limo - but he was here to talk about Alia, so he tried to put that aside and focus on her. All he succeeds in is adding Alia to the thoughts. Dammit. This was the kind of stuff he's been trying to put been doing design all the time. Okay. Focus.

He gets his mind somewhat under control - at least, enough for the conversation to take up his main focus - as Alia goes into her analogy of the dummy plug being a rival boy. Interesting.

"I see. Yeah, I get it. I don't think any of them have quite grasped how much you feel about Sakuya - like a lover, I suppose. It's hard enough for most people to think of the Scythes as people, let alone consider the relationship with one. I'll try to get them to see your point of view though - to see, know and care about you like I do."

15. - Top - End - #255

Griffon

Alia laughs faintly and lays her head on Kenzaki's shoulder. "Ehehehe. You're kind, Kenzaki. If you can make the others think like you, and Seiko is protecting Sakuya and me, everything might..."

She trails off into a massive yawn.
    "Today was... tiring. Good night, Ken...zaki...

"Thank you."

And then she's out like a light.

16. - Top - End - #256

Kenzaki grins and puts his arm around Alia as she settles down to sleep. He felt pretty good - he seems to have helped her deal with the plug, they've understood each other more than ever and Seiko...well, that's becoming more complicated than he thought. Although the thoughts and images Alia inadvertently brought up are still prominent, he tries to think about things with regards to her more...normally, he supposes, coming to the conclusion that it'll all depend on what happens with Alphie. He hopes that it's going well - he does still think that things can be resolved with Seiko, so long as her more dangerous aspects are under control for all their sakes.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2017-12-21 at 12:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257

Spoiler: “Yuuta”
    Show
    Your vision fills with static as you stand there waiting. You hear two voices in the corner of your hearing, like something on a phone line a foot from your ear - audible, but frustratingly quiet. It sounds like... Alphie and... you can’t describe the other voice in any terms except that it reminds of being screamed at by yourself. Just... calmer.

Having a crisis again, little girl?

I...

You’re an insult. All you have to do is crush her, just point out to her how flawed she is and that she can never be worth Alia, and the one worthwhile thing you’ve ever committed yourself to will be wrapped up all nice in a bow.

But...

But you’re too spineless to hurt her, aren’t you? Just because she’s a kid. Even though she’s a murderer. Or does she remind you of—

No. Be quiet. Whatever she is... She’s alone and she can’t handle her burdens alone. You are irrelevant.

So is Alia, apparently.

I... I will goddamn save them both! Go to Hell!

Sure. I’ll wait for you there after you screw it up for everyone because you can’t settle for anything less than a perfect record.

The static fades back out of sight and the sounds fade.

Spoiler: “Seiko”
    Show
    Alphie pauses for just a moment, then kneels before Seiko and catches her in a hug. She seems to be holding back tears herself as she speaks.

”Seiko... I don’t want to keep you apart from Alia.” Alphie releases the hug but keeps her hands on Seiko’s shoulders. “But you need to understand how much pressure that puts on Alia. She may not look the part, but she’s a lot younger than you, and she’s not ready for something as heavy as taking sole responsibility for your happiness, especially if she can’t offload any of that burden on others that she cares about. I understand that what you want more than anything is to be a loyal devotee, or perhaps even a lover, but that’s not what Alia needs. Right now, what she needs is a family. And that’s my concern, that you’re idolizing isolation between you two and will hurt others to get that.”

She wipes a tear from Seiko’s face. “If you’re willing to accept Alia having a whole family without endangering the others she relies on, then I’d be happy to help you be part of that family.”
    Last edited by Vrock_Summoner; 2017-12-25 at 10:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258

What does she think she's- Seiko has no capacity to think. She's still trying and failing to restrain her tears as Alphie comes in for the hug. She doesn't know how to process this. It's not in her system. But her words. Alphie's words. How does she process them.

"No... you don't get it... she doesn't need to be responsible for me... I need to be responsible for her. Being near her is all I need. I want to be the one to keep her safe. I want to protect her. Protect Sakuya. Protect everything she loves. It is -her- decision what I am to her. Wouldn't you agree? Just because she hasn't been through what I have doesn't make her younger... just more fragile, more in need of protection. Protection only I can offer. The only ones with the killer instinct to truly protect someone don't seem to care about her. Can't I be that? If I can't be her lover... can't I be her weapon?"

19. - Top - End - #259

Alphie shakes her head a bit. ”Seiko, no, when I say younger, I mean literally. She has a genetic condition that’s causing her to go through puberty a lot more quickly than normal, but she’s only ten years old.”

She sighs. “Listen, right now, you’re speaking in a lot of poetic platitudes. Your heart isn’t in the wrong place, but you’re being extremely unrealistic. The only dangers Alia is facing at this point are the Xibalbans, which you’re already fighting alongside her, and radiation poisoning, which you can’t just protect her from by fighting hard enough. The reason you keep hurting people is because you’re so desperate to be her knight in shining armor that you’re imagining threats where there aren’t any. Hell, even with the psychologist, you’re smart enough that you should’ve figured the game out. If you didn’t treat him as a threat and attack him, then he wouldn’t have been a threat. His only dirt on you was the idea that you would become violent with barely any reason as long as you could spin it to yourself as doing it for Alia. By not striking out at him, you’d have won. It was the most straightforward test you could’ve gotten and you broke down completely.

And let me make it clear, I’m not saying that to insult you. I understand the thought process - fighting is what you’ve done your whole life, so of course it’s the first thing you think to do for someone else. But if you were telling the truth, and Alia is even more important to you than your own need to fulfill you fighting instinct? Then you need to pay attention to what she actually needs, not what you want her to need.”

20. - Top - End - #260

Seiko's crying is starting to fade. "So what. She's still Alia. The only thing where age matters is... well, I won't be concerned with that, then. But..." She shakes her head. "You don't get it. I am a weapon. There's no poeticism to it- it's what I live for, what I was made for. I even... never mind. But all that matters is in the end, fighting is the only thing I can do. Rose knows this. Rose understands me. You don't. Not in the least, no matter what you try and say. You can't treat me like Souji or Yuuta. I'm not like either of them. I'm just..." She chokes back further tears. "A blade untouched lies still and goes to rust. Rose can use me as a sword. I respect her, and I will fight for her. She gives me purpose. But I don't feel anything for her. I don't think you'd want me to. Unless there's hypocrisy in your denouncement of the Old Man. But Alia... you see her purity. She's the only thing that could make me anything other than a sword. I'd still fight... but to defend, not destroy. As far Alia... do you really think you can protect her? Do you really think there's nothing else to threaten her? The world is dangerous. I've seen her hurt. Badly hurt. I don't... I don't want to see it again. And you tell me I couldn't have protected her from her sickness... do you really believe that? If... if I hadn't held back for so long... maybe I could've saved her then. I tried. But there's power I have yet to tap, power that could have saved her. A barrier. But no one can make me what you want me to be. So there are your options. Rose's Sword, Alia's Shield, or... nothing. A broken shell. " Seiko's tears have passed. She looks at Alphie with cold steel in her eyes. "And now that I've told you all this... it's on your conscience. Do you want to put me on the path to death? The path to emptiness? Or the path to hope? Choose."

21. - Top - End - #261

GreenSorcererElf

Yuuta drums his fingers on his leg, considering his options.

------------------------------------------

Yuuta-

Just stop.

Shan't. You're considering doing something dangerous.

More dangerous than bombing a secure base?

Yes, because you're not planning. Not planning is dangerous and you know it.

Is that the real reason? It's not because I'm about to threaten your counterpart?

You're under the very mistaken impression that there's some sort of secret network of voices of reason. I'm in full support of you being useful to someone, but you have no clue how to do that.

Alright, we're done here. Keep quiet or I'm coming for you next.

Yuuta starts moving through the halls. He saw the direction one of them went at least. People flock together, right? Of course they do - it's one of their more confusing and annoying traits. Wandering, listening. So many places to be. If I was Alphie, where would I go? Somewhere important. What is important in this context? Wait, I hear talking. There we go. Sorry, Seiko. I don't have the time or interest in whatever it is you're doing on the floor. This is important.

He walks directly to Alphie and grabs her face in both hands.

"Yuuta, what-?"

"Wait. I need to talk to it." Yuuta brings his face very close to Alphie's and looks directly into her left eye. "I can hear you. And I know you can hear me. You don't believe me, do you?"

Yuuta, stop-

"But you’re too spineless to hurt her, aren’t you? Just because she’s a kid. Even though she’s a murderer."

Yuuta, you don't know what you're doing!

Yuuta is sweating profusely at this point, his pupils dilating. "Oh, do I have your attention now? I'm going to give you a small taste of what I am. And you're never going to hurt Alphie again."

Yuuta, you're going to kill her!

...Yuuta? Yuuta, I'm sorry, buddy. I really am. I tried. This isn't what I wanted. Come on, say something. Do something. Get mad. Threaten me. At least stand up. Please be okay.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262

Spoiler: “Kenzaki and Alia”
    Show
    Alia gets less than a minute to drift off before a deafening mechanical creak and the sounds of cables snapping jolts her awake. Her and Kenzaki’s eyes are immediately drawn to the movement of S-068, docked directly next to Sakuya. It lurches forward to break free of some of its restraints, though all it does with the motion is set its hand on the bridge to stabilize itself standing. The metal plates around its mouth shatter, revealing a toothy maw which immediately unhinges to hang wide open. Through all this, its moves remain slow and stunted and its eyes remain dead, as if despite coming to life it is still catatonic.

A gurgling emanates from the titanic beast’s throat, its neck bulging and bubbling with some kind of building pressure. At once its eyes flash open, shattering the visor normally covering them, and radiating an impossibly material light that stains the walls and your bodies with hues of light purple while oscillating like a wave of sludge towards and through the far wall, carrying with it a screech like a thousand nails on chalkboards surrounding you from every direction.

Even as the physics-defying synesthesia before you rattles your mind, you feel a painful pit in your stomach, like the muscles of your core are being scooped out and leaving nothing but hollowness. It’s all the healthy Kenzaki can do to maintain his stability and keep Alia upright; being already weak for her part, Alia is likely to lose what little of her lunch she may have been retaining. (Sorry.)

The event soon subsides and the Scythe falls back asleep, almost crashing down onto the bridge if not for the handful of its support and restraint beams still holding. Its mouth remains slack-jawed with bits of metal clinging where they had once bound the beast’s maw shut.

Spoiler: “Yuuta and Seiko”
    Show
    As Yuuta utters his final line, everything seems to hang heavy and silent for an especially long moment. Alphie is staring at Yuuta with utter bewilderment and a growing mixture of concern and even frustration.

”Yuuta, what in God’s flaming-“

She’s cut off by a wave of purplish light that oscillates visibly through the wall, moving through the air like a liquid and staining the surroundings. It carries with it a massive, debilitating shrieking, like an amp’s pitch breaking directly in your ears. The waves of slimy light converge on Alphie, sucking and slurping their way into her head as her amplified feral screams distort the light waves into a fractal of shattering glass spreading out from her. The cracks in this image begin to seep bluish-red liquid and drag down the pitch of the screams with their drip, as if this congealed mess of color and sound given shape is now bleeding out its cries.

After a few moments of pulsating, one of the fragmented sections of the glassy construct dissolves into dust, causing the rest to implode inward back onto Alphie as her body seems to explode in reverse, reforming itself from the inside-out from the milky light and sucking crystal.

As the light fades, you’re both left extremely light-headed, to the point where if you were standing at the start you definitely can’t anymore. Yet the sweet release of actually passing out refuses you, and instead your head gets lighter and lighter until it’s like torture and you feel the urge to die just so you don’t have to experience this anymore, like your eyeballs are going to pop and your head is being drilled into from every direction and-

The pain stops. You’re on the ground.

The world comes back. Slowly. You’re not sure you want it.

Nothing in the hall has changed, except that all of you are on the ground. Unlike you two, Alphie seems quite unconscious.

Spoiler: “Kenichi”
    Show
    A horrible sensation courses through you without warning. It’s sort of like hearing nails scratched across a chalkboard, but it’s happening inside your skull, and you’re overcome with nausea and the feeling of horrible pressure in your eyes. You almost get light-headed enough to need to sit, but the feeling passes soon enough. The scientists and Baki seem to lack your resilience, clutching their heads and pitching over from the traumatic and seemingly random occurrence.

You’re left at the end only with your heart racing, everything seeming tinged a weird shade of purple for a minute, and a feeling that you no longer belong in a human body. Just a tad disorienting.

23. - Top - End - #263

GreenSorcererElf

Come on, Yuuta. Come on, buddy. You gotta get up. Alphie needs you. It's not over yet. She's still breathing. There you go. I know everything hurts. That doesn't matter right now. Rely on yourself and only yourself to get her to medical. Hands under her shoulders, drag slowly. Not your best skill, but that's okay. Going slow is better right now.

Please don't write that report, Yuuta. If you do, you'll realize that you can fix everything in your life except for the fact that you just wrote that report. Yuuta-

No, it's over now. The threat to the scythe program isn't external - it's me. That was the warning. At the dance, remember? I didn't take it seriously then. Rose needs to be made aware. Once Alphie gets to medical, I'm going to put together my report of this incident.

They'll never believe it.

Maybe you're right. Maybe she won't believe it. I cannot account for other people - only myself. If she doesn't, there's still one possibility.

Yuuta, come on. Alphie will fix this. Have a little faith in her.

...Okay. I can do that. But I won't concede on the report.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264

Deep in thought, Kenzaki is caught a little off guard when S-068...wakes up. This was bad. He intently watches the Scythe, committing what he saw to memory, until the...screech? Wave?...hits them. All he can do is focus on keeping himself and Alia safe, bringing her into a hug. This was bad - the closest thing he could compare it to was when the Xibalban attacked his mind.

As it seems to subside and he feels a little better, Kenzaki relaxes a little, letting go of his hug to just support Alia like usual. Looking at the Scythe, he pulls out his phone and calls Alphie. She needs to know about this, and if anyone knows what's going on it'd be her. As he waits for a response, he wonders how wide an area this thing affected, and what it means.

25. - Top - End - #265

Seiko claws herself up off the ground. what was that what was that WHAT WAS THAT She'd barely had time to process Yuuta's arrival before everything happened. What did he do? And now he was just... trying to drag Alphie away. There's some kind of power in him. If he could do that so easily... she'd been looking past him too easily. There's power in there. A horrifying amount of power.

...better get on his good side, then.

Seiko walks over and lifts Alphie's other side to help carry her, ignoring the ringing coming from her person. She still doesn't find herself caring enough about Alphie herself... she tried to treat Seiko like... naive. Foolish. But Yuuta seems to care. And right now, getting on Yuuta's good side seems like the right idea. "I'll help."

26. - Top - End - #266

Griffon

Roppachi's struggles and soul-piercing cry jolt Alia out of her drowsiness, followed shortly by jolting what remains of her sandwich out of her stomach and onto Sakuya's shoulder.

"Ro-urp-Roppachi! Sorry Sakuya, I'll clean you up later!"

Once her feet are stable, Alia leaps into action! ...Well, more like staggers, relying a lot on Kenzaki and Sakuya for support. The heart is willing but the flesh is weak!

She makes her way down to where Roppachi had fallen, completely failing to notice the swarm of engineers. She gently strokes its jaw line and lays her forehead against its cheek.

"Oh, Roppachi... You're suffering too, aren't you? Your pilot's not here for you, but... I'll do my best to support you in that human's stead. Here now..."

Alia is silent for a moment, still softly stroking the Scythe's jaw. She starts to sing a lullaby, though struggles to find the melody at first; then she's cut off by another wave of thin vomit, falling to her knees. Her whole body quivers, as much with frustration and grief as physical weakness.

27. - Top - End - #267

After the phone rings unanswered for a short while, Kenzaki hangs up, focusing on helping Alia up and over to the Scythe - apparently Alia had a name for it even if Yuuta didn't seem to. As she starts to reassure it, Kenzaki figures she can be left there for a moment and tries to talk to the a senior member of the crew present. "Any idea what that was? Can I help in any way?"
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2017-12-26 at 06:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Once the feeling of nausea had passed and his body felt like he belonged in it once more Kenichi would move towards Baki and crouching down beside him to check on him. "Are you alright? Do you have any idea what that was"

29. - Top - End - #269

GreenSorcererElf

No, I have to deal with this myself. I can't rely on anyone.

That's not what I meant, Yuuta. Seiko can help. I just meant don't wait for someone else to do it.

But why is she helping Alphie? Their conversation was going poorly.

She's not helping Alphie. She's helping you.

But why would she help me?

She's always been decent to you, even if she doesn't understand the social limitations brought on by your autism. But a more immediate reason is fear.

Fear? Of me?

What you just did was terrifying. You can use this-

Not now.

You can use this to help Alphie. If she fears your power, and knows you only used it to protect Alphie, you can use that. You know already that Seiko killed someone. Make sure that if she kills again, it's not Alphie.

"Thank you."

His tone normally ranged from wooden to strained with nervousness, but this is different. Now he simply sounds... dead. Something is very wrong, and that much is patently obvious to anyone who knows him.

"Alphie's inner voice wanted to hurt you. Alphie refused, insisted on helping you instead, so it became abusive. I destroyed it to protect her. There were unintended consequences. I will remain with her until Rose returns, and I can hand in my incident report. I do not trust Baki to handle it properly."
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270

Alphie... wanted to hurt Seiko? Or her inner voice did? Does everyone have someone living in their head now? At least Kirika is nice to her. The rest of them seem like... jerks. Not that it mattered. He was trying to protect Alphie. He wouldn't have cared what the voice said if it was being nice to Alphie, even if it was telling her to hurt Seiko. Because of course, deep down, she wanted to.

No. She didn't have anyone in her head. That was her, pure and simple. The real her. Behind the mask. Behind the truth.

But you’re too spineless to hurt her, aren’t you? Just because she’s a kid. Even though she’s a murderer.

It makes so much more sense now. Alphie doesn't care about her. She's just a coward. She doesn't have the instinct to strike to kill. Instead she tried to 'help' by turning Seiko away from what she knew. So much more reasonable. Another coward. Another liar. Hopefully she'll never wake up from this.

"...no. Don't you see? If you can do this to her... you're capable of so much. This isn't the time to withdraw. This is the time to hone this skill. Make it a perfect weapon. Imagine being able to do this to anyone, anywhere... or imagine being able to do it to a Xibalban... don't you see your potential? Yuuta... walk the path of the fighter. With me. Don't turn away from it. We can help each other. And if you care about her... if you want to fix her... isn't the best way to understand what it is you did? Maybe if you knew, you could undo it. And then... you control the mind, I control the body... and in the end, we control everything. The two of us, we save the world. Wouldn't that make her happy?"