New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: League of Legends LXVIII: "MY PICK'EMS!" Part II: Who Didn't Get Out of Groups?

I'm actually not trying to be overly critical about it. Some of the design I think really works. Having his coat not all the way on with the sleeves draping around him his a nice touch that reminds me of Napoleon, even though I can't seem to find any picture of Napoleon doing this in a quick google search.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: League of Legends LXVIII: "MY PICK'EMS!" Part II: Who Didn't Get Out of Groups?

U. G. L. Y. You ain't got no alibi. Put that scarf back on.

... I like scarves. Scarves rulz ok

That said, if their idea was to make Swain into a bird mage then they've utterly failed. There's pretty much no bird motif in his abilities. Just generic demonic red and black particle effects. The bird motif was far stronger in his old design.

The passive seems interesting. With Nevermove it can be a pretty strong displacement.

But seriously. He needs a scarf.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    U. G. L. Y. You ain't got no alibi. Put that scarf back on.

... I like scarves. Scarves rulz ok

That said, if their idea was to make Swain into a bird mage then they've utterly failed. There's pretty much no bird motif in his abilities. Just generic demonic red and black particle effects. The bird motif was far stronger in his old design.

The passive seems interesting. With Nevermove it can be a pretty strong displacement.

But seriously. He needs a scarf.
    That is kinda true. I am curious what the goal was. His two competing themes were always great general and evil bird mage. Now his abilities don’t really seem to focus on either. Sort of a generic warlock who occasionally talks about strategy and birds.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

This really just makes me wish they'd kept the old Swain and brought in this guy as a new champion. I'm not even sure you'd have to change him hardly at all for both to fit here.
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

I think they're trying to evoke "general" with the delayed attack that goes outside your vision, plus his passive working off of allied CC, and "birds" purely through particle effects on his passive? But yeah... he's only a little more of a strategist, and about equal in birdiness, and they could have given the same kit with non-bird particle effects to an entirely new champion and kept Swain.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

The ult is basically the same...

He looks like if Lucius Malfoy was a Sith Lord. He even gets the good old zappity zap. I'm a general fan of the kit. The E and W both look really interesting, and I do like what tweaks they did make to the ult to make it more dramatic. The only boring ability is the Q, but that's okay. It's just a damage cone that adds some reliable damage and waveclear to the kit (since they made the ult an ult, and not a toggle). That's fine to have.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2018-01-23 at 07:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ivellius View Post
    This really just makes me wish they'd kept the old Swain and brought in this guy as a new champion. I'm not even sure you'd have to change him hardly at all for both to fit here.
    I don't disagree, but you could say the same thing about several other champion reworks. SonofZeal actually said the same exact thing about poppy.

It really doesn't capture bird mage to me. And I'm not totally sure how any of it is a General barring possible VO lines.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Psssh. That's been a sentiment since the Sion rework.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    Psssh. That's been a sentiment since the Sion rework.
    Was there anything before Sion? I think the Karma rework was prior but that's the only one coming to mind.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    Psssh. That's been a sentiment since the Sion Karma rework.
    Fixed that for you.

I still miss original Karma.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Fixed that for you.

I still miss original Karma.
    Trundle is and always will be the bitter plague-ridden outcast of a dead tribe. Fight me.

12. - Top - End - #252

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter11 View Post
    I don't disagree, but you could say the same thing about several other champion reworks. SonofZeal actually said the same exact thing about poppy.
    Oh, definitely. Old Galio, Taric, and Karma should definitely be in the game alongside their new counterparts. Old Fiora is probably worthy of inclusion, too. Most of the others, off the top of my head, had kits that justified reworks and were more or less solved by the new version, though I wish Skarner could just be reverted to one of his earlier incarnations, or alternatively the new version still feels pretty close to the old.
    Last edited by Ivellius; 2018-01-23 at 08:15 PM.
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, definitely. Old Galio, Taric, and Karma should definitely be in the game alongside their new counterparts. Old Fiora is probably worthy of inclusion, too. Most of the others, off the top of my head, had some clear problems with their kits that justified reworks and were more or less solved by the new version, though I wish Skarner could just be reverted to one of his earlier incarnations.
    I'm not so sure about Galio and Taric - those were pretty close to their new kits, might be too similar to have both at once.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #254

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I'm not so sure about Galio and Taric - those were pretty close to their new kits, might be too similar to have both at once.
    This is mostly assuming that Riot found different visuals / concepts for the champions, and had they done so they wouldn't feel all that close. Although personally, I'd have been fine with new Galio getting a completely different name and being a different creation (probably from a different sculptor) and wouldn't bat an eye.
    DM's Guild Work

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

This is mostly assuming that Riot found different visuals / concepts for the champions, and had they done so they wouldn't feel all that close. Although personally, I'd have been fine with new Galio getting a completely different name and being a different creation (probably from a different sculptor) and wouldn't bat an eye.
    ...Hm.

Actually, looking to confirm things, I checked the abilities. It looks like I played the old versions so much more than the new ones that I actually forgot some of the details of the changes - thought Taric still had the armor-aura-into-armor-shred and Galio had the self-heal-on-damage defensive buff.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2018-01-23 at 08:29 PM.
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Trundle is and always will be the bitter plague-ridden outcast of a dead tribe. Fight me.
    Maybe I'm forgetting something, but was there even a reason to change his lore? I mean none of his abilities changed if memory serves.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

17. - Top - End - #257

BlueKnightGuy

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but was there even a reason to change his lore? I mean none of his abilities changed if memory serves.
    Needed to make him prettier. Riot found that no one wanted to play such an ugly champion, so they were hoping an ice troll would be cooler. They were also getting rid of the League of Legends but wouldn't announce it for another year and a half, I think it was?
    Last edited by Ivellius; 2018-01-23 at 08:52 PM.
    DM's Guild Work

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

I wasn't around then, but word on the street is that the character concept repelled more people than it drew in.

Edit: On the PBE Swain has a cool effect that periodically ravens fly in and perch on terrain nearby... watching...
    Last edited by PhantomFox; 2018-01-23 at 08:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Someone drew a concept art of an Ice Trundle skin and they liked it so much they decided to make that the base form.

A few weeks later when people started complaining they made some excuse that old Trundle's lore had nowhere to develop. Which was a heaping pile of bull, but that seems to be just what Riot says when people don't like the new lore.

20. - Top - End - #260

Oh, definitely. Old Galio, Taric, and Karma should definitely be in the game alongside their new counterparts. Old Fiora is probably worthy of inclusion, too. Most of the others, off the top of my head, had kits that justified reworks and were more or less solved by the new version, though I wish Skarner could just be reverted to one of his earlier incarnations, or alternatively the new version still feels pretty close to the old.
    As much as I sometimes miss playing old Fiora, the kit wasn't good for game health. Same with Poppy.

Galio rework was pretty much a complete success in my mind. It maintains a lot of the feel of his old kit while making it sleaker and more modern. I don't think it would make sense to have the clunky old version of his kit alongside the new one.

I feel like Rioters have admitted that the Karma rework and how they went about it was a mistake, but I'm not positive on that.

(Can't really comment on Taric, and agree that new and old Skarner feel pretty similar to me)

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

lore team was feeling lazy.

ACTUAL REASON RIOT GAVE.

let that sink in.

As for a rework, they slightly modified 3 of his abilities. small slow on Q, removed tenacity and added increased heal on w, ult now steals % instead of flat. They made trundle players wait 2 years for the above changes. and you wonder why I'm still bitter.

As for Swain, he's been on Riots bad list since before he was released, remember how original torment was so anti-fun it had to be changed before release but after champ spotlight recording, and then stuck on Fizzes bloody W as a passive?
    Last edited by 9mm; 2018-01-23 at 09:50 PM.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    lore team was feeling lazy.

ACTUAL REASON RIOT GAVE.

let that sink in.
    Do you have a quote of this?

Incidentally, I don't think any of the narrative team from 5 years ago when the Trundle VGU happened are around today.

... Or like 90% of the company as it is today. Huh.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinboom View Post

Incidentally, I don't think any of the narrative team from 5 years ago when the Trundle VGU happened are around today.

Still get to blame them for Targon though, right?

24. - Top - End - #264

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    As for a rework, they slightly modified 3 of his abilities. small slow on Q, removed tenacity and added increased heal on w, ult now steals % instead of flat. They made trundle players wait 2 years for the above changes. and you wonder why I'm still bitter.
    I believe the pillar knockback was also new, though I could be mistaken on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinboom View Post

This isn't entirely current Riot's fault, but the narrative approach for years has been to keep rewriting introductory stories until they get ready to change them again.

And not that I was the original person, but I imagine the relevant quote is found here from Riot Runaan:

"You guys are right: Trundle’s old story was compelling. It was a strong arc with a cathartic ending that finished the story of Trundle’s involvement with his tribe. The thing is, that story was effectively finished. Any evolution from the point at which Trundle decides to doom his tribe felt arbitrary when we discussed it internally.

We explored evolving Trundle into a frost troll as a solution to the problem of his story feeling complete. For example, we tried stories like “ice of Freljord slowed the disease” or “the Ice Witch cured him,” but they felt like Band-Aid solutions to get from Story A to Story B. This would not have been meaningful character development; it would have been an excuse to move the story forward in an inorganic way. A fresh start allowed us to create a strong, compelling, and open-ended story for Trundle.

Trundle’s old story was essentially finished, but new Trundle’s story is only just beginning. It’s essentially Act 1… where will the rest of the Troll King’s story take us?"
    I don't think casting that as "lazy writers" is terribly inaccurate, though I can see why that description might chafe.

Edit: On further reading, also see here for Rioters' perspective at PAX in September 2013:

'We learned a ton on Trundle’s relaunch,' said senior character artist Joshua Singh during the PAX panel. 'My personal opinion is that I freaking love new Trundle, he is badass. But it was very abrupt and I think it could have been been handled a little more delicately as far as the lore [was concerned]. It caused some controversy and a lot of threads.'

[...]

'Trundle’s story had nowhere to go, he had no destination,' reasoned champion designer Ryan Scott. 'It was finished. There was nowhere else to go with that character.'

That said, Scott told the PAX audience that his team had 'talked a lot' about more sensitive ways Riot might introduce similarly seismic shifts in character development in the future.

'I think we’re really happy with the end result on Trundle - I think he’s objectively better from a number of standpoints,' he said. 'But I think the difference is when you make a big thematic shift like that, when you change something, you’ve got to ease people into it and take them on the journey with you.

'If we’d taken a little more time to ease into the changes, and told a complete story that eased Trundle into new Trundle - the same character going on a journey - I think that would be a much cooler way to get to that same result. It would have been a lot less like a splash of cold water to the face.'
    Spoiler alert from 2018: no, they didn't learn anything, or at least the people left behind didn't learn anything.
    Last edited by Ivellius; 2018-01-24 at 12:17 AM.
    DM's Guild Work

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

I believe the pillar knockback was also new, though I could be mistaken on that.

This isn't entirely current Riot's fault, but the narrative approach for years has been to keep rewriting introductory stories until they get ready to change them again.

And not that I was the original person, but I imagine the relevant quote is found here from Riot Runaan:

"You guys are right: Trundle’s old story was compelling. It was a strong arc with a cathartic ending that finished the story of Trundle’s involvement with his tribe. The thing is, that story was effectively finished. Any evolution from the point at which Trundle decides to doom his tribe felt arbitrary when we discussed it internally.

We explored evolving Trundle into a frost troll as a solution to the problem of his story feeling complete. For example, we tried stories like “ice of Freljord slowed the disease” or “the Ice Witch cured him,” but they felt like Band-Aid solutions to get from Story A to Story B. This would not have been meaningful character development; it would have been an excuse to move the story forward in an inorganic way. A fresh start allowed us to create a strong, compelling, and open-ended story for Trundle.

Trundle’s old story was essentially finished, but new Trundle’s story is only just beginning. It’s essentially Act 1… where will the rest of the Troll King’s story take us?"

I don't think casting that as "lazy writers" is terribly inaccurate, though I can see why that description might chafe.
    It's a heaping pile of cowdung is what that is. Nowhere to go with the character, bah. I could probably pitch 5 ideas here.

26. - Top - End - #266

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    It's a heaping pile of cowdung is what that is. Nowhere to go with the character, bah. I could probably pitch 5 ideas here.
    I mean, they even pitched ideas themselves when they were defending the change ("The Ice Witch offers him a cure!") but decided it was better to just retcon the story.

Reinboom, this isn't personal against you, but I used to love League of Legends stories. Now I can't be bothered to read them because I know they'll never go anywhere, and the world itself isn't particularly interesting or engaging--in my experience largely due to the lack of narrative weight.
    DM's Guild Work

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, they even pitched ideas themselves when they were defending the change ("The Ice Witch offers him a cure!") but decided it was better to just retcon the story.

Reinboom, this isn't personal against you, but I used to love League of Legends stories. Now I can't be bothered to read them because I know they'll never go anywhere, and the world itself isn't particularly interesting or engaging--in my experience largely due to the lack of narrative weight.
    Part of that is because they had their end goal of "ice troll" in advance. And were going to write a story to turn plague troll into ice troll. When, my core complaint here is, he should never have been changed to ice troll in the first place.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

how much expansion of his story have they done since then
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

29. - Top - End - #269
    Barbarian in the Playground

how much expansion of his story have they done since then
    Hot take: Open ended stories or a focus on lore sells better in games with large playable casts. Its easier to add or use these open ended building blocks to create whatever situation desired, both for developers and fans. See: Overwatch's "Look at my cool OC" character design and the size of the fandom.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    With a roar of effort, I make everyone agree with EternalMelon.
    Traa-tan by Demastro

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EternalMelon View Post
    Hot take: Open ended stories or a focus on lore sells better in games with large playable casts. Its easier to add or use these open ended building blocks to create whatever situation desired, both for developers and fans. See: Overwatch's "Look at my cool OC" character design and the size of the fandom.
    If you push an update saying this is because a story is complete and we want to be able to tell a story here, it would seem reasonable to expect some sort of continuance to that update. I mean the quote concludes by trying to sell that this is better for trundle players because now more lore can get made for the troll.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13