New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Default Tortle Lore Bard Gish

So, to preface, I know this isn't optimal but I don't play at an optimised table, I paid for the Tortle Pack and I rolled a decent stat spread so here I am.

I'm starting a new campaign on Saturday and I'll be rolling with this concept. I don't need to be a tank or even a primary damage dealer - our party currently consists of a monster hunter UA fighter, a vengeance paladin, a forge cleric using the Guide to Everything Extra Life preview, and a deep stalker ranger/rogue. We're level 8. Stats are sitting at 16, 9, 16, 14, 14, 16

My big question here is what spells to take as mystical secrets to boost round to round DPS. I've taken magic initiate (warlock) to pick up green flame blade, EB, and Hex to shore up at-will DPS. I was thinking spiritual weapon and armor of agathys are both solid non-concentration options. Spirit Guardians also seems like a solid choice, though we've got a cleric who can cast it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Tortle Lore Bard Gish

To be honest I wouldn't bother with Hex if you're starting at lvl8. It's golden at lower levels, but there are much better spells to use a 1st level slot on by the time you're at lvl 8.
    As a Bard you have access to faerie fire. This is almost always going to be a better choice for you and your party.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillingTime View Post
    To be honest I wouldn't bother with Hex if you're starting at lvl8. It's golden at lower levels, but there are much better spells to use a 1st level slot on by the time you're at lvl 8.
    As a Bard you have access to faerie fire. This is almost always going to be a better choice for you and your party.
    But Hex lasts, what, 8 hours and can be moved from target to target - iirc even over a long gap, like from combat to combat. But also iirc it is a concen spell, meaning you can't cast other conc spells and keep Hex going. Having a little extra damage every time you hit over 8 hours is not bad, unless you really really need to cast some other spell (and I remember how it works).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    But Hex lasts, what, 8 hours and can be moved from target to target - iirc even over a long gap, like from combat to combat. But also iirc it is a concen spell, meaning you can't cast other conc spells and keep Hex going. Having a little extra damage every time you hit over 8 hours is not bad, unless you really really need to cast some other spell (and I remember how it works).
    Hex IS a concentration spell, and only last 8 hours if cast from a level 3 spell slot. But Magic Initiate only allows it to be cast once per day at level 1 anyway. Does last an hour. It significantly ups cantrip damage - especially EB since it procs on every hit. That's 2d10+2d6 a round. Very nice.

As far as Magical Secrets...Counter Spell is a near must at somepoint. Fireball is always popular as is Lighting Bolt and for single target damage Scorching Ray seems pretty boss. Fly and Haste are two other popular options I believe.

5. - Top - End - #5

Hex works well with a Fighter and their numerous attacks per round. Or the EB blaster with the same number of attacks.

Grabbing Hex seems like a good idea, until you realize that a Bard can pick up ANY spell for levels they have slots for, and they're usually better off nabbing a nice buff or debuff for their Conc slot.

IMO, Hex isn't worth it at higher levels, unless you wanna be the off-brand Warlock that plinks away at enemies wiyh EB all day. Except worse, because you don't have Agonizing Blast.

6. - Top - End - #6

I like the oft over looked spell Melf's Minute Meteors or crusader mantle?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seekergeek View Post
    So, to preface, I know this isn't optimal but I don't play at an optimised table, I paid for the Tortle Pack and I rolled a decent stat spread so here I am.

I'm starting a new campaign on Saturday and I'll be rolling with this concept. I don't need to be a tank or even a primary damage dealer - our party currently consists of a monster hunter UA fighter, a vengeance paladin, a forge cleric using the Guide to Everything Extra Life preview, and a deep stalker ranger/rogue. We're level 8. Stats are sitting at 16, 9, 16, 14, 14, 16

My big question here is what spells to take as mystical secrets to boost round to round DPS. I've taken magic initiate (warlock) to pick up green flame blade, EB, and Hex to shore up at-will DPS. I was thinking spiritual weapon and armor of agathys are both solid non-concentration options. Spirit Guardians also seems like a solid choice, though we've got a cleric who can cast it.
    Hi!
    Well, if you need to be a tank AND a healer AND a damage dealer, I'd argue that you will have no other way than to take an optimizer mindset here. ;)

Since UA and multiclass since both allowed, I'd suggest the following to you.
    Hexblade (Tome) Warlock 2-3 / Lore Bard 6...
    Hey, sorry, scratch that, I misread. You DON'T need to be tank or primary damage dealer.

Well, considering your party (which seems like all-melee people) I'd argue that Crusader Mantle or Bless (if Forge Cleric is concentrating on something else) are the best improvements you are gonna get in performance / reliability ratio in you consider the whole party.

Other good choices include...
    - Slow: friendly, up to 6 creatures, really put a number on them.
    - Elemental Bane: for everyone, but you more particularly, good way to add damage if you use GFB on a regular basis.
    - Spiritual Weapon indeed: also great since non-concentration.

Still, there is something I don't really understand, are you reusing an existing character or making up a new one?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    Still, there is something I don't really understand, are you reusing an existing character or making up a new one?
    Oh it's a new character - it's just the first opportunity I've had to play a new character since I purchased the Tortle pack, and having spent money on it I feel a personal obligation to play the race.

Thanks for the feedback, all. I chose hex from the magic initiate feat because it seemed like the most bang for my buck for the once/day casting given its duration. Likely it would only see use when paired with using EB rather than GFB where other concentration spells would take precedence. I notice no one thinks Armor of Agathys is a good choice for a lore bard that wants to function in melee. Am I way out to lunch there? It seems like a solid option considering the lack of concentration, the static damage amount on a hit and the solid boost in temp HP as it is upcast.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seekergeek View Post
    Oh it's a new character - it's just the first opportunity I've had to play a new character since I purchased the Tortle pack, and having spent money on it I feel a personal obligation to play the race.

Thanks for the feedback, all. I chose hex from the magic initiate feat because it seemed like the most bang for my buck for the once/day casting given its duration. Likely it would only see use when paired with using EB rather than GFB where other concentration spells would take precedence. I notice no one thinks Armor of Agathys is a good choice for a lore bard that wants to function in melee. Am I way out to lunch there? It seems like a solid option considering the lack of concentration, the static damage amount on a hit and the solid boost in temp HP as it is upcast.
    Yeah, it is a choice. The thing you have to consider though is that it is designed for a class that replenishes slots on a short rest. Is it worth for you using high-level slots for an armor that will certainly help you but still be probably ended in 2 or 3 rounds max? Only you can answer. :)

Well then, if it's a new character, then I'll pull back my suggestions again.

Hexblade Warlock 2 / Lore Bard 6 : good melee damage with booming blade and CHA-weapon attacks, great ranged damage with Agonizing Blast, and you still get Magic Secrets.

Tome Warlock 3 / Lore Bard 5: take Shillelagh and Thorns Whip, next level pick Spirit Guardians with Magic Secrets, spend time pushing (Repelling Blast) / pulling (Thorns Whip) people inside.

Favored Soul Sorcerer 3 / Lore Bard 5: Extend those Life Cleric spells (Warding Bond, Aid) or Leomund's Tiny Hut for kicks, while Shielding yourself and blasting with melee/ranged cantrips.
    Last edited by Citan; 2017-10-20 at 01:16 PM.