New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: City Rules

1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: City Rules

look and see yon graphics! behold they help with understanding!

_____________What Malifice is saying is default______________________________________
    _______________________|__________________________ ___________________________
    _______________________|__________________________ ___________________________
    _where warlord is saying___|________Where Warlord is saying________Where malifice is saying
    __Malifice's position is_____|________things are expected to be_________Warlord's position is
    ______V_______________V_______________V___________ ________________V
    |-------------------------------|-------------------------------|-------------------------------|
    ZomgwtfBBQ_______All the magics _________not a lot of magics_______there is no magics

BUT BEHOLD!!!
    all of that means nothing. because it is all off topic including yon graphics!

Proposition for city laws;

all creatures designated as sub sapient must be on a leash or at least wear a collar at all times when within the city walls and not in a stable. (it takes all of a minute to resolve, but can make the druid/ranger/awakened animal a bit grumpy and it is an interesting way of making familiars free game to kill for people. "it wasn't wearing a collar so it was illegal anyway)

It is illegal to be invisible while on public property or private property without permission of the owner. (in high magic settings there may even be items for invisible servants to wear so as to not break this law.) exceptions can be made for performance purposes under the watch of the guard.

In a highly religious town; no fey or fiendish creatures may be summoned for any reason. (cue familiars suddenly being an issue and the druid may get in trouble for summoning beasts)

In an aware setting; Arcane focuses and holy symbols must be presented at the gates. those found with Evil Deity's symbols or fiendish arcane focuses will be [punishment]. (good thing the party warlock serves the great old one that no one knows the name of) (this usually wont affect the party, but it shows that the higher ups in this city at least know who the bad guy is. or if your campaign goes that way, proves just how mislead the people are by the real bad guy. or serves as an excuse for the party rogue to make a skill check to sneak things past guards.)

Guild authorization required for crafting; you may be able to do some herbalism on your own, or set up an alchemy station in your inn room, but blacksmithing is noisy. and will draw the attention of the local weaponsmith guild. (let that party member who chose guild artisan as a background actually use his feature!)

Bar brawls are a healthy part of city life. but any damage to the bar will be payed for by the participants or their possessions will be sold until the damage has been payed off.

Interupting the king is grounds for immediate legal action.

Fines must be paid at [location] (get the party to go to the castle for plot event? split the party when the rogue needs to not be seen near the castle and the barbarian needs to pay the fine for drunk and disorderly?)

also Corrupt government officials could make any law the DM wanted. Corrupt official is getting bribed by the party? guess what laws about weapon carry in the city have a specific exception for greatswords wielded by [identifiable characteristic of party members] did you just piss off a corrupt official? guess what asinine laws are about to be passed that specifically target the party.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Near as I can tell, that's the nature of the internet. Many people seem to transform into a dark reflection of the way they normally think and behave, safe behind their monitor.
    Yeah, can't deny that. Weirdly, I've always been the opposite--I try to be my ideal self on the internet, which is "basically the same self, but without the temper problems."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Lee View Post
    The OP,, Beefgood, hasn't posted in this thread since the OP. Assuming he's running FR, like most people, is much safer than assuming he isn't.

I realize a lot of people on this forum don't like FR. I don't care. It's what most people are playing.
    I love FR. My favorite realm, and then dragonlance.

Given that, ive never...in my 25 years of gaming played more than 1 or 2 modules from FR.

You keep saying most people play FR. Where are you getting your stats from?
    Rule 0: The most IMPORTANT rule of D&D. There is no more important rule than this rule. This is a game, and as such, you do everything you can to ensure everyone has fun. /TheEnd

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by furby076 View Post

Given that, ive never...in my 25 years of gaming played more than 1 or 2 modules from FR.

This is just a swag, but I'd say since we only have one campaign book for 5e and it's only for the sword coast, combined with most of the fluff defaulting to FR centric, it is very likely that a sizable chunk of people are playing in a world similar to but not exactly FR. I think it's also logical to assume that more people are playing in such a world than any other individual world though it probably isn't a majority of players. I would expect that most players are playing in a home brew campaign that takes a lot of the default FR fluff and just plugs it into whatever else they got going on.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by furby076 View Post

I was thinking about this, too. Forgotten Realms is the first campaign world I heard of, and it remains my favorite (largely due to the influence of Baldur's Gate, I suspect). That said, I and everyone I know always play games in our own campaign worlds. There's a pretty active roleplaying community around here, and I don't know anyone who has ever run a game in any of the established settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    This is just a swag, but I'd say since we only have one campaign book for 5e and it's only for the sword coast, combined with most of the fluff defaulting to FR centric, it is very likely that a sizable chunk of people are playing in a world similar to but not exactly FR. I think it's also logical to assume that more people are playing in such a world than any other individual world though it probably isn't a majority of players. I would expect that most players are playing in a home brew campaign that takes a lot of the default FR fluff and just plugs it into whatever else they got going on.
    This is what my friend used to do when we were in school. It worked pretty well, until we got the storytelling skills necessary to build our own worlds (which is way harder than we gave it credit for in those days). It was basically "Forgotten Realms lite."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Unfortunately I skipped pages 3-6 due to a group that seemed to be arguing over personal preferences.

I have a situation in my game that the OP asked about so this thread was very helpful. I was having trouble giving life to my cities outside of the basic descriptions. The ideas I found here were great and I hope to implement some of them in a few cities in my game.