New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Necromancy

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: Good Necromancy

He's exceptionally bland, but Ysuran, the Moon Elf Necromancer from Dark Alliance II is a chill dude who unquestioningly helps people with his 'evil' magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Erzulie Gogol from Witches Abroad.

'Okay. Sometimes... maybe just one zombie,' she said.
    'But only when there ain't no alternative.'
    'Sure, when there ain't no alternative.'
    'When... you know... people ain't showing respect, like.'
    'When the house needs paintin','

She raises the old, murdered Baron as a zombie to help Embers (discworld's Cinderella) and brutally kill all the Duc and Enchantress who conspired against him. They don't go through with the murders, though it's a near thing.
    'They might not be very good people, but they don't deserve crocodiles.'

Good is relative, of course.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm no authority on this, but my impression is that the profession of communicating with- and commanding the dead is not generally associated with malign motivations outside of your typical feudal European context. I'm thinking that modern pop cultural depictions of necromancers as Good are conceptually quite similar to traditional beliefs from all over the world.

I haven't had to chance to delve into the world proper, but I think that in the setting of the Divinity games, necromancy is just another school of magic, with no moral implications in itself.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

In the old old world addon to the swedish RPG "Drakar och Demoner" there was a small country run by the world's (known) most powerful Necromancer (he had in his back story solo'd ancient legendary dragons among other things).

Basically he was a good ruler, who had a clause for letting people live in his country:
    For 5 years after your death you had to work as an undead worker (tending to fields, doing other labor). Then he would put your soul to rest in all the proper ways. This allowed for his "Wizarddom" to be very prosperous, since the undead could work 24/7, and also that his living subjects could focus on other things, form scholary to forming a very (for such a small nation) strong military instead of doing regular work.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

In the Dresden Files, the necromancer Kumori uses her magic to preserve a dying man's life long enough for EMTs to save him.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    Wiz in KonoSuba is a Lich who guides/protects spirits and is helpful & kind to the protagonists. Though I haven't seen season 2 yet. She is technically a member of Team Evil but all she did was create a barrier and was free to leave & do whatever.
    If I remember correctly Wiz herself isn't really a necromancer (despite being a lich) but more of a barrier mage, which is what she was recruited to the Evil One's side to do with the condition that as long as she keeps his barrier up she doesn't have to get involved with any of the rest of the things he might be up to.

Oddly enough however there is still a different and unrelated example of a 'good necromancer' in Korosuba. Basically they go into a dungeon and find a different lich, but before they get to fight him they hear his story about how he used to be the court wizard for some country until he fell in love with the princess and her with him, but the king didn't approve and they had to run away to be together. Sadly while on the run she died and be basically made himself a lich in order to watch over and protect her body.
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2017-11-02 at 09:57 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

Ned from Pushing Daisies is a neat one.

His touch brings the dead back to life, a second touch kills them again. If the dead is back for more than a minute, someone else within a mile of them will die to keep the balance. He does this to both bake pies with wilting fruit and to solve crimes. You'd think the crime would be easier to solve if the victim can tell you what happened, but you'd be wrong.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Dr. Strange had a wonderful story arc where the Sorcerer Supreme learned black magic. Cut off from the extraplanar sources of his powers, he learned from the Ancient One's rival, Kaluu, to master the despised art.

His teacher was both pragmatic and principled. The moral at work was that the magic itself isn't evil; it's how it is used that determines the morality.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

The short story The Sword of Good has magic that is fuelled by death, but it doesn't specify human death so the big bad is fuelling his powers by having a large terrarium of worms that are continuously breeding and dying.

Spoiler: Big spoilers
    Show
    It turns out the big bad is actually the good guy.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Cryptic avatar made by the fantastic Linklele