New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Why does 3.X use d3 but not d(any other odd number)?

Just a thing that hit me while looking through the SRD. The small version of several weapons use 1d3 (down from 1d4), for instance. And weapons that deal 1d3 for medium creatures deal 1d2 for small creatures and shuriken go from 1d2 down to just one point of damage. Yet most other weapons reduce the damage die by an even amount, usually 2 (so 1d10 goes down to 1d8 for a small creature). So why is 1d3 used at all? And since it is used, why aren't other odd die numbers used?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Why does 3.X use d3 but not d(any other odd number)?

d2 and d3 are used solely because they let you cram in more "die steps" lower than the d4, for when small dice get smaller and such. They aren't seriously used for much of anything, and are easy to adjudicate. A d5 or a d7 doesn't really add anything but complexity.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's also easy to "cheap out" on owning a D3 by simply using a D6 with some intuitive division. The same math works with a D10 to get a D5, but I don't think I've ever seen a D14. So there's likely an availability bias at hand, there.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alent View Post
    It's also easy to "cheap out" on owning a D3 by simply using a D6 with some intuitive division. The same math works with a D10 to get a D5, but I don't think I've ever seen a D14. So there's likely an availability bias at hand, there.
    Thanks. Really should've thought of that. And then of course, there's no d18 or d22... Though now I really do want to see if there is a major change from instituting a d5. Or I guess you could do d#-1 for small weapon damage but that might screw with numbers too much. Oh well. Thanks again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Some games really do use d5s (Only War and so forth use them) but I don't think that any real D&Dlikes use them. Anything which could be a d5 can usually have been a d6 or d4 anyway.

Notably, prismatic spray and related spells would probably use a d7 if such a die existed or could really be emulated.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Many computer games based on or inspired by D&D, including MUDs and Nethack, do use d7 and other non-existent dice ("XdY"). On a computer, of course, there's no real reason not to.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Notably, prismatic spray and related spells would probably use a d7 if such a die existed or could really be emulated.
    What do you mean "if" it existed?

8. - Top - End - #8

ClericGirl

If you want to emulate a d7, roll a d8 and reroll on 8. This is generally your only option for emulation if the N in dN has prime factors other than 2, 3, or 5. (Alternately, you can use non-polyhedra but fair dice - which are generally prisims or tops* - or another fair generation option like a set of N cards).

The "reroll above x" option is generally thrown out of mathematical dice discussions because it makes the process non terminating, but in practice most tabes aren't going to care about the possibility of an endless string of 8s.

Using it on a d20 to emulate a d3, in contrast, is substantially more tedious.

*Edit: as the link above points out, edge designs can also work.
    Last edited by Hecuba; 2017-10-21 at 08:28 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, a long bit of the way it's a question of practicability ... a d3 can be emulated quite easily by tossing d6s, but otherwise its often to tedious to use other odd numbers (sure, you could make an argument for d5s via d10s, but eh) when doing it with real dice ... well you could use it for sure via rolling a higher dice and rerolling rolls higher than x, but as said, tedious.

uncommon/physically impossible dice aren't uncommon in computer games through (usually classical rogue-likes)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hecuba View Post
    Using it on a d20 to emulate a d3, in contrast, is substantially more tedious.
    ...unless you combine it with the technique for using a d(3X, X∈Z+, X>1), or in this case d18 to emulate a d3, in which case you only need to throw out a tenth of the possible results, instead of an eighth of them.

11. - Top - End - #11

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Yeah, a long bit of the way it's a question of practicability ... a d3 can be emulated quite easily by tossing d6s, but otherwise its often to tedious to use other odd numbers (sure, you could make an argument for d5s via d10s, but eh) when doing it with real dice ... well you could use it for sure via rolling a higher dice and rerolling rolls higher than x, but as said, tedious.

uncommon/physically impossible dice aren't uncommon in computer games through (usually classical rogue-likes)
    It's not a matter of just being odd. It's a mater of factorization. Anything that has only 2, 3, or 5 as prime factors works (assuming you're willing to work with a d10/2 as a d5).

For example, lets say you wanted a d40. That is not the same as 4d10, for the same reason d12 is not the same as 2d6.
    But you can get it with a d4 and a d10: (1d4 -1)*10 + d10 is, mathematically, identical to a d40.

To use another odd example, consider d75. That's 3*25, so we can first simplify to (d3-1)*25 + d25. d25 then becomes (d5-1)*5 +d5.
    That ultimately is (d3-1)*25+(d5-1)*5+d5.

(Attentive readers and Modrons may notice that we are simply converting to base system that operates in a convenient die, then truncating the highest order of magnitude to cap.
    This is the same principle that allows 2 d10s to work as a d100.)

Edit to avoid double post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    ...unless you combine it with the technique for using a d(3X, X∈Z+, X>1), or in this case d18 to emulate a d3, in which case you only need to throw out a tenth of the possible results, instead of an eighth of them.
    I meant specifically having someone roll a d20 and reroll above 3. d18 for d3, roll over on 19 & 20 is indeed how I would emulate a d3 on a d20 if needed.
    But I did have someone try the former when this was first explained to him: I had to explain that it doesn't work well if you're re-rolling out 85% of all rolls.
    Last edited by Hecuba; 2017-10-21 at 09:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Hecuba View Post
    For example, lets say you wanted a d40. That is not the same as 4d10, for the same reason d12 is not the same as 2d6.
    But you can get it with a d4 and a d10: (1d4 -1)*10 + d10 is, mathematically, identical to a d40.
    Given that this is exactly how percentile dice work, I'd hope this would be an intuitive solution to most players.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

The only other odd die that could be used is a d5. D6/2 round up is a d3. For a d5 you could use the d10, but there's no d14 etc.
    A d15 could be made with a d30, but at that point it's a bit silly.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Am I bad person for wanting to make a player roll ed(PI) now?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Various nonstandard dice exist in physical form. I own at least one d5 and d7. I've seen a d3. I've rolled friends' dice that were possibly d14s, d18s, d22s, and d100s (very big golf balls). Most people are familiar with the most standard of dice - d6, d4, d20, etc. I'd prefer not to need to pay extra when tabletop gaming to get d27s or d9s or such.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    Various nonstandard dice exist in physical form. I own at least one d5 and d7. I've seen a d3. I've rolled friends' dice that were possibly d14s, d18s, d22s, and d100s (very big golf balls). Most people are familiar with the most standard of dice - d6, d4, d20, etc. I'd prefer not to need to pay extra when tabletop gaming to get d27s or d9s or such.
    Yeah, and that is a fair argument. I hadn't really thought of the larger numbers when I made the post. The real problem is that stuff like d14's aren't common, not that a physical d7 isn't common. If dice for the even numbers between 12 and 20 were more common, the rules would likely be different and I wouldn't have even made the thread.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

You can just make a long prism with the number corners(I don't think this is the right translation​, I used Google Translate) equal to the number of options you want +2.
    Just roll it like a stick and look at that you got.

If I remember correctly someone was looking for a d54 in here and that was the solution.
    Last edited by BloodSnake'sCha; 2017-10-22 at 07:10 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    Part of it is that 4, 6, 8, 12, and 20 have been around for historical lengths of time. The Egyptians were already making regular use of 3 of them when Euclid proved there were 5, and we have evidence of the Babylonians using aag least 6 and 12 as actual die.

There are other fair dice configurations (though the 100 sided golf ball pointedly is not): the d10 is valueable because we generally operate in base 10.

But platonic solids have the benefit of a couple thousand years of use, on top of being symmetric enough that they are intuitivelh fair and easy to roll.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm still looking for the 1d63 on my sap
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Why would you expect a sap to deal so much dawizard?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Why would you expect a sap to deal so much dawizard?
    Don't fall for it... he's getting ready to tell you some sappy story and ask for gp donations.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Basically any number of faces can be made pretty easily with a spindle die design, so it's not impractical to use them if you want a game to use custom dice. With that said, custom dice are enough of a hassle that they should be best avoided unless there's a really good reason to use them or they're easily mimicked with normal dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    For the prismastic X spells in particular a d7 where each face is colored a color of the rainbow could be a lot of fun.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    It's right here, next to my scorpion whip's d43.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Basically any number of faces can be made pretty easily with a spindle die design
    Odd numbered dies have the problem of there being no single top face. If you wanted a d63, you'd probably need two 63-sided spindles of different diameters, with the larger split in half while the smaller is numbered, rotated a half-face, and secured between them.

25. - Top - End - #25

Or, y'know, just use software.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Odd numbered dies have the problem of there being no single top face. If you wanted a d63, you'd probably need two 63-sided spindles of different diameters, with the larger split in half while the smaller is numbered, rotated a half-face, and secured between them.
    Odd numbered dice will have a single top edge, so you can just use the d4 technique and label those instead of the middle of the faces.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Odd numbered dice will have a single top edge, so you can just use the d4 technique and label those instead of the middle of the faces.
    True, but at large numbers that gets very hard to read.

28. - Top - End - #28

ClericGirl

The most elegant solution I've seen for this is a top with a second flatter n-hedron set right above the top sides, (and marked with the numbers) and offset such that the corner of each of the top n-hedron Matches the is positioned below the center of the labeled n-hedron.

I saw a set 10 years ago or so, and didn't see any again until last gencon: apparently there was a woodworker in Ithaca who was making them in small batches until he passed away.

Neither of the dudes would sell them, so I'm considering bribing a local woodworker to make some: I know we have at least two who de bespoke dreadles, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

I have always found the idea of odd dice rather... odd.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Or just use a long prism with the number of sides as the number of options and ignore the two tops.